Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I agree with all of those statements but to me it looks intentional and if you put some knobby tires on it I'd expect some road warrior to be riding it in a scene from Mad Max. So I actually like it.

Honestly the only thing I'm not sure about on that bike is the digital display and the size of the fuel tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

climboutonalimb posted:

I've been riding a 2009 Honda Rebel 250 bike for ~3 years around San Francisco and the Bay area.
Opinions?

Wow, props for dealing with that piece of poo poo bike for so long. Do you want a cruiser because of height issues or looks only?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

climboutonalimb posted:

I've been riding a 2009 Honda Rebel 250 bike for ~3 years around San Francisco and the Bay area. I got the bike to learn on and bob around town on. Since buying this bike I've met my current gf and gotten quite a bit of experience on the bike. I've been wanting to get a new bike since the Rebel struggles up some of these steep SF hills, especially 2up with my gf on the back. However, I have avoided replacing it due to not having secure parking in the city and with street parking as my only option, I am willing to risk this small, cheaper bike.

I have finally secured convenient garage parking not too far from my apartment and want to upgrade. I'd like to pay less than $10k, the main function of this bike is going to be city riding with occasional weekend excursions around the area. I'm pretty sure I like the less aggressive riding posture of a crusier than sport bike but tbh, I've never ridden in that position. However, I love the classic cruiser style well above a sport bike look. Also, I'm 5'4" and 130lbs so I want a low CoG and short seat height.

I'm currently torn between the Yamaha Bolt and Kawasaki Vulcan S. I fell in love with the Bolt when it was released in 2014 but after I went to sit on it at the dealer, I didn't like the asymmetry between my knees (the stock air intake box protruded a lot further IRL than in photos) -- I think this can be solved with after market parts. I haven't seen the Vulcan in person but on spec is lighter, liquid cooled, comes with an ABS option and the free ergo fit option is very attractive. I definitely prefer the look of the Bolt a little better than the Vulcan.

Looking at reviews it seems like these are the top two options in this category. I think the lack of ABS is the biggest question for the Bolt. I currently don't have ABS on the Rebel now so I'm not sure how big a factor that is with a larger bike.

Opinions?

I have experience with the Bolt (non R-Spec) as I owned one for two years.

What I liked:
Looks, low weight (550ish lbs), handled well for a cruiser, very good build quality

What I didn't like:
The seat was uncomfortable for me, not enough travel in the rear suspension, the speedo was unreadable in the sun (I think they've corrected this), the air intake is in an awkward spot (as you mentioned), The pegs are very low and easy to scrape, making payments and being forced into year round coverage on a bike in loving WISCONSIN. Ahem. None of these issues are major and can be corrected in the aftermarket.

You should be able to find used ones in the $5-$6.5k range. Don't bother with the R-Spec unless it's cheap, and spend the money you would have spent on the R on some decent shocks, aftermarket seat, and air intake.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

HotCanadianChick posted:

Have you considered our lord and saviour's personal choice, a standard? Much more comfortable than either the torture rack of a race replica sport bike or the recumbent, poorly balanced joke of a cruiser, and they're even available in retro looks for sensitive individuals who are allergic to plastic?

I don't exactly hate the ball of robot barf that is the undercarriage of nearly every modern yamaha, but let's not kid ourselves that that mess of twisted metal and too many bolts looks "retro".

I think what really bothers me about it is the fact their tank/upper body/fairing design is so clean, so you've got these gorgeous smooth lines on top and then from the waist down it fractures into this hot mess of chaotic greeble that makes it look like a half finished kitbash model.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

I'm in the super minority here, for reason's I cannot imagine, but the XSR900 has looked like a cluttered, slapped together, piece of poo poo, since it was unveiled last year.

Yet, in some buell esque explainable level of desire, all ya'll immediately fawned over it.

Like, I'm CERTAIN it handles awesome and runs great, but are you people blind?!

Paint scheme really makes or breaks it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I like the robot barf!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

climboutonalimb posted:

Looking at reviews it seems like these are the top two options in this category. I think the lack of ABS is the biggest question for the Bolt. I currently don't have ABS on the Rebel now so I'm not sure how big a factor that is with a larger bike.

You might could also consider an Indian Scout. Really, really pretty, and they sound amazing. I had fun on one, and while I wouldn't really want a cruiser for myself, drat did I rev that throttle every chance I got.

