Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
The Thrall Axe is so good and makes me wish more non-dagger weapons had mobility weapon arts. The hardest bosses (particularly Nameless King, Soul of Cinder, and Princes ) are really easy to dodge with quickstep's crazy iframes and it still hits hard enough to kill them. It's not amazing in pvp but you definitely surprise some people when you quickstep their combo instead of rolling/blocking and still have enough stamina to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thrall Axe is criminally underrated. I can comfortably say I've not seen a single one since I started pvping.

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Thrall Axe is criminally underrated. I can comfortably say I've not seen a single one since I started pvping.

I've made a decent bit of use of it in pvp, but its range is just terrible. I also haven't really found much use for anything except the r1either. It weighs nothing though so I keep it around as a weapon swap sometimes to chase down wizards and such.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Here's the thing you have to realize about the thrall axe. It hits like, 3 times as hard as a dagger. And you can slide around.

Its weapon art lets you slide around no matter what your equip load is. Even at 100%, you're just a zippy motherfucker who can still lay down some quick hurt.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Any idea which medium/medium-heavy armor is good to complement a 30-35 STR & 30-35 DEX longsword build? I really wanted to get the Elite Knight set but it's fairly garbage in comparison to the Fallen Knight. All is really has is immense poise and a bit of extra magic defense.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Anyone know if 'Finger' is a censored word for names?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyHQct0VOLw

you come at the champ, you better not miss

I'm starting to love this weapon. Three chumps in a row (two of them were the same dude though)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So (catacombs) I killed Horace, after killing the boss of the area. After that I traveled to fire link for some poo poo went back to tell Anri nothing but there's nothing but prism shards in both locations.

Did I just get glitches out of the Hollows ending?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

dragonslayer axe owns bones.

I'm conflicted because i really think i should get Dragonslayers Shield for NK. I have Yhorms axe already and great wolfs sword already.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just watched the other endings besides End The Fire.

Man, Linking The Fire in this game is the saddest, most pathetic "good/neutral ending" I've seen in my life.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

School Nickname posted:

Holy poo poo, the section just before Anor Londo is a massive pain in the ballsliterally valhalla if you're Kindled and have huffed the dried fingers and the seed of a giant tree, along with any combination of phantoms and Way of Blue.

Then again, the entirety of Irithyll seems to be great for doing that. The high point on both NG and NG+ for me was going from Central Irithyll to Church of Yorshka doing that, but I try to do it whenever possible. The game becomes much more interesting with constant invasions.

Also, anyone else notice that the one bridge in the Profaned Capital looks uncannily like the first half of the Anor Londo bridge in DS1, where Lady of the Darkling used to hang out? It's quite noticably missing in DS3, which leads me to think that the "missing parts" of Anor Londo found their way there as a result of some cataclysm. The Irithyll city planners are kinda lovely to trust/build a ceiling and dungeon over that foundation after such a serious failure, though.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Finally got this game in the mail Friday (thanks, military postal system) and spent all weekend on it. I just made it to Anor Londo and stopped there so I can do it all in one go after work. The combat threw me a little at first, it feels a lot faster than the previous two but I'm getting in the groove and parrying dudes regularly now. In the meantime I attempted to recreate Undead Ted Cruz.

I should've made him High-FTH, low-INT.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Spoiler questions for Yhorm lore.

So what kind of "giant" is he anyways? Like a Giant with a capital G that is one of them from Dark Souls 2 or just a giant in terms of being really, really big? During the cinematic when he stands up he clearly has a face and not a hole or crazy monster face like the one in the memory either. Also apparently he was a total bro with the onionbro in this game and even gave him a Stormruler to put him down incase he went hollow :smith:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

School Nickname posted:

Any idea which medium/medium-heavy armor is good to complement a 30-35 STR & 30-35 DEX longsword build? I really wanted to get the Elite Knight set but it's fairly garbage in comparison to the Fallen Knight. All is really has is immense poise and a bit of extra magic defense.

whatever looks the dopest

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just watched the other endings besides End The Fire.

Man, Linking The Fire in this game is the saddest, most pathetic "good/neutral ending" I've seen in my life.

I like that your character does basically the same animation that your Dks1 character did when linking the fire and instead of a massive explosion its just a small flame. It really shows you just how weak the first flame has gotten and there probably won't be too many cycles left before it goes out for good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

God I love launching Silver and Black Knights with the Black Knight Greataxe.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm never going to beat this game, I keep making new characters for pvp gimmicks

I really am enjoying the PVP, even with the 3v1s

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Mainly because it loving works a lot of the time

Also Saint's Rowvenant is the best covenant

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

School Nickname posted:

The Faraam set looks amazing in this game. Get your VIT up to 19, slap on the kite shield and go beyond death.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ZenVulgarity posted:

Mainly because it loving works a lot of the time

Also Saint's Rowvenant is the best covenant

That Covenant sucks because it's a PVP covenant that basically requires you to use co-op to unlock it. Well, at least, I had to, gently caress fighting two watch dogs at once

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tracula posted:

Spoiler questions for Yhorm lore.

So what kind of "giant" is he anyways? Like a Giant with a capital G that is one of them from Dark Souls 2 or just a giant in terms of being really, really big? During the cinematic when he stands up he clearly has a face and not a hole or crazy monster face like the one in the memory either. Also apparently he was a total bro with the onionbro in this game and even gave him a Stormruler to put him down incase he went hollow :smith:

Yhorm is a tragic dude. Just wanted to rule his dilapidated shithole in peace...

