Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Threaten war is the best. Not that it is a particularly effective way to get provinces unless you only really wanted a specific one or two, but it is just such an amusing way to bully someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

It's always good to see Brittany punch above their weight.

Those were Provence's provinces if you mean that Brittany beat France.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Those were Provence's provinces if you mean that Brittany beat France.

I know, Provence is still far stronger than Britanny, even without their vassal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

Its 1700, you have 120 years to get that province. If you can manage to not lose a huge chunk of land I'm sure you could come back.

If you really want to try to win - do you have naval superiority? You could use your navy to protect yourself from them invading other parts of your empire while you invade England (since their army is in Iberia, right?).

Regardless, with as much time as you have you could lose this war then spend the next 100 years blobbing uncontrollably then spend 20 conquering what you need from France+England. Also, threaten war is your friend if you didnt want to have to fight Tuscany.

I don't have naval superiority, but I could probably get it. I have about 200 galleys, which has been an overwhelming force up until now, but France and England combined keep coming up with some absurd number of heavy ships to beat my stack, even while it's in the Mediterranean (I haven't bothered checking to see how many they actually have total). Time to build a bunch of big boats... I guess?

Should I make this as painful as possible for them or try and peace out? At this point they basically want everything that I have in the Iberian peninsula (~10 territories) except Gibraltar, so I'd still have a land bridge

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Galleys are useless pass the first hundred years even in inland seas. They were useless before but they're extra useless now that there's a combat width in naval battles.

Just peace out and come back in a few decades for the Granada provinces, you got time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There's combat width in naval battles now? Well no wonder

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

QuarkJets posted:

There's combat width in naval battles now? Well no wonder

Is there somewhere that shows you the current naval combat width? I looked but couldn't find it in the interface.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ahahahahaha. gently caress you, AI. gently caress you.

New England Ironman. Manage to stamp down war of the roses quickly, get a decent ruler going after decades of he 0/0/0 clown. Declare war on France via Scotland...and it just ends as they become bottom bitch in a PU under GELRE.

Wait for the truce to run out to declare war again, declare war for Paris and all Gascon culture provinces...and then it also ends abruptly as they are now PU'd by Austria. Giant freaking Austria that swallowed all of Burgundy and most of Venice in a game where Poland said nah to the union with Lithuania, so no good allies left to fight them with.

History blows.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Galleys are useless pass the first hundred years even in inland seas. They were useless before but they're extra useless now that there's a combat width in naval battles.

I dunno, I liked building hundreds of the things as the Ottomans since all a navy was to me was a way to speed up coastal sieges.

Now that naval width is in, though, 22 heavy ships will destroy basically anything they meet.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm to 1550 in a Byz campaign and just realized I don't have the Purple Phoenix DLC for some extra missions and decisions. If I buy it now will it be compatible with my (Ironman) save?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Does Mare Nostrum add anything worthwhile if I don't feel like trying to unfuck the Byzantines? Recreating Rome sounds fun, but their starting position is poo poo and I don't think I'm good enough to turn the tide like that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MrBling posted:

I thought I was settling in for a nice long (and presumably difficult) Irish minor campaign to get the "Luck of the Irish" achievement but England turned out to be a complete pushover.

It's 1530 and I basically just need to punch England one more time and get that one island from Norway.

England has no allies and haven't had one since our first war a good 50 years back.

Most Luck of the Irish runs that don't involve Exodus to the New World end up like this because every province you take in the British Isles severely hampers England's ascent to major power.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

Does Mare Nostrum add anything worthwhile if I don't feel like trying to unfuck the Byzantines? Recreating Rome sounds fun, but their starting position is poo poo and I don't think I'm good enough to turn the tide like that.

You can reform it as any Christian nation.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

I don't think I get co-belligerency. I thought if I mark people then they can't call their allies. I was hoping to only fight Pomerania's two lovely allies and not half the HRE. I hope restarting early on is a hallmark of this game because I'm really bad.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

I don't think I get co-belligerency. I thought if I mark people then they can't call their allies. I was hoping to only fight Pomerania's two lovely allies and not half the HRE. I hope restarting early on is a hallmark of this game because I'm really bad.

