Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

No mention of dupe glitch or the dancer kill thing.

For the best, unless they're trying to keep people from making 500 post-dancer alts by not publicizing it.

Your Computer posted:

Is this the patch that's supposed to bring great performance increases that some articles spoke about?

That patch was a hoax.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Is this true? Is it an achievement?

"If you have obtained the Eyes of a Firekeeper from the Untended Graves area and have given it to the Fire Keeper you can use a summon sign next to the bonfire to trigger the 'The End of Fire' ending and the unlocking of said achievement. During this scene you have a short window where you can attack the Firekeeper after the cutscene for what is effectively a 4th ending option."

Yes, the cutscene for it is fun (59:50 ending spoiler).

e: Yes to it being true. There is no cheevo.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Is an archery build even possible in this game with the limited amount of arrows you can carry?

Yes, but only later on in the game, really. You can carry 99 of each type of arrow, so it's possible to have a good 400-500 between each bonfire. That's gonna cost a shitload, though. Most of the game's bows do pretty garbage damage, too, except for the Dragonslayer Bow.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gologle posted:

Here is that same video but actually showing the poise value
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaoGYbK0fo

FromSoft, are you loving kidding me?! You have it in the game, but apparently decided "lol no muh difficulty" and disabled it? That's loving stupid.

That does look like it'd make the game piss easy to be honest, especially with the raw number of hits they take before getting stumbled at that poise level. Hopefully if it actually was a mechanic it'd be tuned better than what that video shows.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

CJacobs posted:

That does look like it'd make the game piss easy to be honest

Yes, indeed, the character wearing superheavy armor and the heaviest greatshield in the game is having a piss easy time of it against the tutorial enemies

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Am I weird for just opting to use an upgraded broadsword for the entire game? Started knight, no magic, bows, etc. I just really liked its moveset.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IronicDongz posted:

sen's fortress owns

you're a worse liar than Patches

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Am I weird for just opting to use an upgraded broadsword for the entire game? Started knight, no magic, bows, etc. I just really liked its moveset.

No because all swords are good swords and if you don't use a sword you are to be PUNISHED.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Brannock posted:

Yes, indeed, the character wearing superheavy armor and the heaviest greatshield in the game is having a piss easy time of it against the tutorial enemies

Well I mean once people figured up poise for the other games that became a ridiculously easy strat too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

Sen's fortress is one of the best zones in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brannock posted:

You say that as if it's not representative of what other enemies would do. A baby hollow in the undead burg can stun you pretty easily in DS1 too.

edit: Hell, or what hits from another player would do. I really don't care about PVP in these games but it'd definitely get more annoying than it already is if people could just do what you see in the video, especially since estus is an instant heal again for some reason. That's one change they made after DS2 I don't think was necessarily an improvement.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 25, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

New Londo is really easy though?

I've never liked doing it; ghosts can clip through walls, attack you from above and below, you have narrow paths to fight them on and no real avenues to dodge their attacks effectively. The whole sequence is meant to induce panic, the final gauntlet being especially punishing. Once you undo the seal, the level is a bit more manageable, but the trek back to the boss fight is probably among the longest in the game, even if you know which shortcut to take.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Well I mean once people figured up poise for the other games that became a ridiculously easy strat too.

You still needed a good amount of Poise for even basic weapons to not one-hit stagger you in DS2, and even then you'd still generally get staggered after the second hit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BillmasterCozb posted:

It's great though. It has a fun enemy set and timing your way through the traps is cool and fun.

Also, invading there owns.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone who hates sens funhouse probably didnt invade there 24h and kicked stone armor wearing clowns down to the obsidian demons.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CJacobs posted:

If that poise thing really is a 0-1 toggle and not just someone loving around with stuff they haven't fully dissected, it's probably like Bloodborne's hidden equip burden stat, where it was in but then they changed their mind for game balance reasons. In the case of Bloodborne, they had the stat in and then took it out, but in DS3 it might be the other way around.

