Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I AM BRAWW posted:

if u aren't petty enough to wait right here and invade in this area to make use of dragonkeeper npcs/havel spawn, don't talk to me about dark souls invasions

This reminds me of my favorite invasion story in DS3. I had just beaten the Wyvern, which in turn made me Embered and teleported me to that place. Before I could walk the 2 meters over to the bonfire, someone had invaded me.

I peek into that room to take a look, dude comes charging out and kicks me off the cliffside along with all the souls I got from the Wyvern. :darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BillmasterCozb posted:

I have killed all the mimics, and I have no symbol of avarice. This is the second time it's happened.

Ugh, that sucks. I felt kind of guilty when I got it after killing the one in the cathedral (I threw a Loyd's at it, looted, then decided gently caress it kill it anyways).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jesus christ these Pontiffs and fire Bishop dudes are loving MY poo poo IN!

Dang.

[ed] seriously, is there some secret to this section? I'm in Irythill and the fire priests and the sword acrobatic Pontiff dudes just murder me constantly. I have already lost like 100k Souls (in different 10k increments) just trying to get past them. They just hit so loving hard. (mostly the Pontiffs)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 25, 2016

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Abyss Watchers down! That was such a cool fight :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For some reason, being hollow causes my character's tattoo to engulf his eyes.

Weird.

Feenix posted:

Dang.

[ed] seriously, is there some secret to this section? I'm in Irythill and the fire priests and the sword acrobatic Pontiff dudes just murder me constantly. I have already lost like 100k Souls (in different 10k increments) just trying to get past them. They just hit so loving hard. (mostly the Pontiffs)

Chain stun the pontiff knights so they don't get a chance to do anything. If you need an opening wait for them to barf darkness at you from afar, its a super long move you can easily punish.

But really the key to that area is to be patient and engage enemies in small groups. The pontiff knights are way more manageable when you fight them 1 on 1. Be aware that the shielded ones are way less aggressive than their counterparts. As for the fire witches, take out their followers before going on them. Its not hard to just keep dodging the flames but if you ignore the chaff and charge the witch, you risk getting stabbed in the face.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 25, 2016

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Internet Kraken posted:

For some reason, being hollow causes my character's tattoo to engulf his eyes.

Weird.

I'm sorry about your broken finger

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://fat.gfycat.com/UnlawfulDeadlyKingbird.webm

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The lizard really got a kick outta that one.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just beat my first boss in my first Dark Souls game ever and I get it, hot drat. GOAT status game.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fereydun posted:

great heavy magic missile on phase one
crystal soul spear on phase two because it pierces + you have less openings to cast

always keep as much distance as possible because it opens up the three big lovely attacks that have a lot of recovery, letting you get in casts. don't ever cast when he does the basic swings, even though the pattern is usually 2 swings->teleport swing he can mix it up and do more teleports after the teleport swing. wait for him to do big attacks that you know you can reliably cast on.

don't bother with health flasks you die in one/two hits anyways so pack like a 6/8 distribution so you can blast off soul spears as much as possible because boy howdy youre gonna need a lot

if your lockon doesn't work during the vulnerable bit in phase 2 dumbfire them or keep a moonlight greatsword on hand to go ham with (phase 2 is braindead simple in melee if you consider this option)

edit:
don't use soul stream the cast time is so long even with max cast speed that you can be punished for casting it vs. a big attack as early as possible because he will teleport slash you.

really i'd just recommend using the MLGS here in phase 2 because melee is so easy in this fight vs. magic

Thanks. I'd have to respec or gain like 15 levels to use the MLFG. I didn't think of going ash estus heavy and using Spear instead of GHSA, I think I got SS to hit both during the resurrect once though. I guess I just have to git guder.

edit: the most annoying thing besides the scrawny little things health total is rolling away from an attack right into the end of that attack after a teleport.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 25, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like kicking the one by a ladder near the last bonfire because watching it roll backwards off the cliff is funny to me for some reason

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Angels: leaving crap-encrusted presents all over your prince's bedroom.
Also that rug texture teleported me back to PSX era when I looked at it, cool easter egg.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any tips on how to avoid the king of storm's fire from above attack?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Don't stand underneath and it won't do it. Otherwise you just need to be far enough and roll away.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've heard that just rolling once as it hits will let you avoid it because it only hits one time (when it lands). alternatively, just run away when you see it near you in the air

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I've been playing this for like a hundred hours or so it's great

Really wish I could make my Sacred Flame/Chaos Bed Vestiges Punchomancer work, but the Demon Fist is the coolest weapon that loving sucks in PvP, utter garbage :/

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

God. drat.

Stomp is the funnest weapon skill.

In a way I hope I'm wrong and they only get funner.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

I love the pan to the other one. "You're next."

Feenix posted:

Dang.

Grab a buckler and learn to parry. It's an incredibly useful skill, especially in the next section as well.

Kurtofan posted:

Stand by the head, not by the feet. All his moves are incredibly telegraphed, including the fire from above, you do like 5 or 6 times as much damage hitting head/neck, and it eliminates almost all the camera problems, except for misjudging how far away the neck is.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mazerunner posted:

Grab a buckler and learn to parry. It's an incredibly useful skill, especially in the next section as well.

I can't parry to save my life in this game. In DS1 and Bloodborne i'm great at it, but the other three games it's not even worth my time to try.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mazed posted:

God. drat.

