Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Good post :toot:

Since it was brought up, The River of Souls has a bit of an oddity in it. In the last level Adon brings up that the first mission objective you do would purify the River of Souls. I had always read on the internet that if you went back to level 2 after you did that objective then it would actually be purified and you were able to swim around in it to find cool stuff.

But of course that's not the reality, you never do get to see a purified river, although with a name like The River of Souls you woulden't expect it to be clean anyway would you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm still upset that Acclaim went bankrupt. Sure, a lot of mid-sized video game companies bit the dust (or were bought out) in the past decade, when a few big developers have solidified their hold on the rest of the big-name video game industry, but Acclaim's hurts more than most. Ditto Midway... now NBA Jam and NHL Hitz are owned by EA, and they'd rather make sports simulators than sports games where you can do fun stuff.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Good post :toot:

Since it was brought up, The River of Souls has a bit of an oddity in it. In the last level Adon brings up that the first mission objective you do would purify the River of Souls. I had always read on the internet that if you went back to level 2 after you did that objective then it would actually be purified and you were able to swim around in it to find cool stuff.

But of course that's not the reality, you never do get to see a purified river, although with a name like The River of Souls you woulden't expect it to be clean anyway would you?

I suspect that if Acclaim/Iguana had more time/space, it would've been. In fact, they might've even put a Key somewhere that you needed the river purified in order to get to.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I will reiterate, gently caress the river of souls.:argh:

Also thanks operative lm that is some awesome stuff

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

I will reiterate, gently caress the river of souls.:argh:

Also thanks operative lm that is some awesome stuff

Yeah... yeah... River of Souls can be a royal pain in the rear end. Still better than Area 4. TIght winding passages that all look the same and are incredibly easy to get lost and turned around in? :shepicide:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Y-Hat posted:

NBA Jam and NHL Hitz are owned by EA, and they'd rather make sports simulators than sports games where you can do fun stuff.
They can't make good simulators either (at least hockey ones, which would be the ones I care about). RIP 2K Sports :saddowns:

edit: okay 2K Sports isn't dead and they're still doing their NBA games and WWE stuff, but no more NHL 2K

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 26, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Yeah... yeah... River of Souls can be a royal pain in the rear end. Still better than Area 4. TIght winding passages that all look the same and are incredibly easy to get lost and turned around in? :shepicide:

I went an hour and a half before I got to a 3rd save point, I hope I didn't walk past one. probably gonna bring in a guest/guests.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

They can't make good simulators either (at least hockey ones, which would be the ones I care about). RIP 2K Sports :saddowns:

edit: okay 2K Sports isn't dead and they're still doing their NBA games and WWE stuff, but no more NHL 2K
Sports simulator games have fallen dramatically in quality since EA got the exclusive rights to make NFL and NHL games. It's almost like competition drives creativity.

I read that "Breaking Madden" series on SB Nation where they created a team that consisted completely of quarterbacks. Because you can't turn off their stupid rules and have fun with Madden, the amount of hoops they had to jump through in order to achieve this was mind-boggling.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

I went an hour and a half before I got to a 3rd save point, I hope I didn't walk past one. probably gonna bring in a guest/guests.

Sounds about right. And I cannot blame you for wanting to bring in guests. Finding stuff to talk about might be hard.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Let's get this party started.

Episode 05 - Storming the Gates

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Run, puny Sauroids! Run before the might of the Gun Walker!

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
A shame the segment is so short. I wish the three sisters were explained better. Or the gates of hell.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah it came off a bit awkward that they just told us to kill the sisters without going into any detail at all. At least the tri-tank is awesome while it lasts, but it'd be a shame for that to not show up again.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I found the dinosaur gunner too slow and awkard to use. The path gives you plenty of ammo if you want to go on foot, especially if you decide to do level 2 after level 3. The weapons in level 3 makes taking out the turrets and mortars easier.

River of Souls is my favorite level in the game. It's long but there's a vareity of places you go and the objectives aren't too difficult to find. I found the level quality of the game to significantly drop after the first two stages, though you'll get sick of Entrails and Raptoids about half way though.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
River of Souls for music superiority. :colbert:

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Yeah it came off a bit awkward that they just told us to kill the sisters without going into any detail at all. At least the tri-tank is awesome while it lasts, but it'd be a shame for that to not show up again.

I think the River of Souls could've had more explanation. Like, you're set up with this story of a city that flourished around the Energy Totem, then the Dinozoid army rushes in and slaughters a weakened military. However your missions are about the undead. Wat? :psyduck:

Also, Aidon's line about the Sisters of Despair so awkward because every other time she gives you a mission objective, she actually talks about it a little, so you're waiting for the explanation, then you just get 'Locate the energy totem, and defend it at all costs.'

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Y-Hat posted:

Sports simulator games have fallen dramatically in quality since EA got the exclusive rights to make NFL and NHL games. It's almost like competition drives creativity.

I read that "Breaking Madden" series on SB Nation where they created a team that consisted completely of quarterbacks. Because you can't turn off their stupid rules and have fun with Madden, the amount of hoops they had to jump through in order to achieve this was mind-boggling.

