Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm so glad to hear that poise actually does seem to be broken and isn't just useless

Too bad it probably won't be fixed

I'm curious, what makes you think they won't fix it? According to that one guy it's just flipping a 0 to a 1 in the code. It's dumb but I can see stuff like durability being busted in 2 being harder to rectify since it's tied to framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm just giving them a hard time since they insist on rolling back things that DS2 got right lol

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

It's not the bosses that are harder, for me. It's the areas leading up to them. A few of them kicked my rear end real hard and I can run through every other game in the series half-asleep. The bosses, for the most part, haven't been a huge problem (a couple are super tough for me, but most are fine), but goddamn some of the zones just hand me my rear end.

I didn't have any problems with the areas at all (though Archdragon Peak was annoying), but there were like 5+ bosses in DS3 that kicked my rear end much harder than any boss in 1 or 2 did :shrug: Well, except my first ever encounter with Capra Demon, that took me like 40 tries, but to be fair that was after buying DS1, getting most of the way through the Parish, quitting for a year, then picking it back up again and almost immediately having to deal with Capra.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My favorite part about the capra demons is there's a hallway lined with dead ones right as you enter the dungeon area of smouldering lake

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Tracula posted:

I'm curious, what makes you think they won't fix it? According to that one guy it's just flipping a 0 to a 1 in the code. It's dumb but I can see stuff like durability being busted in 2 being harder to rectify since it's tied to framerate.

If it's a matter of flipping a zero to a one there's probably a really good reason why they didn't flip that bit in the release. I'm guessing the From bug tracker is full of bugs with descriptions like "Poise breaks horribly in combination with <X>".

Also, it's not something they can easily change at this point without pissing off a huge chunk of the PvP community. "Oh hey guys, we flipped a bit, PvP now works significantly different and your build may or may not be worthless now, have fun". Far easier to claim that this is working as intended, and maybe do some minor tweaking over time.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

From Earth posted:

If it's a matter of flipping a zero to a one there's probably a really good reason why they didn't flip that bit in the release. I'm guessing the From bug tracker is full of bugs with descriptions like "Poise breaks horribly in combination with <X>".

Also, it's not something they can easily change at this point without pissing off a huge chunk of the PvP community. "Oh hey guys, we flipped a bit, PvP now works significantly different and your build may or may not be worthless now, have fun". Far easier to claim that this is working as intended, and maybe do some minor tweaking over time.

I mean, I could see people being pissed because they preferred the current state of PvP - or rather because changing poise won't do poo poo to help the Estoc and Greatshield abuse anyway I don't think - but DS3 is one of the last games I'd expect people to care about having to change their builds. Putting together a fun build is like half the point of PvP, changing things up to open new options could only make the game more fun, and you get free respecs anyway, if less than you did in DS2.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

From Earth posted:

I can't imagine poise creating gamebreaking bugs, the more likely option is that they disabled it because they preferred it that way. Like you say, there's no way they "forgot" to enable it, and for better or for worse we're probably stuck with the current system.

In fact, has From ever made a major change to game mechanics post-launch in any of the Soulsborne games?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I want them to flip the 0 back to a 1 so I'm no longer stunlocked to death by someone poking me with a rapier 7 times (I swear the attacks are timed to where they can spam and still hit you after your roll) when my poise is 25+. As someone was saying earlier, there's supposed to be a "trade off" between big and slow weapons and small and fast weapons but there clearly isn't right now. Dark Sword, Broadsword, and Estoc are leagues better than every single greatsword, which makes them better than every other weapon in the game by proxy.

For everyone who's worried about "balancing the game around pvp" with this change you're actually getting additional functionality that may make your game more interesting with build variety because as it stands poise basically doesn't exist right now

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I recall them changing that ring that made you half invisible and untargetable in DS1. But I can't remember how long it took them to do it. I really think they should change the poise because at least then it might add a little variety instead of the incredibly stale meta we have only 2 weeks since release.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

From Earth posted:

The presence of respecs does help a bit with the "we changed a thing and now your build is poo poo" aspect. Beats the hell out of Dark Souls 1 on launch, anyway, where the overpowered Dark Wood Grain Ring and non-functional scaling meant that everyone built ninja flipping Havelmoms with Lightning Zweihanders and minimum stats to wield the weapons. Fix the scaling and now all those builds are crap, and you can't respec, either. In DS3, I dunno, they could just have the patch drop a Pale Tongue next to the Firelink Shrine bonfire so anyone who wants to respec can have a free one. Or a new "Very Pale Tongue" that lets you respec once even if you've used up all five Rosaria rebirths.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also, dudes, I don't think it's meant to be disabled solely because of the fact that there's several weapon arts that are supposed to give you poise and why would they do that if poise doesn't exist???

