Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

I've never understood the Cima love. The stuff that's supposed to make her interesting is buried deep in side material instead of the show itself.

Cima is visually interesting and somewhat of a novel character. She's a hardass semi-independent Zeon commander and mobile suit ace who is a lady and also has a weird leopard print throne on her bridge and her crew members dress in stuff like cutoff sleeves. Even without the side materials explaining her backstory, there's a definite "huh, what's up with this lady?" trigger that basically no other characters in the show have because most of them are pretty generic.

Unfortunately, they never bother to do any of that explaining in the show itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
More importantly, she almost single-handedly saves the day before being stopped by te heroes loving everything up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Arcsquad12 posted:

SOUTH BURNING. Seriously, the guy is awesome, and he tries (in vain) to make Kou a better soldier and is actually smart.

EDIT: Aim for the shield! Oh god, I forgot so much about this show. The shield is the weak point!

Burning and Cima were the true heroes with Gato in the less crazy moments of 0083. I still think it has the best opening of the UC Gundam stuff. It's the bit with the beat at the start that always makes me smile.

Also, gently caress you Monsha you loving creep. I like Mondo better than you. Mondo just dressed weirdly and couldn't do things, at least he wasn't an abusive sex offender.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Srice posted:

I've never understood the Cima love. The stuff that's supposed to make her interesting is buried deep in side material instead of the show itself.

Shes a space pirate milf in a show full of idiot doofuses

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Shes a space pirate milf in a show full of idiot doofuses

It's a design that stands out but characterization-wise I felt the same way about her as I did most of the cast.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Captain Invictus posted:

Question: I remember there being a list of the absolutely insane things the Turn A Gundam can do somewhere, but I can't find it. Stuff like regenerate a dead pilot, that sort of thing. Would anyone have a link or can copy/paste the list here?

Zorak posted:

Rumor was that Tomino had considered doing a Turn A sequel involving the spacenoids who left Earth and sent the Turn X back to the Moon millenia ago, but that never came to pass.

Also, since the series is over, I suppose it's a good time to list what the Turn A and Turn X are capable of: see, as Gym stated near the end, the Turns weren't really fully "awakened" yet.

Here's some capability stuff that came out of model & novel text about what their full capability is like:

quote:

- Standard ammunition cannot damage their armor
- The Turn A's power source are two artificial black holes. YEP.
- The I-field beam drive system creates a film of particles over the surface of the machine and moves the mechanical parts inside, preventing a need for heavy gears inside. The I-field beam drive is also what is used for propulsion, preventing the need for thrust material.
- Beam weapons are deflected by its I-field (propulsion & power system)
- The Turn A can teleport itself
- Can teleport/ warp it's attacks (it could teleport a beam shot to appear right in an enemy suit's cockpit)
- Beam rifle at maximum power is stronger than a Grypps level colony laser (e.g., a total death laser)
- The Turn A can regenerate pretty much any damage done to it.
- The Moonlight Butterfly that destroyed Earth's civilization was at something like 20% power. At 100% output, it can cover everything from Earth to Jupiter in nanomachines.
- Turn A's chest's multipurpose silo can summon weapons from special "transmission" devices on the Earth set up to send ammunition to the Turn A's silos (remember where Turn A found that Gundam Hammer and those weapons that broke down? Yeah).
- The teleportation system makes so that as long as there are nanomachines left from either the Turn A or at its special support sites to regenerate the Turn A completely, including its pilot. The teleportation system saves the status of the machine as well as the status/ memories/ DNA information of the pilot, and then transmits it to the relay sites on Earth. As long as there are nanomachines, they can receive regeneration commands, it can be done. Complete regeneration from scratch, however, would take thousands of years.
- The Turns were actually meant for Newtypes to pilot, what since they were developed by Newtypes; they have powerful psycommnu systems, allowing them to detect even on their own (ie, without a Newtype) the human life signs in other mobile suits.
- The Turn A's hands are so sensitive they can be used to pick up a regular human-sized bucket of water.
- The Keilas Guilie "Big Cannon" from Victory Gundam, can't even scratch the Turn A, and the Turn X Top can take control of it remotely.
- The Turn X was actually created outside the solar system and was sent to the moon.
- As seen in the anime, the Turn X is actually capable of draining the energy from basically anything, including enemy mobile suits and the life force of pilots.
- Both Turns have powerful automated combat systems allowing them to basically enter combat regardless of the pilot's condition. So even if their pilot dies, they can keep fighting, regenerate themselves, and then the pilot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Of course it bears repeating that the true scale of the Turns' power isn't strictly relevant to the show itself, but rather provides some context after-the-fact illustrating just how out of their depth the people of both the Earth and Moon were with regards to meddling with powers they didn't truly understand.

Also "Gundam as an ancient and powerful relic in the hands of the ignorant" can't be anything but a statement about the franchise as a whole.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think it applies For All Gundams.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

Smooth.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

nice

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Excellent

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Pureauthor posted:

It is a very good and fun show.

Please let us know your feelings after watching the episode 6 fight. You'll know it when you see it.

