Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Shelvocke posted:

Thanks, we're actually okay. Girlfriend can't jog on her knee yet, and I can't raise my right arm above my head, but overall we were really lucky. Armour in our clothes was cracked and the leather was pretty caked, but I cannot stress how much it saved us. My spine protector was basically in two.

Picked up a dirtbike last week, feels good to get back on, albeit much more slowly. Wear a beefier armour now, too.
Jesus. Good to hear you guys are relatively OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
What were you wearing?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
drat, I'm so glad this story has a very happy ending considering. Get well soon.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Dutymode posted:

What were you wearing?

Yea would love to know the specific gear you had

Glad you're both doing ok, safety gear is an amazing thing

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Grats on the being alive thing, grats X2 on the house.

And yeah, I got a bunch of my gear here on CA, having crash tested some of it, there isn't a day im not grateful.

Snapped in two spine protector!!!!

Ffs, congrats a third time!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Wrecked my FZ07 last Tuesday. 2-up with my fiancée, narrow 2 lane road coming back from the country, deep ditches on either side. Riding at 50kph, and a big black lab flies out right into our path with no time for me to react. It seemed to happen instantly. I smoke the big bastard and go flying over the bars, hit the ground head first and was knocked out for a few minutes, woke up surrounded by EMTs.

I have a broken left hand, 7 broken ribs, right clavicle broken clean through in 2 places, rashed up right knee, ultra-bruised right hip, lacerated liver (tiny, no big deal) and right lung contusion. Fiancée just has a few bruises and a fractured thumb.

We were both geared up head to toe and if I was able to take pics I would. They'll come in good time.

Always wear all of your loving gear. I wouldn't have a face left if I had a 3/4 or half helmet on.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Holy poo poo dude. :magical: Hope you heal up fast.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
God drat, dude. That is terrible and I can't believe you took so much abuse from a relatively low speed off. :smith: Do you know if the bike or your fiance landed on you? Also, when you're feeling up to it, pics of your gear and a list of what you were wearing (and your fiance's gear as well! She got off pretty easy from the sound of it and I am always looking for good women's gear for my fiance.) would be really cool. It's nice to know what works and what doesn't.

Best of luck healing up. I hope they at least gave you something good to ignore the rib pain.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

VERTiG0 posted:

right clavicle broken clean through in 2 places

:stonkhat:

I hear this is just the worst in terms of non-compound fractures. Glad you're both not dead.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

God dammit that sucks all around.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is so much damage. Wow. I'm really sorry to hear that that happened, and hope that it isn't too frustrating for you. I hope you both get a speeding recovery.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

Wrecked my FZ07 last Tuesday. 2-up with my fiancée, narrow 2 lane road coming back from the country, deep ditches on either side. Riding at 50kph, and a big black lab flies out right into our path with no time for me to react. It seemed to happen instantly. I smoke the big bastard and go flying over the bars, hit the ground head first and was knocked out for a few minutes, woke up surrounded by EMTs.

I have a broken left hand, 7 broken ribs, right clavicle broken clean through in 2 places, rashed up right knee, ultra-bruised right hip, lacerated liver (tiny, no big deal) and right lung contusion. Fiancée just has a few bruises and a fractured thumb.

We were both geared up head to toe and if I was able to take pics I would. They'll come in good time.

Always wear all of your loving gear. I wouldn't have a face left if I had a 3/4 or half helmet on.

drat man.

Hope you heal up quick, sounds like you got pretty banged up - Hopefully you don't have any lasting pain.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat, that sounds horrible, Vertigo. And no chance to avoid something like that either. Hope you recover quickly!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
god drat, glad you're alright. Get well soon.

Is the lab ok??

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
RIP black lab. Here's my gear report:

Helmet: Icon Alliance Dark. 10/10. No head injuries, no pain, nothing. Must've hit the ground first where that spot is on the right side and went unconscious. Checked out by brain docs and no problems. Would buy again.

Jacket: Alpinestars Stunt2 Leather. 10/10. Heavy, quality leather jacket did not wear through at all in any places. Would buy another Astars leather jacket (Stunt2 long discontinued).

Gloves: Held Evo-Thrux. 7/10. Broke metacarpal #2 on the left hand, must've whacked my hand down on the road super hard. I don't think any glove could've prevented that, just glad there isn't more damage. Would probably buy again.

Pants: Alpinestars Oxygen Air. 3/10. Shredded like crazy, knee armour does not stay in place. Rashed my right knee up quite badly. Would not cheap out with textile anything ever again. gently caress these pants, this was just a 50kph off. At highway speeds these would disintegrate.

