Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

The Gorp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpurtahtnu0

This isn't even my video but it needs to be shared.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the single reason to cast a sorcery in DS3.

That is goddamn glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Mazerunner posted:

To differentiate more between small and medium shields. Smalls like the buckler are still incredibly fast.

But it just makes turtling more intuitive... I don't really mind it's just, it makes parrying seem like more of a novelty since the risks are way too high.

Maybe I was cursed by DS1 muscle-memory though or maybe I'm just bad at parrying right now, that could very well be the case.

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 25, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Man, i love co-op because everyone is so varied in builds as opposed to PVP

Edit: what's the trick to parry with Uchigatana? Is it pretty much instant?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mazerunner posted:

I think someone said that the elder prince's health doesn't go up with more phantoms. Maybe only in the second stage?

lol, well oh

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Tallgeese posted:

Well this is odd.

If I alt-tab out and just so happen to try and watch a Youtube video about it, the game seems to consider that some kind of cardinal sin and tanks my framerate until I restart.

I've taken to just switching to windowed mode if I ever want to tab out to do anything.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Harrow posted:

This was a while ago, but I'd also like to hear from someone using the Twinswords.

Though as far as I can tell they're mostly good for PvP. For PvE you're probably doing too little damage with the L1s and if you use the R1s it's just a weaker straight sword.

Quoting this from last night which was like 20 pages ago but I +10'd and refined mine with a 40/40 quality build the second I got them and don't regret it at all. The star of the show is the rolling L1 which does like 500+ damage and is incredibly fast and long ranged, the other L1 attacks still do a huge amount of damage but are a bit slower in terms of how long it takes for them to come out. Stamina drain on the L1s is low so they're efficient in that respect. I think they might be the longest straight sword in the game, possibly second to the Dark Sword, so that helps a lot too, and you still have the excellent regular straight sword moveset. I use resins vs anything even slightly threatening because they're so cheap and I don't really need any more levels on this character now so perhaps if you aren't using resins they're a bit lovely.

Other than the crazy chasing power of the rolling L1 I'd say they're not great for PvP because you're better off using a weapon which has its full power in one hand so you can keep your offhand free for a buckler. My experiences in PvP with them are basically that good players will parry you a lot because their moveset is pretty predictable if you use the L1s, you can get outpoked by long weapons because you can't parry while still threatening with a rolling L1, and when you're 1handing it's just a weak straight sword. It is fun when you 2 or 3 shot people who haven't invested into HP though.

On a related note I've been trying to decide on whether to go for Carthus Flame Arc or Lightning Blade (or even Dark Weapon?) on a buff build, I don't really care about other spells I just want to use buffs, but I don't know which of these does the most damage - would be good if someone could help.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Gorp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpurtahtnu0

This isn't even my video but it needs to be shared.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the single reason to cast a sorcery in DS3.

This would be so much better if Hidden body didn't have a base duration of 20 seconds.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Any tips on how to avoid the king of storm's fire from above attack?

Just loving run when it takes off. Any direction. There's no reason not to. If you are looking for a tell, it seems to move much quicker when it's going for a lightning strike so the opposite. Basically if you can still see it you need to run.

I freaking love this boss. I wish you could just pull the lever and fight it whenever you wanted. Probably my favorite fight in a Souls game.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Is that a robed Kaathe statue right next to the Grand Archives bonfire?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Is that a robed Kaathe statue right next to the Grand Archives bonfire?

Yeah! Those statues are kind of interesting.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
How would you tell if it was Kaathe or Frampt?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Well, it's just one of the generic moustached llama-snake faces, it could be any of them honestly.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

turtlecrunch posted:

How would you tell if it was Kaathe or Frampt?

Kaathe always was the more ambitious one. Frampt is more of a yoda type than a preacher type imho.

Then again a Darkwraith is imprisoned at the Wall of Lothric, so Kaathe wouldn't have his own statue at an important place.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 25, 2016

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Spent the evening doing Aldrich bro invasions. I came upon a Smaug / Ornstein gimmick team that would have been way more fun if they weren't estus chugging runners.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

kater posted:

Just loving run when it takes off. Any direction. There's no reason not to. If you are looking for a tell, it seems to move much quicker when it's going for a lightning strike so the opposite. Basically if you can still see it you need to run.

I freaking love this boss. I wish you could just pull the lever and fight it whenever you wanted. Probably my favorite fight in a Souls game.

The fire breath has an incredibly obvious tell. It roars, and then goes straight up. You just roll backwards four or five times and you'll be fine, if you're by the head, which is where you should be.

The flying lightning strike into swoop has a very different tell. It very obviously takes off to the side- your left, its right.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

il serpente cosmico posted:

Spent the evening doing Aldrich bro invasions. I came upon a Smaug / Ornstein gimmick team that would have been way more fun if they weren't estus chugging runners.

