Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This interior is making my loins tingle. My second car was an '84 528e and I loved it to its literal death. I want to make poor financial decisions.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2799855

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This interior is making my loins tingle. My second car was an '84 528e and I loved it to its literal death. I want to make poor financial decisions.

If you dont those guys who hoard all bmws and sell them for jacked up prices will.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Basketweaves look better imo, that ad gives me motivation to really detail the poo poo out mine, and put the front spoiler back on

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

rscott posted:

Basketweaves look better imo, that ad gives me motivation to really detail the poo poo out mine, and put the front spoiler back on

You have my old car. Does it also have blue interior?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It has a tan interior, and sadly is automatic, but I paid enough less for it that I could 5 speed swap it and still pay less than what that guy is asking

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

drat that thing is clean.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm surprised I've never seen that around town. There's no way I would have missed it, and bountiful is a pretty small place.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fknlo posted:

drat that thing is clean.

I mean look at those carpets. 175K miles, in a place where it snows? How do you even do that?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Bacon Hat posted:

ill look into it. thanks, too

i think the radio is probably hosed. what fits in there that isnt too flashy and lets you aux in somehow?

Its standard DIN, just get whatever stereo floats your boat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384521

Too bad he's only selling to locals. I'd be hopping a plane this week.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'm surprised I've never seen that around town. There's no way I would have missed it, and bountiful is a pretty small place.

There is a dearth of older 5 series here in the state. I'm in the southern part of salt lake county. It seems the BMW crowd trends toward the 3 series here.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384521
Too bad he's only selling to locals. I'd be hopping a plane this week.
Why the hell would he only sell to local. Just say he doesn't want to deal with shipping and let people fly-n-drive. Have you messaged him that you'd be flying up and driving it back?

Think I was just given a e28 535is rolling chassis, time to make that pickup truck I've been wanting to do for years. Engine/transmission will be junkyard sourced M50 or V8?

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 26, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, he didn't reply. I do this poo poo all the time but I guess I can understand because most people flake that want to do it.

You're doing a build thread, right? RIGHT??

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I suppose, I've had a few people be generally surprised when I showed up after telling them I had booked flights and would be there at a given time.

Will be doing a cumulative project thread most likely. I have so many random projects at any given time plus maintenance on things I could probably keep a thread going. Heading to look at it after work before I say 'yes, drop it off in the driveway' Realized I know the owner, the car and it's history...nope. Probably still do a thread once the 'real' project arrives.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 26, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ordered an intake boot. Should be here today. loving misfires.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Welp, just about a year later and still no resolution to this yet. What a clusterfuck.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
All the best BMWs came without airbags anyways :colbert:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
So how much of a terrible idea is this E34 535i? Bear in mind manuals pretty much don't exist in Straya so there's not a lot of point holding out for one of those. I'm happy to do basic maintenance on the car myself, I have no skill but can follow internet instructions and am happy to acquire tools.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/BMW-535i-1990/SSE-AD-3632282/?Cr=2

I want something that is going to be a decent long distance cruiser for road trips, fairly reliable as a daily and not a boring Corolla. I understand a 26 year old luxury car is probably not going to be metronomic and when things go wrong they may be expensive.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Guinness posted:

Welp, just about a year later and still no resolution to this yet. What a clusterfuck.

Yyyup, when I got the first one I figured well obviously the other airbag has the same problem, how long will it take? I'll just get them both done at the same time :sigh:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Guinness posted:

What happens if you call them and have a panic attack about your fictional spouse or new driver teenage child dying in a car crash by the very thing meant to save their life? What are they doing if your airbag light comes on these days? Seems like crazy town. Honda was able to do both sides almost immediately for us due to my wife's concern over both of them being faulty even though only the driver side was recalled.

Got my car back from the shop yesterday. New Zimmerman rotors, Hawk pads, ECS braided steel lines, and high temp fluid. This is my first foray beyond OEM parts, hopefully it helps me not cook my brakes. I am excited to try them out in a few months. The car was so dirty from recent ultra polleny/smoggy rain I even washed it myself for the first time in 6 years of ownership. What idiot buys a black car?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Infinotize posted:

Yyyup, when I got the first one I figured well obviously the other airbag has the same problem, how long will it take? I'll just get them both done at the same time :sigh:

:same:

Almost 1 year of ownership of my DD e46, still loving it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I at least got the passenger side done more or less right away after they sent me the notice, since that one they had parts ready to go for. Wasn't until a couple months later they recalled the driver side, too, but (still) have no parts for.

H110Hawk posted:

What happens if you call them and have a panic attack about your fictional spouse or new driver teenage child dying in a car crash by the very thing meant to save their life? What are they doing if your airbag light comes on these days? Seems like crazy town. Honda was able to do both sides almost immediately for us due to my wife's concern over both of them being faulty even though only the driver side was recalled.

I've heard anecdotally that if you raise a huge stink about it, technically they do have to provide a rental car until a fix is available. But if you go down that road you have to document and prove that you are not driving the vehicle at all. Plus you'd be driving some lovely econobox rentals while your BMW sits mothballed...

quote:

What idiot buys a black car?

This idiot, but on the used market it's hard to be too picky when the otherwise perfect car comes along. I really really wanted that dark blue that was offered the last couple years of E46s but talk about a hard to find color. And even rarer with a manual.

