Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Armour mostly being cosmetic apart from occasionally stacking resists was one of the great things about Bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Lvl 80 invade the bonfire behind ancient wyvern or lothric castle maybe? Before dragonslayer

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Armour mostly being cosmetic apart from occasionally stacking resists was one of the great things about Bloodborne.

Well yeah but dark souls and bloodborne armour have incredibly different usage

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I completely forgot your dropped your souls as a red phantom if you died. I just made a very unpleasant run through The Archives to save 1.4m souls.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Please correct anyone calling it "Dragonslayer Armor"

It's "Dragonslayer Armour"

actually im p sure it's armoire

dragonslayer armoire

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Your Computer posted:

Tradeoff? There's literally no downside to using a straight sword/light weapons, while heavy weapons are severally penalized in almost all situations. And for what? A piddly amount of extra damage per swing. You hit maybe 20% harder with a greatsword than a straight sword, while using 2x the stamina and taking 2x the time. That's not a tradeoff, that's just dumb :v:

e: as for poise changes, it would change so much. A big part of the appeal of heavy weapons in the previous games were the fact that they hit like trucks, which made trading blows with the enemy work in your favor. You can't trade blows in this game, even if you're mid swing and your 200kg hammer is right above the enemies head, if the enemy so much as tickle you then your attack is cancelled. That's kinda what poise was for.

Huge weapons have awesome poo poo like pancake and uppercut attacks that absolutely gently caress over many enemies in ways that light weapons can't; as an example, Abyss Watchers can be chain-pancaked or chain-uppercutted by a BKGS so they never actually get to attack, which is superior even to staggering them with straight sword flailing. Similarly, many bosses have very narrow "attack me now" windows where single powerful swings get a bit more value. Some enemies even have special reactions to being hit by big rear end weapons; the torturer shitheads with the HP drain gaze in the dungeon get knocked backwards and onto their rear end by great weapon hits, which means their gaze isn't affecting you while they're down and you can finish them before they get up. This makes clearing that retarded room with 20 of them way easier than with a one hander and means you don't need to range cheese it. Great weapons aren't as powerful as going full meta and picking up a dark sword or an estoc, but that's a function of those weapons being overpowered as holy hell and doing way too much damage rather than great weapons being awful in PvE.

You absolutely can trade blows with enemies as it is right this instant, great weapons have monster poise frames. I've poised through being hit by Sulyvahn's orange sword slams and through being smashed by the giant man serpent axes, it's just a matter of knowing when the armor frames start on your particular weapon.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 25, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kanos posted:

Huge weapons have awesome poo poo like pancake and uppercut attacks that absolutely gently caress over many enemies in ways that light weapons can't; as an example, Abyss Watchers can be chain-pancaked by a BKGA or chain-uppercutted by a BKGS so they never actually get to attack, which is superior even to staggering them with straight sword flailing. Similarly, many bosses have very narrow "attack me now" windows where single powerful swings get a bit more value. Some enemies even have special reactions to being hit by big rear end weapons; the torturer shitheads with the HP drain gaze in the dungeon get knocked backwards and onto their rear end by great weapon hits, which means their gaze isn't affecting you while they're down and you can finish them before they get up. This makes clearing that retarded room with 20 of them way easier than with a one hander and means you don't need to range cheese it.

You absolutely can trade blows with enemies as it is right this instant, great weapons have monster poise frames. I've poised through being hit by Sulyvahn's orange sword slams and through being smashed by the giant man serpent axes, it's just a matter of knowing when the armor frames start on your particular weapon.

this is all cool but his original complaint was very specifically about pvp so i think you guys arej ust talking past each other

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Butcher's Knife: Is it any good?
Or are my reinforcements best used elsewhere?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheQat posted:

this is all cool but his original complaint was very specifically about pvp so i think you guys arej ust talking past each other

I think poise in its current form is pretty much just fine in PvE and PvP and the primary issues that need to be addressed are tweaking specific weapon damage values, making magic less onerous to use without making it overpowered, and probably taking a look at greatshield stability.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I just got this today because I love Bloodborne so much. I didnt platinum BB but I got the 3 endings, thats more effort than I put into most games.

