Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Check out the Dell outlet store, they sell refurb and run 35% off coupons quite often (at least the US store does).

Some of the ASUS monitors offer GSync, which is nice particularly on a 4K monitor where you're going to struggle to generate enough FPS to reliably saturate it.

Dell outlet doesnt have P2715Q (the canadian one) :( . About Gsync, that maybe true, but at the moment I'm not terribly convinced that I need it. I have a nvidia 970, and it performs beautifully on the games that i do play (blizzard games) at 2560x1600 on the primary monitor (which would become the secondary monitor replacing the 1920x1200 that I have now). Is there a video to showcase its advantages? I'm running linux most of the time (booted windows 2 times in the last 3 years for less then an hour combined and all it wanted was updates), but I do run the nvidia proprietary drivers. Does GSync want driver support? The games that I run on linux (mostly blizzard games and a few from Steam) are running fine now on max settings. At 4k will they break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
One thing to keep in mind about the 4k panels is that they generally have very high input lag, something you should know if you are going to game on one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Volguus posted:

Dell outlet doesnt have P2715Q (the canadian one) :( . About Gsync, that maybe true, but at the moment I'm not terribly convinced that I need it. I have a nvidia 970, and it performs beautifully on the games that i do play (blizzard games) at 2560x1600 on the primary monitor (which would become the secondary monitor replacing the 1920x1200 that I have now). Is there a video to showcase its advantages? I'm running linux most of the time (booted windows 2 times in the last 3 years for less then an hour combined and all it wanted was updates), but I do run the nvidia proprietary drivers. Does GSync want driver support? The games that I run on linux (mostly blizzard games and a few from Steam) are running fine now on max settings. At 4k will they break?

Outlet stock comes and goes. Keep watching for a few weeks.

I have a 780 Ti, which performs about like the 970. It usually performs OK at 4K/medium, but sometimes you do need to drop down to 1440p high or 1080p ultra as you choose. I didn't find 1440p on the P2715Q to be fuzzy or anything, I think between the high PPI of 4K and good scaling it is workable. You do need to modulate your settings like anything - some settings aren't workable at super high resolutions (eg supersampling AA). Anything DOTA-tier will work just fine, I play a lot of twitchier FPS games.

I actually now have both a P2715Q 4K/60hz and a S2716DG 1440p/144hz Gsync monitor dual screened. GSync is really nice because it prevents any tearing or stuttering. Dropping to like 30-40 FPS is no longer the end of the world. Like, I no longer ever look at my framerate indicator when I'm using my S2716DG, it always just feels like at least 60fps is happening no matter what. And, 144hz is buttery smooth. On some stuff the 4K is nicer - it's definitely a more vibrant display. The brighter you get any display the more washed-out the colors get, and the IPS display can get more vivid (contrastier) than the TN for any given brightness. I posted a comparison a couple pages back. Particularly for games that are locked to 60hz the 4K is really nice. But I do wish it had GSync, then it would be absolutely perfect.

GSync does need driver support. I can't comment on the Linux situation. Do some googling first.

One thing is that some games don't scale the UI with the resolution. So at 4K the interface can get awfully small.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

One thing to keep in mind about the 4k panels is that they generally have very high input lag, something you should know if you are going to game on one.

The P2715Q doesn't. I didn't like the amount of ghosting on my TN panel but it didn't have lag either. Some of the early 30hz models do suck pretty hard, but nything sold in a gaming context will be fine.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Wonderful. Thank you for the information so far. I feel better prepared to make the jump to 4k, whenever that'll be.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
My apologies for my last post (edited it out). Looked at past posts and did more research so I have more serious and direct questions.

What is more important, IPS or 144hz? CS:GO is the only fast paced and competitive game I play. I am more interested in making games look nice and run smoothly than getting a cutting edge in speed.
Also, is G-sync worth getting or is it a gimmick?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fixit posted:

What is more important, IPS or 144hz? CS:GO is the only fast paced and competitive game I play. I am more interested in making games look nice and run smoothly than getting a cutting edge in speed.
Also, is G-sync worth getting or is it a gimmick?
Seems like you kinda answered your own question: IPS is what you want for making everything look nicer in terms of colors and black levels and such. 144Hz is damned nice, but if CS:GO is the only high-FPS game you play, and you don't consider yourself a Serious Business Top Match Player, well then maybe it's not so important. It's doubly not so important if you don't have a 980/980Ti (or plan on getting Pascal), since you probably won't be able to push anywhere near 144 FPS in most games anyhow otherwise.