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I am just not a PvPer. Never liked it in MMOs, don't like it here. I'd play offline if I didn't like the hint messages and the occasional jolly cooperation. I think my brain is broken and the bit that's supposed to enjoy a challenging match of skills and wills with another person is entirely subsumed in lizard brain SOMEONE'S TRYING TO KILL ME mode. Even when I win fights (Which is, surprisingly, all five of the invasions I've had so far) I'm left with shivers and a racing heart instead of a glow of success. I think I've begun subconsciously trying to die as soon as possible after each boss so I can go back to my solitary exploration.

That said, I just beat the pontiff and although I've been trying my damndest to explore everything without spoilers I want to know whether I should continue on from there or go back and do Irithyll Dungeon. I found the precise sequence of events to gently caress myself over vis a vis Orbeck on my last character and I don't want to make any kind of similar mistake, so which one is the main path and which one is the side option?

(For others' knowledge or at least their schadenfreude--I found Orbeck, fought Crystal Sage and found the entrance to Cathedral but I still had some exploring to do in Crucifixion Woods so I turned back. I ended up beelining through the swamp, finding no scrolls but killing the Stray Demon on my way to Abyss Watchers. At this point I noticed the single Cathedral bonfire on my travel list and went back to explore that, ultimately offing the Deacons. Came back to Firelink to find Orbeck had scarpered because I'd killed four bosses without giving him reading material.)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Melanion posted:

That said, I just beat the pontiff and although I've been trying my damndest to explore everything without spoilers I want to know whether I should continue on from there or go back and do Irithyll Dungeon. I found the precise sequence of events to gently caress myself over vis a vis Orbeck on my last character and I don't want to make any kind of similar mistake, so which one is the main path and which one is the side option?

Do whichever strikes your fancy - you have to do both eventually.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That Covenant sucks because it's a PVP covenant that basically requires you to use co-op to unlock it. Well, at least, I had to, gently caress fighting two watch dogs at once

Actually mound makers not only rules, but you can get it super early in the game, before you even meet Sirris

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Actually mound makers not only rules, but you can get it super early in the game, before you even meet Sirris

:yeah:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the biggest mystery of this game is why there's a crab in one of the skeleton orbs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GentlemanGiant posted:

The Faraam set looks amazing in this game. Get your VIT up to 19, slap on the kite shield and go beyond death.

The Faraam set is also probably the most well-balanced in terms of absorption of any set in the game, with 25-28% in everything without also weighing ten million pounds like the Winged Knight set or Havel's.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I just got invaded by someone while not doing co op or anything. Just invaded while embered. Maybe I'm just in a place ppl like to troll but I thought you had to be with a summoned spirit to get invaded by a player.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ok so people keep asking, what's that building? What's that? So I took some pictures from the cliff just after Vordt

The bridge, the undead settlement, cursed greatwood's church, giant's tower, the start of sacrifice road. Those three little villages on the right are just decorative, I think. Also I'm pretty sure that's Archdragon Peak up in the top left.

Sacrifice Road, Crucifixion Woods in the middle- you can even see the Crystal Sage's building. Cathedral on the right.

Farron's Keep, and the three fires. !!! I should go back and check if they're stop showing up after clearing it.

The bridge, and then the long, low building is the Abyss Watcher's/start of the Catacombs.

Boreal Valley and Anor Londo shrouded by fog. An excellent way to conceal the surprise, while still teasing it. The Peak middle-top right. That big mountain is the one with the dragon (carved? fused? petrified?) on it, but the details aren't visible.

Another view of "Irithyll", from the start of the Settlement.

And another of Crystal Sage from the Settlement. The geography doesn't seem to be right here, to me.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

JetsGuy posted:

So I just got invaded by someone while not doing co op or anything. Just invaded while embered. Maybe I'm just in a place ppl like to troll but I thought you had to be with a summoned spirit to get invaded by a player.

No it's just less likely.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

JetsGuy posted:

just being embered at all lets you be invaded, the game just highly favors placing invaders with hosts who have a bunch of summons

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Mazerunner posted:

Ok so people keep asking, what's that building? What's that? So I took some pictures from the cliff just after Vordt

And another of Crystal Sage from the Settlement. The geography doesn't seem to be right here, to me.

Yeah the scale is a tiny bit off, I assume as a LOD trick to save space, but it's all still relatively accurate.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

Maybe I'm just in a place ppl like to troll

so like, past the start menu, then

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Babe Magnet posted:

so like, past the start menu, then

Well I've been invaded three times without coop people in the last ten minutes so.

At Iythrll or whatever. Just past the bridge.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What's a relatively quick crowd control weapon to complement my Lothric Knight Sword? It can be either STR/DEX weapon. I'll just respec.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Xenolalia posted:

Yeah the scale is a tiny bit off, I assume as a LOD trick to save space, but it's all still relatively accurate.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ELEVATOR THAT GOES UP TO IRON KEEP :iamafag:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Irithyll is a SUPER popular place to invade because of two reasons:

1) the Pontiff bonfire, or more precisely directly out of the room its in, is the closest thing to a pvp arena this game has. People flock there to do pvp. A lot of the pvp videos you see online will be people fighting there.

2) it's a super easy place to run away if you're in invader, since almost every enemy in that zone needs your maximum attention or they'll combo you to death

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I just did the final boss for a super laggy guy so the boss was just floating around in T-pose and I wasn't effected by any of his moves so I just wailed on him :buddy:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

What's a relatively quick crowd control weapon to complement my Lothric Knight Sword? It can be either STR/DEX weapon. I'll just respec.

It's hard to go wrong with either the Bastard Sword or the Claymore. Charcoal Pine Resin + the Bastard Sword easily took out the Deacons for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

JetsGuy posted:

Well I've been invaded three times without coop people in the last ten minutes so.

At Iythrll or whatever. Just past the bridge.

Run around summoning every phantom you can, I hear they love that.