Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

bring back old gbs posted:

Well if you were doing a straight transplant of the motors with the only 4 screws they came with, that is very strange and should not have happened. I've accidentally hit windings before when using motors that came with a ton of screws for all different arm thickness. the shorter screws worked fine but the longer ones would always cause cogging even if they didnt appear to be touching anything. But even with the cogging and me throwing the throttle around like crazy trying to get around it I never actually shorted anything or smoked a motor right off the bat...

Some ESCs use a twister pair signal and ground, others just use signal and use the ground from VCC I suppose. You should contact Diatone about getting the correct replacement ESC and not just another type with the same amp rating. Things like timing, oneshot, and active breaking could make that one motor behave differently than the others, so if you're replacing them with a different type I'd replace all of them at once unfortunately. Motors are whatever, unless your old motors are compleeeeeetely hosed you won't notice much of a difference between brand new and slightly used ones other than them just sounding nicer.

FWIW my first quad was a mess of me crashing, a motor cogging, having ZERO idea about where the break may be, screwing wiring and soldering up, and being intimidated to fix it or swap parts once my confidence had been smacked around a bit. I considered myself pretty capable with a soldering iron and building poo poo but quads had a way of beating me every time. It's all gone now though, as far as racing quads go I'm pretty confident 1.5 years in that I could build and troubleshoot any racing quad.

I finally got my hands on the 5 ZTW 18a spiders I ordered and 2 of the 5 bags were cut open and had no ESC in them :argh: The buy 5 when you need 4 rule failed meee. My morphite is never getting back in the air. Luckily I bought locally and the guy is sending 2 more out but I feel like such a scam artist. One of the bags was very clearly cut open above the stapled cardboard top and the other just looked ripped. The actual envelope with the company logo on it and everything was untouched though.

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed. Could it be firmware that caused the cogging? All the motors were cogging a bit when disarmed, toggling oneshot actually stopped it. I tried increasing the min throttle which helped a bit, as did lowering min command. I cut the heatshrink off the ESC and inspected the coils in the motor and I don't see anything burned up, it does smell a little weird. I think it puffed when I accidentally gave it a little bit of throttle when it was cogging.

Before it smoked I was able to flick the arm switch a few times and it would start spinning like the rest of them, I tried this after I saw it puff and it still worked as I just described. The only other thing I did was cable tie the heat shrinked ESC to the frame. Is it possible that it's still flyable?

Just shot off an email to Diatone though, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That first ESC pic looks like its a bit burnt on the two top motor wires. Does it look burnt to you?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of burning ESCs..

The first quad I assembled I took my ESC out of the plastic protective covering to solder some stuff and I figured "hey I'll just leave the plastic off" before I attached all four directly to CF arms.

Needless to say, I was rudely reminded that CF conducts electricity.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Philthy posted:

That first ESC pic looks like its a bit burnt on the two top motor wires. Does it look burnt to you?

Looks worse in the picture.. kinda looks like they over-fluxed in person, but I could be wrong. I'm actually facebook chatting with one of the Diatone guys in HK, will report back.

edit: So they're gonna send me 2 replacement ESC's, a motor and a set of shorter screws. I figured out that having Oneshot enabled is causing my motors to jitter, but neither the HK tech or I know what the means or how to fix it. I'm thinking it might be the BLHeli firmware? He said it shouldn't effect how it flies, but I dunno.

double edit: Decided to order 4 new DYS XM20a ESC that I linked earlier and a new motor. Looked closer at the integrated PDB on the tyrant and there shouldn't be any issue using the XM20a esc's. I wasn't thinking clearly earlier just noticed there is a ground pad in addition to the signal pad, which I am assuming are for twisted throttle signal wires.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 25, 2016

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Completely new to drones, I decided to build a FliteTest Versacopter because they've got neat and detailed instructional videos. It's good!
I'll admit I was practicing on Liftoff quite a bit before I managed to complete the build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOg8MLpGgj4

I just ordered my FPV stuff and it should be here within the week.

