Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

vegas rejected one sounds dope

Ever played Vega in a Street Fighter where he always grabbed onto the cage when he went for a wall dive? It basically made the move useless. Vega's cage is baaaaaaaad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Turn Vega into a pro wrestler and have him go ham on the cage gimmick, there.

I've just made a 25-year old character fresh and all it took was changing his occupation.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

idk i didnt open it in case i was gonna return it. played with it for two weeks, went back to the fc4, never looked back

also im sorry it was the fightpad pro, not the alpha.

this one:

the button layout is great, the triggers feel really nice but the d-pad and stick suck hard

re: mod- i do know the alpha has all the buttons soldered in which is pretty loving horrid if you want to use it for mods.

I actually play on the madcatz one and yeah the pad is bad, plus the buttons sometimes stick, and the top trigger buttons sometimes don't register, it's fairly lovely. The FC4 is frail as gently caress, though and the stupid moving dpad breaks after minimal use. I wish there was a good pad out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does the sega usb pad not work for ps4? I've had that for like 5 years and it never wore out. Really good dpad.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Tae posted:

Does the sega usb pad not work for ps4? I've had that for like 5 years and it never wore out. Really good dpad.

nah it doesnt

snake eyez had one at TFC that one of the tech talk guys did for him with a shaved down cerberus board, but it times out every 8 min

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm having a character crisis and I have it down to Ryu and Cammy, is Ryu as ubiquitous at higher ranks as he is in rookie and bronze? But part of me feels like that might be a good thing, force me to get good the honest way because everyone can fight Ryu. Can't decide can't decide brain aneurysm.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dracula Factory posted:

I'm having a character crisis and I have it down to Ryu and Cammy, is Ryu as ubiquitous at higher ranks as he is in rookie and bronze? But part of me feels like that might be a good thing, force me to get good the honest way because everyone can fight Ryu. Can't decide can't decide brain aneurysm.

play who you want and gently caress what people say

coming from a rolento player

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

If I knew who I wanted to play I wouldn't be in a crisis gatdangit, I'm jealous of people who can stick with a character through multiple games. Though I did play Ryu quite a bit in 4 and I like his kung-fu hobo aesthetic.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Dracula Factory posted:

If I knew who I wanted to play I wouldn't be in a crisis gatdangit, I'm jealous of people who can stick with a character through multiple games. Though I did play Ryu quite a bit in 4 and I like his kung-fu hobo aesthetic.

No matter how popular a character is, bad players will fall for the gimmicks. Good players might fall for the gimmicks on less popular characters once or twice, but if you play a set they'll catch on.
What I'm saying is don't play random matchmaking and expect to not develop any bad habits.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

bhsman posted:

So would Zangief be top-tier with that potential skill? Just turn a block into an insta-grab?

In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (SNES), Chromedome was a character with long, cancellable Dhalsim limbs and a 0f command grab with no whiff animation that could grab you from blockstun. Basically he could do a blockstring and OS every hit to cancel into SPD (the command was just D, U into button) and if you blocked any hit he was guaranteed to grab you. If you got hit instead he could combo into a sweep knockdown. From half screen he could OS every poke into SPD and if you blocked and were in range you got grabbed. He also had unblockable loops vs some characters.

He still wasn't top tier and lost to most of the characters he had unblockable loops against.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (SNES), Chromedome was a character with long, cancellable Dhalsim limbs and a 0f command grab with no whiff animation that could grab you from blockstun. Basically he could do a blockstring and OS every hit to cancel into SPD (the command was just D, U into button) and if you blocked any hit he was guaranteed to grab you. If you got hit instead he could combo into a sweep knockdown. From half screen he could OS every poke into SPD and if you blocked and were in range you got grabbed. He also had unblockable loops vs some characters.

He still wasn't top tier and lost to most of the characters he had unblockable loops against.

also, he is wicked super loving fun to play

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Well yeah, that secret charater with the whirling dive-fist(?) was the broken one, right? :v:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Basically everyone has good projectiles and useful reversals in that game, damage output is also pretty drat high

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Street Fighter USA cartoon predicted Guile's V Skill.

(And Ken's face apparently)

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

NecroMonster posted:

Basically everyone has good projectiles and useful reversals in that game, damage output is also pretty drat high
cool games happen when everything is strong

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I really want to get into this game but I get kicked off every five minutes or so (on Steam), kinda killing my buzz for it

But holy smokes Alex is back!??!

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Yes but he has ugly hair thus unplayable

pyonium
Apr 24, 2016

guts and bolts posted:

I really want to get into this game but I get kicked off every five minutes or so (on Steam), kinda killing my buzz for it

Yep, and his CA is like Zangief's but infinitely more awesome. I really like Capcom's direction on Alex.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Snake Eyez brought out Alex at that Redbull tournament this weekend - after losing 0-2 with Gief in the Top 16. The crowd loved it. Then he proceeded to get bodied 0-2 by a Chun. :( A sad day for Gief Nation and planting people.