GSync/FreeSync is pretty snazzy if your GPU isn't powerful enough to do 60+ FPS solid. If it can, it's largely unimportant. But if you're dragging along in the 30-50 FPS range, it can make a noticeable improvement.

That said, if I were buying right now and there was any possibility of me getting a new GPU soon, I'd simply hold off and see how this whole AMD/NVidia thing shakes out. AMD looks poised to make a serious play for the high end this time around, and if they're competitive, FreeSync is a LOT cheaper than GSync. Otherwise I might simply consider one of the Korean 27" 1440 IPS monitors and overclocking it to ~96Hz for $300, then picking up a better monitor once the industry figures out how to make 144Hz IPS panels that don't cost a poo poo ton and have terrible QA.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

DrDork posted:

Seems like you kinda answered your own question: IPS is what you want for making everything look nicer in terms of colors and black levels and such. 144Hz is damned nice, but if CS:GO is the only high-FPS game you play, and you don't consider yourself a Serious Business Top Match Player, well then maybe it's not so important. It's doubly not so important if you don't have a 980/980Ti (or plan on getting Pascal), since you probably won't be able to push anywhere near 144 FPS in most games anyhow otherwise.

GSync/FreeSync is pretty snazzy if your GPU isn't powerful enough to do 60+ FPS solid. If it can, it's largely unimportant. But if you're dragging along in the 30-50 FPS range, it can make a noticeable improvement.

That said, if I were buying right now and there was any possibility of me getting a new GPU soon, I'd simply hold off and see how this whole AMD/NVidia thing shakes out. AMD looks poised to make a serious play for the high end this time around, and if they're competitive, FreeSync is a LOT cheaper than GSync. Otherwise I might simply consider one of the Korean 27" 1440 IPS monitors and overclocking it to ~96Hz for $300, then picking up a better monitor once the industry figures out how to make 144Hz IPS panels that don't cost a poo poo ton and have terrible QA.

Ah alright. A few buddies have said the 144hz makes games look better so I wasn't sure. Doubt I will be pushing 144 then with a 970 and an i5-4590, although I don't know if it holds a constant 60 fps.

Korean monitors? Why are these not showing on PCPartPicker?

Thank you so much for the correct direction to be heading.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Fixit posted:

AFAIK it's because PCPartPicker uses prices from stores in your country and Korean monitors are generally bought direct from Korean Ebay sellers.

144Hz is nice but you'll only see it in a few instances, IPS is also nice and you'll see it all the time. Besides, you'll see some benefit from overclocking a Korean monitor and pairing it with a 970 (which is a very solid match for 27" for now), even if you can get 96Hz out of it that's still pretty good compared with 60Hz.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 24, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fixit posted:

Ah alright. A few buddies have said the 144hz makes games look better so I wasn't sure. Doubt I will be pushing 144 then with a 970 and an i5-4590, although I don't know if it holds a constant 60 fps.

Thank you so much for the correct direction to be heading.
Yeah, unless you're turning a lot of things down, you won't be in the FPS stratosphere with a 970. Depending on the game, 50-60 should be doable, though.

As Hume said, mostly because they're "non traditional" sales vectors. If you do opt for one, the current one to get is the Crossover 2795, last I checked. In any event, do NOT get one with anything other than a single DVI input if you want to try overclocking, as any of the multi-input models do not overclock whatsoever. PixelPerfect is also usually something of a scam, as most of the vendors will simply offer to refund you something like $5-$10/bad pixel, vice actually replace the unit. Also understand that the stands on them are kinda crap, but with a little effort you can remove them and replace it with a much better one from Dell or HP or whatever else via the VESA mount on the back.