Flavor Truck fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 25, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Re: Soldering

You guys use solder with integrated flux or do you use them separately. I'm wondering, because getting solder on pads cleanly keeps being a challenge.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
60/40 rosin core. you can always get a flux pen as well

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

You guys use solder with integrated flux or do you use them separately. I'm wondering, because getting solder on pads cleanly keeps being a challenge.

60/40 lead-based flux-cored solder. Lead solder is so much easier to use than the new non-lead versions.

This one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002L5Y8R8/ref=pe_1909131_77697121_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
My 2217's showed up today. Now.. we see if that'll fly longer than the stock motors. They're smaller than I thought they'd be. At least they were only $10 each.

Combat Pretzel posted:

You're not getting the pads hot enough. (seriously.)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

If I just use generic "rosin core" solder I always get little spikes following my tip as I pull it away. Just a dirty joint, it'll harden matte, not shiny. I use a tiny little screwdriver to dab a bit of flux on the joint and even if you just touch the joint for an instant the spike doesn't follow anymore and the solder will be a nice clean shiny blob. To clean up extra flux I spray a bit of rubbing alcohol on the part and go over everything with an old toothbrush. Makes everything look super clean. The mini screwdriver kit, alcohol spray bottle, and toothbrushes all came from the dollar store, nothing fancy.

Maybe expensive solder doesn't do the spiky thing, but that can be remedied with a $4 tin of flux in my experience.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

You guys use liquid electrical tape? Thinking about using it on the exposed esc leads on my pdb

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Google Butt posted:

You guys use liquid electrical tape? Thinking about using it on the exposed esc leads on my pdb

I use it on the main leads and cover my D4R and X4R receivers in it when I debox and cram them into a frame.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If I just use generic "rosin core" solder I always get little spikes following my tip as I pull it away.
Oh god this!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HNNNNGGGGGGGGG

Some guy using automotive carbon techniques to make quad frames

https://www.facebook.com/steve.craemer/posts/1262397777122322

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
What purpose do motors tilted forward serve? In general, not just the automobile quad.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HNNNNGGGGGGGGG

Some guy using automotive carbon techniques to make quad frames

https://www.facebook.com/steve.craemer/posts/1262397777122322

Nice looking design.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ineptitude posted:

What purpose do motors tilted forward serve? In general, not just the automobile quad.

The body of the quad will be level (or at least closer to level,) while moving forward.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So I finished the lower part of my "aerodynamic" arm sleeves, and they're 12gr of plastic per arm. Roughly 50gr of additional weight, and they're already setup to be printed as thin as possible. I wonder whether I get that even back with improved airflow over the arms.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I finished the lower part of my "aerodynamic" arm sleeves, and they're 12gr of plastic per arm. Roughly 50gr of additional weight, and they're already setup to be printed as thin as possible. I wonder whether I get that even back with improved airflow over the arms.

No way. Well, maybe of you're using 220x with fat triblades, who knows. You'd be better off using that "finishing" coating stuff you can paint on 3d prints to smooth out the layer lines, then using those parts to vacuum form some thin plastic. You'd still have to figure out a way to mount that thin plastic to the arms, maybe similar to how the RotorX Raiju canopy just stays on with elastics/shrink wrap.

https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/xtc-3d/

Heck, your next project could be a DIY vacuum former!! The building never stops!

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 25, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

MrYenko posted:

The body of the quad will be level (or at least closer to level,) while moving forward.

Aha, that makes sense :)

In other news, i took my quad out on its maiden flight today (in my living room)
Jesus christ the noise. Its like using a gas powered leafblower indoors, and thats with the quad barely lifting off (essentially just coasting along the floor)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Try bullnose props.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Combat Pretzel posted:

Got access to a vacuum table?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

CrazyLittle posted:

Got access to a vacuum table?