EVE once released a patch that deleted boot ini because of a misplaced backslash. It's totally possible for something small to slip programmers' notice. It could be that this is how they want it, but that'd be weird because the description for poise is still just "The ability to withstand attacks without breaking form." Enemies also still follow old poise rules, and I'm pretty sure Iron Flesh does as well.

Also, totally unrelated, Cloudflare does not like some one talking about boot ini.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Gologle posted:

Here is that same video but actually showing the poise value
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaoGYbK0fo

FromSoft, are you loving kidding me?! You have it in the game, but apparently decided "lol no muh difficulty" and disabled it? That's loving stupid.

The only stupid thing is they left the stat in there on the character sheet and armor stats. Game isn't actually terrible because poise is apparently disabled (it seems to still do something with staggers out of rolls) but for such a minimal impact it's bizarre it is even a thing. Else, there's no way FROM is going to flip that bit and render straight swords completely useless.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Andrast posted:

Sen's fortress is one of the best zones in the game.

Maybe for you. I think it's one of the worst, right ahead of Lost Izalith, gently caress lost izalith

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Andrast posted:

New Londo is really easy though?

I've seen people in streams/LPs get completely hosed up by the Darkwraiths, but yeah, for me New Londo was hella easy.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Iretep posted:

Anyone who hates sens funhouse probably didnt invade there 24h and kicked stone armor wearing clowns down to the obsidian demons.

These are the people that hate it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Nah, I've been doing the same. I have a couple other weapons I'll occasionally use but the broadsword is just so good. Big enough to clear groups of enemies, quick and strong enough to do good burst damage without leaving you open.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TGLT posted:

EVE once released a patch that deleted boot ini because of a misplaced backslash. It's totally possible for something small to slip programmers' notice. It could be that this is how they want it, but that'd be weird because the description for poise is still just "The ability to withstand attacks without breaking form." Enemies also still follow old poise rules, and I'm pretty sure Iron Flesh does as well.

Also, totally unrelated, Cloudflare does not like some one talking about boot ini.

With how finished the mechanic looks, I really doubt they just straight-up missed it. They would have had to intentionally completely disable it, and then just forget to re-enable it before shipping the game for multiple patches in a row now. That's way, way more unlikely than the alternative, which is that they just didn't want to use the mechanic as it's currently coded in the game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Shredder got nothin on me :black101:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BillmasterCozb posted:

Maybe for you. I think it's one of the worst, right ahead of Lost Izalith, gently caress lost izalith
Why, though? Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins are like, pretty much straightup unfinished and full of the awful lava gimmick.

Like the traps in Sen's Fortress are all timing based stuff(go past the cleaver at the right moment, roll through the arrows at the right moment, go past where the giant firebomb lands at the right moment) which is a great logical extension of Dark Soul's timing based combat and mixing that in with enemies like the snakemen on the walkways(who, of course, you can trick into getting hit by those same traps) adds an extra layer to everything. And like has already been said, it's a great/goofy area for invasions and once you learn the ins and outs you can go through it really fast, which I think is a sign of a good area.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

BillmasterCozb posted:

This is why you give the spider lady 30 humanity.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I've never liked doing it; ghosts can clip through walls, attack you from above and below, you have narrow paths to fight them on and no real avenues to dodge their attacks effectively. The whole sequence is meant to induce panic, the final gauntlet being especially punishing. Once you undo the seal, the level is a bit more manageable, but the trek back to the boss fight is probably among the longest in the game, even if you know which shortcut to take.
Yeah, the bit before you undo the seal is annoying. I always forget where the thing to open the seal is, too. But once it's open, I love it. Dark Wraiths were great for grinding souls and titanite. I don't understand why anyone had problems with them, considering how easy they were to backstab.
They're fuckin' annoying in DS3, though, because they (like a bunch of other enemies) have a "gently caress-you-the-computer-is-a-cheating-bastard" instant kill grab attack with fantastic tracking.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So how far through the game am I if i've just beaten dancer? since i haven't found many titanite chunks it feels i've a long way to go but i also have a +5 fume ultra great sword

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HaB posted:

What build are you running, homes?

