Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Stand gettin' sick of other people trying to tell him what to do with his boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
what the gently caress was the point of the plane survivor than? so loving stupid

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Was this an actually good episode? Where things kind of made sense and there was active character development? :psyduck:

I feel like plane chick may come back with the pirates next episode, but if she's never seen again that'd be pretty awesome from a "consequences of actions" point of view. I loved that Madison just stood by and let Strand cut them loose.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

JossiRossi posted:

Was this an actually good episode? Where things kind of made sense and there was active character development? :psyduck:

Yeah this show's growing into it's own voice and I'm more surprised every step of the way

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
Did Hardwick just make a Too Many Cooks joke?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

When Chris pulled that survivor free and saw he was done for, then sagged back in the corner, my boyfriend and I were arguing what was going to happen.

'Daniel's gonna find him and do it.'
'Nah, he's gonna harden the gently caress up and do it. He's been getting tougher these past few eps.'

Did anybody really expect him to be the one to go 'most hardcore the fastest'?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Another good ep. Good on the writers.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Aw poo poo, did they just find the remnants of the military/govt?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm glad the teenager and the Asian girl worked out on the show.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Another 42 minutes of poo poo. Thanks AMC.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Zebulon posted:

Do the other characters not understand maritime formalities? Stand is the captain, when the man says "no more people," why the gently caress do they keep trying to bring on more people?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Sammus posted:

Do the other characters not understand maritime formalities? Stand is the captain, when the man says "no more people," why the gently caress do they keep trying to bring on more people?

It's the moral conundrum of the show. In TWD the question was whether it was ok to kill people who are a threat and how that makes you feel. It took 6 seasons to resolve that so you can look forward to approximately 6 seasons of "I want to save child/old lady/puppy!!", "We can't/won't!!!", "That makes me sad!!" It'll be exactly the same thing. Every time they break ranks and save someone it'll come back and bite them in the rear end somehow, just like sparing people on TWD was always the wrong choice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I want a Goon based Zombie apocalypse TV series, there would be cannibalism on the first episode.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

JossiRossi posted:

I feel like plane chick may come back with the pirates next episode, but if she's never seen again that'd be pretty awesome from a "consequences of actions" point of view. I loved that Madison just stood by and let Strand cut them loose.

I'm just as loving shocked as you. First two were terrible but I'm a goddamn :spergin: and will watch any zombie apoc poo poo but this was a legit really good ep. Nick slipping into the pit was dumb but was redeemed with Darth Nick coming out. He should keep that look for the rest of the series whilst wooing Elsalvidad's daughter.

Single By Choice
Apr 25, 2016

by Lowtax
Loved this episode. The show started shaky, but the momentum keeps building. Travis and Ophelia are the only one's I don't care for. Everyone else has potential in my opinion. Also does anyone notice the insane sexual chemistry between Nick and Alicia. I know their are not incestuous in the show, but the actors are clearly very attracted to each other. Someone watching this show for the first time tonight would probably think they were dating.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Single By Choice posted:

Loved this episode. The show started shaky, but the momentum keeps building. Travis and Ophelia are the only one's I don't care for. Everyone else has potential in my opinion. Also does anyone notice the insane sexual chemistry between Nick and Alicia. I know their are not incestuous in the show, but the actors are clearly very attracted to each other. Someone watching this show for the first time tonight would probably think they were dating.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Zebulon posted:

This is my biggest problem with the show. They're trying to have dramatic tension between Victor "Absolutely Correct in This Situation" Strand and Madison. It would make more sense in a world where its parent show didn't exist but since we, the audience, know that Strand's reasoning is completely justified in this show's universe, it lessens Madison as a character. We're obviously supposed to be rooting for them, too, which makes me go :psyduck:. It's unearned since Strand has been nothing but decent to them thus far.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I hope asian chick comes back with some villains who picked her up after her bud dies in order to get her revenge. I have no interest in watching the web series or whatever she's originally from. I assume it wouldn't add much

I have little hope that it'll happen though. one can dream

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Single By Choice posted:

Here's my problem with the episode: The timeline is made of loving stupid.