I feel like From Software have ruined other action games for me. Nothing else that I play is as rewarding or keeps my attention.

I put in about 5 hours today, I just beat Vordt with my sick rear end rapier. :madmax:

Hows the remaster of 2? I read that its 60fps, that'll be smooth as poo poo.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Veg posted:

I just got this today because I love Bloodborne so much. I didnt platinum BB but I got the 3 endings, thats more effort than I put into most games.

I feel like From Software have ruined other action games for me. Nothing else that I play is as rewarding or keeps my attention.

I put in about 5 hours today, I just beat Vordt with my sick rear end rapier. :madmax:

Hows the remaster of 2? I read that its 60fps, that'll be smooth as poo poo.

It's pretty cool but I'd play ds1 first if you can.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Only thing I wish I could do as a Mound Maker was go into the boss room and help them kill the boss

"Help" them kill the boss.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Poise isn't about big weapons and small weapons it's about armor you fucks. Heavy armor should have a point to it beyond shaving an extra 5% of damage off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The biggest difference is that Bloodborne doesn't have equip weight, so you really could just wear whatever weapons/armor you wanted without any sort of penalty and without it costing you any levels/rune slots/etc. If Dark Souls III is going to hang onto equip weight, it has to make the heavier armors (and, by extension, leveling Vitality to wear them) worth it for more than cosmetics.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

argondamn posted:

Poise isn't about big weapons and small weapons it's about armor you fucks. Heavy armor should have a point to it beyond shaving an extra 5% of damage off.

What kind of a scrub wears armor for non-fashion reasons?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Andrast posted:

What kind of a scrub wears armor for non-fashion reasons?

why can't my armor be both fashionable and practical?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If armor's going to be functionally (mildly) useless, then drop equip weight like Bloodborne did. Otherwise, Vitality and/or Havel's Ring just become a fashion tax, because it's not like anyone's going to willingly fat-roll.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

argondamn posted:

why can't my armor be both fashionable and practical?

You have to suffer for your fashion.

(I don't really disagree with you)

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I'm at the end of the game, right at the final boss, and I'm trying to collect everything.

I see there is a gesture from the pale londor shade. I summoned him and didn't get it. Do I have to do something else, or does it only drop when he invades?

What do I need to do to continue Leonard's quest and get the black eye orb? I got the red orb, talked to him in fire link, joined Rosario, and offered a tongue. Nothing seems to have changed.

Also, these covenant items have bullshit drop rates, and don't work. Aldrich wasn't bad because I got summoned all the time. None of the others work though, I hope they increase the drop rate. Heck, let people sell the items in ng+++ or something. That's more fun than grinding knights for 12 hours.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I dunno, I like dark souls weight and armor values

Except greatshield pvp people

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is that patch out now, or coming out today? There's an awful lot it doesn't mention, like autosummons . . . hopefully some stuff is just not in the notes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

I dunno, I like dark souls weight and armor values

Except greatshield pvp people

I mean, I agree, it's just that DS3 isn't really there with making it matter yet. Armor values kinda matter but not enough to justify the Vitality investment to wear super-heavy armor, especially with poise doing gently caress-all. I'd prefer if the armor system was something I had to care about, definitely, but since it isn't, I just wish equip weight wasn't around because that's just fashion tax right now.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Just started this last night. I've heard lots of people saying this is the easiest in the series, but High Wall feels significantly harder than any other Souls starting area. (That's good! I've beaten Demons, DkS1, and Dks2 a ton of times each, so I was concerned there wouldn't be any challenges left in the gameplay)

Why Anything
Apr 15, 2006
Because everything. Obviously.
After running through the game first time with the standard, very powerful longsword and shield setup can anyone recommend something that's different, fun but still reasonably effective for a second round?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Just started this last night. I've heard lots of people saying this is the easiest in the series, but High Wall feels significantly harder than any other Souls starting area.