They're not perfect, but they're the only >60Hz IPS 1440p game in town until you start talking silly prices. Hell, even without overclocking they'd be a solid buy at $300.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Fixit posted:

Ah alright. A few buddies have said the 144hz makes games look better so I wasn't sure
You don't need 144hz or even 120hz to see a big improvement over 60hz and get that silky smooth feel to movement on screen. Its hard to maintain that level of performance in most new games anyways at native resolutions if you don't have a top end card. 72hz is a noticeable step up from 60hz and even many people with "golden eyes" who game competitively have a hard time telling the difference between 90hz and 120hz. Personally I think the 144hz+ monitors are all silly and well into diminishing returns to the point you're wasting money.

Yes technically the eye can "see" stuff that fast but that doesn't seem to much matter thanks to all the processing work your brain is doing on the stuff the eyes are giving it to maintain the illusion of a continuous smooth motion. Finally found the old article on this again so its not just a random person saying stuff on the internet.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You don't need 144hz or even 120hz to see a big improvement over 60hz and get that silky smooth feel to movement on screen. Its hard to maintain that level of performance in most new games anyways at native resolutions if you don't have a top end card. 72hz is a noticeable step up from 60hz and even many people with "golden eyes" who game competitively have a hard time telling the difference between 90hz and 120hz. Personally I think the 144hz+ monitors are all silly and well into diminishing returns to the point you're wasting money.

Yes technically the eye can "see" stuff that fast but that doesn't seem to much matter thanks to all the processing work your brain is doing on the stuff the eyes are giving it to maintain the illusion of a continuous smooth motion. Finally found the old article on this again so its not just a random person saying stuff on the internet.

Thank you for this. I trust what goons say, in this forum, because you are all knowledgeable and serious. I am now looking at monitors that are 75hz and IPS; my wife is liking this because price has dropped significantly. I don't know about the Korean monitors. The reviews are kinda all over the place from what I see.

May edit and update after mass.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Personally I think the 144hz+ monitors are all silly and well into diminishing returns to the point you're wasting money.
I'd agree with you if there were some other intermediate steps, but other than the Korean overclockers, your options are 60Hz or 144Hz with some very occasional one-offs. Absolutely agree that if they sold 120Hz monitors for less than 144Hz ones, the better buy would be the 120's, but that's sadly not the case, and the difference between 60 and 144 is pretty apparent. Hell, the difference between 60 and 96 is pretty noticeable just in desktop use. Would be nice if the powers that be decided that improving the production process so that high-FPS IPS panels could actually pass QA regularly instead of trying to push to 165+Hz was more important, but welp.

Fixit posted:

I don't know about the Korean monitors. The reviews are kinda all over the place from what I see.
Get a Korean one if price is a concern. Seriously. Look back through hundreds of pages of this thread: I literally cannot think of a single time someone bought a Korean monitor and came back and went "well you fuckers led me astray!" The biggest complaint against it is the stand, which is fixable with a $20 replacement. If you're really that concerned, though, the ASUS PB278Q is a pretty solid alternate. It's a little more expensive, but the build quality is decent, and you get a real warranty with it. No overclocking, though, and no *Sync, but if you're running NVidia you're not gonna find an affordable GSync monitor anyhow.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
going to post this again because its somewhat relevant, yes its only a 1080p ultrawide but its ips.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-003Z3R

non open box

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-003Z3

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Also just as an aside, after having my settings lapse on a game and accidentally giving me a proper side by side comparison, *Sync is definitely worth it. It's annoying that there isn't a great selection of it for the screens where it matters most though. At 144 Hz, a slow or fast frame matters a lot less than when you're pushing a huge resolution and only doing 72 or less and some frames are getting shown right after being made and others are out of date when they hit the screen.

Playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and Division with framerates in the mid-40s feels perfectly reasonable to me unless I pan the camera fast and let's me run some surprisingly high settings for a 290 pushing an ultrawide. Without freesync it felt janky as hell.

The Korean IPS are awesome and singlehandedly make me wish DVI wasn't an obsolescent connector dying a deserved death.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Interesting study. It seems like they didn't test higher frame rates than 75hz, though?

quote:

chance as the researchers dropped the image exposure time from 80 milliseconds to 53 milliseconds, then 40 milliseconds, then 27, and finally 13 — the fastest possible rate with the computer monitor being used.

Maybe they should have over clocked their monitor :smug:. Shame they didn't have some badass gamers around

Also, this study was focused on identifying images, but I wonder if there is another lower threshold for just perceiving motion. Sort of like how I can perceive something move in my peripheral vision but I can't id it. Just speculating.

