Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Gotta try the KBS. I've had lots of good stouts and this one is one the the popular ones that I haven't tried.

I've had many cans of Ten'Fidy. One of my favorites. Next to The Abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've had some nice sours recently. There was the Phillips "Sax In The Dark" dark sour w/ grape must, the Fuggles & Warlock/Powell St. collaboration "Hikari" dry-hopped sour weisse, and tonight, the "Titian" oak-aged Flanders-style sour from Steel & Oak. Out of the three, I think I may like the Titian best, though Hikari was very nice as well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

Ten FIDY is like alcoholic dark chocolate only you cant taste the alcohol also you can buy a 4 pack for $15 :getin:

Welcome to the party, pal!

Just wait until you try your first proper bba imperial stout.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Not beer talk: Just killed a bottle of Batch 1 Virtue Percheron (2012 harvest), a brett brux fermented wood aged cider. Fresh this was good and dry with a subtle brett character. Just about three years later and it's dry, earthy, horse blanket as gently caress. loving killer. ISO more...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Welcome to the party, pal!

Just wait until you try your first proper bba imperial stout.

I've already had a couple of those lol, last one was oil man

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Not beer talk: Just killed a bottle of Batch 1 Virtue Percheron (2012 harvest), a brett brux fermented wood aged cider. Fresh this was good and dry with a subtle brett character. Just about three years later and it's dry, earthy, horse blanket as gently caress. loving killer. ISO more...

Luckily, it's easy to find. Maybe not aged, but pretty easy.

I discovered Surly Todd The Axe Man recently. This poo poo is fire. One of the best IPAs in Chicago's distro range, and absolutely worth seeking out.

Also got to have Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza Grande Reserve, which was disappointing considering the pedigree of the original. Biere de Mars GR was incredible, but this just isn't.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Confession: don't really care for JP. Their beers always seem kinda flat and one-note. I know beer geeks that jizz over their WILD YEAST or w/e but I just can't bring myself to say I like them that much.

With that said, I did have a two year old bottle of Madrugada Obscura a couple months ago and that was very tasty. And Hamajang was tasty, too, and kinda cool concept.

Gio fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 23, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I just had a bottle of de Garde Petit Amarillo explode on me :( what a bummer, I suppose gotta stick to that 24 hour guideline to chill a beer!

A bunch of new to me Bruery bottles were also opened at this share and I'm rather underwhelmed by poo poo and Les Ronces, and that had the whole Upland enamel ripping thing going on which didn't help.

Plan Bee Nectar is lovely and I want more of these 750's.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

air- posted:

I just had a bottle of de Garde Petit Amarillo explode on me :( what a bummer, I suppose gotta stick to that 24 hour guideline to chill a beer!

A bunch of new to me Bruery bottles were also opened at this share and I'm rather underwhelmed by poo poo and Les Ronces, and that had the whole Upland enamel ripping thing going on which didn't help.

Plan Bee Nectar is lovely and I want more of these 750's.

Nectar is the best thing they've ever done IMO, and everything off the new brewhouse has been leaps and bounds better than the old stuff. I am so glad to be in the Hive membership. And Evan/Emily are cool people too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The Green Bench ipas, Sunshine City and Happy Hermit in particular, are really really good! And that means a lot, coming from me, someone who's pretty ambivalent about hops.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Went to the Angry Chair taproom today and sampled some of their latest releases. The Fionn imperial porter is a hazelnut bomb, and a bit sweet for me, kind of like the German Chocolate Cupcake Stout. The Awakening was a nice solid coffee milk stout with chocolate, not quite as rich as CCB's Cafe Americano, but still very good. Took home four bottles of each. The bartender said they went through 1200 bottles of the Fionn yesterday when they released it with a six bottle limit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Apache posted:

Went to the Angry Chair taproom today and sampled some of their latest releases. The Fionn imperial porter is a hazelnut bomb, and a bit sweet for me, kind of like the German Chocolate Cupcake Stout. The Awakening was a nice solid coffee milk stout with chocolate, not quite as rich as CCB's Cafe Americano, but still very good. Took home four bottles of each. The bartender said they went through 1200 bottles of the Fionn yesterday when they released it with a six bottle limit.

AC has one of the best stouts in the southeast and I hope hype catches up to them. GCCS was really fuckin good, but then again I love viscous diabetes bombs like that. Their lighter offerings are decent but nothing incredible. Their little birds berliner however is one of my favorites in the bay area.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

AC has one of the best stouts in the southeast and I hope hype catches up to them. GCCS was really fuckin good, but then again I love viscous diabetes bombs like that. Their lighter offerings are decent but nothing incredible. Their little birds berliner however is one of my favorites in the bay area.