Also: 690 Duke, FZ-09, FZ-07, Street Triple, Tuono.

Coydog posted:

I'm in the super minority here, for reason's I cannot imagine, but the XSR900 has looked like a cluttered, slapped together, piece of poo poo, since it was unveiled last year.

Yet, in some buell esque explainable level of desire, all ya'll immediately fawned over it.

It's an FZ-09 with ABS. Sure it's ugly, but it's an FZ-09 with ABS.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 23, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

climboutonalimb posted:

I've been riding a 2009 Honda Rebel 250 bike for ~3 years around San Francisco and the Bay area. I got the bike to learn on and bob around town on. Since buying this bike I've met my current gf and gotten quite a bit of experience on the bike. I've been wanting to get a new bike since the Rebel struggles up some of these steep SF hills, especially 2up with my gf on the back. However, I have avoided replacing it due to not having secure parking in the city and with street parking as my only option, I am willing to risk this small, cheaper bike.

I have finally secured convenient garage parking not too far from my apartment and want to upgrade. I'd like to pay less than $10k, the main function of this bike is going to be city riding with occasional weekend excursions around the area. I'm pretty sure I like the less aggressive riding posture of a crusier than sport bike but tbh, I've never ridden in that position. However, I love the classic cruiser style well above a sport bike look. Also, I'm 5'4" and 130lbs so I want a low CoG and short seat height.

I'm currently torn between the Yamaha Bolt and Kawasaki Vulcan S. I fell in love with the Bolt when it was released in 2014 but after I went to sit on it at the dealer, I didn't like the asymmetry between my knees (the stock air intake box protruded a lot further IRL than in photos) -- I think this can be solved with after market parts. I haven't seen the Vulcan in person but on spec is lighter, liquid cooled, comes with an ABS option and the free ergo fit option is very attractive. I definitely prefer the look of the Bolt a little better than the Vulcan.

Opinions?
Both of those bikes are fine, but you should seriously consider some standard models. Cruiser only mode is really throttling your bike experience. Give standards a chance. You'd be fairly comfortable on the Ducati Scrambler, seat height is low and it's a very robust, light and tossable little standard. Keep in mind that many bikes can be safely lowered by at least an inch as well.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Coydog posted:

Do you prefer the Michael Bay Transformer styling of every other modern standard with ABS/traction control/etc?

p.s. it apparently does handle pretty drat awesome :

MCN reviewer Adam Child posted:

The handling is as good as it gets for a bike straight out of the box. The XSR is stable, with impressive feedback and mechanical grip. It’s hard to find any fault with it at all. It runs the same shock and forks as the MT-09, but with different springs and settings to manage the different riding position and weight. It doesn’t have the Supermoto feeling of the MT-09, nor does the front end platter like the Tracer’s when you push it.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Coydog posted:

I'm with ya. There's just assholes and elbows pointing every which way to my eye. But then again I never seem to agree with convention either.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't exactly hate the ball of robot barf that is the undercarriage of nearly every modern yamaha, but let's not kid ourselves that that mess of twisted metal and too many bolts looks "retro".

I think what really bothers me about it is the fact their tank/upper body/fairing design is so clean, so you've got these gorgeous smooth lines on top and then from the waist down it fractures into this hot mess of chaotic greeble that makes it look like a half finished kitbash model.

Nobody gives a poo poo whether it looks 'retro' enough to stiffen the chin hairs of the staunchest hipster, only that it has all the modern electronic riding goodies combined with decent suspension, brakes, and one of the best engines out there right now, all wrapped up in a package that's fairly clean, stripped down, and no worse looking than an SV650n or other pre-transformers midweight standard.

Go on; I want you to, with a straight face, tell me that it looks any more objectionably fussy or 'kitbashed' than this:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, that is an ugly loving bike and being in the minority about that doesn't make you wrong.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Go on; I want you to, with a straight face, tell me that it looks any more objectionably fussy or 'kitbashed' than this:

Nope, they're equally bad but the SV is a cheap and cheerful bike from 13 years ago.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo whether it looks 'retro' enough to stiffen the chin hairs of the staunchest hipster, only that it has all the modern electronic riding goodies combined with decent suspension, brakes, and one of the best engines out there right now, all wrapped up in a package that's fairly clean, stripped down, and no worse looking than an SV650n or other pre-transformers midweight standard.