That's the way to do it. I think it could be done even with flat .020 lexan. Hmm... I should do that.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Can you print your aerodynamic parts in Vase mode? That makes the wall 1 unit thick. It will be very light, but will likely break easily unless you use something like ninjaflex filament.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

--edit: ^^^ Would vase mode work with open splines, or does it have to be closed? Never used it before.

No vacuum table :(

Regarding LC filters, can I stick them very close to ESCs, or would induction from later defy their purpose? I'd like to cram as much as possible between the two bottom plates with the other electrics.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I've also never used vase mode, I just know it exists and is a way to make the thinnest walls possible. It just prints a perimeter.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I bought a set of tiger motors mn2206 kv2000 to replace the set I shorted out ($100 learning experience lol). I'm a little confused though, the motors that came with my tyrant are 2 cw and 2 ccw threaded, the t motors don't specify the thread direction and you can order single motors. Do some brands have all cw threads and some have cw and ccw?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 26, 2016

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

Google Butt posted:

I bought a set of tiger motors mn2206 kv2000 to replace the set I shorted out ($100 learning experience lol). I'm a little confused though, the motors that came with my tyrant are 2 cw and 2 ccw threaded, the t motors don't specify the thread direction and you can order single motors. Do some brands have all cw threads and some have cw and ccw?

Yes.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Cool. What's the reason for that? Pros/cons?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Cool. What's the reason for that? Pros/cons?

Direction of rotation will cause the prop nuts to self-tighten, so that you don't need lock-nuts. Also makes it easier to see which prop goes where :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

With active braking, I'd figure lock nuts are still a plus.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Direction of rotation will cause the prop nuts to self-tighten, so that you don't need lock-nuts. Also makes it easier to see which prop goes where :)

Ah. Are you stuck with the bullet style nuts (comes with the motors I ordered) with the little hex screw if all your motors have cw threads, or can you get away with standard 5mm nylon lock nuts?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Ah. Are you stuck with the bullet style nuts (comes with the motors I ordered) with the little hex screw if all your motors have cw threads, or can you get away with standard 5mm nylon lock nuts?

I know some people who just use CW with 5mm nylon lock nuts. YMMV

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't like looking for backwards nuts

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I don't like looking for backwards nuts

Yeah seems annoying

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I just use nylocks and CW threads. Easy peasy. It also means that spare motors can be used at any spot on the quad.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So when I've been testing with autolevel modes on (Or flying indoors), all my quads have always slowly rotated left or right. I always thought it was just cheap compasses in the flight controllers.

Someone pointed out that it's actually the yaw blipping from 1500 to 1501 to 1500 to 1501 really fast. So in the cleanflight controls under the receiver tab there is a thing called yaw deadband. I set it to 5, and now it stays put.

This is really only noticeable in the self leveling modes like angle or horizon, but depending on your transmitter/receiver combo it might be so strong it'll carry over to the rate modes, too.

It was such a freaking annoying problem. Not sure if all the software combos out there have this option, but betaflight does and it fixed it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 27, 2016

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Philthy posted:

So when I've been testing with autolevel modes on (Or flying indoors), all my quads have always slowly rotated left or right. I always thought it was just cheap compasses in the flight controllers.

Someone pointed out that it's actually the yaw blipping from 1500 to 1501 to 1500 to 1501 really fast. So in the cleanflight controls under the receiver tab there is a thing called yaw deadband. I set it to 5, and now it stays put.

This is really only noticeable in the self leveling modes like angle or horizon, but depending on your transmitter/receiver combo it might be so strong it'll carry over to the rate modes, too.

It was such a freaking annoying problem. Not sure if all the software combos out there have this option, but betaflight does and it fixed it.

it's available on cleanflight too, but only via the command line IIRC.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
it was in multiwii which is the ancestor of base/clean/betaflight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Going to write up my new motors and escs tonight. My escs come with the blheli boatloader, meaning I should be able to reverse motor direction via cleanflight. Is there any downside to doing that if I get the wiring wrong, rather than resoldering the wires?