Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I really want the fists to be good, but I'm not sure I'm seeing how. Stuck with the cestus as soon as I found them and then upgraded to demon fists, I'm fresh out of the Pontiff and I just don't see how to keep punching competitive with all the other gear and goodies I find. Animation seems to be on par with stuff that does way more damage, they have poor range, and the poise damage doesn't seem good enough to keep people in hurting distance. Am I missing something? Is there a killer strat out there? PvE I can usually just roll in and mash since it costs so little stamina, but with PvP I'm reduced to taking lucky pokes, haven't found a good initiation or finishing move yet.
I pumped strength but have minimal faith and int, is that hurting the scaling that much for demon fists? they only had an E, figured no big deal.

Babe Magnet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyHQct0VOLw

you come at the champ, you better not miss

I'm starting to love this weapon. Three chumps in a row (two of them were the same dude though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Yeah apparently you kill her to take the Ember, effectively becoming the only dude in a dark world who has an ember which makes you king poo poo of gently caress mountain.

Don't know if it's an achievement.

You only get the achievement for the Dark ending if you let it play out normally. That version is the only ending that doesn't give you an achievement.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
eBushido is officially one of the most retarded gaming metas ever and it only gets dumber as it's allowed to continue:

Oh look, we can get a kill, fellow co-invader. Or you can just stop all of a sudden and enter one of the sitting gestures while everyone else gangbangs each other... yea. PS: gently caress you.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Just because im bored atm, has anyone ever tried giving the *eyes of a fire keeper* item to the blind cleric girl that wanted to become a fire keeper?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WarpedLichen posted:

The difference is that if you go in for an r1 trade with a straightsword against an UGS in superarmor you just get straight 2 shot. Polearm users can still poke and space you fairly effectively while doing similar damage. I dunno, straight swords feels about the same as in DS2 except that you can win r1 trades against katanas now.

UGS superarmor frames are pretty easy to read if your opponent isn't lagged all to gently caress or having the weird lazy A model bug where they slide around without animating. The straight sword is fast enough to tag you before you go into the armor frames of the animation. Straight sword stam costs are also so low compared to UGS/halberd/polearm frames that you're like five times more mobile than they are when pressing an offense.

They're not unbeatable but they are undisputably the best single weapon type, largely because a couple of specific straight swords do way too much damage combined with all of the other cool stuff they have.

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldIxzYQ7nIw

Apparently poise is turned off either intentionally or unintentionally. You can hack a value to a 1 and make it work.

God, please let the current state of the game be 100% intentional re: poise. Lighter weapons being massively faster but being staggerable versus big weapons being slow and powerful but having armor is a good balancing mechanic and I really don't loving want a Dark Souls 1 storm of haveldads poising through great club hits while stabbing with a rapier.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She does actually become a fire keeper if you buy all the good spells. I bought some dark ones though and then she had an 'accident'.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I just started playing, and put my sign down next to the first bonfire in the high wall. Me, another white summon, and the host just stepped onto an elevator when a purple person (invader? I have no idea!) appeared and ran onto the elevator, causing everyone to swing wildly and fall off the elevator to our deaths. Even the purple person. That was great.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Schmetterling posted:

I just started playing, and put my sign down next to the first bonfire in the high wall. Me, another white summon, and the host just stepped onto an elevator when a purple person (invader? I have no idea!) appeared and ran onto the elevator, causing everyone to swing wildly and fall off the elevator to our deaths. Even the purple person. That was great.

Gravity: the ultimate weapon.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Make the poise changes, buff poison to compensate :getin:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

God, please let the current state of the game be 100% intentional re: poise. Lighter weapons being massively faster but being staggerable versus big weapons being slow and powerful but having armor is a good balancing mechanic and I really don't loving want a Dark Souls 1 storm of haveldads poising through great club hits while stabbing with a rapier.

gently caress PvP, it's really dumb that in the current game you can stunlock enemies with a straight sword but slower weapons 1) can't stunlock the enemy and 2) can't poise through the enemies attacks, which in turn just means they're close to worthless.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

UGS superarmor frames are pretty easy to read if your opponent isn't lagged all to gently caress or having the weird lazy A model bug where they slide around without animating. The straight sword is fast enough to tag you before you go into the armor frames of the animation. Straight sword stam costs are also so low compared to UGS/halberd/polearm frames that you're like five times more mobile than they are when pressing an offense.

They're not unbeatable but they are undisputably the best single weapon type, largely because a couple of specific straight swords do way too much damage combined with all of the other cool stuff they have.

The UGS metagame is basically not letting the enemy getting close enough to be able to attack you before your superarmor kicks in. Max range r1 followed by back roll is pretty drat safe. Straight sword with good stamina management can punish, but I wouldn't say they're indisputably the best weapon type when rapiers and greatshields exist in their current state.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Game shouldn't be balanced with invasions or pVP in mind you fucktards

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I don't even have the faith for the rewards, I haven't even reached the altar to turn them in, but apparently 8 AM EST while I'm having sleep issues is the freight train of assisting people kill the Cathedral boss, at level 54.