It is definitely not the easiest. It feels like the boss fights are significantly more difficult than the previous games. Some of the fights, anyway.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

TheQat posted:

There's an awful lot it doesn't mention, like autosummons . . . hopefully some stuff is just not in the notes

lol if you think they'll fix that

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm so glad to hear that poise actually does seem to be broken and isn't just useless

Too bad it probably won't be fixed

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Kanos posted:

I think poise in its current form is pretty much just fine in PvE and PvP and the primary issues that need to be addressed are tweaking specific weapon damage values, making magic less onerous to use without making it overpowered, and probably taking a look at greatshield stability.

Other than a few weapons being outliers the biggest issue is probably just stamina drain being generally incredibly low for almost everything you do other than swinging Ultra weapons. Combat is generally too spammy, there's not enough of a penalty for just throwing out attacks or rolls or blocking.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

Just started this last night. I've heard lots of people saying this is the easiest in the series, but High Wall feels significantly harder than any other Souls starting area. (That's good! I've beaten Demons, DkS1, and Dks2 a ton of times each, so I was concerned there wouldn't be any challenges left in the gameplay)

Those people do not remember Dark souls 1 as well as they think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Why Anything posted:

After running through the game first time with the standard, very powerful longsword and shield setup can anyone recommend something that's different, fun but still reasonably effective for a second round?

Pyro?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

It's different, so if you're used to the slow methodical fighting of souls 1 and 2 it's going to take some getting used to. 3 is more about fast attacks, no poise, and lots of quick heals.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hommando posted:

It is definitely not the easiest. It feels like the boss fights are significantly more difficult than the previous games. Some of the fights, anyway.

It's not the bosses that are harder, for me. It's the areas leading up to them. A few of them kicked my rear end real hard and I can run through every other game in the series half-asleep. The bosses, for the most part, haven't been a huge problem (a couple are super tough for me, but most are fine), but goddamn some of the zones just hand me my rear end.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are there npcs that dislike you partaking in certain covenants? I know of Yuria disliking[Rosaria's Fingers, are there any others?

Also on the wikis all covenant rewards are at the +10 and +30 offerings ranks. Is this certain or speculation? In other words is there a possibility for an +100 or whatever reward?

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 25, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finally beat the game, glad I did Nameless King before finishing things up as it basically made everything afterwards seem fairly straightforward. I gotta admit to being mad as hell on the final Boss when I killed him with one estus left.... and then he just regained all his health and got super ranged combo moves! but on my second try I got him down. Got the Usurp the Fire ending, not sure if I just wanna jump into New Game+ for the challenge or start up a new character so I can try something different for a change (maybe sorcery?) and actually do the NPC storyline stuff this time.

Speaking of which, I loving loved the end of Hawkwood's story - that was a great encounter.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

double nine posted:

Are there npcs that dislike you partaking in certain covenants? I know of Yuria disliking[Rosaria's Fingers, are there any others?

It's actually Sirris, not Yuria. Yuria's fine with it.

I don't think there are any others.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Polo-Rican posted:

The difficulty has been up and down for me, up until Irithyll it was probably the easiest Souls game I've played but after that the difficulty was a vertical cliff until I started using a bow to thin things out and then it went to being hard but not that hard.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just attuned Soul Arrow and hit R2...what does that do? It just makes my staff glow a bit, what additional effect does that mean?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Just attuned Soul Arrow and hit R2...what does that do? It just makes my staff glow a bit, what additional effect does that mean?

You get a little extra damage on your spells while your staff is glowing--it's the weapon skill for most sorcery staves. R1 is how you actually cast.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

You get a little extra damage on your spells while your staff is glowing--it's the weapon skill for most sorcery staves. R1 is how you actually cast.

Thanks friend :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I've generally been running with Farron Flashsword attuned but I learned two very important things today in Irithyll Dungeon: Soul Greatsword 1) Goes through walls/corners and 2) Knocks those branding iron torturer fucks down

I can reliably make it to the chained giant bit without having a single HP drained. :dance: