Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

They must have stopped at some point to get the coffin.

What coffin? There was a gold shroud. Even if they needed a coffin, ancient sailing ships carry timber for repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vanellope posted:

My question is why would Jaime have left Trystane alone on the boat though? Wouldn't it have been better/safer to bring him along and put him in the castle? Even if Jaime doesn't think Trystane was involved in Myrcella's murder, it makes no sense to me that he would've been left on the boat even with someone guarding it.

Jamie doesn't give a gently caress about Trystane and left him with his people to do whatever the gently caress. He didn't bring him ashore with him to meet cersei because he was in the process of rolling his dead daughter's corpse up to her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Space Pussy posted:

What the gently caress are the unsullied even doing

Are there any unsullied left or have they all been owned by the insurgency?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elias_Maluco posted:

Maybe one of the sand snakes snuck into the boat somehow? I vaguely remember one of then fighting with a spear too.

I doesnt makes much sense but then again whole Dorne plot made very little sense anyways

Just to say I called it and nobody thought it could be true cause is way too dumb.

To me seriously the only reasonable explanation to what happened in Dorne is that the writers finally realized that they had hosed it up and nothing made much sense and everyone hated it and decided to get to the point of it as fast as they could even if that meant making even less sense of it (and that's probably the point: Dorne is now commanded by Ari-Elaria and ready to make war with the throne)

Apart from that, the episode was ok. But it did felt like and s05e11 like someone said. It is amazing that they intent to shorten the series and still take an entire episode like this to move the plot so little

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 25, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They're freaking mermaids goddamnit.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Vanellope posted:

My question is why would Jaime have left Trystane alone on the boat though? Wouldn't it have been better/safer to bring him along and put him in the castle? Even if Jaime doesn't think Trystane was involved in Myrcella's murder, it makes no sense to me that he would've been left on the boat even with someone guarding it.

Would have preferred to see him being under Bronn's surveillance and then Bronn murder the two sand snakes to ruin Ellaria's plan and give the Lannisters the upper hand. But no, I guess they didn't have an assistant point that out.

Also, we have 2 families mostly extint right? (I am not counting Tommen as a Baratheon, and even if I did, I doubt he will last longer than this season). I'll be ok if by the end of the series, only the Starks and the Greyjoys remain while the rest of the major familie are gone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't think D&D feel they messed up or changed anything at all from what they had planned. I also think that they probably stuck as true to what GRRM told them as possible while still hitting the overall plot arcs.

You gotta remember, they're taking a half finished idea and putting a spin on the ending the author gave them. GRRM almost certainly told them that Doran, Trystane, Marcella, Stannis, etc all eventually eat it in various ways, and we're just seeing the adaptation of that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

radlum posted:

Would have preferred to see him being under Bronn's surveillance and then Bronn murder the two sand snakes to ruin Ellaria's plan and give the Lannisters the upper hand. But no, I guess they didn't have an assistant point that out.

Also, we have 2 families mostly extint right? (I am not counting Tommen as a Baratheon, and even if I did, I doubt he will last longer than this season). I'll be ok if by the end of the series, only the Starks and the Greyjoys remain while the rest of the major familie are gone.

The Lannisters aren't exactly hosed, but the Baratheons are. Jamie, Kevan, Lancel, and even Tyrion all still live and could technically have children to carry on the name.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think D&D feel they messed up or changed anything at all from what they had planned. I also think that they probably stuck as true to what GRRM told them as possible while still hitting the overall plot arcs.

You gotta remember, they're taking a half finished idea and putting a spin on the ending the author gave them. GRRM almost certainly told them that Doran, Trystane, Marcella, Stannis, etc all eventually eat it in various ways, and we're just seeing the adaptation of that.

