Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

cash crab posted:

The "MAKES U THINK" thing is my least favourite art genre.

Actually you are dumb and it's the best.

A girl surrounded by 12 jizzing iPhones with facebook open. Subtle.

A politician crouched and making GBS threads into a hollowed ot TV watched by a slackjawed family. What does it mean?

A guy with an IV running from his PC to his arm ODing. It is a metaphor.

I also love the screeds by people who hate social media and how obssessed with it other people are but they see it for what it truly is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

TheDon01 posted:

Do hair dressers normally wear black? Is that a thing?

A lot of salons have an all-black dress code. I don't know why it's a thing, but it is.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"This art speaks to me, it speaks to me how we are often more controlled by our phones and internet than we are in control of it. We need to break these shackles to lead fulfilling lives."

*Posted from my iPhone onto Facebook*

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Random comment on some photoseries depicting old people looking into mirrors and seeing their younger selves. I'm not bitter, here are a thousand words about how not bitter I am!

'And again, I am white.' Really? I couldn't tell. :raise:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

EmmyOk posted:

Actually you are dumb and it's the best.

A girl surrounded by 12 jizzing iPhones with facebook open. Subtle.

A politician crouched and making GBS threads into a hollowed ot TV watched by a slackjawed family. What does it mean?

A guy with an IV running from his PC to his arm ODing. It is a metaphor.

I also love the screeds by people who hate social media and how obssessed with it other people are but they see it for what it truly is.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

A lot of salons have an all-black dress code. I don't know why it's a thing, but it is.

i was curious too

some blog posted:

It sounds like such an innocuous question, but there are very deliberate reasons that many hairdressers (and salons in general) choose black as a uniform color for their staff.

hairstylist wearing black First of all, black is a timeless color and is usually good for a wide range of body types. Black is slimming and creates a "chic" esthetic that many people take for granted.

Secondly, black is a neutral color and doesn't alter the perception of colors placed near it. Therefore, a stylist wearing black can stand behind her client, and look at them in the mirror and know that they are seeing a truer representation of the client's color. Wearing any other color might make the clients hair appear differently because of the refraction of the light and color in the hair.

It is also a high-contrast against lighter hair colors and allows the client and stylist to see the silhouette that is created by the cut and style more readily. In cases where the clients' hair is darker, the stylist will often stand to the side so that the dark hair doesn't meld into the backdrop of the black clothing the stylist is wearing.

Finally, as stylists are often working with haircolors and styling products that find their way onto the stylists' clothing, having black means that the stains are less likely to show and if they do (often due to the use of bleach), they can usually be "fixed" with the application of a laundry marker of fabric dye to restore the black color.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Attitude Indicator posted:

i was curious too

Well today I learned something new!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Everything about this image absolutely fascinates me. I don't even know where to begin.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Some day my Xbox will save YOUR life, Dad!

Here it is in Zen Pencils form, perfect. I don't know who Marc Maron is but he definitely tells people at parties he actually deleted his facebok and feels more social than ever

e: He has a verified Facebook account but I am sure he uses social media healthily not like the plebs

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Apr 25, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Marc Maron is a grumpy middle aged comedian with his own show and a popular podcast.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
People that complain about hurrdurr were all on our cellphones all the time durrhurr are the loving worst.

Okay second worst. The actual worst assholes are the ones who say "Idiocracy is basically a documentary at this point!!!"

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Tracula posted:

People that complain about hurrdurr were all on our cellphones all the time durrhurr are the loving worst.

Okay second worst. The actual worst assholes are the ones who say "Idiocracy is basically a documentary at this point!!!"

Ooh, I like sharing articles like this when people get on the Idiocracy rant, especially since it's usually my compatriots in all things social and justicey.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
That article is a really good read and I'll definitely need to keep that around for later. I'll be fair that I don't even hate the move all - that- much, more so the fans of it honestly, but it's literally a sketch that should last a few minutes at most on SNL or MadTV and it's dragged, beaten and stretched into a full length film.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tracula posted:

I have a completed draft of a short story about a guy who writes a novel but he does it on his cell phone because he doesn't want anyone to know that he's writing a novel because he thinks that books and book people are stupid and he's only writing the novel out of a compulsive sense of spite.

(Makes u think.)

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tracula posted:

Everything about this image absolutely fascinates me. I don't even know where to begin.

It's satire.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

subpar anachronism posted:

Random comment on some photoseries depicting old people looking into mirrors and seeing their younger selves. I'm not bitter, here are a thousand words about how not bitter I am!

So very mad she had to look at a black man today.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

It takes a special kind of person to get this defensive over the mere suggestion that a black person is better off than they are.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tracula posted:

That article is a really good read and I'll definitely need to keep that around for later. I'll be fair that I don't even hate the move all - that- much, more so the fans of it honestly, but it's literally a sketch that should last a few minutes at most on SNL or MadTV and it's dragged, beaten and stretched into a full length film.

I at least enjoy the joke at the end of the clip with the wealthy couple with "It always comes down to me..." "Well... It's not my sperm count.:colbert:"

Also the bit with the football player shortly after where you see the van rocking, and every rock adds a new kid to the tree. I thought that that was a funny visual.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Linked the first part of this image (NWS unless your boss is cool with heavy machinery doing corpse-gathering). Didn't bother censoring the page name since it was shared from a public page.
http://i.imgur.com/W3znObg.png

God, I know you're real busy up there, but I ALSO know you're reading my facebook.
Hmmmm. Something about that list, seems to be a little short...

