Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The game has a weird thing w/ threes in general, aside from the Archdeacons and fires there's also Three Pillars of Lothric (descriptions of the +5 stat rings offer more insight into these) and the three leaders of the Sable Church (so there's two more people like Yuria)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where is the guy I'm supposed to talk to so I can mound makers on this run? I know roughly where he is but no idea where exactly to look.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Mazerunner posted:

check his post history, for all the sweet lore

he's trolling. but pretty well! Got a bunch of people with some of them including me

i'm not

there's nito, the 4 kings and bed of chaos on the plates above the fires you put out.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

You have 53 vitality and are still over 70%. What the gently caress are you wearing???

Smaug's armor, Shield of Want, and that sword (I usually use the dark sword, keeps me under 68%)

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

BillmasterCozb posted:

:stare: Huh, you can combine Lothrian and Lorian's swords together to get a super version of their swords

That's a pretty rad callback.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Where is the guy I'm supposed to talk to so I can mound makers on this run? I know roughly where he is but no idea where exactly to look.

If you take the second (?) bonfire and hug right you'll cross a bridge and eventually find a spot with thralls on the roofs shooting darts, he's around there and so is the cage dude,

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Grand Archives, easily. What a loving nightmare. The hardest death march of the game for me.

Yeah but how about that shortcut ladder you kick down right in front of a magic spamming candle head and bookshelf with curse hands :shepface:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If nothing else, I love dark souls 3 for bringing us dragon peak, the most bluest sky in the entire series.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It was pretty disappointing I couldn't use the torch to light my candlehead up.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i'm not

there's nito, the 4 kings and bed of chaos on the plates above the fires you put out.

oh look someone else found it too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knOKQgPoAsE

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The game has a weird thing w/ threes in general, aside from the Archdeacons and fires there's also Three Pillars of Lothric (descriptions of the +5 stat rings offer more insight into these) and the three leaders of the Sable Church (so there's two more people like Yuria)

three=trinity

we got an evil pope.

it's catholicism.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Who was it that said Gotthard Twinswords were the best in this thread? I've been trying them in NG+ and, uh, the moveset doesn't seem to be any good.

This was a while ago, but I'd also like to hear from someone using the Twinswords.

Though as far as I can tell they're mostly good for PvP. For PvE you're probably doing too little damage with the L1s and if you use the R1s it's just a weaker straight sword.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Oh well that's actually really cool. Sorry to impugn upon your honour.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So am I being a total doofus because I just defeated the smoldering lake demon and I'm still using the long sword I got at the start of the game. It's +6 with fire so it's 148 physical 148 fire and quick and nice.

The only thing close to it I found was some ice sword I found in the undead village but the upgrade path to that looks poo poo.

Basically found a bunch of cool swords but they're either huge or just not strong enough.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JetsGuy posted:

So am I being a total doofus because I just defeated the smoldering lake demon and I'm still using the long sword I got at the start of the game. It's +6 with fire so it's 148 physical 148 fire and quick and nice.

The only thing close to it I found was some ice sword I found in the undead village but the upgrade path to that looks poo poo.

Basically found a bunch of cool swords but they're either huge or just not strong enough.

the butcher's knife is what got me through the game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i saw a speedrunner do the yhorm fight without the gimmick and that fight seems way cooler and if you know the OTHER gimmick isn't even very long.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

The Longsword is a super good weapon so you're not being a doofus at all.

The current weapon balance is that you should use a straight sword like the Longsword or Dark Sword unless you're having enough fun with something else to justify it being weaker. Some of the big heavy weapons are pretty good though.

Also, if you're leveling Strength and/or Dex you should remove that Fire and make it Refined. Fire doesn't scale with your stats so you'll do more damage with a physical infusion that does.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Groovelord Neato posted:

the butcher's knife is what got me through the game.

That would have been an option too and I got it as soon as I could. L

But I really like the lothric knight set and the butchers knife for a lot of the game was too heavy for it. Now that I have the carry ring I may dump all my extra shards into the BKnife that health regen perk is nice.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

JetsGuy posted:

Naw most of the "stock" weapons in these games range from "usable" to "great", I used my starting Estoc all the way through the game too

You're probably at the point where the Fire infusion's damage is a little long in the tooth due to splitting tho, unless you're only raising Vit and casting stats there's probably an infusion with better overall throughput you could be using at this point (Sharp for Dex, Heavy for Str, Refined for Str/Dex)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Harrow posted:

The Longsword is a super good weapon so you're not being a doofus at all.

The current weapon balance is that you should use a straight sword like the Longsword or Dark Sword unless you're having enough fun with something else to justify it being weaker. Some of the big heavy weapons are pretty good though.

Also, if you're leveling Strength and/or Dex you should remove that Fire and make it Refined. Fire doesn't scale with your stats so you'll do more damage with a physical infusion that does.

I am going STR that's interesting thanks. I have looked at the reinement and it looked weaker overall. Maybe I don't know how to read stats in this game.

Speaking of what's that +/- poo poo on attack?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

JetsGuy posted:

The longsword is super good. It's been a solid choice since Demon's Souls, but in this it's one of the best weapons in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

I am going STR that's interesting thanks. I have looked at the reinement and it looked weaker overall. Maybe I don't know how to read stats in this game.

Keep in mind split damage. Your Fire weapon has a higher attack rating on paper, but because it does it half physical and half fire, it has to go through two defenses. Pure damage doesn't have that issue, so while the attack is lower on your character sheet it's higher in practice.

