Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

TheFallenEvincar posted:

did you even bother reading the plot description? It's THE same series
It isn't.

Edit: It's finally happened, I can't tell if a joke is being told or not.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Vinland Saga is up on /a/. We get to see the touching reunion of Thorfinn and Thorkell.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's the link to the new chapter on /a/ - http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/139062911/vinland-saga-c126

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like Floki, but he is so incredibly hosed and dead the instant Thorfinn finds out he was the one who put the hit out on his dad

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

How many years have we been waiting for this particular meeting, seeing as its the reason for the entire story?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If the truth is revealed, I doubt Thorfinn would kill dice-head Floki, but I'm pretty sure Thorkell would do it without a second thought.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Angry Lobster posted:

If the truth is revealed, I doubt Thorfinn would kill dice-head Floki, but I'm pretty sure Thorkell would do it without a second thought.

I look forward to Thorfinn going through an entire chapter of flashback of overcoming his rage and finding the inner strength in himself to forgive Floki and then Thorkell walks in and punches Floki in the face so hard his head goes flying over a building

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I would also accept Einar doing the job

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Lets be totally honest with ourselves. Thorkell is the only one hot headed enough to burn every bridge in his life solely for the chance to fight a war. Killing Floki would be justice for his buddy Thors. Killing everyone else that sided with him would be for fun.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I hope Thorkell is able to walk the path of peace along with Thorfinn, like he wanted to do in the past.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

I hope Thorkell is able to walk the path of peace along with Thorfinn, like he wanted to do in the past.
Yeah, this is the most interesting implication here. Thorkell really respects Thorfinn, and he really respected his father. He's already noticed he has his father's look, he knows he's had the same epiphany. And the nature of that epiphany has been eating at Thorkell for years. Now he's finally got the opportunity for closure, one way or another.

It doesn't seem possible that someone like Thorkell will ever know peace, but I hope he gains some sort of understanding by the end of this.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

I'm confused, was most of the last page all in her imagination or did her dad actually say all that stuff?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'm confused, was most of the last page all in her imagination or did her dad actually say all that stuff?

She is acting like she is just accepting his decision, but inwardly she is happy.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Bro. Water wheels. You feeling me?

(New Otoyomegatari)

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I know who gets my vote in the character poll

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Let's peep some sick wheelage! :lol:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

some pro strats from Pariya this chapter

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
You know what's great waterwheels are great

This was a good chapter, A+ translation, team

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The translation liberties taken were top notch in this chapter

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Those waterwheels were loving sick, bros.:yeah:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
just curious, is this "Prince Edmund" guy referred to by Thorkell early in the series some historical figure I should know? Assuming it's this guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_the_Martyr
So I guess he got killed at some point before the events of Vinland Saga. Just kind of stands out to see Thorkell impressed by an Englishman.

bear murdering sick-looking bummed out Thorkell just makes me sad looking back at how much fun old Thorkell was having. He doesn't need conversion or some heart to heart with Thorfinn about the nature of pacifism or the haunting specters of war, he's not like that, I just want that psychopath out in the midst of some bloody war so he can truly smile again. :(

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Ironside

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there another link for Vinland Saga? The one posted is no longer working.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Just go to kissmanga.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Vinland Saga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Vol-018-Ch-127--Baltic-Sea-War--003-?id=271475

In which Thorkells proves that in addition to being a great fighter, he's also a great comedian.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Finally caught up on the last two chapters. I'm hoping we'll get to see more of this Chiefton chair is open plot and it's not just an excuse to have a chase scene.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Strong chapter. I guess the concern that we wouldn't see any more combat might have been premature, depending on how this plot plays out.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Re-reading the manga is a nice experience, some bits completely passed by me but the history was well planned, nice to see Thorfinn growing out of mindless violence.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

Strong chapter. I guess the concern that we wouldn't see any more combat might have been premature, depending on how this plot plays out.

I'm not worried about lack of combat mainly because with the sole exception of Farmland Saga, the writer has shown he can do tense and interesting social scenes. Also Thorfinns commitment to pacifism would be run into the ground if it was challenged every other issue.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Volume posted:

I'm not worried about lack of combat mainly because with the sole exception of Farmland Saga, the writer has shown he can do tense and interesting social scenes. Also Thorfinns commitment to pacifism would be run into the ground if it was challenged every other issue.

Honestly, I'm less interested in how Thorfinn deals with this than how Thorkell reacts to it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Azathoth256 posted:

Honestly, I'm less interested in how Thorfinn deals with this than how Thorkell reacts to it.

"B-but, Thorfinn-sempai..."

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
I love how Thorfinn reverts into his teenage personality around Thorkell.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Great chapter, I love Thorkell's troll face.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Angry Lobster posted:

Great chapter, I love Thorkell's troll face.

Thorkell exists solely to make fantastic faces, and occasionally punch or chop something to death

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think I'm most looking forward to seeing Thorkell destroy Floki. Now that we know Floki's goal, it's probable that the real reason he had Asklad attack Thors was Thors superior claim to succeeding the Chieftain.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I doubt thorfinn will destroy floki. It'd be out of character at this point. As for hild? She might put a bolt or two in him.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Thorkell's going to piledrive Floki

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

New chapter of Cradle of the Sea

http://bato.to/reader#48c718b8acfff1e6

half a flashback, and its really powerful

I think giving matches to Evan in the middle of a ships hold will probably come back to bite her though.

Crosspost. If you haven't read Cradle of the Sea before its a first time artist doing a series set during the industrial period in the 19th century where steamships still had sails and masts.

An orphan girl is picked up by a widower gentlemen to help raise his son, but when the man goes missing during a shipping voyage his brother inherits the estate and kicks the girl back to the street. Desperate to keep her promise to help raise the son, she kidnaps him on an impulse and sneaks on a voyage to escape the law, hoping to find the lost gentleman somewhere along the way.

Gorgeous art, cool characters, worth reading.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Volume posted:

I doubt thorfinn will destroy floki. It'd be out of character at this point. As for hild? She might put a bolt or two in him.

He said thorkell not thorfinn. Lotsa thors, unsurprisingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Gyges posted:

I think I'm most looking forward to seeing Thorkell destroy Floki. Now that we know Floki's goal, it's probable that the real reason he had Asklad attack Thors was Thors superior claim to succeeding the Chieftain.

Askeladd was a better dad than Thors so Floki was basically doing Thorfinn a favor.