The Yamaha is extremely visually busy. The SV is definitely cleaner, but it's still somewhere in the middle of the naked bike spectrum as far as cleanness/complexity goes.

Honda knows how to make a clean-looking naked bike.

:iamafag:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

The Yamaha is extremely visually busy. The SV is definitely cleaner, but it's still somewhere in the middle of the naked bike spectrum as far as cleanness/complexity goes.

Honda knows how to make a clean-looking naked bike.

:iamafag:

If only Honda still knew how to make them interesting to ride.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The hawk gt is a really great looking bike and will remain so forever.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

No you're absolutely right. There's some kind of weird brain disorder afflicting motorcyling at the minute that thinks clutter and random angles is cool. The arch-example of this for me is the last few years of the SuperDuke, which has gone from being a pretty good-looking bike to a game of pick-up-sticks, and yet people all over the world keep saying it looks awesome. I just don't get it.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The new XSR looks weird because there is nothing offsetting the raw engineering of the engine and all associated bits below the tank/seat line.

Other bikes such as the new monsters, or superduke, have the trellis thing going on which draws attention away from the stuff that is usually hidden behind a fairing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

abigserve posted:

The new XSR looks weird because there is nothing offsetting the raw engineering of the engine and all associated bits below the tank/seat line.

Other bikes such as the new monsters, or superduke, have the trellis thing going on which draws attention away from the stuff that is usually hidden behind a fairing.

It's not even that, it's actual anti-design for want of a better term. That Yamaha is a perfect example (all of their naked lineup have it to a greater or lesser extent but that XSR thing is easily the worst). Look at the gap between tank and frame. That's not there for engineering reasons, it's not there because they're recycling the tank from a parts bin, someone sat down and made a decision that they wanted to make it look like the tank came from another bike. Ditto the head- and tail-lights, which are too small and too big for the areas they're mounted respectively. Again these are new parts, why are they designed to look like they've been bought off eBay?

All of that sort of thing is fine on a custom or homebrew streetfighter, but this is a mass-produced article which is trying to look home-made. It's cookie-cutter individuality, production-line personality. It's jeans bought pre-ripped from a supermarket.

I'm sure it's a fine bike (if Yamaha have finally fixed their lovely RBW) and will no doubt give lots of people lots of fun but it's not a sexy bike, sorry.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's cookie-cutter individuality, production-line personality. It's jeans bought pre-ripped from a supermarket.

So it's perfect for 95+% of all bike riders in the last 20 years.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

So it's perfect for 95+% of all bike riders in the last 20 years.

Yeah and I suppose that's fine. Well at least it's excusable, I still wouldn't touch it.

If it came to it I'd much rather have something which is just trying to be a motorbike, like those Hondas - and that's the only time you will ever hear me speak favorably of a Honda, so savour it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's jeans bought pre-ripped from a supermarket.

Got it in one.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's jeans bought pre-ripped from a supermarket.

I'm confused by this statement, as it's neither a race-replica complete with replica team sponsor stickers, nor a chrome and leather fringe covered recliner with 75 degrees of rake and complimentary stickers to put on the window of your truck or SUV. :confused:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm confused by this statement, as it's neither a race-replica complete with replica team sponsor stickers, nor a chrome and leather fringe covered recliner with 75 degrees of rake and complimentary stickers to put on the window of your truck or SUV. :confused:

Neither of those are an example of something churned out in uncountable, identical multitudes but sold as a badge of individuality. The race rep rider is someone wanting to be someone else (or at least persuade others that he's just like another person). The Harley type is an even worse example because even the most pampered lifestylemobile will have been customised to a far greater extent than any of those Yamahas will ever be.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It surprises me how many people come into the shop looking for something "custom". Just something unique that didn't come from a factory. Having built bikes like that, I don't want such a thing unless I'm racing. I don't understand the appeal. I've got an old rare bike that stands out when you see it on the road, I enjoy the attention, but it's almost bone stock. Cutting parts off it wouldn't make it better.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It surprises me how many people come into the shop looking for something "custom". Just something unique that didn't come from a factory. Having built bikes like that, I don't want such a thing unless I'm racing. I don't understand the appeal. I've got an old rare bike that stands out when you see it on the road, I enjoy the attention, but it's almost bone stock. Cutting parts off it wouldn't make it better.

