Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Discendo Vox posted:

Someone help me understand why Psylocke (especially Psylocke specifically) is supposed to be attractive.

She's a half naked asian and most 80s comic nerds are white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lurdiak posted:

She's a half naked asian and most 80s comic nerds are white.

But so is Wolverine! It's not like-oh.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Discendo Vox posted:

But so is Wolverine! It's not like-oh.
Wolverine isn't asian, he's trans-ethnic, bub.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Discendo Vox posted:

Someone help me understand why Psylocke (especially Psylocke specifically) is supposed to be attractive.

Look up Olivia Munn as Psylocke in X-Men: Apocalypse. That's pretty much what everyone imagined Psylocke to look like in the late 80's/early 90's. She was the exotic Asian woman, Jean was the girl next door, Rogue was the southern belle, and Storm was the African goddess.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I guess it's at least progress when a half Vietnamese woman is playing a Japanese woman. Or at least the body of a Japanese woman housing the mind of a white British lady. The 80s were weird for the X-Men.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

Her ability to display her boobs and butt in a single pose.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Request: does anyone have the pages from Dark Reign where Osborn is full-on delusional Nixon monologuing into a tape recorder while walking around on the helicarrier and putting on the Goblin suit? Or at least an issue number? It's like my favorite sequence in comics and I can never find it collected.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kellsterik posted:

Request: does anyone have the pages from Dark Reign where Osborn is full-on delusional Nixon monologuing into a tape recorder while walking around on the helicarrier and putting on the Goblin suit? Or at least an issue number? It's like my favorite sequence in comics and I can never find it collected.

Think you mean Thunderbolts 120

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

Think you mean Thunderbolts 120

Confirmed.

Jace Madan posted:

I always thought Norman's speech/rant in Thunderbolts #120 was pretty baddass...

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm ambivalent about the whole 'just draw the character as whatever character you'd cast them as' thing, but Tommy Lee Jones as Norman Osborn is still absolutely perfect. I can hear every single word in his voice.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"You didn't have a mother! A pig coughed and you fell out!"

That whole arc, among many other things, did a surprisingly good job of making Norman scary.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Never put the hideout rent on your credit card. Thunderbolts (1997) #23.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

An appropriate use of her psionics.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

This is impressive even by comics standards. And she's speaking sentences in mid-air.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Discendo Vox posted:

Hits the beats of:

- hot asian dragon Lady
- but she is actually british so she got that classy accent
- a telepath who can have crazy mind sex with u
- a ninja assassin who can protect your frail cheeto body

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody find the animated version of that Psylocke panel.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

And she's speaking sentences in mid-air.
All mutants have this power.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Somebody find the animated version of that Psylocke panel.

This one?

("psylocke animated boobs butt" is now in my search history. I hope it was worth it.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Selachian posted:

This one?

("psylocke animated boobs butt" is now in my search history. I hope it was worth it.)

You're a prince.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

darthbob88 posted:

Confirmed.

I love how the layout is all hosed-up Dutch angles until he's back in his Goblin suit and everything is right in Norman World.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Say what you will about Bendis but that T-Bolts run leads into his excellent until SIEGE run of Dark Avengers.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

I love the drinks in that.

Last Year's Thor Annual

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Say what you will about Bendis but that T-Bolts run leads into his excellent until SIEGE run of Dark Avengers.

That was Ellis. I don't think Bendis ever wrote Thunderbolts.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Yvonmukluk posted:

Dark Avengers basically was his Thunderbolts run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I was implying that that excellent run of T-Bolts leads to the Bendis run of DA. Could have worded it better though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Discendo Vox posted:

She is a woman in a comic book and she is not Aunt May or pre-nu-52 Amanda Waller.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Call me crazy, but I thought pre-Asian Psylocke was a better character design. Though all the times she had a "tee hee, this armor is too heavy, I have to take it off!" moments got a little bit ridiculous, even for 8 year old Choco.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

I thought Dark Avengers was great as it was happening, but I realized it was brilliant when you think of it as the antithesis of every antihero storyline. It's basically the original Thunderbolts only everyone completely succumbs to their own failings and there's no redemption outside of Ares in Siege. At the same time, he pays with his life for not doing the right thing earlier.

Anyway, let's get back to Spider-Man/Deadpool #4. Deadpool's set he and Spider-Man up on a date with Thor (on Deadpool and Shiklah's "free pass" list. Also, tricked into being there) and Jenny. Jenny is a relative of Shiklah's and when Thor shows up, she shows her true succubus form and attacks.

My favorite part is Spider-Man, the straight man in this situation, trying to double-down on the mud idea.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

That's it, I've got to start reading Spider-Man/Deadpool. When Spidey's the straight man, holy drat will comedy ensue.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Cabbit posted:

I'm ambivalent about the whole 'just draw the character as whatever character you'd cast them as' thing, but Tommy Lee Jones as Norman Osborn is still absolutely perfect. I can hear every single word in his voice.

The best part is now that Spider-Man can be part of the main Marvel movie universe again they can reintroduce Osborne. Oh, I know Tommy Lee Jones is getting pretty old, but Josh Brolin's close to the right age, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Josh Brolin is Thanos.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Josh Brolin is Thanos.

Yeah, and Chris Evans is Captain America and the Human Torch. Strip away the CGI and the audience won't know the difference.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lars Blitzer posted:

Yeah, and Chris Evans is Captain America and the Human Torch. Strip away the CGI and the audience won't know the difference.

Human Torch was not in the same film universe.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Human Torch was not in the same film universe.

Point is, the audience wouldn't necessarily confuse Osborne with Thanos' looks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lars Blitzer posted:

Point is, the audience wouldn't necessarily confuse Osborne with Thanos' looks.

No, point is it's kind of doubtful that Disney and Sony would cast one actor to play two on screen roles in the shared universe.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Paul Bettany plays two roles.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He was very obviously himself in The First Avenger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

Paul Bettany plays two roles.

Not really. JARVIS becomes the Vision.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Is JARVIS the Vision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It would have been way better if Mr Jarvis had become the Vision. The power of the Mind Gem combined with impossible levels of dithering. :allears: