Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

armchairyoda posted:

Teamkill/damage timer is bullshit, fyi.

Yesterday a teammate cheetah kept shooting me with small lasers while running from spawn. Eventually I got fed up and blasted him in the face with SRM24. Didn't get a timer for that, so their must be a decent damage threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I guess that I should reiterate that 4v4 is a really fun game mode. You can get a lot of games in a short amount of time and its almost always a brawl. No peeking and getting cored by 12 mechs. It should have been this way but yeah :pgi:

Also, 4 goons not pubbies starlords.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best use for "scouts" (apart from spamming the targeting button as much as possible) is to flank/circle around and shoot people in the butts while the rest of the team shoots them from the front.

You can break an entire firing line simply by shooting a couple assaults in the anus and hiding while they turn around (conveniently turning their back on your team's heavier mechs).

Alternatively, get an Arctic Cheetah with 2 large lasers and just be annoying all match while ignoring the objectives completely.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 24, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

DancingShade posted:

The best use for "scouts" (apart from spamming the targeting button as much as possible) is to flank/circle around and shoot people in the butts while the rest of the team shoots them from the front.

You can break an entire firing line simply by shooting a couple assaults in the anus and hiding while they turn around (conveniently turning their back on your team's heavier mechs).

So, so true. This is where lights can really punch way above their weight. Just make sure you time things so you go in while the enemy team is occupied fighting the main force. If you come in too early, everyone on the enemy team will be idling around looking for something to shoot at, and that thing will become you.

If you get a couple lights coordinated on shooting butts, you can kill heavies before they can turn around.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TeeMerk posted:

I guess that I should reiterate that 4v4 is a really fun game mode. You can get a lot of games in a short amount of time and its almost always a brawl. No peeking and getting cored by 12 mechs. It should have been this way but yeah :pgi:

Also, 4 goons not pubbies starlords.

everyone should be playing scouting

me and teemerk and commoners and yoda spent a couple hours wrecking the clans

two standout games:

1. we all went with the trial commandos on a defense map and distracted the enemy so hard that they forgot to go to the dropship and lost. they were very mad

2. we ran four centurions (two Shotgun Hobos, an AC/20 Wang, and a missile/MG Cent) against two stormcrows, a HBKIIC, and a shadow cat. it ended with the last stormcrow overheating and my one-legged shotgun centurion blasting it to death right before it woke up and took my other leg

10/10 would drop again

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

taqueso posted:

So, so true. This is where lights can really punch way above their weight. Just make sure you time things so you go in while the enemy team is occupied fighting the main force. If you come in too early, everyone on the enemy team will be idling around looking for something to shoot at, and that thing will become you.

If you get a couple lights coordinated on shooting butts, you can kill heavies before they can turn around.

My favorite light tactic is running around with my head cutoff while shooting butts and getting people to shoot each other.

In the trial locust at the moment it's pretty fun!

Pondering snagging the viper pack for all of the goodies and a fast jumpy mech.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

taqueso posted:

Yesterday a teammate cheetah kept shooting me with small lasers while running from spawn. Eventually I got fed up and blasted him in the face with SRM24. Didn't get a timer for that, so their must be a decent damage threshold.

The threshold is ~100 damage, but I am unsure if other people shooting each other in the same match changes it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Pondering snagging the viper pack for all of the goodies and a fast jumpy mech.

The viper is going to be TERRIBLE. All those jumpjets are fixed which means you are going to have fewer weapons than mechs 10 tons lighter. There is no need in this game for insane jump distances like that either.

If you want to be an rear end in a top hat jumping in a fast mech doing little else, buy a spider and get it out of your system with cbills.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'm more wanting it for everything that isn't the mechs.

Can't get a Spider because I'm out of mechbays.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

taqueso posted:

Oh no, I got Commoners in his face because I was jumpy after not playing and forgetting how terrible MG's really are in MWO.

The timer is just set too long. I'd be fine with it at 5min cause that's a good little refil-the-drink break. But I have been in less matches where somebody didn't get tk'd. Goons are bad, pubbies are worse!

Perhaps as legit accidents.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If the person that got shot could forgive the shooter, that would fix most of it.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Thanks to whoever recommended the SRM Catapult, it's fun as hell and quite strong.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I started playing again since it's getting close to BEAR DAD release, and I saw they had added more stuff to CW. Is it worth doing now/are goon groups doing it/etc? I don't really have proper CW skill maxing and loadouts for either faction, although I guess that would matter less if I did scout games. I bet a Streakcrow is stupid in a 4v4 match where nobody could have a weight advantage on you. Or a Hunchie.

Also I apparently played enough games consistently over the last two days to creep from Tier 4 wonder land into Tier 3. It's still poo poo tier, but it's amazing to see it is a different KIND of poo poo. In Tier 4, any and every mech would make a straight run on my brawly Atlas. Light mech? Sure, run right at an AC20 and a bunch of SRM6s! Sniper heavy? Well I could shoot the Atlas from this hill, or I could run at him! I guess they're used to fighting those pubby assaults we see where it's an Atlas with a medium laser and an LRM5 or something, and then they're surprised when they get erased. That mech is loving brutal. I can't wait to see what kind of stuff I can put on a Kodiak. Especially the variant that has MASC. :getin:

Tier 3 though seems to be all playing hide and go seek. Tier 4, we won a ton of games in a row because I just announced what map column I was going down and to follow Atlas for free money! We had a little school of piranhas. T3, everybody is a tactical genius and we're going to hold this one valley away from all the capture points because if they walk around that corner 1 at a time, they're soooo dead!

Plus I see people still vote for Bog all the drat time. :saddowns:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Zaodai posted:

Plus I see people still vote for Bog all the drat time. :saddowns:

Everyone votes Polar Highlands when I'm running my brawlmech :argh:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mornacale posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended the SRM Catapult, it's fun as hell and quite strong.

SHPLATCAT BESHT CAT

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

The viper is going to be TERRIBLE. All those jumpjets are fixed which means you are going to have fewer weapons than mechs 10 tons lighter. There is no need in this game for insane jump distances like that either.

If you want to be an rear end in a top hat jumping in a fast mech doing little else, buy a spider and get it out of your system with cbills.

This.

I'm thinking anyone who wants a lightish clan medium with jump jets should just get a shadow cat. Bonus: it's already out and also has ECM.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zaodai posted:

I started playing again since it's getting close to BEAR DAD release, and I saw they had added more stuff to CW. Is it worth doing now/are goon groups doing it/etc? I don't really have proper CW skill maxing and loadouts for either faction, although I guess that would matter less if I did scout games. I bet a Streakcrow is stupid in a 4v4 match where nobody could have a weight advantage on you. Or a Hunchie.

I think the Streakcrow is kind of a trap in scouting. If the IS team brings Griffins and Blackjacks (or even other mediums) the Streakcrow's inability to concentrate damage is a huge liability

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Everyone votes Polar Highlands when I'm running my brawlmech :argh:

Brawl mechs can do just fine on Polar Highlands, it just requires you to think about the where and how to do it.

Atlas' just have it bad-ish because they're on the taller side of things.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

SHPLATCAT BESHT CAT

I always get confused when somebody mentions a 'CAT. Like, what do you mean A Catapult or a Shadow Cat?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I always get confused when somebody mentions a 'CAT. Like, what do you mean A Catapult or a Shadow Cat?

Timberwolf actually... Cause they're called Mad Cats too you see.

Splatcat is a Catapult, always.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Stringbean posted:

Timberwolf actually... Cause they're called Mad Cats too you see.

Splatcat is a Catapult, always.

Why not Splat-Pult?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Catapult predates Shadow Cats and Timberwolves.

Splatcat is also catchier than Splatapult.

Stringbean posted:

Brawl mechs can do just fine on Polar Highlands, it just requires you to think about the where and how to do it.

Atlas' just have it bad-ish because they're on the taller side of things.

It doesn't help that I usually have to lead any brawl charges on my team for them to happen on that map or else end up at the receiving end of them.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Catapult predates Shadow Cats and Timberwolves.

Splatcat is also catchier than Splatapult.

It doesn't help that I usually have to lead any brawl charges on my team for them to happen on that map or else end up at the receiving end of them.

You could just do what every other Atlas I've seen lately do. LRM...

gently caress I just threw up in my mouth..

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Will never top the dual PPC atlas I saw recently. So bad.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

My premier brawling mech is a 'Splatcat' Timberwolf of the 4xSRM6+A 4xSPL variety.

The only other brawling mech I have is the legacy centurion I can't get rid of :v:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 24, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I hate the Centurion. It just seems so drat wide and lame.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Stringbean posted:

I hate the Centurion. It just seems so drat wide and lame.

You take this back, you take this back right now!

Put 3 a srm6 in and 3 mg in the arms for fun, never stop twisting and hold down the mgs to spray everyone while you twist even your friends.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm more wanting it for everything that isn't the mechs.

Can't get a Spider because I'm out of mechbays.

So just by some MC and buy mech bays. There are WAY cheaper ways to get 3 mechbays than buying a lovely package with garbage mechs.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

tarbrush posted:

Will never top the dual PPC atlas I saw recently. So bad.

I recently had the pleasure of playing with one that had both PPCs AND LRMs. And one medium laser iirc.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
When the gently caress did they reduce the catapult's torso pitch to basically nothing? I remember the k2 being bad, but now even my lovely founder's cat is useless because I cannot aim up or down at all. Seriously cannot hit anything on an incline, what is this poo poo?

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Cw if anyone is interested in getting a mech bay

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I could use an invite to WoL then (since Girl is apparently broke.)

In game name is Colonel Yar.

Working on the cbills to pay back for an invite at the moment.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 25, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Confirming scouting as being real fun after spending the weekend doing it a couple hours here, couple hours there with goons. Even when my mechbays are filled with stuff that aren't really minmaxed for scouting.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Weren't they working on "fixing" Bog to not be such a terribly made shithole like a year ago? You still can't walk through tree roots and half the time I inexplicably can't walk up the staircases. gently caress that map, and Canyon. The maps where they try and get creative with their line of sight restrictions by making super quick elevation changes are all poo poo. And yet random pubbies love the drat things.

Jesus.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Zaodai posted:

Weren't they working on "fixing" Bog to not be such a terribly made shithole like a year ago? You still can't walk through tree roots and half the time I inexplicably can't walk up the staircases. gently caress that map, and Canyon. The maps where they try and get creative with their line of sight restrictions by making super quick elevation changes are all poo poo. And yet random pubbies love the drat things.

Jesus.

The reason you sometimes can't get up the stairs is that some steps are bigger than others so you have to chose a different step.

Bog is life.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Bog is much easier to navigate than it used to be, especially for assualts. A lot of the points where you could get easily stuck can be traversed without issue. The steps are still garbage, but you generally don't take assaults up there anyway.

Also it's fun to see which trees you can knock limbs off of, since sometimes pubbies, being the magical creatures they are, will just stand there and watch you, even at tier 2.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Bog and canyon are both great. jjs are a significant investment in sanity on both though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bog is great for keeping down the LRM spam you get on a lot of other levels, but that's about the only upside to it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

armchairyoda posted:

Teamkill/damage timer is bullshit, fyi.

I can't shoot my friends when I'm bored at the end of a match anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

We should probably cull the people who don't play ever