Almost as if they conspicuously skip certain details and people...
[

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Busket Posket posted:

Ooh, I like sharing articles like this when people get on the Idiocracy rant, especially since it's usually my compatriots in all things social and justicey.

I just tell people to watch Shock Treatment.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
colleague who teaches "critical reading" at the college we work for posts this on fb

grr how dare fast food workers negotiate a $7600 raise for me

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

FordPRefectLL posted:

colleague who teaches "critical reading" at the college we work for posts this on fb

Something about this just absolutely pisses me off and it's such an insane mentality to have.
"gently caress anyone being better off! Everyone else get down on my level. Don't you dare try and elevate anything."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FordPRefectLL posted:

Sadly, so far only the fast food workers are actually getting a $15 minimum wage: http://www.amny.com/news/ny-minimum-wage-rises-10-50-an-hour-for-fast-food-workers-1.11281116

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

How do people not know that McDonalds doesn't do special orders? It's kind of their thing. You can't customize it, but in return it's ready immediately.

And I've honestly not had any problems at McDonald's either. If it's an order for a group they might forget an order of fries, but that's been about it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kay Kessler posted:

How do people not know that McDonalds doesn't do special orders? It's kind of their thing. You can't customize it, but in return it's ready immediately.

And I've honestly not had any problems at McDonald's either. If it's an order for a group they might forget an order of fries, but that's been about it.

Also, you know what is riding on your work. There is no McDonalds employee worried that someone will die if they make a mistake(I hope), so mistakes are a little more common than for an EMT.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

RFC2324 posted:

Sadly, so far only the fast food workers are actually getting a $15 minimum wage: http://www.amny.com/news/ny-minimum-wage-rises-10-50-an-hour-for-fast-food-workers-1.11281116

i did a little googling about this and it looks like this is the first phase of getting everyone to $15 and it just happens that fast food workers in the city are getting raises a little faster

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Kay Kessler posted:

Yes you can? They have the patty pre-grilled but the rest is assembled after you order. If you don't want ketchup just mention it as you order and the guy in back will be notified to skip it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Busket Posket posted:

Eh, it's a bit melodramatic. You can like a movie with a silly premise that's made by the guy who came up with Beavis & Butt-head and not be in favor of eugenics or believe that wealthy people are better than poor people. That blog post makes it sound like we're talking about something like Birth of a Nation.

Also, I gotta point out "them darn ~millennials~ not knowing about Network or The Jetsons or Li'l Abner or Ace in the Hole look at all the things I know about that ~millennials~ aren't aware of" :jerkbag:

Tracula posted:

Something about this just absolutely pisses me off and it's such an insane mentality to have.
"gently caress anyone being better off! Everyone else get down on my level. Don't you dare try and elevate anything."
This type of sandcastle-kicking blows my mind.

"So...you don't want someone you don't even know to have a better life, even if it doesn't impact you at all in any meaningful or even perceptible way?"

"NO, gently caress THEM, WHOEVER THEY ARE"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FordPRefectLL posted:

i did a little googling about this and it looks like this is the first phase of getting everyone to $15 and it just happens that fast food workers in the city are getting raises a little faster

Every source I had turned up, including the website of the governor of NY, says 'They remain committed to getting $15 for everyone' meaning that they haven't actually managed anything like that.

Doing another check today, I find that they actually signed the increase for everyone, also in CA. Nice!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Here in Florida I've seen a lot of "$15 is ridiculous who ever needs that much money for flipping a drat burger!" and completely ignore the cost of living in California.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/01/minimum-wage-apartment-hourly-salary-housing-costs_n_7472472.html

(although I may become the idiot if this ends up being completely wrong, it's just the first thing that ever comes to mind when the argument comes up)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Every time I see this cartoon I die little

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Thanks, son, for showing me my sacrifice was not in vain.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Isn't this incredibly inaccurate as well? I'm sure I've heard about kids getting suspended for not saying the pledge or omitting 'under god' while doing it? Could be totally wrong but I feel like I've seen it before.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

When you become an adult, you realize the Pledge of Allegiance is the creepiest loving thing that we make (obviously they are not forced, but there's major social pressure) children do.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

It doesn't matter to these people that cost of living and inflation have skyrocketed, or that the adjusted minimum wage is at the lowest it's been in decades.

Helping poor people is a horrific act that must be avoided at all costs. They use EMS workers as ways to silence the single moms who want to feed their kids. They act like everyone who lives on minimum wage is a lazy teenager who just wants more money.

Basically, if a person is against raising the minimum wage to something livable, they are garbage who either enjoy the suffering of the lower class or won't admit that our capitalist system is kinda loving broken.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Christo posted:

Yes you can? They have the patty pre-grilled but the rest is assembled after you order. If you don't want ketchup just mention it as you order and the guy in back will be notified to skip it.

Yeah, what in the world? I've never been to a single quick service restaurant where your order couldn't be customized. McDonald's prints out stickers on the line as orders are made that can be stuck to the box or wrapper of the item. Sometimes, during high volume periods, they'll premake a few hot items that will probably go within the next 5 minutes, but that's about it.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Can't argue with that, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

ISIS specifically stated they wanted to destroy our national anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Senf posted:

Can't argue with that, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This thread and D&D's crazy email thread have already been over Alexander Hamilton and Ben Franklin. Was there any controversy over Sacagawea dollar coins?