Stomp is the funnest weapon skill.

In a way I hope I'm wrong and they only get funner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UQtBMKCipk

Go back to Demons souls and have something even better.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Do the vendors ever restock? I'm really early in the game and already worried about running out of arrows.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpurtahtnu0

This isn't even my video but it needs to be shared.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the single reason to cast a sorcery in DS3.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

I can't parry to save my life in this game. In DS1 and Bloodborne i'm great at it, but the other three games it's not even worth my time to try.

I mean if you could could parry black/silver k***hts in DS1, you can probably parry them now.

And if you can parry them, you can probably parry the pontiff knights, and so on. Having a buckler or other small shield makes it very easy, though.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Dang.

Body pull them apart. Charge and attack when they're alone, nothing fancy because you can just stunlock them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The wind-up before the parry starts adds an annoying element that imo makes parrying not really worth trying. It's not like Bloodborne where loving up a parry because of the wind-up doesn't have much of a consequence, screwing up a parry in DS3 will almost certainly mean death against tougher enemies.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Savings Coupon posted:

Do the vendors ever restock? I'm really early in the game and already worried about running out of arrows.

They have an infinite amount of items without a quantity listed, including certain arrows. Other than they add more items but don't really restock.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 25, 2016

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a glitch/cheat that makes people invisible? I was doing some fight club PvP outside Pontiff's room, and twice I got into a lobby with the same dude called 'Guardian Angel' who was completely invisible to me. I could see everyone else. I almost beat him the second time too :sigh:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Tracula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UQtBMKCipk

Go back to Demons souls and have something even better.

poo poo, that reminds me. Dual fist weapons. I haven't had stats to check it yet, but is power stancing back? I ask because it seems like otherwise there's a lot of weapons that come in pairs already.

Pardon if this has been asked and answered a million times in this thread already. :v:

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Mazed posted:

poo poo, that reminds me. Dual fist weapons. I haven't had stats to check it yet, but is power stancing back? I ask because it seems like otherwise there's a lot of weapons that come in pairs already.

Pardon if this has been asked and answered a million times in this thread already. :v:

Power stancing doesn't seem to be, but I've only tried with one or two weapons. There are specific weapons that are already two weapons that use both when you two-hand them though, and I think all of the fist weapons do this, so you only need to equip one claw and then just two-hand it to be dual wielding claws.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mazed posted:

Two-handing a fist weapon will dupe it and give you a powerstance moveset.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just beat my first boss in my first Dark Souls game ever and I get it, hot drat. GOAT status game.

Welcome aboard :buddy:

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

this is very satisfying, those little shits are so obnoxious

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

The Gorp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpurtahtnu0

This isn't even my video but it needs to be shared.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the single reason to cast a sorcery in DS3.
The music really makes it.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Welcome to the pain train, glad to have you aboard.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

CJacobs posted:

The wind-up before the parry starts adds an annoying element that imo makes parrying not really worth trying. It's not like Bloodborne where loving up a parry because of the wind-up doesn't have much of a consequence, screwing up a parry in DS3 will almost certainly mean death against tougher enemies.

I have no idea why this was added, all it does is it makes it take longer to memorize the parry timing for each attack. It's annoying for no real gain.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Xenolalia posted:

I have no idea why this was added, all it does is it makes it take longer to memorize the parry timing for each attack. It's annoying for no real gain.

To differentiate more between small and medium shields. Smalls like the buckler are still incredibly fast.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

There is never a reason to summon 3 phantoms. Assuming it goes by ds2 math, that would be like 2x boss HP for 1 phantom, 4x for 2 phantoms, then like, 8x for 3? not worth it at all

I know we chatted a bit on this before but just throwing in some more 2c from my co-op tonight.

If someone can somehow continuously damage the younger of the TP while solo, here is what he died at from continuous damage with 3 phants. The second phase of this fight took about 38 seconds with three phantoms.
(e: let's disregard this part because this boss might be bugged, thanks FROM!)

I do not think it is any problem to have 3 phantoms in general...like the HP bonus didn't make this guy last any longer with three than he usually did with two in my experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZsIUAvaYRk

The real problem is not any added HP but your raised chances of getting a guy who gets oneshot by the first attack of the boss, or you summon me and I sit there with my binos out taking screenshots. Also, using dried fingers seems to raise the chances of the fog wall glitch on pc.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 25, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I think someone said that the elder prince's health doesn't go up with more phantoms. Maybe only in the second stage?

e; the big 'problem' with too many phantoms is that the boss will wig out and randomly switch targets and moves, instead of behaving mostly predictably. This can be bad. Unless the host is at low health and is trying to heal, in that case the boss is on their rear end 100%

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I attacked that dragon on the High Wall until it flew away and I never saw it again. Does it actually reappear somewhere?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well this is odd.

If I alt-tab out and just so happen to try and watch a Youtube video about it, the game seems to consider that some kind of cardinal sin and tanks my framerate until I restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mazerunner posted:

To differentiate more between small and medium shields. Smalls like the buckler are still incredibly fast.

The side effect of adding the wind-up though is that some enemy attacks straight-up are not parryable because their attack is faster. The instant parry of Demon's and DS1 was way easier because it didn't match their general gameplay speed- now DS3 has the opposite problem.