Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fans posted:

I got the original joke but I don't quite get the joke that's following the original joke. How deep a level are we allowed to let these run?

you're a mod now? rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
You people need to get out more.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Can you point out any specific instance of this occurring?

I can

Pissflaps posted:

I only tip when I don't have to get out of my seat for my order to be fulfilled.

Kegluneq posted:

Taxi journeys must be very problematic for you.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Haha, that's a good joke. Kegluneq gets a 5 from me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Taxi journeys must be very problematic for you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

for gently caress's sake is it another Flaps derail

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Tesseraction posted:

Not from me, that's a page and more of pissflaps being wilfully dense as a result of that.

What does one do at the end of a taxi ride, flaps?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kegluneq posted:

Not from me, that's a page and more of pissflaps being wilfully dense as a result of that.

What does one do at the end of a taxi ride, flaps?

One pays the driver then gets out of the car?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Pissflaps posted:

One pays the driver then gets out of the car?

So you'd tip him/her then?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Jose posted:

you're a mod now? rip

I told you bin-chat was the beginning of the end.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
What if the taxi isn't a car?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kegluneq posted:

So you'd tip him/her then?

I usually would yes.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Christ it's sperg central in here today

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

I usually would yes.

Would you also say that you'd be expected to leave your seat for the journey to be concluded?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Jesus this is painful.

The joke is you're stuck in the car because you don't leave your seat.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kegluneq posted:

Would you also say that you'd be expected to leave your seat for the journey to be concluded?

Yes. Much like how I leave my seat once I have finished eating at a restaurant.

The service in both cases has been rendered without me needing to leave my seat and therefore both are eligible for a tip according to my UK Tipping Code.

If the taxi driver asked me to fill his or her car up with petrol while he or she popped in for a bounty bar then that would be different.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
You sure won that one. Well done.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Glokta posted:

You sure won that one. Well done.

I usually do.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Tune into UKMT next week where we find out that Who is the name of the Man on First Base and there was no need for any confusion.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Edit: too late - pissflaps already made the same point.

But then you have to stand up to leave the restaurant after you finish your meal, it's not like they carry you in and out on sedan chairs.

I hate tipping though, it's a minefield of social anxiety. Do I tip in Costa if we get cooked food that they have to bring over? What about hair dressers? And I'm going for a massage on the weekend, do I tip? I've never had one before so no idea. Is compromising by tipping badly when I'm not sure whether to or not worse than not doing it at all? It's a stupid system.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hookerbot 5000 posted:

But then you have to stand up to leave the restaurant after you finish your meal, it's not like they carry you in and out on sedan chairs.

Well, yes. That's why how I arrive or leave is not a factor in The Code.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
on one hand, it's a page revolving around a dead horse so beaten that it's mince

on the other hand, it does discourage cooler-than-thou-whisper-campaigns-a-substitute-for-actual-argument, so props to Pissflaps?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fans posted:

I told you bin-chat was the beginning of the end.

Oxford are a better boat race team than Cambridge.

Scampi'n'Lemon is the best Nik Nak.

Dead horse mince should be marinated.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

tentish klown posted:

Christ it's sperg central in here today

Its sperg inside sperg inside sperg. On each level the pedantry is ten times slower. Its Piss-ception.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So in news not related to Pissflaps - why is it that the panel on Question Time is always Brexit supporters? Then everyone in the audience is a Brexit supporter too, it feels.
I can't get over the guy last week saying that the US wouldn't submit to a currency/political union when that's pretty much what the US was in the first place, it's insane.

If you just watched question time you'd definitely think we're heading for Brexit and there are no good arguments against it.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Well, yes. That's why how I arrive or leave is not a factor in The Code.

Yes, I was sticking up for you but spent too long typing to see you'd done it yourself.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Taear posted:

So in news not related to Pissflaps - why is it that the panel on Question Time is always Brexit supporters? Then everyone in the audience is a Brexit supporter too, it feels.
I can't get over the guy last week saying that the US wouldn't submit to a currency/political union when that's pretty much what the US was in the first place, it's insane.

If you just watched question time you'd definitely think we're heading for Brexit and there are no good arguments against it.

contrarianism

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I hate tipping though, it's a minefield of social anxiety. Do I tip in Costa if we get cooked food that they have to bring over? What about hair dressers? And I'm going for a massage on the weekend, do I tip? I've never had one before so no idea. Is compromising by tipping badly when I'm not sure whether to or not worse than not doing it at all? It's a stupid system.