Also, I want to say that I read studies related to VR that explained the 90hz these headsets have targeted, suggesting that something like 90hz was near the minimum for the flicker fusion threshold or something. I can't find the source so please don't quote me on this, but maybe someone knows what I'm talking about

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

wargames posted:

going to post this again because its somewhat relevant, yes its only a 1080p ultrawide but its ips.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-003Z3R

non open box

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-003Z3

I have the 29-inch version of that and I love it but that one is $100 extra and would look like poo poo with a PPI so low. I'd recommend getting the 29-inch and just moving it a few inches closer to you for the same effect.

Edit: for 21:9 1080 it's a goldilocks thing. The 25" model is too small and 34" is too big, but 29" is just right.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Also, this study was focused on identifying images, but I wonder if there is another lower threshold for just perceiving motion. Sort of like how I can perceive something move in my peripheral vision but I can't id it. Just speculating.

Also, I want to say that I read studies related to VR that explained the 90hz these headsets have targeted, suggesting that something like 90hz was near the minimum for the flicker fusion threshold or something. I can't find the source so please don't quote me on this, but maybe someone knows what I'm talking about
Yeah, not going to get into the physiology of it, but the human eye/brain combo is pretty loving great at tracking objects and motion in general. While it's pretty neat to see how quickly the eye can identify a scene (there are other studies showing some pretty phenomenal abilities to identify specific individual objects at even faster rates), it's largely immaterial to monitor design because that's not really how the eye/brain system works in practice: it spends a lot more time and effort comparing the differences between "images" (conceptually, anyhow, since neither the brain nor the eye process "single frames" as a general rule). Consequently, you're more likely to be annoyed by poor motion blur in a monitor than by pure Hz. As for VR, the higher Hz is basically required to make all that relative movement "smooth enough" to satisfy the eye/brain, while also allowing for input lag low enough that the delay between movement and response is not disorienting.

tl;dr high-Hz monitors and ULMB are awesome, and VR is for porn.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Does anyone here use DisplayCAL/dispcalgui? If so, do you know how you can get it to export an icc profile that can be applied to a machine without having to go through the entire calibration process again? Googled around and there's little in the way of useful information regarding this so I feel like I'm missing something - are the profiles stored anywhere in a usable format? Is there an option to export one somewhere?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I'm planning on building a new gaming rig, and I'd like to replace the ghetto monitors that I'm currently using. This monitor seems to be well reviewed: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb278q I plan on using this video card: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g

Any insight or concerns?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe consider one of these refurbished displays:
http://acerrecertified.com/UM.HB0AA.A02
For 20-30 more you would be getting g-sync and 144hz. One thing to be aware of is the single display port on this monitor.

Here is a pretty comprehensive review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ultrasharp 1440p 27" IPS monitors. Or like 25" if you're trying to cheap out.

So I was planning on doing this and then found that their weight (20lbs or so) is higher than the 15ish capacity that the monitor arms at our newly built desks/cubes have. Anything that's exactly like this but lighter?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Check that that isn't including the (very nice) stand.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Im sure the stand is nice. The desks are small and the already existing monitor arms are pretty much required if you want to have enough space on your desk to say, place some paper on it.

I didn't find specs without the stand, but unless its like 7lbs it seems too risky.

Edit: Dell is nice and actually has Panel Only specs listed. Shockingly it says 12.44lbs for 'Panel only - vesa mount'.

http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u2713hm/pd

the 25" is <10lbs. nice.

falz fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 24, 2016

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
My buddy with a 970 picked up a FreeSync LG monitor for dirt cheap. Does the adaptive sync work with that combo at all?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

terre packet posted:

My buddy with a 970 picked up a FreeSync LG monitor for dirt cheap. Does the adaptive sync work with that combo at all?

Nope, nvida could support the open standard but thinks their module will be better in the long run.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

wargames posted:

Nope, nvida could support the open standard but thinks their module will make them more money in the long run.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

falz posted:

Im sure the stand is nice. The desks are small and the already existing monitor arms are pretty much required if you want to have enough space on your desk to say, place some paper on it.

I didn't find specs without the stand, but unless its like 7lbs it seems too risky.