If the caestus weapon art actually worked how I imagine its intended, they might actually be worth using. maybe even... good???

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 25, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I want them to flip the 0 back to a 1 so I'm no longer stunlocked to death by someone poking me with a rapier 7 times (I swear the attacks are timed to where they can spam and still hit you after your roll) when my poise is 25+. As someone was saying earlier, there's supposed to be a "trade off" between big and slow weapons and small and fast weapons but there clearly isn't right now. Dark Sword, Broadsword, and Estoc are leagues better than every single greatsword, which makes them better than every other weapon in the game by proxy.

For everyone who's worried about "balancing the game around pvp" with this change you're actually getting additional functionality that may make your game more interesting with build variety because as it stands poise basically doesn't exist right now

Thrusting attacks feel like they have ridiculous range in PvP too which just exacerbates the Rapier/Estoc pain. I swear some dude with a Bident was practically hitting me across the map.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

Also, dudes, I don't think it's meant to be disabled solely because of the fact that there's several weapon arts that are supposed to give you poise and why would they do that if poise doesn't exist???

Maybe weapon arts that give poise are DS3's Pendant.

Miyazakiiiiii :argh:

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
So as a quick question, what is everyone running for PVP right now?

I am using the Ninja armor (no idea what its called kinds looks like Ryu Hyabusa's armor) Uchigatana +9(I just really love the duels with this thing. There really slow paced and if your playing with someone good it becomes about timing and punishing over extensions) and an Irithyll Rapier in my second slot for when someone decides to hell with honor. (nothing worse than chugging all your estus them doing the same but leaving one in reserve to gently caress with me. Time for a stunlock bitch.) Also grass crest is my often hand but that is mostly for stamina recov. I gotta tweak my rings because most of the ones I wear are geared towards PVE

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jimson posted:

So as a quick question, what is everyone running for PVP right now?

Babe Magnet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyHQct0VOLw

you come at the champ, you better not miss

I'm starting to love this weapon. Three chumps in a row (two of them were the same dude though)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

notched whip vs regular whip, what's the verdict? Stat-wise it seems like notched is inferior to the regular one but maybe I'm missing something?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how do i get back ot the dancer if i homeward boned out?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

double nine posted:

notched whip vs regular whip, what's the verdict? Stat-wise it seems like notched is inferior to the regular one but maybe I'm missing something?

believe notched has built-in bleed proc

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
akbf;lkhf;

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

Sounds like you're homeward BONED on that boss fight.

I honestly don't know, just saw the pun and went for it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jose posted:

Go to Vordt's bonfire, go up the stairs.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009
I had a weird thing happen a couple days ago while co-oping with ~MY GIRLFRIEND~ in Lothric Castle.

We were walking around near the door that leads to the Sunlight shrine in front of the Dragonslayer Armor boss fog when we suddenly hear something screech and die. "HEIR OF FIRE DESTROYED" appeared on both of our screens. I looked over at the bridge where the fight goes down and one of those skinny dragon-things was hanging out up there. Then I got booted out with an ember and sunlight medal.

tl;dr we got a free boss fight and I don't know what the gently caress happened :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

Go to Vordt's bonfire and go up the stairs. She's where you got the banner.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Biggest change/nerf I can think of is the shield you could make from the butterfly in DS1. It had a special attack that let you fling rings of magic. Problem was that for some reason it scaled with your main hand weapon and trivialized the entire game. Pretty sure that took a while to fix but they eventually did.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fal-Cone posted:

tl;dr we got a free boss fight and I don't know what the gently caress happened :shrug:

I'm pretty sure that's a bug that's listed as fixed in the newest patchnotes, so I guess you were one of the last people to experience it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Fal-Cone posted:

I had a weird thing happen a couple days ago while co-oping with ~MY GIRLFRIEND~ in Lothric Castle.

