Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Woolie Wool posted:

Did you not notice that you were being level drained? You start suffering from it as soon as the stone appears and if you hang around for too long, you will hit level 0 and die. Once the spellstone is revealed, go IMMEDIATELY back to camp and buy restoration for yoir party members from Mizhena. Then you must go to the crusader camp and obtain the reversal scroll. You can either kill the red wizard or have a thief steal the scroll from his chest while he's distracted by the sermon (you may need oil of speed).

You can also just tell him to give you the scroll. Dude buckles under pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, it was the level drain that was killing me.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

You can also just tell him to give you the scroll. Dude buckles under pretty quickly.

He...he does? I never would have expected that.

But then again I just experienced this in IWD:

Salamanders: Hello, random human who came up from our human slave basement and probably talked to the humans there, what are you doing here?
Me: Just adventurin', hey could you give me the key that unlocks the exit near the slave basement?
Salamanders: But what about the slaves down there?
Me: I pinky-swear not to let them out, you can trust me, would a human lie to you?
Salamanders: Fine, here's the key.
Me: *frees all the slaves*
Salamanders: You lied to us! :monocle:

What a bunch of morons. Maybe they believed me because I'm a paladin and they didn't read the paladin code very closely.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 25, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Woolie Wool posted:

He...he does? I never would have expected that.

But then again I just experienced this in IWD:

Salamanders: Hello, random human who came up from our human slave basement and probably talked to the humans there, what are you doing here?
Me: Just adventurin', hey could you give me the key that unlocks the exit near the slave basement?
Salamanders: But what about the slaves down there?
Me: I pinky-swear not to let them out, you can trust me, would a human lie to you?
Salamanders: Fine, here's the key.
Me: *frees all the slaves*
Salamanders: You lied to us! :monocle:

What a bunch of morons. Maybe they believed me because I'm a paladin and they didn't read the paladin code very closely.

For the Red Wizard it's more or less like this

Me: Calaer says give me the Scroll.
Red Wizard: Calaer or the Barghest would have said something to me first.
Me: No seriously give me the Scroll or else. :arghfist::mad:
Red Wizard: Fine I have no interest in fighting about it.
Me: Don't you dare tell anyone.
Red Wizard: Sure thing I don't care about any of this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Maybe bringing Edwin to him causes something more to happen?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kavak posted:

Maybe bringing Edwin to him causes something more to happen?

Maybe but I doubt they would be on good terms. Edwin is an outcast.

I am guessing it's because he has a beard and head of hair. Thayans consider hair to be very unappealing to look at. (Having a bald head is also required for them to get their head tattoo's)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Normally I try to ~roleplay~ while interacting with enemies as a paladin by being diplomatic or making grandstanding declamations like a shonen anime character, but when I meet the salamander leader again I hope there is a dialogue option that's something like "You actually believed me when when I said I wouldn't free the slaves? You're the biggest dumbass I've ever seen!"

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 25, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Well, expecting a paladin to be a complete idiot isn't exactly an outrageous thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Suspicious posted:

Well, expecting a paladin to be a complete idiot isn't exactly an outrageous thing.

Keldorn and Mazzy seem to be pretty smart

The only one they are bad about is Viconia and she is evil.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

There's no dialogue for Kerrish at all, I can't make fun of him, and he's not even a real boss battle, just some random mook with a few more hitpoints and no flunkies. I just auto-attacked and he died immediately.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Keldorn and Mazzy seem to be pretty smart

The only one they are bad about is Viconia and she is evil.

Well there is Ajantis, who as someone who kind of digs the paladin archetype, I cannot loving stand.

Has anyone else besides me made a dwarf that specializes in halberds? It seems like a much more fitting weapon for a dwarf than an axe, since it provides a reach advantage. If you're 4'2" with an axe and your opponent is a 5'10" human with a sword, that scrawny human is going to kick your rear end.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 25, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Woolie Wool posted:

There's no dialogue for Kerrish at all, I can't make fun of him, and he's not even a real boss battle, just some random mook with a few more hitpoints and no flunkies. I just auto-attacked and he died immediately.

Well there is Ajantis, who as someone who kind of digs the paladin archetype, I cannot loving stand.

Refresher on who Kerrish is.

On Ajantis, Firkraag tricks you into murdering him so thats all good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah this expansion kicks rear end. I actually like it more than Baldurs Gate 1.