Edit: Dell is nice and actually has Panel Only specs listed. Shockingly it says 12.44lbs for 'Panel only - vesa mount'.

http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u2713hm/pd

the 25" is <10lbs. nice.

Yeah, Dell is pretty solid about getting that kind of thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wargames posted:

Nope, nvida could support the open standard but thinks their module will be better in the long run.

G-sync predates DisplayPort 1.2a adopting AMD's proposal to port adaptive refresh over from the eDP world; I'm told that it was far from a sure thing when it was first proposed. Leaving vendors who agreed to support the technology high and dry by commoditizing it -- in favour of a weaker technology -- while the first generation of supporting displays are still being sold would be very dumb.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
At any point NVidia could opt to support FreeSync and GSync on the same card, since all FreeSync would need is the driver support for it. There's still enough of a technical advantage for GSync that they could do so while continuing to crow about The Way It's Meant To Be Played or whatever. NVidia has a long history of pushing proprietary solutions, though, so as long as they think they can get away with pushing a technology that they can charge for instead of utilizing the zero-cost alternative, expect them to do so. And why wouldn't they, really? People are still buying GSync monitors, after all.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

DrDork posted:

At any point NVidia could opt to support FreeSync and GSync on the same card, since all FreeSync would need is the driver support for it. There's still enough of a technical advantage for GSync that they could do so while continuing to crow about The Way It's Meant To Be Played or whatever. NVidia has a long history of pushing proprietary solutions, though, so as long as they think they can get away with pushing a technology that they can charge for instead of utilizing the zero-cost alternative, expect them to do so. And why wouldn't they, really? People are still buying GSync monitors, after all.

Cheap freesync monitor made me switch to amd after being a long time nvidia user. Though to be fair i am coming from a 550ti to a r9 380x.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, if AMD can be reasonably competitive with NVidia this time around, I think FreeSync vs GSync's cost might sway a good number of people. I know I'm in that camp. The price difference between the Acer X34 and XR341CK (ok, they're not EXACTLY the same other than *Sync, but close) would happily cover the expected loss I'd take swapping from my 980Ti to whatever AMD offers up.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Interesting study. It seems like they didn't test higher frame rates than 75hz, though?
They didn't have to. At 75hz is when they stopped noticing a significant difference in their test results from slower settings which is why the test is relevant. If they'd noticed results kept improving significantly then yeah different story.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There is. The magic phrase to google for is Critical Flicker Fusion rate but you already seem to know it. For humans generally you'll find sources saying 16hz is the minimum needed to give the illusion of movement while 60hz is generally given as the "ideal". Ideal is in scare quotes because what exactly counts as ideal is kind've up for debate as far as I can tell. Obviously higher than 60hz can give some benefit but there is a practical limit where diminishing returns kick in and its just not worth it to go higher. From what I've seen in person, from others comments, and from articles like I've linked it seems safe to say that 120hz+ monitors really aren't offering much if any benefit at all and most everyone would be fine with a monitor that had a refresh rate less than 120hz but significantly faster than 60hz.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Also, I want to say that I read studies related to VR that explained the 90hz these headsets have targeted
I've read that its reduce the risk of nausea but I can't find any solid sources on it. Just industry commentary which is part marketing and part actual facts but which is which?

DrDork posted:

I'd agree with you if there were some other intermediate steps, but other than the Korean overclockers, your options are 60Hz or 144Hz with some very occasional one-offs.
But those Korean monitors are everywhere and aren't at all hard to find. Reading the posts here and elsewhere I wouldn't be shocked if most of the people who are interested own or have owned at this point. They were (still are?) the best value for a very long time. I mean even you seem to be recommending them! If they were hard to get yeah my bringing up the subject would kind've be a pointless quibble.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 25, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I've read that its reduce the risk of nausea but I can't find any solid sources on it. Just industry commentary which is part marketing and part actual facts but which is which?
Considering that the refresh rate directly impacts the cost of the devices as well as the number of PCs that can viably support it, I would fully expect that they'd tend for the lowest rate that still gives a "good" experience. Particularly with 60Hz panels being basically commodity level products these days, having to have special-snowflake panels instead is a big headache that's best avoided unless necessary.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

But those Korean monitors are everywhere and aren't at all hard to find. Reading the posts here and elsewhere I wouldn't be shocked if most of the people who are interested own or have owned at this point. They were (still are?) the best value for a very long time. I mean even you seem to be recommending them! If they were hard to get yeah my bringing up the subject would kind've be a pointless quibble.
True, but they're not exactly the perfect monitor, either: generally no warranty, a crap-tastic stand, and dual-link DVI only, which can be an issue for a lot of people. See: most of the Fury and Fury X cards. The Korean ones are also, AFAIK, the only 27" IPS monitor that sits in the >75 & <144 range. Still, I love mine, and between debezeling and a $20 HP stand it's absolutely fantastic for the price.

