Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I guess we now have some idea of how the dead Archer in the flash-forward at the start is going to not be Archer, although there are still a few pieces missing to get from Krieger's heads and hands to a body in a pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm guessing they'll throw in half a dozen ways it might not be Archer just to keep us in suspense.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
For those discussing Ray's morality:
-Cyril also implies that Ray has raped him other times when they're both darted in the bathroom (in the building a spaceship for Barry episode?). "Is it too much to ask to just pass out one time without being sexually assaulted by you?"
-He poses as wheelchair bound for months until they catch him on a ladder (forget if he explained why).
-He makes multiple references to embezzling from the agency and goads Cyril into doing it with him in the Turkmenistan episode.

One of the things that I think the show does really well is moral relativity- Archer forces almost every other character into a 'straight man' role (used loosely with Ray) at some point, but they're all just as terrible as soon as he walks around the corner.

Lana is probably the most consistently good, but as Cheryl/Carol points out, this seems more motivated by self-righteousness than genuine principle. We also see her compromise in huge ways at times to personal greed (just like her father) or spite.

Cat Hatter posted:

As has been said, Edison had a hand in the electric chair using AC due to the War Of The Currents, but Topsy was killed a decade after Edison got out of the electrical business. People just confuse the two because A) Edison's film company filmed the execution and B) its something Edison would have done had someone wanted to electrocute an elephant during the War O' Currents.

Probably also because (as your last line implies), a cornerstone of Edison and Brown's smear campaign against AC was publicly electrocuting just about every other type of animal they could get their hands on just a decade or so before Topsy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 22, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

counterfeitsaint posted:

Has anyone kept a running tally of how many times Archer has been shot?

more times than Brett?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Avasculous posted:

-He poses as wheelchair bound for months until they catch him on a ladder (forget if he explained why).

Leaving the rest of it alone because god yeah Ray is merely a decent person compared with Archer, he's still horrible:

The reason is 'gently caress you', the same reason he pretended to be paralysed in the jungle that time. He gets treated like dirt at ISIS and he apparently enjoys loving with people on that level. Like I said, I adore his capacity for unreasonably spiteful fuckery. It's hilarious.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I guess we now have some idea of how the dead Archer in the flash-forward at the start is going to not be Archer, although there are still a few pieces missing to get from Krieger's heads and hands to a body in a pool.

Well, it could be the mask, or it could be the lawyer's bodyguard (now fired) who looks identical to Archer with a moustache. Somehow I expect that over the course of the season, they'll drop even *more* things that could theoretically explain the flash-forward. And then it might still turn out to be none of them.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

Has anyone kept a running tally of how many times Archer has been shot?

According to the Archer wiki up to last seasons episode 'Sitting' he's been shot 34 times. I can't remember if he was shot any other times after that, and the last episode makes 35.

Anyone else starting to see the parallels between Mallory and Lana developing over the series? They even had the same first mission and describe it in the same way "Two weeks later I was in Tunisia killing a man"

Mallory as a young spy was probably a lot like Lana. Except Mallory didn't have Archer around screwing things up. Archer is obviously very skilled at spycraft but does it really count when he's saving the crew from problems he created?

As for Rays embezzling, not that it makes it any less wrong, at one point he comments on how everyone there embezzles and Archer himself has probably stolen millions alone.

Titan fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 23, 2016

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Kingnothing posted:

Do we still have gif dudes in the thread? Need that tbag.

'sup

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Titan posted:

As for Rays embezzling, not that it makes it any less wrong, at one point he comments on how everyone there embezzles and Archer himself has probably stolen millions alone.

If his book counts, then yes Archer freely admits that he's stolen millions and pays no taxes because all his property is under the name Elvis Roosevelt Archer

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The very first episode of the series is Archer hacking the ISIS mainframe to hide how much he spent on his expense account. Of course he has embezzled millions.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Giving season 5 another go under binge terms and nope, Pam is still dreadful in every last way. The rest of it seems better but she's probably easily the worst character Reed ever wrote not named Tornado Shanks(and that wasn't really his fault).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Crotch Bat posted:

Giving season 5 another go under binge terms and nope, Pam is still dreadful in every last way. The rest of it seems better but she's probably easily the worst character Reed ever wrote not named Tornado Shanks(and that wasn't really his fault).

