Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Since it was praised so much i got wolfenstien tno and its been alot of fun so far. Only at the start of the game there were alot of locked doors I went past thinking I would go back to them later. Of course i couldnt as the time jump happened. I gotta search areas more before i leave them, as it seems you dont circle back to them later.

I enjoyed return to castle wolfentstien on the first xbox, its really similar, its fun eating food of tables and dog dishes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shnag posted:

Since it was praised so much i got wolfenstien tno and its been alot of fun so far. Only at the start of the game there were alot of locked doors I went past thinking I would go back to them later. Of course i couldnt as the time jump happened. I gotta search areas more before i leave them, as it seems you dont circle back to them later.

I enjoyed return to castle wolfentstien on the first xbox, its really similar, its fun eating food of tables and dog dishes again.

Those are probably enemy spawners for when alarms go off, not rooms youre supposed to enter

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Grey posted:

I wanted to play Mark of Kri when it first came out but never got around to it. I generally don't play PS2 games now because it's hard to step back so far graphically. However, I noticed the Sony store said Mark of Kri is upscaled to 1080p for the PS4. Can I expect that to make much of a difference, or will it still just look like a PS2 game?

Going from 480i to 1080p is definitely doing the game a few favors, but it still looks like a PS2 game. MoK is really stylized though, so it doesn't look too bad. It's an earlier game too, but I'm having some fun with it at least.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Real hurthling! posted:

Those are probably enemy spawners for when alarms go off, not rooms youre supposed to enter

Some might have been just that, its easier just to focus on the question marks on the map when tried to find everything. Its great how well both stealth and going in shoot is in this game. I've been playing on hard/Bring em on so far.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Is Killzone worth grabbing for 8 bucks along with Wolfenstein? I liked the last few but the vita one is my favorite by far. It seems like a good price for it but it also kind of feels like it'll be a PS+ game someday. Same with The Order, really.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Overlord K posted:

Is Killzone worth grabbing for 8 bucks along with Wolfenstein? I liked the last few but the vita one is my favorite by far. It seems like a good price for it but it also kind of feels like it'll be a PS+ game someday. Same with The Order, really.

Vita killzone is the best one imo

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Is Short Peace on ps3 any good? I'm down for side scrolling action, but what exactly is it?

Saoshyant posted:

It's a weird experiment between six (IIRC) anime films and an endless runner. Not for everyone, but I liked it enough since I got it for like 4 and it didn't overstay its welcome.

Four short films, but yeah, I agree with this. They're all pretty good, the latter two have some awesome action. The unifying theme is simply "Japan," and the game definitely uses it as an adjective. There are also quite a few animated cinematics in the game, in a variety of styles, which help make it feel like part of the overall project versus some weird standalone thingy. But yeah, it's basically Bit.Trip Runner without the musical component and less punishing difficulty (and a little variety, because it wouldn't be Suda51 if he didn't suddenly mix things up at some point.)

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Huh, didn't realize it was one of his projects. Well might end up with that eventually. In the meantime I've got Phantom Pain and the Saboteur to chew through thanks to recent celebration gifts.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wait is Sabetor digital now? I thought there was some licensing issue or was that just for the boobie dlc

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Wait is Sabetor digital now? I thought there was some licensing issue or was that just for the boobie dlc

It always been digital, but it only on Origin.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

My bad, I got a physical copy when I went to get some psn funbux.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
dunno what y'alls complaining about about sleepy dogs on ps4, i have not run into framerate issues yet

man alien is pretty tense i havent even seen the alien yet and i am spooked

how's tomb raider? i already beat it but enjoyed it very much, figured it might be worth playing again especially for seven and a half bones. does it run deece?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The only jank in Sleeping Dogs I ever encountered involves reversing in vehicles, it gets really jaggy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

John Romero posted:

dunno what y'alls complaining about about sleepy dogs on ps4, i have not run into framerate issues yet

man alien is pretty tense i havent even seen the alien yet and i am spooked

how's tomb raider? i already beat it but enjoyed it very much, figured it might be worth playing again especially for seven and a half bones. does it run deece?

if you drive too fast the fps gets rough around loading zones. otherwise its just a straight port and people expected enhancements i bet.

the alien is pretty scary when you see him, i hope his ai doesn't immediately poo poo the bed and ruin it for you though. he does some dopey poo poo sometimes.

tomb raider is good on ps4. runs great looks amazing - that radio tower climb blew me away visually

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So The Evil Within is only $20. I've had an itch for survival horror for a while. Is it worth getting? Is it at least better than RE6?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Forceholy posted:

So The Evil Within is only $20. I've had an itch for survival horror for a while. Is it worth getting? Is it at least better than RE6?

i liked it more than re6

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I liked the Evil Within a lot and even started ng+ immediately after beating it. I love Resident Evil games too and thought 6 was ok and probably only fun because a buddy and I binged through it on professional and riffing on the game over a weekend.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
So is dishonored definitive edition worth the $16? Seems to be a well reviewed game that's pretty much a direct port of the ps3 version, which is fine as I've never played it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Outlaw Mailman posted:

So is dishonored definitive edition worth the $16? Seems to be a well reviewed game that's pretty much a direct port of the ps3 version, which is fine as I've never played it.

