Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is there a trial for this game? OP has nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Is there a trial for this game? OP has nothing.

I doubt it, since it's buy-2-play. Check isthereanydeal.com to see if you can find a cheap copy.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The regular edition is like ten bucks with the adventurer's pack and well worth picking up.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So the number of NA PC goons that are able to complete the Imperial City dungeons is growing one by one.
If you haven't already run with the Wrecking Crew, join up today.

We promise nothing but long hours and miserable pay.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I can vouch for that.

Corusca
Aug 30, 2009
been loving around with this game off and on for the past year or so, its my game i play when i'm not into anything else. just occurred to me to see if there is a goon guild now that i'm at the higher veteran ranks, invite @Corusca

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So, uh, Dark Brotherhood comes to the PTS on Monday.

So either they're actually going to use the PTS to test poo poo out before they push out the content in July, or they're getting pressured into releasing early to keep cashing in.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Scyantific posted:

So, uh, Dark Brotherhood comes to the PTS on Monday.

So either they're actually going to use the PTS to test poo poo out before they push out the content in July, or they're getting pressured into releasing early to keep cashing in.
I do hope it's the former. Also it'll be interesting to have a preview of what it actually brings.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

This also pretty much confirms the suspicion that most people have had about the majority of this content being basically finished since 2014 and that Z's been holding out on it so they could cash in after they went B2P.

Or I could be wrong and TG flopped hard enough to where they decided they needed to push DB out sooner than they wanted.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How would you even know how well TG sold?

Anyway what probably happened is that development went into lightspeed after they decided to cut PVP which was 95% of their problems.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

How would you even know how well TG sold?

Anyway what probably happened is that development went into lightspeed after they decided to cut PVP which was 95% of their problems.

Uh, did you not read the article from a while back? Like two of the major points were "more cyrodiil improvements (lmao)" and the re-introduction of the district capture system for Imperial City, which implies that they are definitely looking at PvP.

E: Unless you mean Justice-based PvP of course. But the more probable answer is that this poo poo has been ready since forever and they're looking to cash in before the summer months when kids will be at home abusing their parent's credit cards.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Scyantific posted:

This also pretty much confirms the suspicion that most people have had about the majority of this content being basically finished since 2014 and that Z's been holding out on it so they could cash in after they went B2P.

Or I could be wrong and TG flopped hard enough to where they decided they needed to push DB out sooner than they wanted.

Is it suspicion I mean we've known that at least Orsinium and Imperial City were "largely" done at least map wise since then. Murkmire or whatever it was called was being previewed as early as 2014, and we've seen Hew's Bane since Quakecon in ... 2015 yeah? Though Gold Coast which we visit in the DB DLC has never been previewed, but there's placeholder assets for it in the game since launch. Clockwork City and Mephala's Realm which are likely Q4 DLC and 2017 DLC releases have also already been previewed.

I don't think things were put on hold for B2P though, it is very obviously that the big lag we had in content being pushed out was due to development of the console releases.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
DB was scheduled for Q2 of 2016, which would be the quarter we're in now. Nothing early about it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Also while a lot of content was in some state of production I don't really think it's been close to finish all this time as you just have to look at Imperial City which appears to have had cuts in planned content to make release. They've definitely been sitting on a lot of reasonably finished content for release this year, so it will be kind of interesting to see what the pace of DLC releases will be like next year once all the stuff they've already announced is out.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

But they definitely have a lot planned out we know, as this map from uh, early beta testing I think, shows:

IIRC, TE used to be the old starting zone for like, way back in closed beta for Aldmeri Dominion, and GC is what we're getting next. Interestingly doesn't appear they had planned out Hew's Bane by then, but we got that before a lot of other stuff.

Summerset was inititally planned out to play a much bigger role in the main story with you having to stop Abnur Tharn, or something, but that was all cut pretty early. I think all the questlines/some dialogue still remains in the files though.

edit: Here's another early testing map:

Given that Tenmar was at least somewhat playable back then I wouldn't be surprised if it is probably reworked in to a DLC next year.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 24, 2016

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

But they definitely have a lot planned out we know, as this map from uh, early beta testing I think, shows:

IIRC, TE used to be the old starting zone for like, way back in closed beta for Aldmeri Dominion, and GC is what we're getting next. Interestingly doesn't appear they had planned out Hew's Bane by then, but we got that before a lot of other stuff.