If the sad snakes idea was always to kill both Trystane and Myrcella, why not poison both? That would have been a lot easier and saved then a teleport spell

radlum
May 13, 2013
Ellaria killing Doran and the Sand Snakes killing Myrcella and Trystane would have made a better season finale

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Thought it was a decent premiere. Sad to see the show still has the habit of giving great actors important character roles and then wasting them in a handful of scenes. RIP Doran

Khal Beta is my favorite character now, though

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Love Crime posted:

Whoever said it's reached Dexter levels

This is like season 3 dexter levels of not-great. We're not nearly at the nadir of final season dexter.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

In It For The Tank posted:

Seriously. Also, why did Trystane bother going all the way to King's Landing if Myrcella was dead? What was he going to do, site see while he was there? He also didn't seem at all bothered by her death either considering they were supposed to be in love with each other.

Dude, how can you mistake something so clear? He was painting eyes for Myrcella in a stupor. He was deep in grief, so much so that he wasn't eating. He loved her and was clearly bothered by her death.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah so, way too many posts for me to catch up with.

I assume the consensus is that other than Liam Cunningham doing his Sean Connery impression this episode was largely garbage?
Right? I'm pretty forgiving of this show because its just extremely entertaining fantasy trash, but that was a massive let down for me and I wasn't even all that excited for the shows return to begin with. Liam Cunningham is a treasure though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is dumb. In earlier seasons everything was plotted better, so that things fresh in the viewers minds were important to the plot and served to create tension and drama. Now we have major characters getting killed off, fleets burning, and nobody really cares.

Four-episodes king who never did anything is dead? Oh. Blonde Extra Daughter* has a nosebleed? Yikes, wonder what's happening to Jon. The fleet is on fire? What fleet? Did we ever see it? Did it ever do anything? Who's that guy? Oh that's the prince we saw for two episodes last season. Well I guess he's dead now.

That's just bad storytelling. If something important happens and your audience's reaction is, "That's stupid and also I never cared about it," that is very bad. I think people expressing their dissatisfaction with yesterday's plot are mostly upset because it was constructed with so little skill, not with the logistical details of assassination. Big deaths on this show mattered because we cared about the characters because the show invested in making us care. Tyrion burning the ships on the black water was horrifying because we cared about Davos because they'd spent a whole season making him the good guy of the Stannis plot.

The show is no longer putting in its dues like it used to and that's the root of all these complaints.

*that's unfair, she might had like 20 lines over three episodes before she bought it

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Apoplexy posted:

Dude, how can you mistake something so clear? He was painting eyes for Myrcella in a stupor. He was deep in grief, so much so that he wasn't eating. He loved her and was clearly bothered by her death.

I acknowledge that I had forgotten the significance of the eye stones, although suggesting he was in an emotional stupor might be overselling it. I do think that it was still objectionable that he didn't try to send word to his father (or turn the ship around, it's a Dornish ship after all) when Myrcella died about ten minutes after they set sail.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Maybe he thought it would be best to let Jaime take Myrcella home to be buried. Or if he was in some sort of emotional stupor, he might have just locked himself in his room and let Jaime, as the next highest ranking guy there, take command.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 25, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Expanding Mereen should be good this year though. They'll probably introduce a court full of people so they can actually have some palace intrigue (a season late, but better late than never), and then Tyrion, Varys, Greyworm and what'shernameex-slavegirl start investigating the suspects for the Harpy leader.

That and whatever's happening at the Wall should make for good plots. Maybe Bran just becomes an exposition machine. Could be a good season.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Arglebargle III posted:

This is dumb. In earlier seasons everything was plotted better, so that things fresh in the viewers minds were important to the plot and served to create tension and drama. Now we have major characters getting killed off, fleets burning, and nobody really cares.

Four-episodes king who never did anything is dead? Oh. Blonde Extra Daughter* has a nosebleed? Yikes, wonder what's happening to Jon. The fleet is on fire? What fleet? Did we ever see it? Did it ever do anything? Who's that guy? Oh that's the prince we saw for two episodes last season. Well I guess he's dead now.