To explain what I mean:

- Airplane minisode poo poo starts. It is clear this is before anyone is aware of a zombie apocalypse.
- This is backed up by the boy texting his mom and being like "What's going on? Zombies, in my neighborhood??"
- Meanwhile our LA survivors had a two week time fade in which the world fell
- They find the plane crash like a few hours after it crashed

Did they crash through space and loving time? Don't try to tell me they spent 2, 3 weeks on that island hiding from zombies because would "gaping hole through the back" guy have been alive 3 loving weeks like that?

Anyway, it was a much improved episode over their normal fair but the only way I could not stop going what the gently caress is if I pretended that lovely minisode thing never existed. The fact is I bet you anything when they started it they never planned to link the two; it's clear the lovely minisode episode 1 took place concurrently with the Fear episode 1 timeline, so this makes no sense at all.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Vanderdeath posted:

This is my biggest problem with the show. They're trying to have dramatic tension between Victor "Absolutely Correct in This Situation" Strand and Madison. It would make more sense in a world where its parent show didn't exist but since we, the audience, know that Strand's reasoning is completely justified in this show's universe, it lessens Madison as a character. We're obviously supposed to be rooting for them, too, which makes me go :psyduck:. It's unearned since Strand has been nothing but decent to them thus far.

Madison is not an enjoyable character, but she might be complex. I'm not quite keen enough on the writers to assume that they are good enough to have done this intentionally, but Madison seems to be pretty torn on her life as a counselor before the zombies and her desire to keep the family safe at any cost afterward. She did not lift a finger or protest when Strand cut that rope, but she was alone at the time. When others are around she's a lot more conflicted, and hems and haws about what the right thing is to do. If I had to guess she's going to do some really bad poo poo to some people in the future to protect the family and try to hide it from everyone. Would be worth it for the chance of more, "YOU DID THIS! THIS IS YOUR FAULT!" accusations.

That said she might just be (and probably is) an inconsistently written character who is frustrating to watch, but there's a chance!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Here's my problem with the episode: The timeline is made of loving stupid.

100% right. This must have been forced down their throats by AMC because as bad as the writers can be there's just no way this was even a hack writer's idea. There's just too many things that are wrong with it.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Can someone explain to me why everyone decided to fight the zombies using an empty gun and a folded up newspaper Instead of just heading for the drat boat?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JossiRossi posted:

100% right. This must have been forced down their throats by AMC because as bad as the writers can be there's just no way this was even a hack writer's idea. There's just too many things that are wrong with it.

I'm not so sure, if only because it could have been done without being dumb: Just don't have any "massive hole in their back" survivors (I'm sure they could engineer a way for a survivor that was RECENTLY injured to fill the exact same dramatic role is that guy), and then establish a clear shelter that the woman and the kid survived in. Then add a single scene where our new group does something stupid and makes some noise alerting the zombies and bam.

Everything can play out exactly the same way and it's no longer a gaping hole the size of Jupiter.

ED: Furthering my point, the boat had a 3rd survivor in the intro. While he became Crab Zombie, ANYONE could have been Crab Zombie. Having everyone's favorite dumbass-turning-psycho run across him maybe with his leg half eaten stuck in the plane and have to put him down would have connected the intro to the plane sequence, and only made it better since we'd had a tiny bit of establishing of the character and where he came from.

I can only put this on the writers. This was sloppy poo poo nobody applied 2 brain cells to. Seriously if you could re-edit and re-shoot like 2 minutes worth of footage, you'd entirely close this; that irks me the most, when a hole this big could have been easily avoided.

ED: A bit of a rant but I definitely get a "Bah, nobody'll notice" laziness vibe and that's obnoxious.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 25, 2016

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

PerilPastry posted:

Can someone explain to me why everyone decided to fight the zombies using an empty gun and a folded up newspaper Instead of just heading for the drat boat?

It's stupid but the zombies flanked them cutting off their path to the boat until Blood Junkie opened the way,and they didn't just go right to the boat because their whole party was unaccounted for. Presumably. No idea what dude starts firing shots instead of running / gathering everyone.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did they crash through space and loving time? Don't try to tell me they spent 2, 3 weeks on that island hiding from zombies because would "gaping hole through the back" guy have been alive 3 loving weeks like that?