Maybe it's the pope hat, they know I mean business.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've always been bad at Souls PvP but got the covenant items pretty easily with +5 Yhorm's Great Machete so I think slow weapons are ok

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
No flip-ninja ring? :saddowns:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
no 'walk normal in deep poo poo' ring either

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

No flip-ninja ring? :saddowns:

"replaced" by the ghost roll ring (which doesn't do much . . .)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tallgeese posted:

Wait, that guy wasn't LuceChrome, was it?

A bit back but I didn't catch the name, sorry.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I AM BRAWW posted:

It's not really balanced with anything in mind right now, PvP or PvE.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Your Computer posted:

gently caress PvP, it's really dumb that in the current game you can stunlock enemies with a straight sword but slower weapons 1) can't stunlock the enemy and 2) can't poise through the enemies attacks, which in turn just means they're close to worthless.

As someone who has played through the game four times now with different builds, the PvE game works really well when there's an actual tradeoff to using light weapons versus heavy weapons and actually having to time your attacks instead of mashing buttons.

I have no idea what you're talking about about slow weapons being bad in PvE, you just have to learn to actually time your swings instead of flailing R1 at mobs like you would with a straight sword. My current playthrough was Black Knight Greatsword and Black Knight Greataxe all the way and it was easily my most entertaining PvE playthrough because of the insane damage two handers do in PvE. I killed Dancer in like 30 seconds because I was hitting her for 650 damage per swing. I guess maybe slow weapons that do low damage like spears or whips are bad in PvE but a poise change wouldn't help that in the slightest.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

As someone who has played through the game four times now with different builds, the PvE game works really well when there's an actual tradeoff to using light weapons versus heavy weapons and actually having to time your attacks instead of mashing buttons.

I have no idea what you're talking about about slow weapons being bad in PvE, you just have to learn to actually time your swings instead of flailing R1 at mobs like you would with a straight sword. My current playthrough was Black Knight Greatsword and Black Knight Greataxe all the way and it was easily my most entertaining PvE playthrough because of the insane damage two handers do in PvE. I killed Dancer in like 30 seconds because I was hitting her for 650 damage per swing. I guess maybe slow weapons that do low damage like spears or whips are bad in PvE but a poise change wouldn't help that in the slightest.

It would help in the way that the slightly longer range of some weapons could actually be of some use.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What's wrong with the European multiplayer servers? Four times now I got asked to bluecop but it timed out every single time. Then I swapped to the PETA covenant, got the same thing, many matches found but all timed out. Finally I tried using the red orb as dickwraith/mount makers/whatever the shitler covenant is called now, spent 5 minutes searching and finally got summoned into an empty world with a connection error message and got booted back.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

As long as they don't touch PvE enemies I wouldn't mind player poise getting an upswing or wearing beefy armor having a more notable effect. As opposed to "gently caress everyone nerf every weapon that doesn't required 32+ strength :byodood:"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I generally can't get an attack off with anything if an enemy attacks at the same time. I have to wait for the combo to end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kanos posted:

Right but there's no incentive to do so when fast weapons such as straight swords do comparable damage, far faster and far safer.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
*puts on 0.75 tonnes of black iron plate* ah gently caress this skeleton hit me with a knife. poo poo what wa si doing. gently caress im reeling, such force behind these blows

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Enemies already have proper poise. The player pointer is just set to 0 or whatever instead of 1. So it's not enabled for us and only us.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

Tradeoff? There's literally no downside to using a straight sword/light weapons, while heavy weapons are severally penalized in almost all situations. And for what? A piddly amount of extra damage per swing. You hit maybe 20% harder with a greatsword than a straight sword, while using 2x the stamina and taking 2x the time. That's not a tradeoff, that's just dumb :v:

e: as for poise changes, it would change so much. A big part of the appeal of heavy weapons in the previous games were the fact that they hit like trucks, which made trading blows with the enemy work in your favor. You can't trade blows in this game, even if you're mid swing and your 200kg hammer is right above the enemies head, if the enemy so much as tickle you then your attack is cancelled. That's kinda what poise was for.

Luceid posted:

*puts on 0.75 tonnes of black iron plate* ah gently caress this skeleton hit me with a knife. poo poo what wa si doing. gently caress im reeling, such force behind these blows

:yeah:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 25, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
My new favorite goofball thing to do:

summon two bros for a boss fight, then Toast. Refuse to move until they have both sat down and will Toast with me.

"brothers! Let us drink to our imminent victory!"

Some people get it right away, others I assume don't have a sense of humor. :v:

Goofball thing #2:

Finish a tough boss fight, then Stretch Out. :haw:

So question:

how are the fist weapons for PvE? My fisticuff run in DS2 was just about the only run of that game I really enjoyed.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Any idea when the DLC's are coming? I think I'll leave the game for now and return when they are released

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
To be fair, 70% is a p. High roll level.. They'd need to tone it down to like 50% or so if they enable poise correctly

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just because im bored atm, has anyone ever tried giving the *eyes of a fire keeper* item to the blind cleric girl that wanted to become a fire keeper?