Boots: Alpinestars SMX-6. Not really a crash involving boots so much but they wore nearly through on the left toe. Dunno how other, nicer boots are put together but these seemed okay. Would buy again if on sale.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

VERTiG0 posted:

Pants: Alpinestars Oxygen Air. 3/10. Shredded like crazy, knee armour does not stay in place. Rashed my right knee up quite badly. Would not cheap out with textile anything ever again. gently caress these pants, this was just a 50kph off. At highway speeds these would disintegrate.

I have this vague suspicion my rev'it airwaves would do the same wrt the armour shifting. One or two cinch straps in the general knee area would be a great feature on any overtrousers. Paging Inu, does such a thing even exist?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How do you guys feel about the over-the-pants knee / shin guard things? It looks like they're mostly for dirt use though?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

A MIRACLE posted:

How do you guys feel about the over-the-pants knee / shin guard things? It looks like they're mostly for dirt use though?

Alpinestars, Icon, EVS and other manufacturers make street oriented knee and elbow armor. IMO they'll probably protect your knee better than the floppy armor in most overpants.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

A MIRACLE posted:

I have some that I wear under pants. I like them a lot. They are good for dirt riding but I wear them on street too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well I only wear jeans right now, even on the interstate and stuff. I would totally be down with some knee guards if they are a valid option

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

if they are a valid option

good news they're valid, go buy some armor please

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Do you think you would have seen the black dog in the shadows if you were wearing a clear visor instead of one of those silly tinted ones?

+1 to Knee strap ons

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
Long time reader of the forum, first post is of a crash.

I bought a 650r off of a friend a month ago after not riding regularly for a year since I moved to the Bay Area. Riding in Santa Cruz, I came up to a red light on a one lane road, went to pull a U-Turn and was hit by a driver trying to pass all of the cars to get to a left turn only lane up ahead.

Car hit my front tire only, going slowly, but the bike fell on my leg and broke my tibia near the knee, non-displaced, and caused a spiral fibula fracture. In a half boot, awaiting an MRI to check my knee that I think has ligament damage from being caught between the bike and the car and trying to get up. The type of fracture also may indicate such an injury.

I've been riding for 8 years and have not been in an accident before. Laid up for at least a couple months with the breaks and hoping that I don't require any surgery for the knee. Cant wait to start riding again, but I don't know if I'll stay in San Francisco or move elsewhere in the Bay Area or back to NJ

Definitely could have avoided the accident, but being in an unfamiliar place and not being cautious enough was all it took. I don't have pics because I was taken from the accident in an ambulance as I couldn't walk and was alone, but I was in a leather track jacket, boots, gloves and a helmet.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

VERTiG0 posted:

Aw poo poo dude!

Glad you're both relatively okay, rest up, take care, get well soon.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

VERTiG0 posted:

loving hell, man. Glad to hear you and your fiancee are alive at least. Definitely making me think about speeding up on upgrading my gear as I daily drive in a city and neighborhood with lots of strays (usually black and lab sized).

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Do you think you would have seen the black dog in the shadows if you were wearing a clear visor instead of one of those silly tinted ones?

can you see anything through the thick cloud of farts surrounding you?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

:stonkhat:

I hear this is just the worst in terms of non-compound fractures. Glad you're both not dead.

Honestly it's not that bad. I was squidding it up on my BMX in sandals when one broke, my foot slipped into the chain, and I went endo.

WRECKED my collarbone in a couple places and spent the better part of the afternoon trying to figure out whether or not I wanted to pay for a hospital visit.

I even carried my bike back on my good shoulder and held the door for a couple ladies coming into the dorm before the shock wore off.

Vertigo, that sounds like the bike landed on you. Sorry for the poo poo luck, hope you heal up quick.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

my foot slipped into the chain

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NO NO NO NONO :froggonk:

gently caress the collarbone, how in the hell did you just walk THAT poo poo of?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

He's actually missing his foot and walks around on a pirate pegleg now.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

I mean that would still hurt, maybe a lot, but it's not like ripping your foot off

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Welp I finally bailed for the first time this morning. It was -4 and a bridge was covered in ice. I had no chance, I wasn't even angled, the bike just came out from under me. KLR so only some minor damage incurred. And I'm 100% except for reinjurring a recently broken finger from lifting the bike. The best part was I have been riding this whole winter with studs on my tire. Ice wasn't a problem until I decided to change into my summers last week...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I know the spring hasn't ben too kind on us but -4 is just not right.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

ask me about riding in -18 weather :getin:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

never happy posted:

ask me about riding in -18 weather :getin:

How?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I am guessing it has something to do with the metric system

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Well, you won't be seeing that bike again.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

EX250 Type R posted:

I am guessing it has something to do with the metric system

everything to do with the metric system. Also layers of clothing. But I hated every minute of riding sub -10°C

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, you won't be seeing that bike again.

Oh yeah she's a write-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Are those gold plated headers?

• Locked thread