Tornado Shanks and season 5 Pam are both fine.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I appreciated Pam's quiet little on mah tits whaaaat

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This season has been great.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The unforgivable thing about Archer Vice was turning Pam (yes, I meant "Cheryl" in my last post) from my favorite character on the show to a one-joke pony.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've watched the first two episodes of this series and...ehh?

It feels like Archer has become a dopey dad rather than a negligent, psychopath. It feels like it's lost its edge to me.

Oh well. 6 awesome series is better than what most TV shows manage to do.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

New dad Archer is still good for a lot of smartass quips, even if he isn't actively pissing off the gang because he's a sociopath anymore.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

H13 posted:

I've watched the first two episodes of this series and...ehh?

It feels like Archer has become a dopey dad rather than a negligent, psychopath. It feels like it's lost its edge to me.

Oh well. 6 awesome series is better than what most TV shows manage to do.

Actually it's good.

Sorry about your :spergin:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I disagree too. I hate going "lol sperg" because of a difference in opinion, but I feel this is the most fun I've had watching Archer since the third season. The third episode was great, probably my favorite one since "Lo Scandolo." I doubt anything will ever beat the one-two punch of "Placebo Effect" and "El Secuestro," but we've still got a bunch of episodes left.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm enjoying Archer's character development, slow as it's been. Though he was still going to leave Cyril behind to get sniped at Whitney's mansion.

Cyril's reaction to Barry's little moment here is cute.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

New dad Archer is still good for a lot of smartass quips, even if he isn't actively pissing off the gang because he's a sociopath anymore.

Well that's what made Archer fun for me. Watching him be an utter sociopath and piss everybody off was the fun I had with the show. Sociopath Archer is fun as hell especially when he goes from being utter asswipe, to stunningly competent secret agent in the blink of an eye. Watching him bumble through things while making the odd inappropriate joke isn't that much fun for me.

As I said, 6 awesome series is still good value, but it's jumped the shark for me.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This season has totally brought my interest back in Archer. Season 5 really didn't work for me and I felt like season 6 was forgettable; I"m 100% back in on the show now. I'll probably have to go back and re-watch season 6 again because I don't know if I gave it a fair shake.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Season 6 was solid, and had some really good episodes, it was just built on top of a kind of empty and artificial-feeling foundation since they were back in their old headquarters without any of the background characters filling out the setting.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm just so tired of Barry

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, I got some Barry Fatigue myself. Still a good episode, though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Yeah, I am not feeling the new season either. I am not sure if it is general Archer fatigue or something else. It's not a deal breaker yet, but something is amiss. Hmm. =/

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Thanks for letting us know.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It's definitely become a cliche to the point where if they do Barry next season they'll probably make fun of that fact because the show is pretty self-aware.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

show is pretty self-aware.

Nothing CW is self-aware.

Jane the Virgin doesn't count.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Not watching iZombie then? You should.

I'm not seeing these big differences in quality between seasons, but maybe that's just because I binged it all. There are episodes I care for more and episodes I don't, but that's not a marker of quality, just of taste.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Xoidanor posted:

Jane the Virgin doesn't count.

Crazy ex-girlfriend is super self aware.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Not watching iZombie then? You should.

Aaaaaaaah, everyone keeps telling me this and I still haven't gotten to it. :sigh:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

iZombie reminds me of a Whedon show but wayyy shittier

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was away for a month and just watched episode 2. It was great. So far this season seems like the best since S3. Am I going to be disappointed?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waltzing Along posted:

I was away for a month and just watched episode 2. It was great. So far this season seems like the best since S3. Am I going to be disappointed?

Season seven has been great. I mean, there's a chance that every other episode that's yet to air sucks, but the ones that have aired so far have been fantastic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sweet. I'll just do one a day until I am caught up and savor.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Thanks for letting us know.

why are the majority of your posts in this thread mocking people who disagree with your opinion lol?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm actually no poo poo glad they're sharing. I like to know when people don't like thing (okay).

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 27, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's a difference between saying I didn't enjoy this episode/season as much as previous ones, and endless arguing with people telling them their enjoyment of a tv show is wrong. Both, however, happen in this awful forum a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's a difference between saying I didn't enjoy this episode/season as much as previous ones, and endless arguing with people telling them their enjoyment of a tv show is wrong. Both, however, happen in this awful forum a lot.

It's something alright.

• Locked thread