Deliberately staying mid-soul level. Decent build variety + people who might actually want to pvp.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My issue with Sen's Fortress is that your DS1 character controls about as well as a tugboat. It's the same issue I have with the rafters in Anor Londo.

Jose posted:

So how far through the game am I if i've just beaten dancer? since i haven't found many titanite chunks it feels i've a long way to go but i also have a +5 fume ultra great sword

You have one area and three bosses left until the game ends. Note that there may be secret areas you haven't found, yet.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

RatHat posted:

You can use throwing knives and Farron dart while running.

I wasn't aware of this. And I would have taken down Smough had I have known--fucker was down to a sliver of health when he led me on a Benny Hill-style chase.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well poo poo, i thought i'd have at least 2 areas left

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Jose posted:

Am I too high level at 66 for the aldritch faithful?

I don't think I waited more than 10 seconds to get summoned at level 60. You're probably OK.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I honestly don't know why weapons and especially armor have durability anymore. There's no corrosive stuff and you'd probably be dead a dozen times over by the time even the lightest bit of armor breaks.

Has anyone here broken anything at all in DS3?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Sen's Fortress is cool and good and that mid point of Dark Souls 1 with it followed by Anor Londo is still the high point of the series for me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tracula posted:

I honestly don't know why weapons and especially armor have durability anymore. There's no corrosive stuff and you'd probably be dead a dozen times over by the time even the lightest bit of armor breaks.

Has anyone here broken anything at all in DS3?

Durability is a mechanic that has been either completely useless or extremely aggravating (DS2 on PC using certain weapons before SOTFS) in all the games so far.

I have no idea why they kept including it as a mechanic

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jose posted:

well poo poo, i thought i'd have at least 2 areas left

If you've just beaten Dancer there are three optional areas and four optional bosses as well as the straight path to the end of the game.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

I asked this last night and didn't get a reply, but long term Raw + Flame Arc will work out better for a Pyromancer than Chaos infusion, right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

If you've just beaten Dancer there are three optional areas and four optional bosses as well as the straight path to the end of the game.

Yeah I don't know what that guy was talking about, altogether he's got five areas and seven bosses to go. He's like 3/4ths of the way through. :confused:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I don't know what that guy was talking about, altogether he's got five areas and seven bosses to go. He's like 3/4ths of the way through. :confused:

I usually count Lothric Castle to be one giant area, although it's likely more proper to split it up between the Castle and the Archives proper.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I'm making a gimmick build for Undead Settlement invasions. From what I understand I should never take any of my weapons to greater than +3 for weapon matchmaking, but as far as soul level matchmaking I'm considering Soul Level 20 - does this seem like a good level? It should grab folks between level 10 and 30, right?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CJacobs posted:

With how finished the mechanic looks, I really doubt they just straight-up missed it. They would have had to intentionally completely disable it, and then just forget to re-enable it before shipping the game for multiple patches in a row now. That's way, way more unlikely than the alternative, which is that they just didn't want to use the mechanic as it's currently coded in the game.

People have still been working it out, so it's not like people have been complaining. And I'm not sure what you mean by "finished looking" since nothing that affects poise or explains poise has been updated to reflect that it only applies when rolling, and that it still applies to regular enemies. At least, I'm pretty sure a heavy weapon breaks the cathedral guards' poise faster than a dagger. Unfortunately the post explaining the specifics seems to have been removed, so it's very possible that it's not just some variable that reads POISE YES/NO but some part of a function that handles determining poise from armor. Or even just poise when not rolling.

edit: I guess probably the best way to be sure is to just check how Iron Flesh works. Need to sit down and see if it's a poise thing or if it just totally disables flinching

I mean they released the game on PC in a state where bonfires crashed the game. They're not perfect. Did they ever explain what exactly was causing that problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Andrast posted:

Durability is a mechanic that has been either completely useless or extremely aggravating (DS2 on PC using certain weapons before SOTFS) in all the games so far.

I have no idea why they kept including it as a mechanic

The only game I can think of that had a durability system that was good is Fallout 3 since it gave you a reason to pick up all the guns you find and use them to fix each other. No annoying money sink or poo poo breaking after three seconds.