Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

From Software and their goddamned poison swamps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Your mom's vagina should probably sue them for violating her likeness rights.

Not that it's ever cared about violation before.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

FactsAreUseless posted:

God drat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

:drat:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Len posted:

Just wait until you come across the toxic swamps.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Len posted:

I haven't played dark souls 3 but when I do, "giant poison pit area full of identical enemies" is on the bingo card because we are 4 for 4 on every preceding game there.

So is "dropping puzzle on rickety platforms," "multiple NPCs end lines of dialogue with heh heh heh," "slouchy depressed guy at the start of the game," "asocial levelup woman," "NPC who kills other NPCs if you don't stop them" and "the dark area"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I got good at sniping choppers out of the air in BC2.
Aircraft were the reason I really enjoyed Battlefield Hardline actually. It has choppers but last time I played even small-arms fire damages them. Pick up a LMG, find cover/hiding spot and just rip into a hovering one to freak it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It doesn't ruin the game or anything, but I'm playing Heart of the Swarm and I'm slightly annoyed that I chose the 'wrong' Zergling upgrade. Zerglings that can scale cliffs is cool, but given how much I'd rather just throw masses of them at the campaign levels, I wish I chose the instant-spawn three-per-egg option for once.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

FactsAreUseless posted:

:sbahj: fuckin savage

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

FactsAreUseless posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaRBHQlEu-o

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Digirat posted:

I haven't played dark souls 3 but when I do, "giant poison pit area full of identical enemies" is on the bingo card because we are 4 for 4 on every preceding game there.

So is "dropping puzzle on rickety platforms," "multiple NPCs end lines of dialogue with heh heh heh," "slouchy depressed guy at the start of the game," "asocial levelup woman," "NPC who kills other NPCs if you don't stop them" and "the dark area"

i'm barely into the third area of the game and the only thing i haven't seen are those last two, but one dude looks a little murder happy and i know there will be a dark area

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

:shittypop:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

Just wait until you come across the toxic swamps.

I have no clue as to how much of the game I have left but I ran into one toxic swamp and I didn't think it was that bad. It was so much smaller than the poison swamp and actually had islands and whatnot that you could actually make it to in time.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Croccers posted:

I got good at sniping choppers out of the air in BC2.
Aircraft were the reason I really enjoyed Battlefield Hardline actually. It has choppers but last time I played even small-arms fire damages them. Pick up a LMG, find cover/hiding spot and just rip into a hovering one to freak it.

If there were a Bad Company 3, I'd love it if they'd add a delay to the rocket launchers and make it so that LMGs would damage choppers. It sucks getting one-hit by a dude with a CG, but ti also sucks that the CG (or other rockets) are so necessary to destroy vehicles at range.

There's inherently going to be better weapons and loadouts, but when the player base evolved to the point of being 50% engineers using the CG rockets as anti-infantry, it gets a bit silly and the devs should step in and rebalance.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

muscles like this? posted:

I have no clue as to how much of the game I have left but I ran into one toxic swamp and I didn't think it was that bad. It was so much smaller than the poison swamp and actually had islands and whatnot that you could actually make it to in time.

Yeah, I'm currently at the Farron Keep, just after solving the puzzle, and the worst thing has been the giant tree enemies. Especially that one shiny that is guarded by three of them. Definitely an area I'll return to to clear out later but I got a bone shard to burn at the bonfire, an ember for forging and a Dark Sword that dropped from the first DarkWraith I defeated so not bad for a first pass. Thank god for the Farron Ruins bonfire though, running through that swamp sucked.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Apr 25, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The swamp can be kinda annoying at points because it's really big (and therefore a very obvious "hey remember the worst loving Demon's Souls level" reference), and I got lost in it a lot, but the poison might as well not matter. Normal poison in DS3 is laughable, even less of an issue than poison in DS1 was.
Which annoyed me quite a bit because the flipside is that I made a boss weapon into a poison spear expecting quick stabs from behind a shield to poison people and then I'd laugh and watch them die, but the last part doesn't really work when the damage is like
(that's total damage, and the number changes every...half second?)
And enemies even in the early game have >200 HP...

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

FactsAreUseless posted:

This insult is a loving work of art. My god.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nuebot posted:

Achivements and cosmetic rewards didn't really exist back then. Then in PS1 JRPGs you had a lot of optional super bosses that just gave you poo poo items that told you "hey, you beat this boss good job" and nothing else. I spent hours fighting one boss in Digital Devil Saga for the PS2 and got nothing substantial for it. :shepface:

"You just whooped the rear end of the most powerful bad guy we could come up with! Here's your prize! I bet you think it's some badass poo poo like a special sword or wicked new spell or an awesome new limit break! Hell, I bet you'd settle for some concept art for doing something so time-consuming and difficult!"