That's just bad storytelling. If something important happens and your audience's reaction is, "That's stupid and also I never cared about it," that is very bad. I think people expressing their dissatisfaction with yesterday's plot are mostly upset because it was constructed with so little skill, not with the logistical details of assassination. Big deaths on this show mattered because we cared about the characters because the show invested in making us care. Tyrion burning the ships on the black water was horrifying because we cared about Davos because they'd spent a whole season making him the good guy of the Stannis plot.

The show is no longer putting in its dues like it used to and that's the root of all these complaints.

*that's unfair, she might had like 20 lines over three episodes before she bought it

The "logistical details" making no sense at all are just further proof of how badly this whole thing was written and presented

I have to confess I didnt even understood that those ships that were burning were the Yunkai fleet because I had completely forgotten that Dany even had a goddam fleet. And dont think that even she remembered it

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Space Pussy posted:

What the gently caress are the unsullied even doing

They're all in the whore houses being sung lullabys.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

The Dothraki dialogue was so bad it nearly unbelievable. Bad poosay-esque

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

radlum posted:

Come to think of it, where the hell is Bronn? If it turns out that he'd been guarding Trystane and was killed by the sand snakes off-screen I'm gonna be really loving pissed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

this_is_hard posted:

The Dothraki dialogue was so bad it nearly unbelievable. Bad poosay-esque

"Bad" random Dothraki - "Ha ha, I sure can't wait to gently caress that white haired girl in the rear end without lube!"
"Good" random Dothraki - "Same, but I like to talk to them afterwards. I am the progressive one."

:barf:

And then the whole Monty Python-esque hilarity of "things better than seeing a naked girl."

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

lezard_valeth posted:

Oh boy are you in for a trainwreck (possible massive spoilers) http://imgur.com/BPnVKH9

It sounds like a dumb fanfic but:

- It came a month before trailer 2
- It has just the right amount of dumbs to be considered a legit D&D plot

The wall of corpses was in a leaked image from the set, so knowledge of it doesn't mean much, also it's really not much of a wall. But more importantly, and what I'm keeping my hopes pinned on for this to not be real is Wun Wun breaking through a door is Castle Black in E2 or 3, not Winterfell.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

WampaLord posted:

And then the whole Monty Python-esque hilarity of "things better than seeing a naked girl."
That was fantastic though. If theres one thing I wish this show had more of, its humour to pop a hole in the self-indulgent and overly serious tone of certain scenes and pieces of dialogue. Trystane's death is a good example of this. Some ridiculous show boating followed up by him getting stabbed in the back of a head because hes an idiot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think I've ever seen a show bungle a storyline as badly as they did the whole Dorne thing. Did they even audition the actresses they chose? Because they're all terrible. That whole plot couldn't be a bigger disaster if they tried.

Gonna keep watching because I still wanna know how it ends but gently caress this show just gets worse all the time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

That was fantastic though. If theres one thing I wish this show had more of, its humour to pop a hole in the self-indulgent and overly serious tone of certain scenes and pieces of dialogue. Trystane's death is a good example of this. Some ridiculous show boating followed up by him getting stabbed in the back of a head because hes an idiot.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I agree that the show could use more humor, but to me those were pretty poor examples of humor. And the show has done it well in the past.

I'm also not sure how Trystane "show boated" before his death. He drew a sword and stood still.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't know if I would say "showboated" but he was overly confident and dropping "I don't want to hurt you".

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

WampaLord posted:

We'll have to agree to disagree. I agree that the show could use more humor, but to me those were pretty poor examples of humor. And the show has done it well in the past.

I'm also not sure how Trystane "show boated" before his death. He drew a sword and stood still.

I was really hoping he was going to have the sense to play dirty and stab the one with the spear first after having audibly chosen to fight the one with the whip.