Good set of finals at the tournament though. Infiltration sent Tokido down to losers in winners finals in a good set, Tokido comes back and resets Grand Finals. Infiltration pulls it out 3-2 in the final set.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm pretty sure infiltration is just a T-1000 that decided to to kill and replace him and loves fighting games

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Cammy's instant divekick feels really hard guys. Are there any tricks? I'm starting to get it semi-consistently in training mode, but it's rough when missing the input is so punishing in an actual game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Corbeau posted:

Cammy's instant divekick feels really hard guys. Are there any tricks? I'm starting to get it semi-consistently in training mode, but it's rough when missing the input is so punishing in an actual game.

are you doing 2149 as the motion? its just really hard. i don't have confidence in it coming out in matches at all

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
9214. I had even worse trouble doing the buffered version. It came out maybe twice, ever. Possibly because the window seems super tight to get under the buffer while still getting above the min. height restriction?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ive got the same problem with my cammy and any help would be rad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Corbeau posted:

9214. I had even worse trouble doing the buffered version. It came out maybe twice, ever. Possibly because the window seems super tight to get under the buffer while still getting above the min. height restriction?

jumping first isn't instant. instant is doing it backwards with the buffer's help. follow this guy's inputs. if you get it working start linking it into cr mp combos and you're good to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_QmjlU3-Y

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Okay, sooooo

I cannot stay connected to SF5. At all. It isn't my internet as far as I can tell, because I have this issue with no other game (Dota 2, Dark Souls 3, Tabletop Simulator, whatever, they all stay connected fine) and it's super infuriating to the point I already want to refund my purchase - game launches, it will connect to servers on launch, and then within about 6~7 minutes it will kick me off due to error 10007, and then I can't reconnect due to error 2100d or something, and then I have to wait like five/ten minutes before hitting Log In will log me back in, at which time I will get kicked off again within 6~7 minutes - it plays offline fine, but it pisses me off anyway

Also, whenever I pick Nash, he doesn't say anything at the character select screen, like his lips move as if he's talking but I hear nothing at all, it's bizarre

It's bad because I'm hypothetically the target audience for a game like SF5 in that I love Street Fighter but I was never great at Third Strike and only mediocre at SF4's various permutations, so making it more accessible and returning things to a state of footsie-driven aggression (instead of the endless safe jump setups, vortexes, FADCing your uppercuts, or just straight up turtling that defined SF4 to me) would be right up my alley

Except I can never loving connect to your stupid game, Capcom, and that means I can't even earn credits while I'm just goofing off in story mode or in training or doing the trials :/

Also Alex's hair looks wrong, please fix, thank you in advance

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

guts and bolts posted:

Okay, sooooo

I cannot stay connected to SF5. At all. It isn't my internet as far as I can tell, because I have this issue with no other game (Dota 2, Dark Souls 3, Tabletop Simulator, whatever, they all stay connected fine) and it's super infuriating to the point I already want to refund my purchase - game launches, it will connect to servers on launch, and then within about 6~7 minutes it will kick me off due to error 10007, and then I can't reconnect due to error 2100d or something, and then I have to wait like five/ten minutes before hitting Log In will log me back in, at which time I will get kicked off again within 6~7 minutes - it plays offline fine, but it pisses me off anyway

Also, whenever I pick Nash, he doesn't say anything at the character select screen, like his lips move as if he's talking but I hear nothing at all, it's bizarre

It's bad because I'm hypothetically the target audience for a game like SF5 in that I love Street Fighter but I was never great at Third Strike and only mediocre at SF4's various permutations, so making it more accessible and returning things to a state of footsie-driven aggression (instead of the endless safe jump setups, vortexes, FADCing your uppercuts, or just straight up turtling that defined SF4 to me) would be right up my alley

Except I can never loving connect to your stupid game, Capcom, and that means I can't even earn credits while I'm just goofing off in story mode or in training or doing the trials :/

Also Alex's hair looks wrong, please fix, thank you in advance

What router are you using. This game has some weird problems with some stock ISP routers, like Technicolor's. I had problems with this and Fightcade before I just picked up a TP-Link from amazon.

You could first try temporarily turning on DMZ and restarting your router / game to see if you get disconnected again.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Real hurthling! posted:

jumping first isn't instant. instant is doing it backwards with the buffer's help. follow this guy's inputs. if you get it working start linking it into cr mp combos and you're good to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_QmjlU3-Y

Even when the input looks like that it doesn't come out.

I have trouble believing that this is viable at all in an actual match.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah idk why a quick divekick would be useful

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Momochi puts a big focus on it in his cammy lecture because otherwise good luck getting in on a plus move with her. maybe alter your timing so you get it to come out? idk i get it once every 5-6 times but i suck really bad at sf

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I got it like 3 times in 30 trying just now. This is the sort of utterly absurd timing bullshit that made me quit SFIV.

I can do Chun's TK instant air legs without a problem, but Cammy's divekick? It's not happening.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean you'll get the hang of it eventually, there's no rush

You shouldn't give up because you can't immediately do it perfectly everytime

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

FINGER PUZZLESSSSSSzzzzz

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Street Fighter V: Utterly Absurd Timing Bullshit

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Microtime the minianimations

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
My point (aside from frustration) is that it's way beyond anything else this game asks.

It'd fit right in to most fighting games. Games I don't play. For a reason.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

On the contrary, the game does not ask you to play cammy specifically. If you don't think you're at the required level of execution yet, play another character, or just deal with the fact that you'll have to find other ways to get in for now until you get better. It's not worth stressing about either way. It might help your game out to approach her from a different angle for now, anyways.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

without instant cannon strike you can do fine with jump ins, the vskill frame trap that most lovely players will get hit by every time, and ex reaction specials but you can get hosed up bad doing these things so better off learning the difficult safe move.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The input display is the same for success or fail (and looks like the video), yet... it doesn't work most of the time. Even though it looks identical and I can't even *feel* any difference. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Corbeau posted:

I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The input display is the same for success or fail (and looks like the video), yet... it doesn't work most of the time. Even though it looks identical and I can't even *feel* any difference. :(

Input display doesnt show timing for the button