Costa is easy: you had to go to the counter to order your sandwich so no tip for them.

Hair dresser is a tricky one i pay enough already and the manager does mine so i dont tip.

Tip the masseuse if you get a happy ending.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Guavanaut posted:

There's usually a flat fee per transaction of 20p or something, plus a couple of % on top of that. I think that varies between credit and debit though. That's why a lot of corner shops have a charge for transactions below £5 or so, but some bars seem to charge it as a flat thing for using a card at all.

There's generally a charge provided from both the card provider and the card reader supplier. Places sticking on a 50p charge and that is going to die out as more and more people don't use cash, I suspect most places will knock up prices a little and scrap charging.

Pissflaps posted:

Costa is easy: you had to go to the counter to order your sandwich so no tip for them.

Hair dresser is a tricky one i pay enough already and the manager does mine so i dont tip.

If I feel like I've had good service i will tip, after asking if the server gets to keep their tips, I wont tip if it goes to the company. We keep our own tips but each give around about a fifth to a pool that is split between glass collectors as they wont get tipped but are probably the most important job in the pub.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 25, 2016

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

EdBlackadder posted:

Jesus Christ that has changed. I can vouch that Moorings used to be a great bar but what you describe is nothing like the Moorings. Cocktails? When I went the only menu was for the beer you couldn't see in the fridge.

This is like hearing Bowie has died again. RIP Moorings.

Camrath posted:

Jesus- I used to regularly drink in the Moorings back in the early noughties, and totally failed to recognise it from your picture or description.

Amen!

Well I don't know what it was like in the noughties but I've been drinking there for six years and it honestly hasn't changed all that much- there's been a refurbishment, expanded stage area, and the cocktails are all pint sized tikis that are essentially excuses for shoving a shitload of rum together with something sweet tasting. The idea was to get away from the association with a "dangerous harbour bar full of bikers" it used to have and still has with some people, especially now that every other pub seems to be closing down. The usual crowd is still there though, and the jukebox has only grown its selection. Probably gotten a fair bit pricier though so might be worthwhile getting a regular's card.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

By that metric, so is the UK. I'm not sure that says anything for or against that currency/political union submitting to a further external one though.

Pissflaps posted:

How do you give them the tip?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Taear posted:

Much like when the audience was half junior doctors, Brexit supporters want to show up and argue their case while I've yet to see an In supporter who was enthusiastic enough about staying in that they'd want to flood Question Time to ask questions about it.

Question Time pretty much caters to angry people and the one saving grace of the EU chat is seeing people getting ridiculously emotional about things they clearly have no clue about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tip people if you would prefer not to have to do their job and you can afford to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Tip people if you would prefer not to have to do their job and you can afford to.
That doesn't always work in the UK and sometimes just gets you in even more trouble back at the station.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fans posted:

Much like when the audience was half junior doctors, Brexit supporters want to show up and argue their case while I've yet to see an In supporter who was enthusiastic enough about staying in that they'd want to flood Question Time to ask questions about it.

Question Time pretty much caters to angry people and the one saving grace of the EU chat is seeing people getting ridiculously emotional about things they clearly have no clue about.

I've applied twice to question time and they've said no both times, asking Pro-EU questions. It'd be nice to at least see some people in the panel refute what others are saying on there. It feels like it's Brexit, Pro EU, Brexit for every question. Since they've got the last word every single time, it's like they're winning.

And Gauvanaut - yep, we're one too. Plenty of places are smaller things that join larger things to have more power and it would be nice if the Wetherspoons guy was called out for his nonsense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It also adds an extra 15-20% charge onto basically everything involving a service position in my case because I would hate to do all of them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I would hate to do all of them.

I think you're thinking of the wrong kind of tip.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My father in law once said something about getting lots of tips one day at his job working at the dump, which really confused me until I realised that his tips came from people up there scavenging for loot (so basically people buying crap that other people had dumped)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

After my joke that one just sounds unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Tipping is a terrible principle that legitimises poor wages and forces customers to pay the excess while dressing it up as an polite extra bonus for good service.

However by not tipping you only hurt those being shat on already. It should be banned and staff paid better but lol that's not happening.

So you either don't tip and gently caress the workers or you do tip and help the capitalists there is no correct response sorry.

• Locked thread