Nooo marking people means they CAN call their allies. It also means you can take their provinces for not-double war score cost.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Average Bear posted:

Nooo marking people means they CAN call their allies. It also means you can take their provinces for not-double war score cost.

gently caress. Wow. No wonder I've had a few runs ruined now by biting off more than I can chew.

Thanks for the information. Guess Brandenburg will need another shot at being Germany (pulled it off once but patches long since bricked it).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Average Bear posted:

You can reform it as any Christian nation.

Or Pagan! For all the Roman fetishists out there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chump Farts posted:

I hope restarting early on is a hallmark of this game because I'm really bad.

It totally is, plenty of achievement guides literally open with "restart until these perfect starting conditions are met, and then restart if X, Y, and Z don't happen by dates A, B, and C". Some things in this game you simply can't do without the right start

On the other hand you'll probably have more fun if you don't try to achievement farm and just ride the waves of history

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The naval changes also seem to have buffed Quality ideas, that extra ship HP is worth a lot. Being up to date in Diplo tech to get the Naval Morale is more important too.

If just they stuck to the good changes instead of adding poo poo like corruption and states, and then thinking about loving up the game even more because of their lovely office MP tactics.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

States are actually cool and good though?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They would be okay if you had no limit or if the non-white primitives had the same limit

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
I just realised I have no idea why the paradox forums love Byzantium so much beyond "they're an empire". Does anyone have an explanation?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Konig posted:

I just realised I have no idea why the paradox forums love Byzantium so much beyond "they're an empire". Does anyone have an explanation?

An underdog with an ancient history that held off the Mohametan scourge

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Konig posted:

They're both True Romans and noble warriors who held off the Musselman hordes for eight centuries.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Last Emperor posted:

States are actually cool and good though?

I really like the way they've unified regular and oversea provinces in a way that makes sense, though. You can fully core everything if you want, but it comes with a price. I don't like the fact that there's a limit though, Admin points and corruption should be enough. Reaching that limit seems like it'd force you to become either a colonist or a trader, and that's unfortunate.

It's also an awkward implementation, I got a friend who just started playing after Mare Nostrum and it sure was a weird concept to explain. "Yes, I know the tutorial told you to just core a province and be done with it, but there's these things called states and you have to create one and then core it again or else your province sucks. oh and since you're playing the ottomans you might hit the limit so, uh, tough luck, maybe vassal feed or something?").

Elman fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 25, 2016

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Holding territories really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, once you've filled out "core" states everything else is just a cherry on top. But having 50% autonomy isn't as bad as, 75%. If you hit your states limit early on that's the game slapping you in the face to consolidate (*wait for techs, build a fat warchest, build churches etc.) I just wish they'd allow us to dump our estates on territorial cores, that way I'm not forced into seeding my core statelands to 25% autonomy.

Also I had no idea about the naval combat width, that really does make Quality much stronger then.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

8bitlawd posted:

Holding territories really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, once you've filled out "core" states everything else is just a cherry on top. But having 50% autonomy isn't as bad as, 75%.

Not sure if I'm missing something, but territories have 75% autonomy, not 50%.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

e: wrong thread

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Elman posted:

Not sure if I'm missing something, but territories have 75% autonomy, not 50%.

I think he means states have 50% autonomy until you create the full core.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I haven't played since Mare Nostrum came out, but now that Castile seems to implode more often than not I might give Granada another shot. What are the correct starting moves for them if I don't intend to exile myself? I understand Iberia must be primed to gently caress themselves over (Aragon-Castile Rivalry, preferably Aragon allied to Portugal) but what's next? I've tried allying Morocco then invading either Tunis or Tlemcen, but I can't fabricate any CB on the former and the latter always allies to Morocco before I get a claim. Am I supposed to ally Morocco and then no-CB war Tlemcen? I'm not fond of no-CB wars but I feel I might have to just accept them as a part of life for the harder achievements. When do you people decide to do one, if ever?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I did it a few patches ago by allying Morocco and Tunis, fabricating on Tlemcen and conquering them. Then I turned on Morocco and took their land while colonizing into Western Africa and Brazil. Castile did kick me out at some point though, I just had to come back later.

