Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Symphogear
This poll is closed.
Chris 41 39.42%
Hibiki 26 25.00%
Tsubasa 5 4.81%
Shirabe 5 4.81%
Kirika 3 2.88%
Maria 9 8.65%
Genjuro 15 14.42%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

and gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

sadly that is not going ot happen

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Patter Song posted:

To be honest, that's more or less where I'm coming from re: localization. I don't much care about the "censorship" angle, but I'd prefer a literal, subtitled translation that expects me to be a grown-up and look up references I don't understand rather than changing them to something they assume I'll get. How the hell am I supposed to learn anything about the culture the game's from if it insists on changing everything to American equivalents for my benefit?

I don't have anything against localized dubbed versions of things existing, I'd just really prefer having the option to play something in the original without having to buy a Japanese console, import Japanese games, and playing along to some crazy guy on gamefaqs who translated the entire script, and it's crazy to me that in the era of file storage methods with absurdly large capacity more companies don't just leave the original audio track in.

Patter Song posted:

I don't value "natural and artful," though.

When I read The Brothers Karamazov, the translation I read aped even Russian grammatical structure and provided copious footnotes. During the bit where Dmitri gets drunk with two Polish nobles, the book had him refer to them as Pan whatever, with a footnote pointing out that Pan, plural Panie, was the Polish equivalent of sir, a form of address to people of noble title. Did the book have Dmitri say "Sir?" No, they kept Panie and explained it. Did the book do something about people referring to those close to them by name and patronymic as a way of establishing closeness (Ivan Fyodorovich, Katerina Ivanovna)? No, it had a footnote. That's what I'm asking for.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

sadly that is not going ot happen

boo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

anime tiddy

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

he's right

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

He's right.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I like reading the wii u thread every so often to keep up on news, and I think the only time I've ever posted in it was because that guy was saying companies shouldn't bother with dubs pretty much ever and it was stupid enough I couldn't help myself

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

anime tiddy

Same

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i didnt read those

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Erg posted:

I like reading the wii u thread every so often to keep up on news, and I think the only time I've ever posted in it was because that guy was saying companies shouldn't bother with dubs pretty much ever and it was stupid enough I couldn't help myself

Again, he's right.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i didnt read those

Motto posted:

anime tiddy

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

Again, he's right.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

Again, he's right.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
*between bites of canned chicken filled with corn syrup* Uh I need the translations of my media to be as basic as possible. Reading is communist. Burgers are my right as american.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

*between bites of canned chicken filled with corn syrup* Uh I need the translations of my media to be as basic as possible. Reading is communist. Burgers are my right as american.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Davincie posted:

he's right

K. Flaps posted:

He's right.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's wrong

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

literal translations are lazy and bad

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Mommy mommy what that I hear! It's hurting my ears!

Cover your ears my child, that's one of the languages not backed by our global cultural imperalist regime. Here, eat this corn-filled United Fruit banana provided by CIA terrorism in Guatemala.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

Here, eat this corn-filled United Fruit banana provided by CIA terrorism in Guatemala.

:yum:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

Cover your ears my child, that's one of the languages not backed by our global cultural imperalist regime. Here, eat this corn-filled United Fruit banana provided by CIA terrorism in Guatemala.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
If the poster's just saying its what he prefers, then sure, same. But I don't expect companies to tailor to that, and because I prefer to know what's up I will spend my time reading that gamefaqs script online or, nowadays, just ctrl+f 'censorship' on /v/.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh i've never seen a "literal translation" of japanese stuff that didn't happen to be hilariously incompetent like TV-N stuff or CR/funi subs for certain shows

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

i hate you and your opinion but i lol'd heartily at this

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/ID_HC/status/724205151674757120

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i stand with my good men Erg, Terper and Motto, on this issue

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I always knew the Wii U would destroy the chat thread

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Sexy Akiba Detectives continues to prove why they're the best TL group around.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
People who complain about foreign honorifics are dumb.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Motto posted:

tbh i've never seen a "literal translation" of japanese stuff that didn't happen to be hilariously incompetent like TV-N stuff or CR/funi subs for certain shows

my favorite literal translation thing is when characters refer to each other by name in third person, like instead of something like "can you help me?" you will have "can Steve help me?" and it sounds dumb as gently caress

like i am sure it sounds really natural in Japanese, but translated verbatim it makes the speaker sound like a dumb idiot child or mentally challenged

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

he's right

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

K. Flaps posted:

Again, he's right.

But not on this one.

Guys, both options for translations should be available. It's that easy...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I just took apart my arcade stick and sanded down the vinyl art sticker so I can spray it black, only to open my cupboard and realise I have white, grey and green primer, but no black primer. :downs:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I've beaten the first DS3 bigboss guy. It was the first try after initially stumbling upon him. Could it be that I am a prodigy?? or was it just this dude's incapability of countering forward rolls. hmm

a cartoon duck posted:

my favorite literal translation thing is when characters refer to each other by name in third person, like instead of something like "can you help me?" you will have "can Steve help me?" and it sounds dumb as gently caress

like i am sure it sounds really natural in Japanese, but translated verbatim it makes the speaker sound like a dumb idiot child or mentally challenged

If this happens often my brain probably just auto corrects and I think nothing of it. I do think that translating when chars refer to themselves in the third person is cool though. "sessha"->"this one" in Kenshin was a nice tl, too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

K. Flaps posted:

100% true, for those who don't study history.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Space Flower posted:

If this happens often my brain probably just auto corrects and I think nothing of it. I do think that translating when chars refer to themselves in the third person is cool though. "sessha"->"this one" in Kenshin was a nice tl, too.

i feel that even scanlation groups nowadays have become a fair bit more professional so you don't see it as often anymore, but i still see it once in a while and it always annoys me a little because it reads so sloppily

it's just one of those things that highlight how silly the concept of "literal translation" is when you're dealing with translating between two languages with pretty drat different grammars and such

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Sometimes translations work better liteally, other times they work better when adapted to the target language. However, from a cultural perspective, learning about another language/ period, a more literal translation with footnotes is preferable. For something like Dangan Ronpa, a game based on fast reflexes, wordplay, and cultural references, it would be better to change it. But for Don Quixote or The Canterbury Tales, the footnotes give you more insight into the culture and time the works were written (and lots of great puns in Spanish that don't work in English).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Davincie posted:

Yuta is a normal high school boy living in a normal house with his parents, but his cat turned into a beautiful girl. His parents believe that the cat-turned-girl is a god that will bring great fortune to the family. Yuta has now been forced by his parents to marry his cat. Will Yuta be able to accept the fact that his future wife used to be a cat?

what are you doing parents

Still better than like 90% of translations out there.

• Locked thread