Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

One thing that cracks me the gently caress up is how many mod authors are still salty that they can't make money off their mods. It's honestly never been easier to become a game developer and people want to make money off their lizardtit mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Well, some of them are trying. Arthmoor has been making that bear furry RPG for like 4 years.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

So I've been kind of reading this on my phone during my breaks on a real slow night shift but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Some people have made a mod information site which will recommend mods based on what you tell the site you're looking for, while also offering potential conflict warnings and reviews.

Mod authors, or rather, a small sect of mod authors are saying this sets a dangerous precedent because of what? This is the part I guess I might have missed because I don't see how this is a bad idea. Are they worried their work may be genuinely criticized or something?

Far as I'm concerned this could be a great stepping stone for people to start modding games they wouldn't otherwise.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doctor 7 posted:

So I've been kind of reading this on my phone during my breaks on a real slow night shift but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Some people have made a mod information site which will recommend mods based on what you tell the site you're looking for, while also offering potential conflict warnings and reviews.

Mod authors, or rather, a small sect of mod authors are saying this sets a dangerous precedent because of what? This is the part I guess I might have missed because I don't see how this is a bad idea. Are they worried their work may be genuinely criticized or something?

This is their primary issue, yes.

doctor 7 posted:

Far as I'm concerned this could be a great stepping stone for people to start modding games they wouldn't otherwise.

Also, this.

Also, if people aren't forced to figure out wyre bash and tes5edit-ing their games "the hard way" like these old guard were, they won't feel the pressure to learn modding tools and something something MODDING CULTURE WILL SUFFOCATE FROM LACK OF INTERESTED AUTHORS.

Yes this was a real goddamn argument I read in that thread.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

poo poo, Grimy was banned for a while for pointing out that a popular combat mod literally did nothing. Like, literally had no effect at all.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It really can't be understated how insanely toxic the Elder Scrolls modding community is. And how toxically insane, because jesus christ, it is legitimately insane.

EDIT: People there still hate Mod Organizer because of how easy it makes things. Seriously, insane.

EDIT 2: Someone asked THE DAWN IS AN AGENT OF CHANGE lunatic what their favorite part of Atlas Shrugged was and they had an actual answer. TES modding is the funniest thing.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 25, 2016

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Agents are GO! posted:

poo poo, Grimy was banned for a while for pointing out that a popular combat mod literally did nothing. Like, literally had no effect at all.

Please someone have a link to a summary of this

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

doctor 7 posted:

Please someone have a link to a summary of this

Probably DUEL, which doesn't do nothing at all, but doesn't do as much as it claims to do, and many of the changes are pointless (like changing GMST that are apparently not actually used by the engine).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Probably DUEL, which doesn't do nothing at all, but doesn't do as much as it claims to do, and many of the changes are pointless (like changing GMST that are apparently not actually used by the engine).

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about.

Edit: oh and now people are comparing themselves (mod authors) with the protagonists from 1984.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 25, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Mod Picker it literally The Party

:stonkhat:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Sky rim modded aren't even libertarians: they are totalitarian anarchists: "Do whatever you want, unless I say otherwise."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

And this is why the opt-out compromise bothers me so much. It is incredibly useful to have a place where honest critique and feedback of mods can exist without authorial control. Allowing mod authors to forbid their mods being evaluated at a third party site just enables that level of information control. The second someone says something the author doesn't like, such as "the mod seems a bit unstable" or "looking under the hood, it does literally nothing," the mod gets pulled.

I guess you could say, it isn't worth using mods by anyone not willing to keep their mod up there, but these people can be incredibly petty, meaning some genuinely good but flawed mods will not be available to check out or put in lists. This will have a predictable chilling effect.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Wasn't this because that dude was messing with textures that Bethesda didn't have the rights to anymore? It was a technicality I thought, not Bethesda stepping in and going "MODDERS RIGHTS".

Possibly. Not too sure about the exact details of the legal issues Bethesda had at the time. I suppose anyone wanting to do what you did for Minecraft could make sure Bethesda is OK with it and to hell with everyone else. Which would be awesome because gently caress me installing mods on Skyrim is a colossal clusterfuck at times. Something like Technic would not only be awesome for Skyrim, but could be set up for Fallout 4 and future TES games.

GunnerJ posted:

And this is why the opt-out compromise bothers me so much. It is incredibly useful to have a place where honest critique and feedback of mods can exist without authorial control. Allowing mod authors to forbid their mods being evaluated at a third party site just enables that level of information control. The second someone says something the author doesn't like, such as "the mod seems a bit unstable" or "looking under the hood, it does literally nothing," the mod gets pulled.

I guess you could say, it isn't worth using mods by anyone not willing to keep their mod up there, but these people can be incredibly petty, meaning some genuinely good but flawed mods will not be available to check out or put in lists. This will have a predictable chilling effect.

It's unfortunate that good ol' Arthmoor is one of the dissenters. Classic example of whiny prima-donna oval office, but his mods are on pretty much every "Essential mods" list.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I brought this up as an off-hand comment in the Awful Mods thread, but would there be any interest in collaborating on a SA modding wiki? We couldn't do anything as slick as what mator et al have put together but it might still be useful if it gets enough word of mouth notoriety. Then again we'd probably have to scrub our common internet identities so we don't get banned from the entire Nexus/from downloading specific mods.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I brought this up as an off-hand comment in the Awful Mods thread, but would there be any interest in collaborating on a SA modding wiki? We couldn't do anything as slick as what mator et al have put together but it might still be useful if it gets enough word of mouth notoriety. Then again we'd probably have to scrub our common internet identities so we don't get banned from the entire Nexus/from downloading specific mods.

My nexus name isn't my SA name so yeah that'd be rad. Make sure you can have ratings

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

I'd be up for this. I don't know what you're thinking but I can contribute technical/code stuff if you need it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Raygereio posted:

Got any particular topics you would want to see covered?

Edit:

There's a huge thread in the Nexus' mod author section and some nice meltdowns about it.
It looks like it will be Grimy's mod reviews all over again. Some of those authors are very upset over the possibility that mere mod users might "critique" their precious gifts to the community on a place that they can't control (read: don't have the power to delete comments).

God can someone do a dramatic reading of some of those posts? I keep reading it in the same voice as the F Zero rant from years and years ago.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mortimer posted:

My nexus name isn't my SA name so yeah that'd be rad. Make sure you can have ratings

I don't know if a wiki can do that but I also don't know that it can't or that a wiki is the best format. You're right that it's really important to have, though.

Praseodymi posted:

I'd be up for this. I don't know what you're thinking but I can contribute technical/code stuff if you need it.

Basically I was just thinking of a wikia where you can make pages about mods, maybe either collaborate on reviews or have separate reviews. But the need for ratings etc. makes me wonder what the best platform really is.

It's an idea that's compelling to me but I won't really even have time to do much with until the summer. But when the new thread goes up, the format and nature of it might be a good thing to discuss.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

We have actually tried this for Skyrim mods, but the goon who started it up and had full control/access disappeared (where are you GastHeidegger :()

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ratings would probably be better suited for some off site rating system then parsed into pages, otherwise you'd have to prevent non-goons from editing pages which on a wikia is really dang hard/time consuming.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Scyantific posted:

We have actually tried this for Skyrim mods, but the goon who started it up and had full control/access disappeared (where are you GastHeidegger :()

Is there any remnants of it left? I'd be curious to see how they approached it.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.reddit.com/user/mlee3141 :lol:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Holy poo poo this modding community is literally his entire life

e: hahaha

quote:

I suppose I can see where you're coming from, with modders/ content creators never able to truly enjoy the work they create. Yet perhaps the true joy; that spark of passion lies in realizing your vision, for good or ill, and having the sense of accomplishment to do what no one else dared to dream.
Then again, these days I feel like I'm only working on VoT so as not to let my efforts, and those of my team, go to waste. After all, I've gone too far to quit, but I have been working on side projects that require a lot of writing (since that's something I enjoy doing) as a sort of a break/ diversion.
Like I said before, I'm truly sorry to see IQ go, and I hope VoT won't die as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3hjgwf/immersive_quests_has_been_dropped_and_im_sorry/

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 25, 2016

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

is it weird that I feel sorry for his parents? because I do

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Okay, this really is relevant to nothing but laughing, but every record type in an ESP file has a four-letter identifier, for instance the Editor ID is EDID, the Virtual Machine Adapter (Script engine, basically) is VMAD. The four letter identifier for "Walk away", for things NPCs say when you tab out of a conversation in mid-sentence is... "TWAT."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Just wanted to say thanks for the well written guides on the first page. I felt like playing Skyrim for the first time in awhile, and figured I'd look up what some good mods would be for what is a sort of but not really "first time" playthrough, but not a bunch of crazy poo poo.

The first time playthrough list was helpful and the links (especially Mod Organizer) saved me a shitload of time. Now to actually play through the game. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Zaodai posted:

Now to actually play through the game. :v:
Whoa whoa whoa, what the hell dude. Mods?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Zaodai posted:

:getout:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zaodai posted:

That's crazy talk.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the well written guides on the first page. I felt like playing Skyrim for the first time in awhile, and figured I'd look up what some good mods would be for what is a sort of but not really "first time" playthrough, but not a bunch of crazy poo poo.

The first time playthrough list was helpful and the links (especially Mod Organizer) saved me a shitload of time. Now to actually play through the game. :v:

Looks like someone's new to Skyrim modding :v:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm unemployed, and while the job search seems to be going fine at the moment, when I'm not doing that, I'm bored. I like the idea of firing Skyrim back up, but I don't want to deal with mod installation. Is there a recommendation for a one-stop modpack? The only one I can really find is Skyrim: Journey. Anyone have experience with it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Revol posted:

I'm unemployed, and while the job search seems to be going fine at the moment, when I'm not doing that, I'm bored. I like the idea of firing Skyrim back up, but I don't want to deal with mod installation. Is there a recommendation for a one-stop modpack? The only one I can really find is Skyrim: Journey. Anyone have experience with it?

its bad

skyrim isn't about playing the game, its about modding the game you think you might some day play

mod installation has never been easier my friend

this sums up skyrim the journey

their FAQ posted:

I'm and old hat at Skyrim Mods, what can you tell me about Skyrim Journey?

Ever wanted to play Requiem with SkyRe rules?
This is pretty much that

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
So I unchecked every single mod one by one in my load searching for the cause of my CTD's, and to my surprise it appears to be Immersive Armors. There appears to be a few other people complaining about the same issue, but not a ton. This makes me think it could be fixed if I properly knew how to deal with the leveled lists, which I don't. How does me, a noob, figure this out?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

IA uses a script to add its stuff to the lists at runtime so I don't know that messing with the leveled lists in the ESP would help.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

IA uses a script to add its stuff to the lists at runtime so I don't know that messing with the leveled lists in the ESP would help.

Hmmm, yeah, just read a couple tutorials for tes5edit patches and went in and there were very few conflicts, all of which seemed to be easily resolved.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

so, I have an issue. When I run Mod Organizer without admin, I cannot see any of the mods that I have active in the data files. When I run as admin, I cannot use my controller, and the window is something like 640x480. Has anyone had an issue like this? Windows 10, if that matters.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TeenageArchipelago posted:

so, I have an issue. When I run Mod Organizer without admin, I cannot see any of the mods that I have active in the data files. When I run as admin, I cannot use my controller, and the window is something like 640x480. Has anyone had an issue like this? Windows 10, if that matters.

do you have skyrim and/or mod organizer in your program files folder?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Mortimer posted:

do you have skyrim and/or mod organizer in your program files folder?

I might? I don't know, I fixed it though. Just restarted both, and checked the 360 controller option in the menu. been a long time since I last first played skyrim.

But thanks!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Check to see if you have them inside C:\ Program Files anyway. That poo poo causes a lot of bitching from MO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Check to see if you have them inside C:\ Program Files anyway. That poo poo causes a lot of bitching from MO.

turns out skyrim was. Started having some other issues with SkyUI, so I am installing outside of ProgramFiles

• Locked thread