If you're doing straight Strength, Heavy is the infusion you want.

The plus after the attack rating is the bonus you're getting from stat scaling. If it's a negative you don't meet the requirements to wield.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

JetsGuy posted:

Split damage weapons look stronger than they actually are because each of the damage types is checked against the respective defense on enemies. So if you have 200/200 physical/fire damage on your sword for a total of 400 and a monster has 100 in both defenses, you're actually doing 200 damage. Whereas if you used a sword that only does physical with 320 damage, your "real" damage would be 220, so you'd be doing 20 more damage despite the attack looking like it's 80 points lower.

The +/- poo poo after a weapon's base damage is the amount of damage bonus (or penalty, if your stat isn't high enough for the weapon) from scaling. It's just added on to the base damage of that type the weapon does, and will improve as you raise the stats the weapon scales with, which is what those letters at the bottom next to the equip requirements are.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JetsGuy posted:

That would have been an option too and I got it as soon as I could. L

But I really like the lothric knight set and the butchers knife for a lot of the game was too heavy for it. Now that I have the carry ring I may dump all my extra shards into the BKnife that health regen perk is nice.

i was a mismash of dark souls 1 characters - maneater mildred weapon, solaire chest, king jeremiah xanthous headpiece (and just pontiff feet/gaunts cuz they looked cool)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Seems my skills at this sort of game have badly deteriorated. Vordt is handing me my rear end repeatedly and often, but I don't want to summon help because that's like giving up :smith:

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

When I saw the Mildred stand in in this game my reaction was "aww, it's great that you're still getting work" which is honestly a pretty inexplicable response to a video game enemy.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

Seems my skills at this sort of game have badly deteriorated. Vordt is handing me my rear end repeatedly and often, but I don't want to summon help because that's like giving up :smith:

Roll into his attacks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Vordt is the classic boss you want to stay under and behind. When he starts charging, he always does it three times, I think.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kiggles posted:

You're still missing the point. It is the same level used twice before. The comparison with DS2 is to illustrate it is actually a different take on the mechanical design of a level. Valley of Defilement gets the pass for A) being the first in the series. B) strong/memorable thematic design. DkS1, whatever. It was bad, and for what it's worth, Farron is a better "level" than Lower Blighttown. The problem is, trudging around in muck has never been fun, but this is the THIRD TIME they're doing it.

You don't have to agree, but your initial assertion made is seem that anyone's contention was a matter of it being hard. This entire time I have been trying to communicate that it has nothing to do with it being hard. It isn't. It just isn't fun. You can have fun with it, but we aren't. I never had fun with it. I definitely don't have fun with it the third time.

Dark Souls II: I never had fun with it. I definitely don't have fun with it the third time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I figured those out right away but if I get hit even once I just get annihilated without ever finding enough respite to drink estus

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Thanks for all your help y'all and especially to those of you who kept me going when I couldn't even beat the tutorial boss lol.

It's kinda nice though that my struggles actually got me that Lothric Knight set at the wall and I've used it since lol.

Well just recently the chest because holy poo poo the weight.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Ineffiable posted:

If nothing else, I love dark souls 3 for bringing us dragon peak, the most bluest sky in the entire series.

Gosh yes, I could almost feel the crisp, cool air in that place. The Sega blue sky was totally out of left field. The view when you beat the area's endboss looking towards the dome is astounding.

A colorful summer Souls game would be seriously beautiful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Basically my problem with Farron is that instead of doing something new, they went back to the same thing they do in every game because From just loves their stupid poison swamps of tedium. Imagine if, for example, Farron didn't slow your movement constantly but your vision was heavily obscured by mist like that one forest in DS2. Navigating it would still be hard, but once you know where you're going it wouldn't be tedious to get through. They could actually put more dangerous enemies in as well instead of a plethora of slugs. Big open levels are pretty rare in this series, so having one like this would be neat. Instead its just lower Blighttown redux. Its so dull.

I actually like Shrine of Amana since they did something new with movement restriction instead of it just being another big swamp full of softball enemies. Its an interesting and unique challenge as opposed to POISON POISON POISON.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Basically my problem with Farron is that instead of doing something new, they went back to the same thing they do in every game because From just loves their stupid poison swamps of tedium. Imagine if, for example, Farron didn't slow your movement constantly but your vision was heavily obscured by mist like that one forest in DS2. Navigating it would still be hard, but once you know where you're going it wouldn't be tedious to get through. They could actually put more dangerous enemies in as well instead of a plethora of slugs. Big open levels are pretty rare in this series, so having one like this would be neat.

Instead its just lower Blighttown redux. Its so dull.

You mean what if it took inspiration from a different terrible area that nobody liked?

I dunno, I was prepared to hate Farron when I realised what it was - but I ended up kind of liking it. There's a definite atmosphere to it that I was into. It was also really short; I can't have spent more than 30 minutes or so in the swamp.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 24, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Something tells me that this Aldrich guy is going to give kind of a pain in the rear end boss to take down

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least if they have to put a poison swamp in I prefer it to be easy like the DS3 one.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's part of the charm. I've all but resigned to having valley of defilement every Souls game. They get less and less aggravating with each iteration.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Three golden bracelets for Wolnir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's part of the charm. I've all but resigned to having valley of defilement every Souls game. They get less and less aggravating with each iteration.

Valley of Defilement was the best one though.