Now I have to wait for someone to do a corwyn mod.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Corwin would make the least sense as a companion in BG II. She works for the Flaming Fist and has a ~10 year old daughter, she can't go adventuring like the others.

I basically play a Chaotic Good Paladin- never refuse a call for help, defend the weak and innocent, but steal anything that isn't nailed down and doesn't get you in trouble and drink yourself into a stupor every night. Fortunately there's an option for that in the Forgotten Realms: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sune#Orders

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Are there any Realmslore options for a Neutral Good paladin?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lathander has Paladins, IIRC.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Awesome. I can't wait for Faiths and Powers' developers to add the deity-based paladin kits. :woop:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kavak posted:

Lathander has Paladins, IIRC.

Despite this Paladins don't fit him too well. Lathander is kind of too nice.

Of all Faerun Greater Gods he is for sure the nicest of them. The guy was even against a good deal of the other gods plan of killing Cyric and giving his portfolio's away. (Likely because Cyric was crazy and incompetent at the time in spreading his portfolios of Strife, Murder, Lies and Intrigue beyond his own church. Thereby making the world a better place.)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So the real reason he didn't do anything about Caelar's crusade is because he was a gigantic pussy?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It looks like, if you like sword and board paladins, the NG option is the Knights of the Merciful Sword, dedicated to Tyr.

Kavak posted:

So the real reason he didn't do anything about Caelar's crusade is because he was a gigantic pussy?

Caelar's not a paladin, he can't do poo poo to her. She's a level 17 fighter and her powers come from being an aasimar. I looked her .cre file up. She has a cleric healing spell, but she cannot Lay on Hands, Turn Undead, or Detect Evil.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 25, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Are there any Realmslore options for a Neutral Good paladin?

No.

Kavak is right that Lathander (a NG deity) has paladins serving him, but paladins as a rule are only Lawful Good for 90% or more of published Realmslore. (The exception being 4e, and maybe 5e, I don't have a copy of that PHB to check.) The organized discussions of paladin orders (from the 2e deity sourcebooks like Faiths and Avatars, the 3e FRCS, the "Deity Dos and Don'ts" Web Enhancement for Faiths and Pantheons, and Champions of Valor) talk about how deities that aren't LG have paladins, that's the distinction. But those paladins are always LG, even Sune's Ruby Rose Knights.

Now, there are good numbers of holy warriors that aren't paladins in the Realms, often organized into knightly orders under particular deities. You can look those up in the deity books (Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities), as well as Champions of Valor. The orders you're looking for often include other martial combatant classes, like fighters and rangers; hell, they can even include LG characters, just not necessarily paladins.

The point is that paladins are always LG and are a very specific thing in a deity's church. Other warriors for a given deity may exist, but unless they're LG and are specifically members of the paladin class, they're not paladins. (This even applies for demihuman orders that changed to paladins from the crusader kit in the 2e to 3e transition.)

Now, Baldur's Gate has always had a tortured relationship with the actual D&D rules and Realmslore, but the point remains intact. Your paladin is LG (blackguards are a mess of a quick-fix for adding a third-edition prestige class to the 2e class), and will always be LG as a paladin. You can worship Helm, Torm, Lathander, Sune, whomever has a paladin order, but no matter their alignment, you are LG.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Woolie Wool posted:

It looks like, if you like sword and board paladins, the NG option is the Knights of the Merciful Sword, dedicated to Tyr.

Caelar's not a paladin, he can't do poo poo to her. She's a level 17 fighter and her powers come from being an aasimar. I looked her .cre file up. She has a cleric healing spell, but she cannot Lay on Hands, Turn Undead, or Detect Evil.

Pretty much she looks like a Paladin, acts like one, and likely pretended to be one. But she is not one.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's kind of odd they didn't give her any Fallen Paladin levels.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kavak posted:

It's kind of odd they didn't give her any Fallen Paladin levels.

Well from reading on her in the game. She never actually did go into the Paladin training in her family. She likely gave up on it in order to save her Uncle.

She reminds of another FR fake Paladin, Ellery Dragonsbane. She was part of a renowned family of Paladins. Her Uncle even fought Orcus. And people were awaiting the day she would finally gain the blessings of a Paladin. It was never going to happen because while he convinced herself it was for the greater good she was in deep with an Assassin's guild.

In the end she died because she tried to betray Artemis Entreri and he stabbed her with his soul destroying dagger.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 25, 2016

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Arivia posted:

No.