Use some lloyd's breh

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Gazaar posted:

Use some lloyd's breh
*gets hit by undead hunter charm while chugging, runs off at fullspeed, does sick 180 spin mid sprint and mashes dark sword r1 to kill opponent*

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

il serpente cosmico posted:

You can use throwing knives and Farron dart while running.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Fereydun posted:

*gets hit by undead hunter charm while chugging, runs off at fullspeed, does sick 180 spin mid sprint and mashes dark sword r1 to kill opponent*

How are people getting killed by straightswords at all? You can just roll out after 2 hits every time?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

WarpedLichen posted:

How are people getting killed by straightswords at all? You can just roll out after 2 hits every time?

Those 2 hits really hurt.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So i healed my dark sigils and when i reached Anor Londo, Anri was on the altar with the wedding-cross stuck in her face.
Does that mean someone else married her?
I havent really aimed for that questline, but since it wasnt me who impaled her right through the skull in a romantic way it must have been someone else.
But who?

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Mehrunes posted:

They have an infinite amount of items without a quantity listed, including certain arrows. Other than they add more items but don't really restock.

Ok, wasn't sure because though there isn't a quantity listed in the first trade window, when you go to select the number to buy there is an amount listed.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Kaathe always was the more ambitious one. Frampt is more of a yoda type than a preacher type imho.

Then again a Darkwraith is imprisoned at the Wall of Lothric, so Kaathe wouldn't have his own statue at an important place.

Wasn't it Frampt that betrayed his own kind to get some dope royal patronage? That seems far more ambitious than just chilling in oblivion and hoping to meet someone.

Also are those... things... in Arch supposed to be connected somehow?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Things? You mean the snakemen? They're connected to the dragons not the primordial serpents.

Savings Coupon posted:

Ok, wasn't sure because though there isn't a quantity listed in the first trade window, when you go to select the number to buy there is an amount listed.

That's the max amount you can buy or hold, whichever is lower.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

kater posted:

That seems far more ambitious than just chilling in oblivion and hoping to meet someone.

I don't think chilling in oblivion and waiting to talk to someone was how he got Oolacile and New Londo to self-destruct, to be fair.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

So I got this the other day and have never played any of the earlier games. I keep dying on the first boss but on top of that my Weapon is now "at risk". Is there anywhere I can get it fixed before the first boss or do I just need to start again?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

irlZaphod posted:

So I got this the other day and have never played any of the earlier games. I keep dying on the first boss but on top of that my Weapon is now "at risk". Is there anywhere I can get it fixed before the first boss or do I just need to start again?

Rest at the bonfire

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Summoned a Purple dude for the hell of it, he helped me clear Archives. Sorry I died to the three angels 😭

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

irlZaphod posted:

Also if you haven't found them yet, there are some firebombs that can help in the area before the first boss. They don't respawn though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Red eyeing the woods own

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Frampt was working with Gwyndolin to basically trick some really strong undead to link the fire so they could continue living in opulence in Anor Londo in an age of fire.

He's a right oval office.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is there any point to killing the chained giant?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry if this has been brought up before but this thread moves too fast.

Late game grand archives/lothric castle spoilers:

What's up with that birdcage at the top of the archives? There was a spell in there and a poo poo load of feathers. I'm guessing it was an 'angel' of some kind but who? Lothric's boss room is also filled with feathers too but it didn't seem like they were from him from what I could tell. I'm rather intrigued by these feathers.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

NaDy posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up before but this thread moves too fast.

Late game grand archives/lothric castle spoilers:

What's up with that birdcage at the top of the archives? There was a spell in there and a poo poo load of feathers. I'm guessing it was an 'angel' of some kind but who? Lothric's boss room is also filled with feathers too but it didn't seem like they were from him from what I could tell. I'm rather intrigued by these feathers.

Winged Knight:

"Armor of the Winged Knights, who swore themselves to the Angels.

Worship of the divine messengers was viewed as heresy in Lothric and unrecognized by any of the Three Pillars of rule.

This is believed to be why Gertrude, the Heavenly Daughter, was imprisoned in the lofty cell of the Grand Archives.
"

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
There's a couple of explicitly called out characters in the game who will probably be involved in the DLC

There's also one major loose end left to... Dispose of... Of the Gwyn line.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh God Nameless King is going to be the death of me. It's so frustrating getting through the first part of the fight only to be insta-killed and have to do the whole thing all over again. It's bringing back long repressed memories of Ornstein and Smough.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Where do I go after yhorm? I've explored everywhere I can as far as i can tell but clearly not

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can reach higher in Irithyll.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

for some reason I thought that was a dead end when i found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I really want the fists to be good, but I'm not sure I'm seeing how. Stuck with the cestus as soon as I found them and then upgraded to demon fists, I'm fresh out of the Pontiff and I just don't see how to keep punching competitive with all the other gear and goodies I find. Animation seems to be on par with stuff that does way more damage, they have poor range, and the poise damage doesn't seem good enough to keep people in hurting distance. Am I missing something? Is there a killer strat out there? PvE I can usually just roll in and mash since it costs so little stamina, but with PvP I'm reduced to taking lucky pokes, haven't found a good initiation or finishing move yet.
I pumped strength but have minimal faith and int, is that hurting the scaling that much for demon fists? they only had an E, figured no big deal.