Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The swamp is fairly easy to navigate once you realise it's just a large circle that eventually loops back on its self and there are a decent amount of landmarks. Forbidden Woods in BB is worse, I get turned around and confused the second I hit trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm excited for the Ni-Oh demo that releases tomorrow.

Thanks for telling me this, that game looks super rad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the whole SFZero thing is weird since reviewers nigh-universally hate the controls while most players I've seen have little or no problems adjusting to them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Motto posted:

the whole SFZero thing is weird since reviewers nigh-universally hate the controls while most players I've seen have little or no problems adjusting to them.

I played it a bit (and by that I mean I finished it) at a friend's place. I didn't really like the controls either. Sure, they work fine but I didn't like having to use two screens and it really didn't bring anything interesting to the game either.

The whole experience was thoroughly middling.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Motto posted:

It's really weird considering Ryckert over at Giant Bomb was a big proponent of the gyro controls in Splatoon but seemed to hate the Star Fox controls.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Games journalists are bad at games and shouldn't be trusted.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Also the rapier/estoc is silly effective against NPCs.

Most human players too, apparently!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The swamp is fairly easy to navigate once you realise it's just a large circle that eventually loops back on its self and there are a decent amount of landmarks. Forbidden Woods in BB is worse, I get turned around and confused the second I hit trees.

The trick to the Forbidden Woods is to realize that there is only one lit path and it slopes continuously down. Once you realize this, you can orient yourself pretty well any time you have line of sight with he main path. Also if you don't care about getting any items, you can just run right down the path from the beginning straight to the end of the zone.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

I'm glad to hear this because all the reviews, particularly the Giant Bomb one, seem hung up on the controls; the Wonderful 101 got criticized in much the same way, which is another situation where a complex control scheme is one of the best parts of the game and once you learn how to play it properly, the game is splendid.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Jay Rust posted:

I like the Dark Souls III swamp but I do wish there weren't those super-deep sections where you can't sprint at all. The fastest mode of travel then becomes rolling, and what kind of idiot would repeatedly roll through stinky, murky, poisonous swamp water in real life

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you equip a dagger you can use the skill to quickstep through at top speed, even at 0 FP.

I can understand being upset that there's a trick in the game the requires a player to use a weapon they aren't good with or don't have on hand, but a dagger is even better than the Rusted Ring from DS1. You can scoot through the whole swampy area with lightning speed and probably grab everything before the poison does enough damage to kill you. It might be faster to scoot through the swamp than run the other way, since the swamp mainly has cockatrices who are mostly harmless and the big guys are too slow to catch you. You can get to both bonfires in the area without much difficulty with a dagger.

The swamp is a dagger tax.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

But I do care. I do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

which makes the high marks for dark souls games even more baffling but maybe it's just because the controls are fine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

Also Monkey Island 2 owns

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm glad to hear this because all the reviews, particularly the Giant Bomb one, seem hung up on the controls; the Wonderful 101 got criticized in much the same way, which is another situation where a complex control scheme is one of the best parts of the game and once you learn how to play it properly, the game is splendid.

Same thing kind of happened with Godhand, where the over the shoulder tank controls were too different for a lot of reviewers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MinibarMatchman posted:

which makes the high marks for dark souls games even more baffling but maybe it's just because the controls are fine.

Saying a dark souls game is bad is like asking for a "9.5 for Zelda" shitstorm.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

This owns. I had no idea about this.

I hate to break it to you, but they just seem to share a name.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

LawfulWaffle posted:

I can understand being upset that there's a trick in the game the requires a player to use a weapon they aren't good with or don't have on hand, but a dagger is even better than the Rusted Ring from DS1. You can scoot through the whole swampy area with lightning speed and probably grab everything before the poison does enough damage to kill you. It might be faster to scoot through the swamp than run the other way, since the swamp mainly has cockatrices who are mostly harmless and the big guys are too slow to catch you. You can get to both bonfires in the area without much difficulty with a dagger.

The swamp is a dagger tax.

Poison is super weak in this one though. There is a Toxic swamp but it's so small and large in the game that it's never really a threat.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's a scale-less dragon if I've ever seen one

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

TBF in the quick look, Dan said that it's highly likely people will come out later saying it's the only way to play, just that it never clicked for him and didn't ever seem necessary.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

yeah, not to sound conspiratorial, but I think reviews are influenced by a franchise's rep and how hyped people were going in. FF13 got pretty glowing reviews back on 360/PS3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

8.8 but yeah basically

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Poison is super weak in this one though. There is a Toxic swamp but it's so small and large in the game that it's never really a threat.

I used arrows and the quickstep for the toxic swamp too. Shout out to toxic swamp for also being close to my favorite enemy in DS3: The Hand Man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quest For Glory II posted:

mirrors edge catalyst

Oh snap, that's coming out in May? :dance:

Warning to Bravely Second owners: the game hardlocks. Many people are reporting this so it's not happening because our Nu3DS is busted. The game autosaves constantly though so it's not a huge deal

Speaking of the Nu3DS, it may have a disturbing lack of any games at all that require it to be played (other than Xenoblade, which honestly is a good argument for getting the system all by itself) but the additional nub that picks up on the Circle Pad Pro config is a goddamn lifesaver for Final Fantasy Explorers (which is a rad game that is kinda like Monster Hunter but imo a lot more fun)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

mirror's edge got pushed back to June 7th , just before E3 a few days later

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Those giant crabs can suck my dick.

Talk about hitting a weak spot for massive damage

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Please don't post Adolph Fatler in this or any other thread.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Motto posted:

yeah, not to sound conspiratorial, but I think reviews are influenced by a franchise's rep and how hyped people were going in. FF13 got pretty glowing reviews back on 360/PS3.

That's because FF13 is a sick game

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

That's because FF13 is a sick game

Sick, yes, terminally so. Should be euthanized. Mercifully.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Sick, yes, terminally so. Should be euthanized. Mercifully.
Don't sign your posts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's important that FF13 existed because it eventually led to the batshit insanity of Lightning Returns.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had fun with all Final Fantasies, I'm happy they exist

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't sign your posts.

That Dragon, 8-Bit Scholar

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So we're nearing the end of the month, friends

What was the GotM?

Besides Dark Souls

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's really bizarre to me that people are surprised by FROM games having callbacks, elements and characters from other FROM games. That's basically the entire company's Thing

I wish they would make Metal Wolf Chaos sequels their Thing

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty sure we played Quake 1 totally on the keyboard because that's how we played Doom and Duke Nukem, wtf is this mouse look poo poo, ugh.

Maybe you did. I quit using keyboard the day I went on DWANGO thinking I was hot poo poo at deathmatching after destroying my friends via 2 player modem play, and the first match I had with someone I got destroyed like 96-2.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 25, 2016

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Sakurazuka posted:

8.8 but yeah basically

I still think that score is too high for Twilight Princess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

So we're nearing the end of the month, friends

What was the GotM?

Besides Dark Souls
i never buy new games so the game i played this month that i liked the most was Ori & the Blind Forest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't played DSIII in a week and I don't know when I'm going to go back and finish it. I kinda petered off at the halfway ish point I think. I've been playing Castlevania and Europa Universalis IV

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Quest For Glory II posted:

i never buy new games so the game i played this month that i liked the most was Ori & the Blind Forest

I had a great time with Miles Edgeworth Investigations, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

I haven't played DSIII in a week and I don't know when I'm going to go back and finish it. I kinda petered off at the halfway ish point I think. I've been playing Castlevania and Europa Universalis IV

how dare you.

• Locked thread