The releases with smaller bottle counts seem to go in less than a few hours(Fudge Bucket, Soda Popinski), so I think the hype is there at least locally now. I just hope it doesn't get to be like Cycle hype levels where getting bottles is a huge hassle.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
We always complain about a lack of English barleywines, but Bishopsgate from Strange Land is a loving jam. I'd argue that this leans a near an old ale (it has that licorice bite) but finishes with toffee and brown sugar. Hops are minimal, a welcome change from too many of these. This feels like what Alpine Good must be. So if this is in barrels, i'd be super pumped.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Apache posted:

The releases with smaller bottle counts seem to go in less than a few hours(Fudge Bucket, Soda Popinski), so I think the hype is there at least locally now. I just hope it doesn't get to be like Cycle hype levels where getting bottles is a huge hassle.

Fwiw didn't awakening have a low count and wasn't there still some in the cooler today? Also I got to have some of their barrel aged barleywine, aka BA Dave, the weekend that the brandy barrel vanilla Zhukov shitshow was happening and that was my favorite barleywine I've ever had. Also their head brewer, Ryan, is good people. I saw him restocking the cooler the weekend awakening was released and I wondered what other head brewer would get off his rear end and do stuff like that.

Edit: also

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
All the Philly area people going to Tired Hands tomorrow for the anniversary party?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Lyon posted:

All the Philly area people going to Tired Hands tomorrow for the anniversary party?

All of them.

(Not me, I'm going to Pizza Boy)

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

a worthy uhh posted:

All of them.

(Not me, I'm going to Pizza Boy)

I'm still 50/50, I have a stupid 5k at 10 and I'm imagining that place will be packed by the time I could get there. I also went to Kane today and spent some money because rumor was Mexican Brunch was being released so I'm not sure if I'll want to spend a ton of money tomorrow at Tired Hands. Sadly Kane released some Belgian quad instead of Mexican Brunch so color me disappointed, Mexican Brunch should be released very soon though.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Trip report: I enjoyed the hell out of Sucaba 2016. Thanks for encouraging me to drink it now, guys, that was good advice.
Now I just wish I had more barleywines on hand.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

briney melon gose is a weird beer that's slowly growing on me

Apache
May 11, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Fwiw didn't awakening have a low count and wasn't there still some in the cooler today? Also I got to have some of their barrel aged barleywine, aka BA Dave, the weekend that the brandy barrel vanilla Zhukov shitshow was happening and that was my favorite barleywine I've ever had. Also their head brewer, Ryan, is good people. I saw him restocking the cooler the weekend awakening was released and I wondered what other head brewer would get off his rear end and do stuff like that.

Edit: also

They bartender said they double batched both Fionn and Awakening, so probably 1400-1600 bottles each. I'm thinking Fionn won't last the three weeks in the cooler that Awakening did though. He also said the monthly bottle releases eat into their capacity and hence the lack of GCCS on draft in the taproom after it had been almost like a core beer when they first opened.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Liliko'i Kepolo is really really good. Also in bad news, Odd Side BA Mayan Mocha is apparently infected, along with possibly some of the other recent BA stouts. It sure was good fresh but the last one I had did seem pretty tart, which at the time I chalked up to palate fatigue since nothing else really tasted good that day. Makes me a little less upset that one of my roommates apparently stole the last of mine which I was planning to send away. Mokka Munt tasted fine a few weeks ago, so maybe I'll test the last one for science tonight in case I need to go buy some more (how it's still available, I have no idea).

Also I like Ninja vs Unicorn a lot. Is Chillwave out yet? One store here still has last year's, so it's hard for me to tell.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Apache posted:

They bartender said they double batched both Fionn and Awakening, so probably 1400-1600 bottles each. I'm thinking Fionn won't last the three weeks in the cooler that Awakening did though. He also said the monthly bottle releases eat into their capacity and hence the lack of GCCS on draft in the taproom after it had been almost like a core beer when they first opened.

I hope they got more space/tanks since it's kinda obvious that since they started bottling their taplist has been hurting and they now usually have 3-4 guest taps on.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

krustster posted:

Liliko'i Kepolo is really really good.

Seconding this; Avery returned to Nebraska last month and that was what I was looking forward to the most. I was not let down.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Nth Doctor posted:

Trip report: I enjoyed the hell out of Sucaba 2016. Thanks for encouraging me to drink it now, guys, that was good advice.
Now I just wish I had more barleywines on hand.

keep an eye out for Stickee Monkee, Sucaba's sweeter sibling

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Any of you Houston goons around this week? I get in late tonight and then will have Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon and night free. Going to hit up as many of the places listed in the wiki as possible. Any particular bottles I should be on the lookout for down here?

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

obi_ant posted:

I live in San Francisco and can't seem to get my hands on Founder's KBS. I can seem to get their other major releases but not the KBS. How much are they for a bottle typically? A rip off beer place has them in stock, but $10 a bottle... I don't know if I'm willing to pay that much.

If you ever get up to sac kbs is shelf turding it up here, 21.99 a four pack at whole foods, nugget, total wine, bevmo etc.

I wish I was gonna be down near sf soon I'd bring down a 4 pack and trade you for a cellarmaker growler. I'm sure you could find someone to do that if you know anyone coming up to sac.

Super lucky today walked into Costco and they had just put out their parabola, 11.99 a bottle. Everywhere else in town was 15 bucks limit one and half sold out before they even got it holding it for their buddies.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Lyon posted:

Any of you Houston goons around this week? I get in late tonight and then will have Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon and night free. Going to hit up as many of the places listed in the wiki as possible. Any particular bottles I should be on the lookout for down here?

Been slacking on that and there's some things to change in there... but you've got some time so here's some routes:

Downtown/Midtown: the Spec's megastore in Midtown, D&Q Minimart, Mongoose Vs Cobra, downtown Saucer, and Axelrad beer garden (suggest just using Lyft/Uber for all of these if you're staying around here). Could even add a few places that aren't too far off like Hay Merchant, Montrose Whole Foods, Growlers.
Garden Oaks trifecta is solid too, I'd do this on Tuesday night: Brash, Petrol Station, and Cottonwood

Hit St. Arnold for lunch on Wednesday. And of course stupid amounts of food to suggest if you're into that too.

I'll dd if you wanna buy me a round or something

air- fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 26, 2016

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

air- posted:

Been slacking on that and there's some things to change in there... but you've got some time so here's some routes:

Downtown/Midtown: the Spec's megastore in Midtown, D&Q Minimart, Mongoose Vs Cobra, downtown Saucer, and Axelrad beer garden (suggest just using Lyft/Uber for all of these if you're staying around here). Could even add a few places that aren't too far off like Hay Merchant, Montrose Whole Foods, Growlers.
Garden Oaks trifecta is solid too, I'd do this on Tuesday night: Brash, Petrol Station, and Cottonwood

Hit St. Arnold for lunch on Wednesday. And of course stupid amounts of food to suggest if you're into that too.

I'll dd if you wanna buy me a round or something

Sent you a PM.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Somewhat neat stats I was just alerted to, the top 35 breweries in the world according to Untappd ratings. A few observations:
- There's a couple joints I've never heard of in there that I'll have to check out. It is nearly all tiny breweries with huge homerism going on but still.
- LOL at An for making it in twice
- Tremendous proud for The Ale Apothecary to beat de Garde, even though I don't feel like they have the trade cred of the latter still (probably due to price)

Its actually cool that you can filter by country, as obviously the overall ratings are massively tilted toward US breweries and the few fetishised Belgian sour producers.

FWIW the UK listings are about 50/50 great breweries and meh to terrible.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Had a couple things over the weekend:
Rare - not infected, real loving good. Really nice whiskey heat with none of the cheap burn; an excellent version of an excellent stout. Not worth $60 unless it actually did add an inch to your dick.

Batch 6 (2013) Surette - very dry now, with some lemon & orange pith. Probably should have had this before the Rare, because it's still a pretty subtle bretted Saison, nothing crazy going on. Still real good.

Fonta Flora Beets Rhymes & Life - when I've had this on draft, it's been very dry and very, very earthy. You could definitely taste the beets. Out of the bottle, the beets are still front and center, but there's also some tartness going on in the background that offsets and highlights the earthiness in a real fuckin' nice way. Unique, and now I wish I'd bought some bottles when they were out - they took a good beer to a really good beer with the bottle conditioning. It makes me wonder if they took bottles to GABF, because I never understood why that beer won gold based on the draft version.

Now I've got a 6 pack of Summer Love and a 4 pack of St. Feuillien Saison cans in the fridge to work through while it hits the mid-80's this week.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Time for my quarterly self promotion of my podcast

We just did a blind showdown of 9 of the most widely available California IPAs and I thought it was a fun little contest:
http://www.fourbrewers.com/2016-ipa-showdown/

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Me, my bro, and a buddy are planning a Richmond VA weekend in early June. Funkybottoms, I know you're the resident Richmond expert (I think there are more goons too), wanting to see if you have any recommendations.