Oh well. At this rate, Balon Greyjoy is going to sit on the iron throne just by virtue of the writers' combination of bloodlust and neglect resulting in Balon as the only living person in Westeros.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was honestly hoping that the moment Thorne admitted to killing Snow, one of the random Night's Watch brothers would just shoot an arrow at him, or at least try to go at him.

Loved all the closeups of potato boy surveilling the room with his new learned smugness.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a show bungle a storyline as badly as they did the whole Dorne thing. Did they even audition the actresses they chose? Because they're all terrible.

We know they did because the audition script leaked and multiple people here thought it was a fake because the writing was so bad

Those actors might be terrible but I don't think we are really able to tell anything about their ability when the source material is written so badly

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Nice! posted:

"This character dies" doesn't mean you have to write it as "This character dies because his brother's paramour is a dour bitch". You could easily write it so that they don't die, since the only people that really matter at the end of the series are Jon & Dany.

As an example - if you're given the line "McNulty from the Wire dies*", that doesn't mean you're justified in writing it so that McNulty run into a drug house guns blazing and sets off a propane explosion or something dumb like that.

*This isn't a real spoiler, don't worry.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I just remember an actually funny moment from this episode "Mutton. I'd like some mutton."

That's good Game of Thrones humor.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Nah mate, he definitely moved, because he moved into a position where he could get himself stabbed in the head like the idiot he is.

Show is still pretty bad, but at least theres bright spots like this to keep it entertaining.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Episode good, so what

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Some people clearly hate the show at this point and ill admit i have developed a seriously critical view since last season but i dont think that's unearned. Calling grrm the american tolkein is a stretch but he made three really good fantasy books, and two okay fantasy books that still rise above most of the genre. That's not a high mark to pass just saying. They managed to adapt the first three books really well in my opinion. Theyve totally mishandled adapting AFFC and ADWD though. that's not just because theyre harder to adapt. Their invented/show only content and plotting has been nearly entirely bad. Hardhome was loving cool and gave us some lore tidbits but otherwise let's be real, nearly none of the changes led to better storytelling, and served to really only make the show live up to "pfft its just tits and dragons" dismissals. I wouldnt have bothered with the shows or books if it was that lacking in substance. It can be better and its hard to not want to blame D&D. It might be HBO being inflexible or intervening. It might be that True Blood's writers have been ghost-writing evwrything since season 4. But we can do better and people shouldnt be as dismissive of angry people itt. Producers and showrunners are clearly loving up. Its a question of if it's still watchable, and if youve been reading these books since the 90s it can probably be difficult to watch D&D pull this poo poo.

This was just a premiere, and of the "clean up these sloppy cliffhangers" variety. It shows some promise to rise over season 5, and ill repeat my hopes that they're just axing most of Dorne. I noticed that Ramsay felt an emotion other than blind sadism so maybe that points to improved writing in the north too. There's hope. But i get why dudes are mad.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
How many times has the show done "Somebody looks like they are about to kill someone, but in fact a third party stabs them from behind through the skull/neck" because doing it twice in one episode is pushing it.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Like all fanfiction, the more it departs from the source material, the worse it gets. The writers seem to be caught up in creating a bullet point list of which characters do what and completey neglect to flesh out the small details that really matter.

This is not their world and it never was. Why was Davos so nonchalant at Jon's death, cracking jokes and sarcasm through the door to Allister? Isn't he supposed to be in emotional ruins from leaving Stannis to die, and knowing he was probably going to burn his daughter,whom Davos loves. Gimme a loving break.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's also gonna happen in the ToJ showdown.

Really the first time this happened with Ned and Jaime was so loving awesome with Jaime punching the Lannister stooge for getting in the way of a good fight, since then it just became a repetitive trope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Eau de MacGowan posted:

How many times has the show done "Somebody looks like they are about to kill someone, but in fact a third party stabs them from behind through the skull/neck" because doing it twice in one episode is pushing it.

It happens at least one more time this season.

• Locked thread