All I'm saying is it'd be really nice if they dropped some more 96/120Hz monitors for cheaper than the 144s, and stopped trying to press for 165+ until they can reliably produce the current speced panels.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 25, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

There's pretty solid empirical data on different comfort thresholds for motion-to-photon latency in VR, though I don't know how much of it is published. If they could make as many people as comfortable with 75Hz screens as with 90Hz, both HTC and Oculus would have happily done so, I assure you. I've certainly experienced a difference in comfort on otherwise identical VR hardware and software between 75 and 90.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
So I just searched for an IPS monitor with the range of 60HZ to 75HZ and came up with this Acer which is what I started at looking at but my wife said it is too much. Is it a bad monitor and not worth getting? It has all the bells and whistles we have been talking about it. Otherwise I may be going with one of the ones suggested.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I think I've settled on a Crossover 2795. My video card has a dual link DVI-I port, will that work with the Crossover? It says it only supports DVI-D. I'm using a DVI-D cable in that port right now, so it seems like it would be fine?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

They didn't have to. At 75hz is when they stopped noticing a significant difference in their test results from slower settings which is why the test is relevant. If they'd noticed results kept improving significantly then yeah different story.

Eh? The study mentions that they weren't able to find a hertz fast enough where the participants answers were no better than guessing, because their equipment couldn't go higher than 75hz.

quote:

In the new study, she and her colleagues decided to gradually increase the speeds until they reached a point where subjects’ answers were no better than if they were guessing. All images were new to the viewers.

The researchers expected they might see a dramatic decline in performance around 50 milliseconds, because other studies have suggested that it takes at least 50 milliseconds for visual information to flow from the retina to the “top” of the visual processing chain in the brain and then back down again for further processing by so-called “re-entrant loops.” These processing loops were believed necessary to confirm identification of a particular scene or object.

However, the MIT team found that although overall performance declined, subjects continued to perform better than chance as the researchers dropped the image exposure time from 80 milliseconds to 53 milliseconds, then 40 milliseconds, then 27, and finally 13 — the fastest possible rate with the computer monitor being used.

They were trying to find a threshold where people were unable to perform better than random and they didn't find that threshold underneath 75hz

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I slammed several cups of coffee this morning and read a bit on the topic after having my curiosity piqued by that other article

MAbrash series of posts on the challenges of VR and latency
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/latency-the-sine-qua-non-of-ar-and-vr/
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/why-virtual-isnt-real-to-your-brain-judder/
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/down-the-vr-rabbit-hole-fixing-judder/

Some pretty good discussion in the comments

BBC research on video frame rates from 24-100hz:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP169.pdf

Pretty awesome old Microsoft paper describing a number of topics related to refresh rates and perception. One thing I found interesting was how 60hz became the standard sort of similar to how QWERTY did
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn642112(v=vs.85).aspx

None of this conclusively demonstrates that 144hz is desirable or anything, but thought it was interesting to learn more in general

E: more recent BBC research article:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP282.pdf

Still reading this one. Cites a few related studies

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 25, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RVT posted:

I think I've settled on a Crossover 2795. My video card has a dual link DVI-I port, will that work with the Crossover? It says it only supports DVI-D. I'm using a DVI-D cable in that port right now, so it seems like it would be fine?

Check your card for the dual link DVI pictured in this wikipedia article. It's probably the right connector, -I seems to just include the analog pins which the crossover won't be using so it doesn't matter if they're on there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Could anyone with a curved monitor mind commenting on if it is good, bad, neither, or a gimmick, please? For doing regular PC things like reading, browsing, and playing games. Thank you.

Node fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 25, 2016