Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
The Count is the one who knocks once... knocks twice... knocks three times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

As much as I loved the segment, Sesame Street not being on PBS is like... morally wrong.

It still is. This arrangement is because PBS couldn't afford it anymore from what I remember.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Kevyn posted:

Elmo comin', yo.

You come at the Grouch, you best not miss.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I really hope this Sunday's show follows up on the $10 bill story, now that we have the legitimately awesome news about the $20 bill.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

IRQ posted:

It still is. This arrangement is because PBS couldn't afford it anymore from what I remember.

If I remember correctly it has a lot to do with the weird deal when Disney took over Henson and some changes there.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
On this last episode, what was in between the Russia and Turkey segments in the recap? I think it may have been edited in the UK.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Skeesix posted:

On this last episode, what was in between the Russia and Turkey segments in the recap? I think it may have been edited in the UK.

David Cameron/dennis Skinner/panama papers

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Is that to do with libel laws, or is the UK broadcaster a poo poo?

Or both

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

IRQ posted:

That's part of it but also Sesame Workshop's main revenue sources are dvds and donations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

pwn posted:

Or both

The broadcaster is definitely a poo poo but I dunno if that's specifically why

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

pwn posted:

Or both

No idea. For all I know it's just all the bbc footage. It's a pretty tame piece though.

https://youtu.be/NpKlsaefG00

Edit- Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It might be this?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/parliament-satire-ban-house-of-commons-charlie-brooker-tories-a6909391.html

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Seriously? A ban on satirical usage?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope Oliver gets to go over UK political buggery in a piece sometime soon so he can cite this as one more example.

E; in response to tonight's "And Now This:" my family had been sarcasticly calling it 'tar-zhay' for the entirety of my living memory. And I thought we were he only people who called it that.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 25, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Hamilton has achieved "Bingo" status by being mentioned by all the five Daily Show legacy shows now. (Noah, Wilmore, Colbert, Bee, Oliver)

gently caress you, Strom Thurmond.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had no idea the PR situation was that dire or that there were so many weird reasons for it like that Thurmond thing. Miranda was great but it was a little jarring to see Oliver so ecstatic to have him there when Miranda seemed legitimately emotional about the subject.

M_Gargantua posted:

I hope Oliver gets to go over UK political buggery in a piece sometime soon so he can cite this as one more example.

E; in response to tonight's "And Now This:" my family had been sarcasticly calling it 'tar-zhay' for the entirety of my living memory. And I thought we were he only people who called it that.

My sister has done it forever and always laughs at it herself like its the funniest thing. It's incredibly annoying and I had no idea it was all over.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The "Tar-gzaaay" thing is in Australia as well, and it's not even the same company :psyduck:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I used to work at (US) target corporate HQ and the marketing department HATED it because they claimed it diluted the brand.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I only started hearin it all over the place around the time that the Freedom Fries thing was going down. Like people honestly saying you shouldn't shop at Tarjhay because it was a French company.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You'd think John Oliver would've thought to tie in this whole Puerto Rico thing to the piece he did a while back on the rest of the overseas US territories/possessions/etc. This is the kind of thing that can happen if you don't have people to fight for you in congress.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

That Hamilton thing sounds dumb as all gently caress is it really that popular?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Do you live under a rock in the middle of Alaska?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ive seen bits of it being promoted but i dont follow its success sorry. :shrug: It just always looked really stupid.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

zVxTeflon posted:

Ive seen bits of it being promoted but i dont follow its success sorry. :shrug: It just always looked really stupid.

It's won 8 jillion awards, the album topped a bunch of charts, and tickets are always sold out and cost thousands of dollars.

Also you should check it out it's genuinely good and the guy who was on the show last night already won a bunch of Tonys before he even created Hamilton.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's also helpful to listen to the album at least once just so you can be like "oh I get that reference".

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Hope the hell do you check it out if it's 1000s of dollars? Just listen to the soundtrack?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Veskit posted:

Hope the hell do you check it out if it's 1000s of dollars? Just listen to the soundtrack?

A lot of Broadway shows are like this in the first year or two, if they are successful. Rent, Book of Mormon, The Lion King, etc. all had crazy wait times or expensive tickets. This show however does seem to be eclipsing all the previous shows. You either wait for the show to go on tour, wait for the demand to die down, shell out the money, or in some cases just wait for the movie version. Once the cast changes, the demand likewise tends to fall.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Veskit posted:

Yes. The entire show is sung-through, so you don't miss any of the story by listening to the original cast recording.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

They did a free performance at the White House earlier this year...which you can sample here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/03/14/watch_the_cast_of_hamilton_perform_live_at_the_white_house_video.html

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Veskit posted:

Yes, just listen to the soundtrack, which is free on Spotify. Also they're doing a tour around the country later this year I think, but good luck getting tickets over all the rabid fans that have the album on loop all day (half my co-workers).

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

zVxTeflon posted:

It's a stage adaption of the popular youtube series "Epic Rap Battles Of History"

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

qbert posted:

Yes, just listen to the soundtrack, which is free on Spotify. Also they're doing a tour around the country later this year I think, but good luck getting tickets over all the rabid fans that have the album on loop all day (half my co-workers).

Is In The Heights any good? It's the previous musical by the Hamilton guy. Just cause it's showing in London at the moment.

Edit: Hamilton is coming to the West End next year apparently.

tentish klown fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 26, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

qbert posted:

Well by "touring" they mean its going to do an extended run in LA and then San Francisco. Although later this year they're supposed to be starting up an ongoing run in Chicago.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I didn't listen to Hamilton for a while because I thought it sounded dumb, but no, it's legitimately great.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Exclamation Marx posted:

It's a stage adaption of the popular youtube series "Epic Rap Battles Of History"
Seriously those videos suck and even if you don't like Hamilton, it shouldn't even be compared to some lovely YouTube channel.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Exclamation Marx posted:

This isn't true though?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
People are just mad that the people on TV and Twitter are all talking about some show that they did not discover on their own, and are reluctant to accept it as a phenomenon that exists.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Josh Lyman posted:

This isn't true though?

:thejoke:

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

tentish klown posted:

Is In The Heights any good? It's the previous musical by the Hamilton guy. Just cause it's showing in London at the moment.

Edit: Hamilton is coming to the West End next year apparently.

In The Heights is pretty great. It's a little more "traditional" than Hamilton in that there's a lot less rapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

muscles like this? posted:

Well by "touring" they mean its going to do an extended run in LA and then San Francisco. Although later this year they're supposed to be starting up an ongoing run in Chicago.

They're doing an LA run, a Chicago run, a national tour, a London show, as well as possible other extended runs. It's actually kind of insane. No other show has had this kind of attention before, and it's only going to grow after the Tonys. Of course, there's reports that half the cast are going to leave almost right after, so we'll see how that affects it. I wouldn't be surprised if they were asked to hold off until the awards to keep the buzz as high as possible.

Echo Chamber posted:

People are just mad that the people on TV and Twitter are all talking about some show that they did not discover on their own, and are reluctant to accept it as a phenomenon that exists.

To be fair, when I first heard the concept I thought it was dumb as well, and I'm actually into musical theatre. I was afraid it was an idea by a bunch of white, out of touch producers trying to make something "cool". When I actually heard it, I realized what it actually is.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 26, 2016

• Locked thread