*entry appears in tutorial screen reading "Proof of Omega"*

:argh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

At least you get a screen congratulating you, the bonus bosses of FFV just drop items that have the effect of... only being dropped by those bosses. :downs: (Shinryu chills in the same chest as the ultimate sword though)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Nuebot posted:

I spent hours fighting one boss in Digital Devil Saga for the PS2 and got nothing substantial for it. :shepface:

Are you referencing the fight with the Nocturne protagonist? I forgot if that was on DDS 1 or 2. That loving fight has to be one of the most difficult in any JRPG. In usual Atlus tradition if you try to somehow break the fight with absorbing all the damage you get infinite combo'd and spammed with almighty damage until you die.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I've played a lot of jRPGs just for the optional superbosses. I don't really care about any prizes, it felt good just to be able to beat them. Probably why I took so well to the Soulsborne series.

There are definitely some bullshit optional superbosses, like Elizabeth in Persona 3. You need to have a very specific strategy to deal with her cycle of overpowered attacks and the one unavoidable 9999 damage attack (in a game where your hp cap is 999) that she throws in at the end of each cycle. She can also attack twice per turn and full-heal whenever she goes below 50% hp. She also has 20k hp.

So how do you beat this nightmare of a boss? You can block her instant kill move with a particular spell, so as long as you're paying attention to her attack order you should be fine on that front. But to actually beat her you have to keep track of the damage you're dealing. Once you get her to slightly above 10k hp, you have to keep a persona with High Counter equipped. This way if she does a physical attack you'll have a chance of countering it and then using your own 9999 damage dealing spell on your turn to finish her off. (You did bring the two specific persona that allow you to use that spell, right?) The problem is, since she attacks twice per turn, if you counter her FIRST attack she'll just full-heal on her second turn and usually stops following her cycle of attacks, so you're likely to see her randomly whip out her instantkill move which you won't be able to defend against.

Basically, this long and complicated fight with a bunch of rules you have to follow and damage you have to keep track of is decided at the very last moment by a coin flip. Have fun spending the half an hour to an hour whittling down her hp all over again!

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Apr 25, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hey there Proof of Omega buddy.

The real fuckoff in FF8 was having to draw 100 spells from monsters in the early game before you can refine cards. And Triple Triad rule spreading.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Digirat posted:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"You just whooped the rear end of the most powerful bad guy we could come up with! Here's your prize! I bet you think it's some badass poo poo like a special sword or wicked new spell or an awesome new limit break! Hell, I bet you'd settle for some concept art for doing something so time-consuming and difficult!"

There's a certain point where you just have to accept that the game can't give you anything good for beating a superboss. You just did the biggest challenge in the game, that most people playing would never even come close to achieving; there is nothing they can give you that you haven't proven clearly unnecessary by getting it in the first place.

You did it for bragging rights, realistically the only thing they can give you is something to point at to do that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm playing Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin and I think the new enemy placements are better in general but holy poo poo, the guy who did the iron keep sure liked him some Alonne Knights. They come at you as thick as your garden variety hollow pissant did in DS1. I'm not sure I'd recommend SotFS to someone who wasn't already so experienced at Souls games that they can 1 shot 90% of the non-dlc content.

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, I'm currently at the Farron Keep, just after solving the puzzle, and the worst thing has been the giant tree enemies. Especially that one shiny that is guarded by three of them. Definitely an area I'll return to to clear out later but I got a bone shard to burn at the bonfire, an ember for forging and a Dark Sword that dropped from the first DarkWraith I defeated so not bad for a first pass. Thank god for the Farron Ruins bonfire though, running through that swamp sucked.

Those three tree guys also have a special drop if you kill one of them, the item they're standing near is really nothing special though.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Please tell me you're joking.

No way, I'm dead serious m8. He also owns a football what more do you want.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cleretic posted:

There's a certain point where you just have to accept that the game can't give you anything good for beating a superboss.

Give me big head mode, or a model swap mode ("NOBODY WILL REFER TO ME IN THE PAST TENSE," said Raine, angstfully), or gently caress I dunno access to debug mode? NG+ with a full stock of every spell, card, and weapon so I can just wreck poo poo (like that goddamn robo-spider in the first mission)?

At the end of the day, yeah, it felt good seeing Omega bite it, but something more than a certificate buried in the tutorial menu would've been nice. I'll admit that it's hardly a thing dragging the game down (that would be ridiculous card rules spreading before you get a handle on how that happens :barf:)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tracula posted:

Are you referencing the fight with the Nocturne protagonist? I forgot if that was on DDS 1 or 2. That loving fight has to be one of the most difficult in any JRPG. In usual Atlus tradition if you try to somehow break the fight with absorbing all the damage you get infinite combo'd and spammed with almighty damage until you die.

Yes, he's vulnerable to like three things. Almighty, Bullets and Earth. Because Earth wasn't an element in Nocturne. He summons two demons at all time, at least one of which can heal him to full health at any time during the fight, all of which are strong enough to instant kill any of your team members in one hit, several of which will buff him and debuff you if you try to buff. One of the more recommended strategies for the fight is to get his healer out and let it run out of mana so it can't heal him. Also use one specific skill on the guy weak to status effects so he can't be hit while asleep. Which is the only time you'll ever use him or that skill.

