Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Something to note about Iudex Gundyr he does not have a soul. Note that when you kill Champion Gundyr, you get his soul. Now, Iudex Gundyr lacks a soul, and has that black parasite thing infesting the wound made by the coil sword. I'm not sure the significance of this is, but it seems to fit; the Hollows who have the black parasite likely also have lost their souls by this point, allowing whatever this is to run amok. A being born of the Dark Soul? It's always a snake too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I should just assume every enemy in the game can kill me in two hits or one combo after Lothric, shouldn't I.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sakurazuka posted:

The final version of Gundyr didn't have all those swords on the ground right? Shame that was cool.

Also another huge Berserk reference.

i assume it was going to be like the curse statues, that every death to him would leave a sword

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ocelotte is the youngest child of Oceiros, born after he became a hosed up dragon man due to Seath worship and whatever the hell else he was up to. Ocelotte is, presumably, the source of the strange warbling dragon baby noises you hear until the second phase of the fight.

It seems to be the case that you murdered an invisible infant that Oceiros was cradling, thus resulting in his freakout phase 2. We already know draconic hybrids turning invisible is a thing thanks to Priscilla.

So he forgot that he was carrying him around into melee, and still freaks out when we collaterally kill it?
Gold parenting there.

Raises the question if he still freaks out if you do damage to, like, his tail only.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Something to note about Iudex Gundyr he does not have a soul. Note that when you kill Champion Gundyr, you get his soul. Now, Iudex Gundyr lacks a soul, and has that black parasite thing infesting the wound made by the coil sword. I'm not sure the significance of this is, but it seems to fit; the Hollows who have the black parasite likely also have lost their souls by this point, allowing whatever this is to run amok. A being born of the Dark Soul? It's always a snake too.

Literally every other boss gives a soul when you kill them, so you're probably on to something. So this would mean he got infected because you took his soul when you defeated him in Untended Graves?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He doesn't have a soul because you already took it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wagrid posted:

Literally every other boss gives a soul when you kill them, so you're probably on to something. So this would mean he got infected because you took his soul when you defeated him in Untended Graves?

Souls in these games don't tend to have factional affiliations, but I feel like a soul, which is a flame, is related to the first flame. The absence of one may provide a means for the Dark to fester in.

I think the best way to look at it is that at a certain point "below" the surface of the game world we see in DS3, the Abyss is slowly rising and swallowing things up. The Untended Graves are a place below the water mark. As such, it could simply mean that your Firelink Shrine is a location built higher up, either in an esoteric or literal sense, so that there's always a way to keep trying to rekindle the flame.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wagrid posted:

Ancient Wyvern doesn't.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Ancient Wyvern doesn't.

Well there goes that theory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just got invaded by a guy who healed without using estus or spells and parried me without me doing an attack or blocking. :thumbsup:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Souls in these games don't tend to have factional affiliations, but I feel like a soul, which is a flame, is related to the first flame. The absence of one may provide a means for the Dark to fester in.

Quoth the intro to Dark Souls:

quote:

Then from the dark, They came, and found the Souls of Lords within the flame. Nito, the First of the Dead, The Witch of Izalith and her Daughters of Chaos, Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights. And the Furtive Pygmy, so easily forgotten.

If we assume the Furtive Pygmy was Manus, which seems like a pretty safe conclusion, then the Abyss and the Dark are also connected to a Lord Soul and thus to the Flame.

The absence of a soul should be associated with dragons and the age prior to the discovery of the Flame. The Flame brought disparity - light and dark - when the Lords claimed souls. Like you say, souls are associated with both sides of that conflict.

I think it's totally possible we're dealing with dragons somehow and not the Abyss when we see those shadow snakes. Or maybe Gundyr doesn't drop a boss soul because he's the tutorial boss and you get his soul for his stuff later in the game, and we're reading too heavily into a mechanical decision.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 24, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

I Did Die 4 U

the identity of the first firekeeper, revealed at last:

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Aside from the statues in the Archives are there any more indications or returning aspects of the primordial serpents?

Also what was the deal with the black snake things? Just a product of the corruption of the abyss?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Does the game censor account names, or just character names? Made a Knight Hodrick PSN account for cosplay+pvp+griefqueef and I'm trying to make up a good non-Knight name because K***ht Hodrick is pretty poo poo to have displayed when you want to make people think a surprise NPC invasion happened.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Insurrectionist posted:

I think you mean Oceloooooootte!

I had this same reaction

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RedHotKick posted:

Aside from the statues in the Archives are there any more indications or returning aspects of the primordial serpents?

Yuria of Londor, who shows up if you accept a bunch of free levels from Yoel before he dies is a servant of Kaathe.

RedHotKick posted:

Also what was the deal with the black snake things? Just a product of the corruption of the abyss?