That guy took more whacks to the head to kill than any other other thing in the whole Walking Dead universe ever, he was a fuckin tank.

Neba
Feb 1, 2004

Tortuga posted:

That guy took more whacks to the head to kill than any other other thing in the whole Walking Dead universe ever, he was a fuckin tank.

Except maybe Glenn/Daryl/Abraham/Michonne/Eugene/Maggie/Rosita/Aaron/Sasha. :smug:

Neba fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 25, 2016

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Finally watched the episode this morning. I was actually surprised. Solid episode.
drat, I felt so horrible for the man with the broken spine. Horrific.

I was moved by the airplane crash lady's loyalty. I wasn't expecting that from her. I want to see that character again.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Are The Flying Dead mini... things even worth watching? Like I bet someone just crammed them all together on youtube by now, but.. should I waste my time and watch them?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Liked this episode. Junky Depp (I still don't remember anyone's names) coming in with Zombie-flage surprised me and was cool. Anyway that's my hot take not gonna write 3 paragraphs on why this show isn't realistic and bad.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
the suspense in this episode was good, the rest sucked as usual

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

the suspense in this episode was good, the rest sucked as usual

I did laugh that they must have gotten a SLIGHTLY better budget since they had more zombies on that tiny rear end island than all of Los Angeles, and actual zombie effects besides "dump white makeup on their face."

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Johnny Truant posted:

Are The Flying Dead mini... things even worth watching? Like I bet someone just crammed them all together on youtube by now, but.. should I waste my time and watch them?

It's like, fourteen minutes at most, but really, you're not missing a whole lot. It's the same old 'weird things are happening, one mysterious lady seems to know what's going on but nobody listens to her when things start going awry, kill a zombie, uh-oh! The plane's about to crash!'

I was hoping Useless Air Marshall would have shown up this episode though, or Chris would find the flight attendant still strapped in her jump seat.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i took about 4 semesters of fiction workshop throughout my primary school and college career, and i can honestly say that your average walking dead script would've been the worst thing i'd have read in any of them

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sammus posted:

Well the "law of the sea" is just another human law in the end, and all that poo poo goes out the window like everything else in the Zombie Apocalypse. Basically Strand has no real authority besides force and force of personality to hold onto "his" boat at this point.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Astroman posted:

Basically Strand has no real authority besides force and force of personality to hold onto "his" boat at this point.

And that assault rifle he has hidden in the bridge...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That might have been the best episode of the series so far. Good tension, excellent zombie effects, and lots of good vs bad aspects of using a boat in this situation.

And Strand is walking a tightrope because they don't really need him as captain and could easily mutiny. He's only the leader because he says he has a place to lead them to. And at some point in time (when it's least convenient) they're going to run out of fuel; then he'll be the captain of floating debris.

TMMadman posted:

Why does she even care where they are going other than to say 'Hey we're going here'?

I mean zombies are walking the earth and they witnessed LA get bombed/burned and they read/heard that San Diego got the same treatment. So why the hell shouldn't they go to Mexico?
I agree that the border should be pretty much irrelevant now.
But they should be wary about Strand's new information about "a house" (not "my house") in Mexico that he never mentioned before. Probably the home of a drug smuggling operation or something along those lines, and there's no way to know if it's vacant or already occupied. Or if the people Strand knows who might be there would welcome him and his big crew.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 26, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like Strand maybe the only one that understands the doohickeys and gizmos on the boat but I guess Maori dad can figure it out with an old binder

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They just need the family for the mexican cartels can test a cure.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

That might have been the best episode of the series so far. Good tension, excellent zombie effects, and lots of good vs bad aspects of using a boat in this situation.

Agreed, though it must be said that it's not a hard task. People leaving alone one by one was pretty laughable as was starting to shoot wildly at the slowly approaching mob and cornering themselves in a dead end 3 meters away from the path to safety.

e: Mom is being pretty naive to not share the whole story at least with her husband. It's obvious they aren't going to get inside that compound, even if he's not planning on leaving them Stranded :downsrim: when they are no longer useful there is no way those people inside will take them in. Why would they?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 26, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
If the captain enters the house or compound without the families, they can take the boat and strand Strand.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Lol there is no house.

• Locked thread