We're heading down Thursday June 2nd and all getting tattoos at Salvation, and afterwards I was thinking that would be a good time to maybe check out Mekong. We're then gonna stay Friday and Saturday and try some brewery hopping. I think we'll probably just Uber everywhere that's not walkable. So far I have Ardent, The Veil, Isley, Hardywood (which all seem pretty close to each other), Strangeways, the new Stone taproom, Center of the Universe, Triple Crossing, Garden Grove, and 7 hills. The Answer Brewpub, and Blue Bee Cider which I think I saw recommended before.

I think a full day Friday and Saturday could be enough to hit all of those, but if any are not worth going to I'd skip em and spend more time elsewhere. Ardent, Hardywood, Veil, Center of the Universe, Strangeways, and Stone are the main ones I'm familiar with, the other ones I don't know much about. Also, any must have food places to check out?

Looks like there are plenty of hotels. There's a quality inn in Scott's addition which would be close to breweries, but if there's a cooler or better location I'm up for that. Thanks for any guidance, would be cool to meet up for a beer with any Richmond peeps.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

nosleep posted:

Me, my bro, and a buddy are planning a Richmond VA weekend in early June. Funkybottoms, I know you're the resident Richmond expert (I think there are more goons too), wanting to see if you have any recommendations...

oh, don't get me started...

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'd be available Friday afternoon and Saturday night. Probably don't bother going to Strangeways, unless you like a taplist with a thousand Randalled kettle sours and a couple mediocre Belgians. Center of the Universe is way outside Richmond proper and doesn't do anything noteworthy, skip 'em. Go to Veil, Hardywood, Ardent, Triple Crossing and The Answer Brewpub. Stone Richmond isn't brewing their own beer yet, they don't have anything you can't get anywhere else.

For food, consider Saison/Saison Market, Lucy's, 821 Cafe, Heritage, Metzger, Perly's, Roosevelt, etc etc etc. There are so many really good restaurants in Richmond. You should probably get more specific with what you prefer and what part of town you'll be in. Or just hit Yelp.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

funkybottoms posted:

keep an eye out for Stickee Monkee, Sucaba's sweeter sibling

I found a bottle of the previous release of that last week and felt like I won a lovely lottery. It might be their best beer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i sent him a monster PM and a link to what i've been working on for the beergoon wiki and drat if we don't make a lot of the same points!

wattershed posted:

I found a bottle of the previous release of that last week and felt like I won a lovely lottery. It might be their best beer.

i'm pretty good at holding onto beers to drink at a later date, but not that one; drank my last bottle the other day and i could seriously crush it year-round

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

poop dood posted:

I'd be available Friday afternoon and Saturday night. Probably don't bother going to Strangeways, unless you like a taplist with a thousand Randalled kettle sours and a couple mediocre Belgians. Center of the Universe is way outside Richmond proper and doesn't do anything noteworthy, skip 'em. Go to Veil, Hardywood, Ardent, Triple Crossing and The Answer Brewpub. Stone Richmond isn't brewing their own beer yet, they don't have anything you can't get anywhere else.

For food, consider Saison/Saison Market, Lucy's, 821 Cafe, Heritage, Metzger, Perly's, Roosevelt, etc etc etc. There are so many really good restaurants in Richmond. You should probably get more specific with what you prefer and what part of town you'll be in. Or just hit Yelp.

Yep you and funkybottoms basically gave the same info, so that helps a ton. Will be able to just spend more time at the good spots and take our time. I think we'll shoot to stay in the Scott's addition area and just use Uber to get around to some of the further out places. Appreciate it, and definitely will PM and see if ya wanna grab a beer when we're down there.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be in San Francisco tomorrow through Sunday, staying near Japantown - where's worth visiting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Podima posted:

I'll be in San Francisco tomorrow through Sunday, staying near Japantown - where's worth visiting?

What's your transportation status? There's some really awesome stuff over in Berkeley that's worth the trip if you can make it, Fieldwork and Rare Barrel (sours only), Cellarmaker is near downtown, if you have a car SARA is an hour and a half south and Russian River is an hour and a half north.

Toronado is a famous beer bar in the city and then City Beer Store is a good bar/bottle shop.

Those were the suggestions given to me last time I was out there.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 28, 2016