On that note, Jon Bois is probably the best thing about SBNation and he's not even technically a sports writer.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That dinosaur tank looks like something that Calvin would have come up with.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I think the River of Souls could've had more explanation. Like, you're set up with this story of a city that flourished around the Energy Totem, then the Dinozoid army rushes in and slaughters a weakened military. However your missions are about the undead. Wat? :psyduck:

Also, Aidon's line about the Sisters of Despair so awkward because every other time she gives you a mission objective, she actually talks about it a little, so you're waiting for the explanation, then you just get 'Locate the energy totem, and defend it at all costs.'

Yeah I really don't get where the undead thing came from. I looked for and sort of context and came up empty handed, for the most part. There is something that would make a crossover in the comics that wouldn't really exist in the games. and that may be what it was based on. I'll explain my thoughts on that when I get to some undead though. That or there's something personal between Adon and the sisters.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

Yeah I really don't get where the undead thing came from. I looked for and sort of context and came up empty handed, for the most part. There is something that would make a crossover in the comics that wouldn't really exist in the games. and that may be what it was based on. I'll explain my thoughts on that when I get to some undead though. That or there's something personal between Adon and the sisters.

Given how the Sisters look kinda like Adon, that would actually be something interesting. Overall though, the level is neat enough, though I think by the time you're moving onto Level 3 you're sick of Human-based terrain.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

My best guess being that the Dinosoids set up the portals in some way? Or maybe the Primagen did so that his undead army would burst out of the city and take over the world? As the game goes on it seems like the dude has 6 different plans to take over the different worlds you go to so "summoning zombies by the water that literally causes death if drunk" seems like an okay idea to me.

Or maybe the developers just wanted you to fight zombies in one mission because it'd be cool.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 06 - The River

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Knowing now that the game was suppose to originally suppose to be 8 levels, having what i think i remember to be the grenade launcher just kinda floating out over there taunting you to come back when you've made the river not poisonous to go get it is really just a dick move.

More of a dick move than that little cavern full of power ups in the second level of Turok 2

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Knowing now that the game was suppose to originally suppose to be 8 levels, having what i think i remember to be the grenade launcher just kinda floating out over there taunting you to come back when you've made the river not poisonous to go get it is really just a dick move.

More of a dick move than that little cavern full of power ups in the second level of Turok 2

The mandatory backtracking in the game in general is a big issue, since it conflicts with some of the core gameplay ideas.

They wanted these big, sprawling levels for the player to explore every nook and cranny. This is cool, this is good. But, the levels are so big that when it comes time to revisit them for a single item, such as a key/talisman/etc, its a giant chore to slog through the level again, get to the point where you pick up the item, then slog all the way through the rest of the level. IIRC, the game throws you a bone and keeps the puzzles solved, but it's still a lot of level to go back through for one, maybe two items needed to complete the game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SkyTalon2314 posted:

They wanted these big, sprawling levels for the player to explore every nook and cranny.
That's a late-era N64 game for you. DK64 and Banjo-Tooie were the same way.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Not ashamed to say I took DK64 to completion.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A lot of people did (myself included), they just don't want to admit it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

PSWII60 posted:

Don't worry, I not only did it, but I did it more than once. I have enough shame for both of us.
I might have a problem, those n64 games just had so many shiny things to collect and the numbers needed to be maxed out.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Y-Hat posted:

That's a late-era N64 game for you. DK64 and Banjo-Tooie were the same way.

At least Tooie wasn't as horrible a collectathon as DK64 was. Jiggies, Jinjos and to a lesser extent, honeycomb pieces. Whereas DK64 was closer to: "Here, collect all these balloons and banans and coins and poo poo. Okay, now do that 5 more times. Per level."

PSWII60 posted:

You poor tortured soul.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 07 - Beheadded

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Rename the game Turok: Head Hunter.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Interesting to know that Turok and Shadowman share the same universe! I wonder if Joshua ever went to Louisana and hung out with Michael LeRoi, or at least used his cab at some point.

I know in my head they did :allears:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find out that there was a crossover in the comics, but the little blurb about how the deadkin came from deadside is the only thing that the game references. It's probably not something anybody would catch unless they have read some of the comics or played both games. Are the Shadow Man comics any good? I'll add them into the comic rotation that I'll get to in a couple years.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

No idea but the game is pretty fantastic, it kinda suffers the same thing as Turok does where it can be easy to get lost in the sprawling levels and it cries out for a second analog stick for camera control.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Went to buy Shadowman on steam since it's 5 bucks. Apparently I own it already? I need to keep track of my steam list.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I know I said this before, but the amount of gore in Turok 2 is comical. I miss those days of video games, even though I wasn't allowed to play bloody games as a kid (except, as I said in my first post, the Turok series. Never played 2, though).

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The weapon you saw at 18:33, if you jump just right you can actually pick it up from below. The hitbox for weapons and powerups are pretty generous.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 08 - The First Graveyard

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"The smallest spiders are the smallest?" You don't say. :v:

Why were you more gung-ho in this video? You fought more conservatively before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not to talk too much about a game you're not playing but I honestly can't wait for Turok 2 Remastered to come out because just the first one with mouse control was so much more ridiculously fun and I never knew there was a PC release back in the day. As much as I loved Turok 2 I don't think I could come back to it today.

• Locked thread