You don't need to run away to India or America, but staying in Iberia is going to be hard (unless you convert to Christianism I guess, but where's the fun in that?).

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 25, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Is it luck of the draw whether Morocco and Tlemcen ally? In the few starts I've tried, they always did within 3 months or so.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It is, but I don't remember it taking too many attempts. Maybe that's changed with the patches, though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm the Holy Roman Emperor in my Brandenburg > Prussia run. It's nice being the Emperor! I'm going to dread the reformation and the nonsense it causes me being Emperor, though.

Also, Poland is like my best buddy still, and I'm also dreading the day one of us stabs the other in the back, but they have territory I need for Prussia.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm the Holy Roman Emperor in my Brandenburg > Prussia run. It's nice being the Emperor! I'm going to dread the reformation and the nonsense it causes me being Emperor, though.

Also, Poland is like my best buddy still, and I'm also dreading the day one of us stabs the other in the back, but they have territory I need for Prussia.

I thought that too when I got Silesia and shattered Bohemia in the first war thanks to Poland, then they declared on the Teutonic Knights, dragged me in, got completed shattered, and lost me one of my core provinces. I restarted that because gently caress.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm kind of hoping we get in to a war and they lose the territory I need, then I can get it back and deal with a little border friction. On the other hand, even though they're huge, Sweden loves me just as much, and I'm sure I could convince Hungary to help me out when the time comes to stomp their poo poo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Deltasquid posted:

I haven't played since Mare Nostrum came out, but now that Castile seems to implode more often than not I might give Granada another shot. What are the correct starting moves for them if I don't intend to exile myself? I understand Iberia must be primed to gently caress themselves over (Aragon-Castile Rivalry, preferably Aragon allied to Portugal) but what's next? I've tried allying Morocco then invading either Tunis or Tlemcen, but I can't fabricate any CB on the former and the latter always allies to Morocco before I get a claim. Am I supposed to ally Morocco and then no-CB war Tlemcen? I'm not fond of no-CB wars but I feel I might have to just accept them as a part of life for the harder achievements. When do you people decide to do one, if ever?

I did this back in November and it should still mostly apply.

Eej posted:

I just did this a couple days ago (posted it a few pages ago even!) with the new 1.13.2 aggressive expansion numbers and it is very frustrating. If you want to stand in Iberia and fight here's the general idea of what you want to do.

This specific combination of things must happen: Portugal and Aragon must be allied, Castille allies Navarre (Portugal doesn't matter, if she does then Portugal will break alliance later), Navarre must only be allied to Castille or else France will beat the poo poo out of Aragon and Aragon needs to grab the mission to vassalize Navarre.

Sell your heavy ships to Aragon before the game starts for an easy 120 ducats and optionally sell your cogs to Morocco. Ally whichever North African nations you can. If Tlemcen isn't mad at you then you can ally them but be aware that will probably push Tunis away and they'll try to drag you into their war when they inevitably get attacked by their neighbours.

Fabricate on every Castillian province in reach and wait for Castille to get double teamed. Annex as much as you have claimed as well as La Mancha and Caceres. Release Leon from Caceres and feed them whatever you can't handle coring. Get La Mancha up to 10 production to rake in the sweet gold and then you should be on equal ground with the rest of the Iberian powers. It's important to stick to what you have claimed because the AE is insane when you make this land grab.

From here you can either try to ally the Ottomans which is only a mild deterrent or get a diplo advisor and shower France with cash to get an alliance. I just converted to Catholicism to get alliances and royal marriages and then switching back to Sunni later by conquering basically all of Sub Saharan Africa to get the majority for accepting rebel demands.

Anyway this is the one time I'd suggest save scumming an Ironman game if only just to save hours of your life dealing with lovely RNG. Do the autosave trick and basically when you see the stars align with the alliances and missions keep that save file as your "start" because I've spent literally 5 hours in one sitting starting the game over and over before seeing that setup happen again.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How do you save-scum Ironman?

More importantly, do I want to know :ohdear:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

No, keep your heart pure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

How do you save-scum Ironman?

More importantly, do I want to know :ohdear:

When you want to back up a save just make a copy in another folder before it gets overwritten, to restore just copy it back and load.

• Locked thread