Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Pro-Tiki/Con-Tiki
Bob's friend Warren visits and offers to invest in the restaurant, but Bob is hesitant when he hears Warren's interior design ideas; the kids have to decide who will give up their room during Warren's stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

smashpro1 posted:

Pro-Tiki/Con-Tiki
Bob's friend Warren visits and offers to invest in the restaurant, but Bob is hesitant when he hears Warren's interior design ideas; the kids have to decide who will give up their room during Warren's stay.

If Warren even thinks about taking Louise's room, there will be blood.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
He can afford extra leg.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Naturally, Chris Parnell voices the rich guy.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I had all my organs and bones replaced with steel.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't catch the second burger of the day pun.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Do you really pee in your rain boot?
Nnnnnnnnnnnno.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Moving mountains? This must be what God feels like.

Teddy is a treasure.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My entry point is my bangs and then I win them with my personality.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If I'm going to marry a cute boy and live on a horse farm, say "aloha."

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

DEPLOY MENUS!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This is a very relaxing credits song.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

smashpro1 posted:

DEPLOY MENUS!

Why are you so good at throwing menus?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I know that Bob's Burgers is good partially because the Belchers are underdogs, but I sorta wanted Bob to have a small cut of that $100k in the end.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Canned Panda posted:

Why are you so good at throwing menus?

What do you think we do all day?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Having the family self-sabotage anytime something positive comes along is so frustrating. Would it be so bad if the family kept the new couch or had money invested in the business?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
But it's self sabotaging if Bob were to keep the money. He would be selling out his restaurant for something he clearly didn't want. In all honesty, the point about these episodes is that happiness comes from within. Bob would have been a soulless husk of a man, eventually pushing away everyone he knows and loves except for the pineapple who says "Aloha," but even then, Bob wouldn't be sure if that was a hello or goodbye "aloha." And who knows if the Tiki restaurant would have lasted. Let's be honest, we never saw more than the same group of businessmen there.

Also, just the nature of TV shows, balance has to be maintained.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think what helped it is at the end their friendship was strong enough to overcome their fight.

But Gene could watch TV!
Of course, he's the king of New Geneland.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

I know that Bob's Burgers is good partially because the Belchers are underdogs, but I sorta wanted Bob to have a small cut of that $100k in the end.

I feel like him keeping his friend is still a good ending, if the show was really mean spirited he would have been left with nothing.

Him letting his friend stay indefinitely to live as a surrogate family member in exchange for tiki money would probably ended up poorly eventually.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

He could have given Bob the profit from re-selling the tiki stuff.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
One of the main themes of the show is happiness isn't tied to financial success, and having them get a windfall out of nowhere and making that the happy ending undermines that. The happy ending is that they're still good friends who understand each other better now.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Head's up, no episode next week because of some country music bullshit, but there's a new one the week after.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think the episode would have gone better if the $100,000 hadn't been a thing, and his friend had just started making changes after Bob agreed to let him help. Also Tiki stuff is fun. Bob don't know what.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I feel like him keeping his friend is still a good ending, if the show was really mean spirited he would have been left with nothing.

Him letting his friend stay indefinitely to live as a surrogate family member in exchange for tiki money would probably ended up poorly eventually.

On the plus side, we could just start slowly amassing Archer voice actors until Bob becomes a cook at the cafeteria where Archer now works and the shows exist forever in parallel universes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Has Judy Greer and Amber Nash been on yet?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I understand Bob turning down the $100,000, since that also came with compromising the business that he owns and operates. Getting rid of the new couch was just self-defeating.

twistedmentat posted:

Has Judy Greer and Amber Nash been on yet?
Not to my knowledge, but I want them to. I know that Brendon Small has lent his voice to a couple of characters in the past, but I still hold out hope that he'll appear as a touring rock band's lead singer, or a director filming a movie in town.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Also Tiki stuff is fun. Bob don't know what.

Bob said in the episode that he usually thought Tiki stuff was fine, he just hated that his restaurant was being messed with. He would have hated whatever changes no matter they were (outer space, underwater, you get the idea) because he loves his shop just the way it is.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Bob said in the episode that he usually thought Tiki stuff was fine, he just hated that his restaurant was being messed with. He would have hated whatever changes no matter they were (outer space, underwater, you get the idea) because he loves his shop just the way it is.

Oh yeah. And I can see his point, there aren't enough fun little diners around where you can just grab a beer and a burger and maybe be harassed by the owner's kids.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh yeah. And I can see his point, there aren't enough fun little diners around where you can just grab a beer and a burger and maybe be harassed by the owner's kids.