There's a conversation about this going on on this very page!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RedHotKick posted:

a character says one of their names when they die.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think it's totally possible we're dealing with dragons somehow and not the Abyss when we see those shadow snakes. Or maybe Gundyr doesn't drop a boss soul because he's the tutorial boss and you get his soul for his stuff later in the game, and we're reading too heavily into a mechanical decision.

it's the abyss you dummy go read the artorias armour descriptions

the abyss is a gross slimy black oil

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Can anyone who's properly messed around with the Caestus tell me how worth it it is? I've gotten mixed results with my STR build with a Heavy Caestus. The ridiculous attack rate and tiny stamina cost seem great, but actually stacking up damage or killing dudes in PvP seems difficult.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wagrid posted:

The sword from his chest ignites the firelink bonfire, so maybe his soul is in the blade somehow?
And since you rip it out, he is free to get abyssed or something...

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
The Shady Lady mound-maker NPC fight in the Road of Sacrifices is so far my favorite invasion in DS3. She isn't quite hostile, but you're not sure. Plus she does a bunch of gestures if you just leave her alone.

Finally, for the first time in Dark Souls, I used a cracked red eye orb and invaded a dude. He was slumming it in the poison swamp of Farron with a white coop buddy, and were making their way to the first fire pillar where I had conveniently spawned at. I waited for them to make their way up, watched his buddy come up and kill a goat demon, whereupon I rushed out and started swinging at him, hitting the host too who had come up to use a heal spell for both of them. Killed the summon, and got into a long drawn out fight with the host who was using an Estoc and downing Estus left and right, until he switched to his shield. I got him to half, he stabbed me twice bringing me to 5% hp. I backpedaled, he got greedy and chased me so I gave him a solid 5 hit combo with my Astora sword and killed him, right as a bluecop was spawning in. He then sent me a salty message over PSN :allears:

I also got invaded by a Wolf of Farron using the dark sword, but I'm sitting on 20 vigor so I let him do his combo before demolishing him with my own follow-up. So far the Wolves have been pretty bad at PvP

I'm also kind of disappointed with the Dancer's Twinswords, I think I'll shelved them and wait for the Gotthard, which are apparently more for STR than DEX?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

it's the abyss you dummy go read the artorias armour descriptions

the abyss is a gross slimy black oil

ya but the assertion that the "dark gets in" when you take something's soul doesn't make sense. abyssal creatures have souls.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i tried to set up a game for the usurpation ending. i got the levels from Yoel til he died but I don't have any Dark Sigils in my inventory. Did I do something wrong or is this inconsequential to the ending?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

If we assume the Furtive Pygmy was Manus, which seems like a pretty safe conclusion, then the Abyss and the Dark are also connected to a Lord Soul and thus to the Flame.

Actually I think you'll find based on my twenty page write up of incredibly tenuous evidence that Velka is the Pygmy and also married to the Pygmy and also Gwyn's wife and also his secret daughter and also that Big Crow and also the narrator.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the abyss takes you over drives you mad and mutates ur rear end and eventually when poo poo gets bad enough with the fire it becomes a "living" thing

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pickle Pee.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheQat posted:

i tried to set up a game for the usurpation ending. i got the levels from Yoel til he died but I don't have any Dark Sigils in my inventory. Did I do something wrong or is this inconsequential to the ending?

It's under key items.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pump a rump

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

TheQat posted:

Im pretty sure that goes in the key items slot, not standard inventory

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ya but the assertion that the "dark gets in" when you take something's soul doesn't make sense. abyssal creatures have souls.

In that light, it actually makes a lot of sense then.
If something still has a soul, abyss cant get in cause theres already a soul in there.
If you remove the soul, the vessel is empty, and can be occupied by an abyssal soul.
Or something.
Its late.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

crows are the best part of dark souls and i wish there was a crow boss

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

TheQat posted:

Did your character turn into beef jerky before Yoel died?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Fereydun posted:

the identity of the first firekeeper, revealed at last:

I now want to do a Prince inspired cosplay run but I'm gonna need some advice on what sets to wear.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

RedHotKick posted:

crows are the best part of dark souls and i wish there was a crow boss

Normies GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tamayachi posted:

Did your character turn into beef jerky before Yoel died?

o yeah

thx for the replies above, i forgot key items existed

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

YOU! YOU! GIVE US... BLOOOOOOOOD

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Or maybe Gundyr doesn't drop a boss soul because he's the tutorial boss and you get his soul for his stuff later in the game, and we're reading too heavily into a mechanical decision.

our lord and savior miyazaki would never do something so brash and meaningless!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Well you get both the Last Giant/Giant Lord's souls...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so in these games when you light the flame is it assumed the universe like resets and there aren't any horrors or undead shambling around or whatever

or does lighting the flame pretty much just sort of temporarily revive a basically dead world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I just got to the SOTFS remix of DS2's Iron Keep and I take back everything positive that I said about that game over this one.