If you've never played Dishonored, it's absolutely worth $16 as it's one of the best games ever made.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I only played Dishonored recently and was pretty unimpressed. One of the best games ever is a stretch, maybe more revolutionary when it was new. That said, worth a shot at $16.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Outlaw Mailman posted:

It is everything Thief (the 2014 version) should have been.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Forceholy posted:

I guess it's better survival horror than RE6 but it's a worse game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Dishonored is okay for sub-$20 but it's neither one of the best games ever made, NOR what Theif should have been. It's a surprisingly restrictive (once you learn how the game works) steampunk assassination stealth shooter. Instead of being a cool game like Hitman where you're thrown into a level and told to kill people, it's a slave to its underwhelming and terrible story. The gameplay's fun for a few levels while it's still trying its magic assassin thing but it quickly grows stale and you'll find yourself enjoying the party level as its highlight until you realize how THAT works and you'll just wish the developers had expanded on the stealth mechanics that much more.

If you haven't played it watch some gameplay videos and then if you still want it $16 is an okay price, especially if that includes the DLC.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I thought it was fun but I guess I'm wrong since I never learned how it works and ruined it for myself...

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Dishonored is okay for sub-$20 but it's neither one of the best games ever made, NOR what Theif should have been. It's a surprisingly restrictive (once you learn how the game works) steampunk assassination stealth shooter. Instead of being a cool game like Hitman where you're thrown into a level and told to kill people, it's a slave to its underwhelming and terrible story. The gameplay's fun for a few levels while it's still trying its magic assassin thing but it quickly grows stale and you'll find yourself enjoying the party level as its highlight until you realize how THAT works and you'll just wish the developers had expanded on the stealth mechanics that much more.

If you haven't played it watch some gameplay videos and then if you still want it $16 is an okay price, especially if that includes the DLC.

I'm not sure I fully understand this post. Is this another one of those emergent gameplay things where the technically easiest way to do things is also the least interesting, so that ruins the game somehow?

I thought Dishonored was a lot of fun, and that the story was good enough for what it needed to be. I'm also looking forward to 2, whenever that's coming out.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dishonored is good and fun and goons, as ever, are the worst.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Basically it's a stealth game that isn't Hitman Blood Money so all the people who like Hitman Blood Money way too much have to come out and piss on it

It's good

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's not "what Thi4f should have been" because Dishonored is very different to Thief in how it plays, but it's still extremely good.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Is Manhunt any good? I never played it when it was originally released.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SpacePig posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand this post. Is this another one of those emergent gameplay things where the technically easiest way to do things is also the least interesting, so that ruins the game somehow?

I thought Dishonored was a lot of fun, and that the story was good enough for what it needed to be. I'm also looking forward to 2, whenever that's coming out.

My problem with Dishonored is that they do the Deus Ex: HR thing where they claim that you can play it any way you like but they incentivize non-lethal. If you kill people they make a big deal about how you're making the world worse up to giving you a bad ending. They also put way more effort into the story bits for the non-lethal removal of targets. All in all that stuff ties together to make you feel like if you're playing it lethal you're playing it "wrong."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

My problem with Dishonored is that they do the Deus Ex: HR thing where they claim that you can play it any way you like but they incentivize non-lethal. If you kill people they make a big deal about how you're making the world worse up to giving you a bad ending. They also put way more effort into the story bits for the non-lethal removal of targets. All in all that stuff ties together to make you feel like if you're playing it lethal you're playing it "wrong."

Okay, but non-lethal was a last-minute addition to the game, the gadgets and spells are almost entirely lethal, the high chaos endings are the ones that obviously make sense given the plot (where the low chaos one does not), and a non-lethal/ghosting playthrough is actually much more boring than one where you don't worry about killing people because you only have access to a handful of tools, so they actually don't emphasise non-lethal play at all. :confused:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Is Manhunt any good? I never played it when it was originally released.

meh, i remeber not liking it. it's a stealth game with brutal takedowns that gives you very little freedom in how to handle levels.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Dishonored's one big design flaw is that it's way more fun if you don't try to non-lethally ghost it and instead use the many fun tools the game hands you to escape if you're spotted.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Non-lethal also invariably means consigning your targets to an absurdly evil fate. And don't you not get the high chaos ending unless you kill the majority of everyone you come across including the lowliest guard and most innocent bystander?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Non-lethal also invariably means consigning your targets to an absurdly evil fate. And don't you not get the high chaos ending unless you kill the majority of everyone you come across including the lowliest guard and most innocent bystander?

You have to kill more than 20% of the population of any given level to get high chaos on that level, and you have to get high chaos on the majority of levels to get the high chaos ending.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

playing Dishonored either way was fun, there were plenty of ways you could do fun poo poo with your possessions, rat distractions, and time warps instead of killing people. Of course, even if you need to kill some people it doesn't lock you out of the "good" non-killer route so it's not a big deal. I wouldn't compare it to Hitman in a zillion years, either--game is nothing like Hitman. For instance, you can't keep dropping coins like a retard and have NPCs treat you like a criminal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TszcDRfupQA

Dishonored is an awesome game for many reasons but I wouldn't call it a sandbox assassination game. It gives you a shitload of options about how to approach things but there are really only 3 or maybe 4 ways to really go about most levels. Doesn't change how great it feels to play it though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In fairness I think the secret service would be all over someone throwing coins around weirdly at a presidential appearance.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

Dishonored is an awesome game for many reasons but I wouldn't call it a sandbox assassination game. It gives you a shitload of options about how to approach things but there are really only 3 or maybe 4 ways to really go about most levels. Doesn't change how great it feels to play it though.

I don't remember it ever being marketed as a sandbox, either. It's a mission-based stealth game, like the Thief games, with level design that's similar for the most part.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 25, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dark souls 3 season pass is available now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
For what it's worth, I grew bored with Dishonored's story and mechanics by the fourth level. It's fun to teleport around for a while but then it grows pretty stale.

• Locked thread