Summerset was inititally planned out to play a much bigger role in the main story with you having to stop Abnur Tharn, or something, but that was all cut pretty early. I think all the questlines/some dialogue still remains in the files though.

edit: Here's another early testing map:

Given that Tenmar was at least somewhat playable back then I wouldn't be surprised if it is probably reworked in to a DLC next year.

Not only this, but based on them including Coldharbour as a playable area, they could make any number of wacky god worlds playable, too.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yeah, Murkmire and Clockwork city are likely the next two 'actual' DLCs coming out (Q3 DLC this year is suspected of being a player housing or something as ZOS has said that no new land or areas are being introduced with it) since both are heavily hinted at in Orsinium, but Q2 2017 possibly will be Mephala's Realm which is the last of the already announced DLC and takes place in the Oblivion realm for the prince Mephala.

Though it is a lot of room to fill in before they get anywhere near actually adding all of Tamriel in to the game. Even if they manage to stick to four or so content packs a year (each about one in-game region) that's going to take like six or seven years, not counting the dozen or so big name Oblivion planes if they're going about adding those as well.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they have at least five years of support planned.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Every once in a while I feel like picking this game up again, but my old install was so old that it refused to even start up and patch. I have to do a complete reinstall, which is a nightmare with the size of this game and the horrendous launcher. At the rate it's going it might finish downloading sometime in the middle of next week. This is the third or fourth time I've started to download it... Every previous time, I ended up going "oh, gently caress this" after a few hours and deleting the whole game directory. It hardly seems worth it. It's a decent game, but Jesus, this is just maddening.

I bought this game through Amazon back in the day, and I'm almost tempted to drop another $60 on a Steam copy just on the off chance that Steam's superior download service would allow me to actually play the game like one more time before I die.

I'm really yearning for the days of physical media right now.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You know you don't have to sit at the computer watching the download bar fill up, right? I know it seems inconceivable but maybe walk away from the computer for a few hours and do something else while it downloads?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Every once in a while I feel like picking this game up again, but my old install was so old that it refused to even start up and patch. I have to do a complete reinstall, which is a nightmare with the size of this game and the horrendous launcher. At the rate it's going it might finish downloading sometime in the middle of next week. This is the third or fourth time I've started to download it... Every previous time, I ended up going "oh, gently caress this" after a few hours and deleting the whole game directory. It hardly seems worth it. It's a decent game, but Jesus, this is just maddening.

I bought this game through Amazon back in the day, and I'm almost tempted to drop another $60 on a Steam copy just on the off chance that Steam's superior download service would allow me to actually play the game like one more time before I die.

I'm really yearning for the days of physical media right now.

Do you sleep?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

JackBadass posted:

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they have at least five years of support planned.

This was before Paul Sage and Nick Konkle both bailed on the studio. Specifically Sage. Konkle was just the big name behind Spellcrafting

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I don't think you guys are really hearing me here. I'm familiar with the basic concept of downloading a game overnight. It's literally going at a rate of 1% per hour, so I'm literally talking about over four days of downloading, unless this poo poo speeds up pretty significantly. Like many people, my weekends are only two days, so this is not ideal.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Yea their launcher has really bad download speeds. They should offer peer-2-peer downloading for patches (opt-in, of course) since their servers clearly can't offer the bandwidth required to download their files in a reasonable timeframe.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

jabro posted:

You know you don't have to sit at the computer watching the download bar fill up, right? I know it seems inconceivable but maybe walk away from the computer for a few hours and do something else while it downloads?