Kavak is right that Lathander (a NG deity) has paladins serving him, but paladins as a rule are only Lawful Good for 90% or more of published Realmslore. (The exception being 4e, and maybe 5e, I don't have a copy of that PHB to check.)

in 5e at least, there are no alignment restrictions on any classes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am guessing it's because he has a beard and head of hair. Thayans consider hair to be very unappealing to look at. (Having a bald head is also required for them to get their head tattoo's)

I am pretty sure he has the beard and hair because he's an outcast and stopped shaving it, and not the other way around. :v:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So how exactly do death saving throws work in this game? Because every time members of my party fall to 0 HP, they instantly die and don't get to make death saves. It's really frustrating to have to go back to a town and pay to resurrect everyone.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Death saving throws are for death effects, not all of which involve death. 0 HP kills everyone.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Kavak posted:

0 HP kills everyone.
That's... really poor game design given how low starting HP is for everyone. Is there a mod that lets you make death saving throws when reduced to 0 like in the actual tabletop game?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't know if that was a thing in 2nd Edition. Neverwinter Nights killed you at 0 HP rather than -10, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chaltab posted:

That's... really poor game design given how low starting HP is for everyone. Is there a mod that lets you make death saving throws when reduced to 0 like in the actual tabletop game?

AD&D is not 4E, and getting a saving throw at 0HP is not a thing in AD&D, so no.

Fortunately, it's a video game, so just save before fights and reload if your guys die.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 25, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Lathander isn't so much "nice" as he is "naive" and "young" and also occasionally "unwilling to put up with Realmslore bullshit;" apparently there was some weird event that's only vaguely hinted at that involved him going "Uh, why the gently caress do we just kinda sit around and let the evil gods exist instead of kicking their asses out?" Unfortunately, the bullshit is stronger then any one god, and it mostly just lead to some random lesser goddess nobody had heard about dying because reasons.

See also: Faithless, Wall of; Kelemvor.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Fortunately, it's a video game, so just save before fights and reload if your guys die.
I mean, fair enough, that's what I've been doing, but it's a pain in the rear end. I suppose I could use 'Story Mode' but I don't want to make death impossible, just not constant.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What're you playing as?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Chaltab posted:

I mean, fair enough, that's what I've been doing, but it's a pain in the rear end. I suppose I could use 'Story Mode' but I don't want to make death impossible, just not constant.

Low level 2E combat is not good. This will depend on your class, but in the early going play like a total coward. Keep a ranged weapon handy and kite everything. Any spell that incapacitates or hinders enemy movement is golden.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Cleric/Illusionist. But I knew that would be a squishy class going in. The problem is the rest of my party and having to pay to resurrect them. You know how in Dragon Age your party members are knocked unconscious but get back up at the end of combat? And you still get a game over if everyone goes down? That seems like a lot more reasonable difficulty curve than this poo poo.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

These are old, tough games. Keep everyone as close to max HP as possible, rest and save often, and use guides and a lower difficulty if you need to.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Baldur's Gate: Prepare to Die edition.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Chaltab posted:

Cleric/Illusionist. But I knew that would be a squishy class going in. The problem is the rest of my party and having to pay to resurrect them. You know how in Dragon Age your party members are knocked unconscious but get back up at the end of combat? And you still get a game over if everyone goes down? That seems like a lot more reasonable difficulty curve than this poo poo.

Yeah, but everyone is squishy at low levels. You don't have that much of a buffer in terms of HP. So three hot tips here:

1. everyone who can use a ranged weapon should have a ranged weapon.
2. disabling spells are your best friends (sleep from your mage spells is very effective and so is the cleric spell Command)
3. buffs are quite good, particularly protection from evil if someone has to fight up close or bless to make your salvos of shots more likely to hit.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Only real bullshit is that if your Main Character dies or gets turned to stone it's instant game over while you can resurrect everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Chaltab posted:

That class combo gets both command and sleep. Sleep is a godsend for the early levels and will send whole packs to sleep while you cheerfully butcher them. Command only works single target but it stays relevant longer and is the go to for nasty solo encounters. Abuse those and have everyone ready with ranged weapons.

Basically, what you should understand is that crowd control is super busted in Baldurs Gate. Stuff like Sleep and Horror wouldn't even make the rough draft of a modern strategy game for how hard they outright win an encounter, so abuse away.