I waited with the eyes up until she became a firekeeper. It never became an option.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Was there some new patch that introduced frame-rate issues? I'm getting lovely performance all of a sudden (and alt-tabbing fixes it temporarily, for some strange reason).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Oblivious posted:

Right but there's no incentive to do so when fast weapons such as straight swords do comparable damage, far faster and far safer.

Even my lovely +2 flamberge let's me scatter the average skeleton's torso right off per swing. One to splat em, one more to finish. They don't even bleed and it makes then a much safer non issue than my dust collecting Astora Straight Sword. I'm sure a straightsword would be more DPS per stamina (all 15 endurance worth I got), but even when going sub optimal slower stuff can clean house in most of PvE.

EDIT: +1 Flamberge says Hi, Abyss Watchers.

Luceid posted:

Yeah, this I can agree is annoying if you put in the effort for fatty armors without fat rolling. Though I've yet to be literally stunlocked even when I'm wearing just Heralds and a pope hat. which has been a pleasant surprise.

I would be so loving sad if they made fatrolls kick in at 50% again. A good chunk of my weight is filling all size weapons slots with something or other. And with +1 weight per Vit, even multiple low weight items add up.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 25, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

We don't really know that. Havel's gives 32 poise. With 64 or whatever was in the video you got staggered by broken straight swords in 8 attacks.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

At this point I'm convinced that the Darkmoon exists just to mock me.

After 40-something hours, I get my first "being summoned" message, which then instantly changes to "summoning failed" because of time-out.
Then, a few hours later, I get summoned to another world, and as soon as I spawn in it boots me back to my world because "errors".
Then, after a couple more hours, I finally get summoned for real! No errors or connections timeouts... and I spawn smack in the middle of a pack of Ithryll knights with the flame dudes. I'm dead before I can even blink.

I mean, gently caress.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

I would be so loving sad if they made fatrolls kick in at 50% again.

Me too, but only because a 70% roll breakpoint enables me to Fashion Souls to my hearts content and still actually play the game :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Jesus poo poo that poise enabled video. How did it ship this way and how kickass awesome have we all become at playing what is 0 poise playercharacter PvE.

HaB posted:

how are the fist weapons for PvE? My fisticuff run in DS2 was just about the only run of that game I really enjoyed.

I've got a claw user character and it's far better than in PvP because enemies take poise damage. Super challenging and wearing out the endurance bar, maybe better when level 50 and above with tons of stamina to burn and high upgrades. Range is weak. Cloro ring + Grass Crest Shield on your back makes a good start.

Cestus should far give more poise damage than claws because it's right on your fists those glvoes go, it's your entire body behind the force of each blow, next patch they should be kickass.

e: 1.04 nonregulation patchnotes out

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Trying to keep up with this thread is impossible, but I have a few stats/covenant/pvp questions.

I'm trying to finish out all the covenants for spells/rings before I move on to NG+ and I'm finding that my SL80 character was set up great for PvE but I'm having a pretty tough go in PvP for Rosaria/MM. I'm finding maybe I need to be able to swing the Estoc more than 6 times in one stamina bar? I keep reading the Estoc is OP and I have a +10 Chaos Estoc with 30/30 INT/FTH and I'm finding the damage is pretty lackluster in PvP. That or people are just pumping VIG at the expense of other things?

I got lucky with Darkmoon, and just kept that covenant on while I played through the game, and by the end had 30 proofs and 30 sunlight medals from cooping, so those two covenants were finished pretty easily. I got 10 dregs for Aldritch pretty easily enough, mostly by getting lucky with invaders. Tongues for Rosaria were pretty difficult, but I got 10 for the ring and will stop there for now. I think I'm way too high of a level to be a wolfbro now? I might not be able to get that covenant/ring on this guy anymore?

Mound Makers, well I want Warmth but I have no idea how to effectively get Vertebrae. Where should I be at SL80 that's not Anor Londo? Everyone there is all for honorabaru duels and that's not what I care about.

As for stats, I'm a pyro:

25 VGR
24 ATT
10 END
15 VIT
14 STR
14 DEX
30 INT
30 FTH
7 LCK (baseline)

I'm afraid of adding more sLVL since I don't want to outlevel any PvP areas. But should I be pumping up more END? VGR? I'm softcapped on INT/FTH and only went up to 14/14 STR/DEX so I could get a red-hilted halberd up to a Lightning +10 for some variety. But for PvP I have my Raw +10 Astora SS that I could put GMW on if needed, or my +10 Chaos Estoc, and my +10 Pyro Glove has gotten me a few lucky Great Chaos Orb and Chaos Vestiges kills. Carthus Beacon doesn't seem to last long enough to really be viable in PvP.

Any tips on where I should be purpvading or if/where I should up my stats?

Edit: Also, what rings should I be wearing for PvP as this kind of Pyro? I have on The boost pyro/greatly boost pyro/faster spellcasting/increased physical damage absorption at the moment...

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 25, 2016