Maybe you can just go right off and gently caress yourself.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

This was before Paul Sage and Nick Konkle both bailed on the studio. Specifically Sage. Konkle was just the big name behind Spellcrafting

Don't get the obsession with spellcrafting. I read up on it and it sounded stupid. Just another alchemy.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
edit: done

Testvan fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 24, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Picked this up on PS4 for the sake of single player questing, how hosed am I in terms of social things? Is there a goon guild/any way to actually communicate in game without keyboards?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
gently caress it. How populated is this still on PC/how many goons still play/is the PvP still active and do goons care about it? Also what's the difference between Templar and Dragonknight? I like playing the Warrior archetype in games, but it's a bit strange to have two of them here. Is one basically sword and shield focused while the other is more two handed focused? Why are there two warrior types.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 25, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
If you want Warrior you probably want Dragonknight. I base that on solely playing Dragonknight, and no real experience with Templar, but one of their skill lines is all about healing, and all three DK skill lines are about fighting.

You can wield whatever weapons or whatever armor you want as any class- sword-and-board has its own skill line (that is available to everyone), for example. The only real things the classes define is your three class skill lines.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Melee Temp has you casting a stupid spear spell constantly and only using your weapon for weaving. Don't be a Templer like I did if you want to do cool end game melee

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Picked this up on PS4 for the sake of single player questing, how hosed am I in terms of social things? Is there a goon guild/any way to actually communicate in game without keyboards?

I played through the entire game solo on PC as a Templar. I didn't feel like I missed out on anything through 99% of the game. The only time I got into some trouble is in the public dungeons. They tend to be geared toward being in a party, but if you wait around for a little bit usually you can tag along with 2-3 people through the dungeon without having to join a party. Or you can just out level the area and come back and do it.

Of course, I don't care about PvP, so that never entered my mind. I can't speak about the PS4 specific things.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

JackBadass posted:

Maybe you can just go right off and gently caress yourself.

Well, I wasn't gonna say it, but...

Anyway, the downloader DID end up getting its poo poo together sometime during the night and the download finished this afternoon, so I managed to catch some play time after all. I'm glad I finally stuck it out and let that gargantuan download finish. I was afraid it was going to have to patch separately too, but apparently not. When it was done, it was actually done.

This isn't the best MMO and it isn't the best Elder Scrolls game, but as a hosed-up mash-up of the two, it's really pretty good.

Seems like the add-ons that put skyshards and lore books on the map got borked by a patch, though. Maybe it is kinda cheating, but man that was convenient.

By the way... I always saw the Dragon Knight / Templar difference as like a warrior / paladin difference, at least thematically. Templar seems to be the one that has the classic charge-into-battle ability, so I think I like it better, but they're both fun.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rookersh posted:

gently caress it. How populated is this still on PC/how many goons still play/is the PvP still active and do goons care about it? Also what's the difference between Templar and Dragonknight? I like playing the Warrior archetype in games, but it's a bit strange to have two of them here. Is one basically sword and shield focused while the other is more two handed focused? Why are there two warrior types.

Classes aren't Archetype, they are flavor.

A Dragon Knight is a Fire X. It could be a fire mage, it could be a fire tank.

A Templar is a Holy X. A Sorcerer is Arcane. A Nightblade is a 'dark' theme.

All classes can be a melee archetype.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rookersh posted:

I would say Dragonknight is more focused on brute force damage/tanking capabilities. I've found templar really works as a skirmisher kind of setup.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Picked this up on PS4 for the sake of single player questing

Why? For as long as I'll live, I'll never understand why anyone would buy a Massively Multiplayer game for a single player experience.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I solo mostly . I've always done it. I like playing with others in dungeons and pvp. But solo, I much prefer doing poo poo at my own pace without waiting on someone or having them wait for me.

So that's why I play by myself in a Massively Multiplayer Online game.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I really like sitting and not going anywhere. I could just buy a chair, but instead I'm going to spend $10,000 on a car and just sit inside it while it's parked.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It's f2p and has plenty of solo content, it works fine as singleplayer game. Besides, Skyrim doesn't even work on ps4 so atm this is the only way to get elder scrolls fix. And imo seeing other people makes the game feel more alive than singleplayers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

JackBadass posted:

I really like sitting and not going anywhere. I could just buy a chair, but instead I'm going to spend $10,000 on a car and just sit inside it while it's parked.

Right, because that's a great example.

I could go eat dinner with people. Instead I'm going to buy he restaurant and eat by myself.

• Locked thread