We were walking around near the door that leads to the Sunlight shrine in front of the Dragonslayer Armor boss fog when we suddenly hear something screech and die. "HEIR OF FIRE DESTROYED" appeared on both of our screens. I looked over at the bridge where the fight goes down and one of those skinny dragon-things was hanging out up there. Then I got booted out with an ember and sunlight medal.

in today's patch notes it says "fixed a bug where [that boss] could die before you engage it"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jastiger posted:

Sounds like you're homeward BONED on that boss fight.

I honestly don't know, just saw the pun and went for it.

http://i.imgur.com/ygKysh7.webm

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

What build are you running, homes?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wanted to try and summon Hawkwood for the fight against The consumed king but his summon sign is nowhere to be seen. What am I missing?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Angelwolf posted:

Butcher's Knife: Is it any good?
Or are my reinforcements best used elsewhere?

It's good on my level 15 invader, can only be increased in level and not reinforced, S scaling with strength at +10.

I just don't really see how it'll be hot at a higher level, seen lv100+ peeps with it. The weapon art is super handy though.

Lady
Jul 25, 2005

Lady Die
I have to chime in on the straight swords being extremely powerful to the point of oppressive. I used to use an Astora's Greatsword with my dex build for the longest time, and I thought it was doing a bangup job. Even in PVP, it felt balanced and I could land hits reliably and win fights. Then, a friend suggested I try the Estoc and Dark Sword. All I can say is, holy poo poo. Not only do they more damage in general, they just swing so much faster and because of the apparently lack of poise in PVP you can quite easily chain multiple hits on a guy, often even while hes rolling.

I preferred an UGS in DS2, but it simply does not seem viable in DS3 at this time. Also, I'm finding that 2 handing general does not or barely increase damage, is this correct? Definitely get more reach, but not significantly bigger numbers.

On another note, I've been looking to evolve my build a little into the magical. So far I'm running with about 40 DEX and about 35 END, with some points sprinkled in VIG and VIT. I've been using the pyromancy fire buff on my sword and it adds some damage, but not a huge amount. I assume it further scales with INT/FTH?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really curious how the balance changes will shake out in DS3. I think people forget how drastically DS1 changed from launch until the PC release, and the only balance change people seem to really remember from DS2 was the lightning nerf even though there were tons.

Then again, over at the DS3 subreddit people are already declaring DS3's PvP irrevocably broken and dead due to mechanical changes that can be boiled down to "didn't copy-paste DS2, also Estus is too fast."

Grimalkin
Oct 2, 2008
Twice now I've had red invaders who, when it became clear they were going to lose, ran away from me and returned home. Why the heck? I thought dying in an invasion lost you nothing. I didn't ask you to pop in, buddy! But now that you're here, the least you could do is see it through to the end. :nono:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HaB posted:

What build are you running, homes?

Away from my computer for a bit, I'll post my stats when I get back, but off the top of my head my relevent stats are:

24 Str, 12 Faith, 10 int, +3 Caestus, +2 Demons Fist

Can't remember health and all that but its not high. HP is 13 I think?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Azazell0 posted:

I wanted to try and summon Hawkwood for the fight against The consumed king but his summon sign is nowhere to be seen. What am I missing?

This being a souls game, most likely killing someone.
Like Hawkwood. i guess, since usually you can only summon people youve killed. With exceptions.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I hope they eventually fix poise as well as fixing Blue Sentinels and Watchdogs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grimalkin posted:

Twice now I've had red invaders who, when it became clear they were going to lose, ran away from me and returned home. Why the heck? I thought dying in an invasion lost you nothing. I didn't ask you to pop in, buddy! But now that you're here, the least you could do is see it through to the end. :nono:

They want to deny you the soul rewards for defeating them.

Lady
Jul 25, 2005

Lady Die

Grimalkin posted:

Pride. Also, they might not know they don't actually lose anything.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You could trip over a corpse and find more souls than you get from invading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've beaten the dancer and stuck the skulls etc on the thrones in firelink shrine. I can't see where to go next though. I've talked to people at firelink shrine but none said where to go next as far as i could tell