This show is too good, especially being a gundam nerd. It's a love letter to Gundam.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nth'ing that Build Fighters is fantastic and you're in for fun trip :allears:. Also to save you time in the near future, HLJ.com has most, if not all, of the Build Fighters HG kits in-stock :v:.

stop I don't get paid very much

e: I just saw the G Savior cameo lmao

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 22, 2016

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Srice posted:

It's a design that stands out but characterization-wise I felt the same way about her as I did most of the cast.

I think most people would agree with you. It's not so much an opinion that Cima is good and cool in 0083 - because outside of the music and animation not much is good and cool in it - it's more that a show exploring what little we did get of her backstory and focused on her character that we saw in the side materials would be better than Kou running out of a room crying with his eyes shut for the 20th time.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
0083 would have been a million times better Burning was the main character and Kou and Nina weren't in it

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Yet Another Crossbone Series was announced: Crossbone Dust. This one's set to take place post-Victory in UC 168, so Hasegawa's finally going past Late UC entirely.

We might get to see Adult Uso and Shakti?

Also the Crossbone Gundam is now a transforming mobile suit. I don't even begin to understand how the legs got to where the arms were.
It's technically an offshoot of of an offshoot of the Crossbone called the Ghost Gundam, but it's basically just a Crossbone with a bastardized Minovsky Drive so close enough.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Don't worry, BlitzBlast. You are not the only one going :psyduck: over that transformation.

Like, I want this to get a model kit just for the sole purpose of explaining the Spread Eagle Flight Mode transformation process in a coherent manner.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
My best guess is that the waist unhooked from the main body and flipped over to connect into the backpack,

but the backpack is so bulky I have no idea how the legs and side skirt armor could have gotten so far forward. And for that matter, how the Minovsky Drives somehow ended up near the bottom of the torso pointing in a completely different direction.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It's a partsformer, just so its eventual model kits can have a canon-accurate transformation without giving the engineers and builders headaches.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Crossbone is the forest gump Gundam. Pretty soon we should get a sidestory manga about that time it showed up to fight the Devil Gundam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know a lot of you guys dislike his designs but I think that katoki's redesigns of the crossbone mobile suits are an improvement over the gaudy art style of the Manga.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know a lot of you guys dislike his designs but I think that katoki's redesigns of the crossbone mobile suits are an improvement over the gaudy art style of the Manga.

the manga's artstyle just isn't good in general.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The art style of the manga is completely horrible. The fanart the artist did for Gundam SEED is the only time I've seen the characters look worse than their original art.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so how is Gundam Unicorn For TV compared to the...not-that version. apparently some stuff is re-done??

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nevermind the mechs, the people in Crossbone look very not good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

so how is Gundam Unicorn For TV compared to the...not-that version. apparently some stuff is re-done??

I haven't watched it but what I have heard from others is that some of the new scenes are helpful but the pacing gets weird because they shift a few things around to accommodate tv episode length instead of having complete freedom with runtime? Probably not worth watching right now when you have the entire OVA available but maybe once the tv run wraps up it will be the better version.

I figure at least it's a free legal option for folks to see the series instead of having to digitally rent it for a price, so that's neat.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gyra_Solune posted:

From what I've seen the pacing is super weird. Its not bad but if you have access to watch the hour long episodes just do that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So I've just seen G-Saviour and I have to ask, how was bioluminescence (even bioluminescence that gives off heat) supposed to help cure a food shortage?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tsob posted:

So I've just seen G-Saviour and I have to ask, how was bioluminescence (even bioluminescence that gives off heat) supposed to help cure a food shortage?

Poorly if the decline into cannibalism was any indication

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

So the design for what I assume will be the first opponent of the IBO sidestory manga has been unveiled

Looks like they're gonna be fighting another Teiwaz subsidiary.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

So the design for what I assume will be the first opponent of the IBO sidestory manga has been unveiled

Or possibly the same one. It's an AC, or 'Amida Custom', and the colour scheme isn't that far off from her Hyakuren, give or take a bit of manga colour screwiness.

Prequel, maybe? We might find out how she got that scar.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
it's wearing a hat

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

it's wearing a hat

To be fair, so is the Astaroth.

Check that Stetson.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

The fedora makes it look like it leaked over from G Gundam. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

It's a Beefeater Gundam. Did it escape from G Gundam? :allears:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

The_Rob posted:

From what I've seen the pacing is super weird. Its not bad but if you have access to watch the hour long episodes just do that.

'Dude look, we're glowy and poo poo'
'Yeah, but I'm still hungry.'

I know, I've never seen that one Gundam anime but still that conversation had to happen.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Let me know when Frozen Teardrop gets an anime series.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lemon-Lime posted:

The fedora makes it look like it leaked over from G Gundam. :v:

There's a Fedora suit in one of the Crossbone sequels too. I like them both. That said, it certainly looks out of place next to most suits from IBO due to the colours if nothing else. Then again, several of the characters are completely stupid looking in IBO too. Mostly Kudal and the other guy from Brewers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

Let me know when Frozen Teardrop gets HG kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

I'm not sure what I find funnier. The fedora/trilby head design, or the fact its main weapon is a switchblade knife.