They're not buying a motorcycle, they're buying an identity. You can't really have you own identity if your bike is the same as thousands of others on the road.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

KARMA! posted:

They're not buying a motorcycle, they're buying an identity. You can't really have you own identity if your bike is the same as thousands of others on the road.

Who wants to see pictures of my bonneville cafe job?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fishvilla posted:

Who wants to see pictures of my bonneville cafe job?

If you really want to troll them threaten to café a Super duke or a KLR.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

If you really want to troll them threaten to cafe a KLR.

I'd ride the gently caress out of that. :colbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

:vince:

I actually like the gas tank even though I usually can't stand nationalistic frippery (unless it's the Maryland flag).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not even that, it's actual anti-design for want of a better term. That Yamaha is a perfect example (all of their naked lineup have it to a greater or lesser extent but that XSR thing is easily the worst). Look at the gap between tank and frame. That's not there for engineering reasons, it's not there because they're recycling the tank from a parts bin, someone sat down and made a decision that they wanted to make it look like the tank came from another bike. Ditto the head- and tail-lights, which are too small and too big for the areas they're mounted respectively. Again these are new parts, why are they designed to look like they've been bought off eBay?

All of that sort of thing is fine on a custom or homebrew streetfighter, but this is a mass-produced article which is trying to look home-made. It's cookie-cutter individuality, production-line personality. It's jeans bought pre-ripped from a supermarket.

I'm sure it's a fine bike (if Yamaha have finally fixed their lovely RBW) and will no doubt give lots of people lots of fun but it's not a sexy bike, sorry.

No, it isn't, but I don't think it's as terrible as people say with the speed block paint and gold forks. To me they got the formula correct in that case: paint all the ugly bits underneath a monochrome black, put some shouty paint on the tank and blingy forks on, job done. Like, yes the frame and engine and radiator and all that crap is a complete mess, that's why we painted it black.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

That is loving amazing.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Linedance posted:

No, it isn't, but I don't think it's as terrible as people say with the speed block paint and gold forks. To me they got the formula correct in that case: paint all the ugly bits underneath a monochrome black, put some shouty paint on the tank and blingy forks on, job done. Like, yes the frame and engine and radiator and all that crap is a complete mess, that's why we painted it black.

They also didn't try to hide things like the EFI bits or ABS hardware or brake discs behind vintage-looking bits meant to make it look like an actual vintage bike, (I'm looking at you, Bonneville) it's just a thoroughly modern machine that was styled with some retro styling cues, much like the modern Challengers and Mustangs of the car world.

Trying to camo the modern engine and frame would have added weight and cost, meaning you'd get less bike for more money, so I'm totally glad they didn't throw on a bunch of random chromed bits to disguise all the mechanicals and frame. The only real cosmetic changes made over the FZ/FJ bikes were replacing some of the brackets and trim bits with machined aluminium, new lights, new speedo, and new tank and seat. Anything further would have probably dramatically increased the price, which is barely higher than the FZ-09 despite all the extra electronic riding aids and slipper clutch added to it.

Does it have a less attractive frame than a '70s XS750? Maybe, but that's because it has a modern frame that doesn't have the stiffness of a bowl of al-dente pasta, so it rides a hell of a lot better than a '70s bike. And they sensibly declined to put one of those godawful bugeye headlights on it like every other modern naked.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

someone sat down and made a decision that they wanted to make it look like the tank came from another bike. Ditto the head- and tail-lights, which are too small and too big for the areas they're mounted respectively. Again these are new parts, why are they designed to look like they've been bought off eBay?

Reminder that there are many posters here who like the looks of the street triple, which is the epitome of "oops, the maintenance crew in the warehouse accidentally ordered 50,000 forklift spotlights, what are we gonna do now"?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I love twin round headlights.

The twin angular transformer eyes look super weird.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The angular ones start to grow on you. They also look way better with a windshield or cowl.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Street Triple is one of the ugliest bikes on the road.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

The newer ones coming out next year have a bikini fairing that *almost* makes the lights look like they're supposed to be on the bike, and a couple of other nice little styling cues that make it look a shitload better, assuming the ones they showed me at that focus group were what they're actually going to do.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PCOS Bill posted:

Only the squinty second gens.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Only the squinty second gens.

Both generations are some of the ugliest bikes in production, but the newer ones are closer to being OK looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

Quoting this because it's some truth.