Not that a dark blue would ever look much cleaner than jet black, though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Guinness posted:

This idiot

:hfive: idiot buddy

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

H110Hawk posted:

What idiot buys a black car?

It's not that bad.. :smithicide: (I'll probably buy more black cars)

Though, a grey / non metallic silver car is the worst in my opinion. Sure it doesn't get "dirty", but it never looks good neither. Just boring.

My absolute favorite colour on cars in general is a nice deep blue, but that's a rare colour in Sweden. Most swedes seem to love their silver / gray cars. Red can be very nice as well, but it has to fit the car (and apparently not be too red, because my GF says it's too "prostitute-ish" :psyduck:)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm thinking about checking old some local older bimmers this weekend, can I get the goon consensus on these? TIA

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5556690513.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5552191180.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5495735779.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
e30 cabrios are pretty janky

#2 looks ok? might be worth a test drive

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The vert is also a regular i which isn't as fun. The 320i and the 325is would be worth looking at. There isn't as much aftermarket support for the e21 but they are super simple. Driving e30 is probably a little bit better being more neutral and less tail happy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That seems like a reasonable price for a big bumper 325is although I'd be worried about PO fuckery with the stereo system given that interior photo

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

slothrop posted:

So how much of a terrible idea is this E34 535i? Bear in mind manuals pretty much don't exist in Straya so there's not a lot of point holding out for one of those. I'm happy to do basic maintenance on the car myself, I have no skill but can follow internet instructions and am happy to acquire tools.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/BMW-535i-1990/SSE-AD-3632282/?Cr=2

I want something that is going to be a decent long distance cruiser for road trips, fairly reliable as a daily and not a boring Corolla. I understand a 26 year old luxury car is probably not going to be metronomic and when things go wrong they may be expensive.

I would see if you can find a late model manual 525i, they made them until 95. That said, not a terrible idea. The automatic transmission in the 525i is pretty poor but otherwise either the M50 or M30 are going to be pretty stout engines. Make sure the entire cooling system is new or budget to replace it. ($400-500~)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll check out the 325is first. It's the closest, anyway.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

rscott posted:

That seems like a reasonable price for a big bumper 325is although I'd be worried about PO fuckery with the stereo system given that interior photo

:agreed: on the price of the is but the stereo install is the secondary concern over getting shot in Cleveland or Pittsburgh from a craigslist meet. These cars are three decades old and you've gotta have reasonable expectations with given price points by now.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:agreed: on the price of the is but the stereo install is the secondary concern over getting shot in Cleveland or Pittsburgh from a craigslist meet. These cars are three decades old and you've gotta have reasonable expectations with given price points by now.

The stock system had the amp in the trunk and all the speaker wire running to that amp. The wires going from the head unit to the amp are useless unless you're using the stock HU. I had to basically make an entire new harness to get my e30 to work with a modern stereo, and there's ample opportunity to gently caress with the power antenna and the check system if you cut the wrong set of wires. Stock speakers still sounded really good after 27 years though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5558450277.html

I'm tempted to go see how bad this is. The head work scares me.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
That thing looks pretty rough. Could be fun as hell, though.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Paint looks bad even in low quality pics, so it's probably gonna look awful in person. Also, trade for civic or integra is the biggest red flag :v:

Kinda surprised it has A/C with an M5x swap though, most people don't bother because of needing to mess with the lines. My guess is he didn't build it.

simble
May 11, 2004

It's Arizona. No one would buy it without.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

Paint looks bad even in low quality pics, so it's probably gonna look awful in person. Also, trade for civic or integra is the biggest red flag :v:

Kinda surprised it has A/C with an M5x swap though, most people don't bother because of needing to mess with the lines. My guess is he didn't build it.

The AC thing is why I was actually curious about the car. Someone put care into it at some point.
I'm also assuming he didn't build it and the missing PS is from him. It mentions a valve in the headwork... so if it was an overrev I wouldn't touch the car with a ten foot pole. Motor is a ticking time bomb in terms of the bottom end, if that's the case.

I sent a few questions back to him, along with requesting non-potato pictures.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

ultrabay2000 posted:

I would see if you can find a late model manual 525i, they made them until 95. That said, not a terrible idea. The automatic transmission in the 525i is pretty poor but otherwise either the M50 or M30 are going to be pretty stout engines. Make sure the entire cooling system is new or budget to replace it. ($400-500~)

Cool, thanks for the advice. The bloke is offering to deliver it up to a couple of hours drive away which to me is a good sign it runs ok, at least at the moment. How much of a hassle is the cooling system likely to be? I'm happy to do the work myself if its not nightmarishly difficult, if it requires a trip to the mechanic I'll probably look elsewhere.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

slothrop posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice. The bloke is offering to deliver it up to a couple of hours drive away which to me is a good sign it runs ok, at least at the moment. How much of a hassle is the cooling system likely to be? I'm happy to do the work myself if its not nightmarishly difficult, if it requires a trip to the mechanic I'll probably look elsewhere.

It's definitely something you can DIY in an afternoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only special tools should be a water pump pulley holder (Napa sells a suitable one for $20) and a thin 32mm (?) wrench. I forget the exact size because I have a crescent that fits in there.

Set aside a full day for it as bleeding may take longer than expected. bmw blocks are special snowflakes and you have to burp them like a cranky baby until they are happy