The good news is that the congratulatory item you get for beating him does do something if you import your save into the second game, you get a stat boosting equip item that's not very good. No reward for beating satan in DDS2 though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Moon Monster posted:

Those three tree guys also have a special drop if you kill one of them, the item they're standing near is really nothing special though.

Yeah, I used a +2 longbow to take them out and got the poison flower thing. I also got the Black Bow of Pharis and the Pharis Hat. :3:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The main problem with a lot of the Atlus super bosses is that they where a hodge podge of lovely and obtuse mechanics, for the demifiend if I remember correctly they where as follows:

Cannot use any null element ability, usage of any null ability would have him use an attack that would wipe out your party, but you can use null sleep, thing with null sleep is that it doesn't actually prevent the sleep status effect it just causes your character to auto dodge everything when they are under the sleep status effect, this ability is actually the key to winning the fight.

Demifiend has 6 demons he can summon, he will keep summoning them as you take them out, you cannot kill them and just leave him demi alone, he will always keep summoning them.

When you get the demifiend to half health he will always himself to full, thing is his demons have an internal timer counting down from the moment the fight starts, it takes 30 turns, when you hit turn 30 one of his demons will cast recamdra which causes the demon to die but heal everyone to full, so you gotta plan his planned full heal and this internal clock gimmick and then its a damage race before you hit turn 30 again.

At turn 15 he will use this party kill attack, before this happens one of his demons will cast Dormina(sleep status on your entire party) to ensure it hits, this where null sleep comes in, basically you have to pray dormina connects so you can survive the attack, or bring along the largely useless weak to status ailment party member, probably the one time he gets to shine.

Demifiend himself is invulnerable to all types of damage except almighty and earth.

Satan in DDS2 had similar mechanics, his main differences where his attack that would seemingly kill someone at random(it didn't, it killed the person with the lowest magic, if everyone had max magic it would kill someone at random.) and his full heal gimmick was when he hit 1,600 hp he would ALWAYS heal himself to full, so you need to keep track of your damage, pray you didn't land a crit when you where close to the trigger for his full heal and then hope you can land 1,600 on your last turn.

Elizabeth/Theodore/Margaret where in a bit more simple in comparison beyond their full heal gimmick and don't use personas that null anything, it was pretty much memorization and rotating personas, you could also brute force Margaret since you could take your entire party against her if you wanted.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The ending to The Banner Saga 2 feels like it's missing a lot of planned content and is overall just really lame and disappointing.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I picked up Fairy Fencer F during the Steam winter sale for like $5 (game and all the ridiculous DLC), and it's mostly amazing. There are a lot of things I could crow about (and probably will) in the good little things thread, and a lot of great decisions as far as battle system, character/enemy design, music and story.

It's juuuuuuust shy of being the best JRPG I've played since Tales of Xillia, but goddamn unskippable transformation cutscenes. You can use your transformation in any battle; there's really no reason NOT to unless you really feel like taking your time kicking the enemies' poo poo in. So why would they make me sit through a ten-second animated cutscene for EVERY SINGLE TIME I TRANSFORM A CHARACTER with no option to skip them or view them once, then never again? Even the lovely Final Fantasy games realized that it was a good idea to put in an option to skip or shorten summon animations.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm playing Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin and I think the new enemy placements are better in general but holy poo poo, the guy who did the iron keep sure liked him some Alonne Knights. They come at you as thick as your garden variety hollow pissant did in DS1. I'm not sure I'd recommend SotFS to someone who wasn't already so experienced at Souls games that they can 1 shot 90% of the non-dlc content.

I ground out 15 kills on every one of those pricks because I had some trouble with the smelter demon and they make the run back distilled misery. SotFS was my first time playing DS2, I did not like it. Do you remember the red-eye knight from Demon's Souls? That sure was cool, right? Well what about if we put a high level enemy right in your way in the first area so you have to really squeeze to one side while also fighting 3 hollows or aggro it and probably die? That's basically the same thing!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I will defend many things about dark souls 2 but scholar putting that hippo at the start of the forest of fallen giants was duuuuuumb.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Digirat posted:

I will defend many things about dark souls 2 but scholar putting that hippo at the start of the forest of fallen giants was duuuuuumb.

I too am incapable of figuring out advanced strategies such as "stay on the riverbank".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

I too am incapable of figuring out advanced strategies such as "stay on the riverbank".

I didn't have trouble with it having played the original game before, but for new players, sticking a giant enemy that will almost certainly kill them right on the main path at the start of the game is very nonsensical. It's an unnecessary hazard placed at a point where most players will be forced to put their understanding of the mechanics to the test for the first time outside of the tutorial. It wanders incredibly close to the bonfire, and the cave tunnel with an item in it, so it most likely led to a lot of first time players having a bad first experience. Everything else nearby is simple to kill, so sure, they'll try to take on the hippo too. Much like the random dragon they put in heide's, it goes back to the complaint that scholar seems very much designed for people who had already played dark souls 2 before, which does not make sense as scholar was the version designed for xbox one and PS4 players. I have read complaints from multiple people who started with scholar about these things.

Please continue to be condescending about your videogames for no reason though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SOTFS was a great NG+ change that was unfortunately pushed to NG