Exactly, Bob values his independence and hates it when people try to tell him what to do (remember when he put up all those anus paintings he hated just because the art crawl lady told him not to?). He wants to be successful, but not if it means sacrificing his integrity or freedom.

I like how they showed that Warren's ideas weren't inherently bad (they did attract customers) they just weren't what Bob wanted, and his friend should respect that.

Anyway, I liked Warren. I kind of hope his character shows up again. It was funny how he kept causally pranking the kids.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I get that it's about Bob's integrity but realistically if a business was struggling for years and years and suddenly saw a boom in business only because of some decorations, I think most people would compromise and deal with it. I get that they have to keep the family as underdogs or the show doesn't "work", but since that is the case I feel like they should avoid episode plots where the Belchers end up having to actively choose to remain worse off.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I get that it's about Bob's integrity but realistically if a business was struggling for years and years and suddenly saw a boom in business only because of some decorations, I think most people would compromise and deal with it. I get that they have to keep the family as underdogs or the show doesn't "work", but since that is the case I feel like they should avoid episode plots where the Belchers end up having to actively choose to remain worse off.

I don't know, I felt like it was very much in character for Bob to act the way he did. It's been shown time and time again that making burgers isn't just a job for Bob, it's something he's very passionate about and he takes it very seriously. The Tiki stuff was (in his eyes) cheap and insulting to something very important to him. He wants people coming into his restaurant because they genuinely like his food, not because of some lame gimmick.

Now, keep in mind I wouldn't have done what Bob did. I agreed with everything Warren was saying and thought his ideas for attracting customers were spot on. Which makes sense, Warren is an extremely successful business man so he probably knows a lot about good marketing. But it doesn't matter, because it's not my restaurant and it's not Warren's restaurant: it's Bob's restaurant and he should be able to run it however he wants. And yes, he may not make as much money, but he's still getting by and he loves doing what he does. I wouldn't have chosen to do what Bob did, but I can understand and respect why he did it.

However, I'm also one of those people who's still kind of pissed about them not keeping the new couch. I know it's just a cartoon, but I also know what it's like to live with TERRIBLE furniture because you can't afford anything better. It sucks, I hate it. I've learned from first hand experience that whatever sentimental value you get out of holding onto a lovely chair that you've had forever isn't worth the back pain. So yeah, I just can't get into "New thing better, but old thing has so many memories!" plotlines.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I can't believe "Final Pestination" didn't get used until S6E15

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I would have liked to have seen him compromise by keeping a few of the decorations and maybe a little bit more business. It really felt like he was choosing to fail on his own terms rather than succeed with someone's help.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
The straw that broke the camel's back was Jimmy Pesto praising the changes. In Bob's eyes Jimmy's a fake gimmicky passionless jerk and represents everything wrong with the world. What kind of Italian restaurant has a Jamaican night? And that's interesting to think about because his dad thinks that way about Bob and his gimmicky burgers. It makes me want a candid Pesto family episode to get a clearer view of what they're all like together.

I think in the final episode of the series, the restaurant will suddenly get all the fame and money it's deserved over the years, but then they choose to go back to being a small family-owned diner. Then we get a time-skip where we see Tina and Zeke running the restaurant, Louise and Logan crashing in the front room, and Gene producing plays on Broadway starring Jimmy Jr.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I want a Pesto's Pizzas episode.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Inkspot posted:

I want a Pesto's Pizzas episode.

Have we met the Pesto matriarch yet?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Jimmy has implied that the kids go between houses so they're probably divorced.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

swickles posted:

Have we met the Pesto matriarch yet?
Not yet. All we know is that her and Pesto are divorced and they have joint custody
Let's hope she's voiced by Amber Nash.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

He could have given Bob the profit from re-selling the tiki stuff.

Who knows what was discussed when they had that beer together off-screen after the episode ended. It would probably be for the best if business conversation was avoided then, but I like to believe that Warren gave Bob some no-strings-attached money to put towards the kids' college funds or something like that. Maybe he just slips Linda some cash. I'm sure that if things were truly desperate for his family Bob would do what he had to do.

The Belchers have been (barely) making ends meet for all these years so obviously they have more business going on off-screen than just Mort, Teddy, and the occasional customer who only shows up in scenes that involve embarrassing things customers should never see. It'd be nice to see those tiki-loving businessmen eating in the background of some future episode, having come back because they loved the burgers so much.

It's nice to see a genuinely good-hearted character pop up and help out. Warren seems like legitimate extended family and I'm sure he'll always be hanging around helping out behind the scenes, even if we only see him again on camera when some contrived plot demands that Bob either beg him for money or help him out of a jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Plus it'd just be nice to have a recurring character that Bob actually likes.

Oh, and Marshmallow of course.

Hey Marshmallow.

• Locked thread