Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Just to keep on with the Supernatural chat, one of my favorite goofy details is that one of the main antagonists became a demon apparently because he sold his soul to satan so he could have a bigger dick. Unless they changed that in one of the later seasons I haven't watched yet. I like the first explanation more though.

EDIT: And to keep this post on topic; more than anything CGI that doesn't have proper weight and momentum to it drives me nuts. It kind of bothers me when people call bad CGI "videogamey" too because a lot of games do factor in things like weight and impact now, low effort poo poo is just low effort poo poo no matter the medium.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nuebot posted:

Just to keep on with the Supernatural chat, one of my favorite goofy details is that one of the main antagonists became a demon apparently because he sold his soul to satan so he could have a bigger dick. Unless they changed that in one of the later seasons I haven't watched yet. I like the first explanation more though.

EDIT: And to keep this post on topic; more than anything CGI that doesn't have proper weight and momentum to it drives me nuts. It kind of bothers me when people call bad CGI "videogamey" too because a lot of games do factor in things like weight and impact now, low effort poo poo is just low effort poo poo no matter the medium.

Crowley, the King of Hell to be exact. He and his son (resurrected) have this exchange:

Son: "You sold your soul for what, an extra three inches?!"
Crowley: "I was going for double-digits."

Supernatural is a dumb show and I love it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
An extra three inches and King of Hell? Sounds like the devil got the shaft on this one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leavemywife posted:

An extra three inches and King of Hell? Sounds like the devil got the shaft on this one.

He wasn't the King of Hell originally but he ended up taking the position once Lucifer got locked in his box again. Crowley is the longest lasting antagonist and one of the least retarded characters on the show.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
My least favorite part of Supernatural is Lucifer killing Kali, Ganesh, Baldur, Odin, Mercury, Baron Samedi, with Zhao Sen killed by Dean. Even the Christian bad guys can single handedly take out a bunch of gods from other cultures.

And the Trickers, turns out to be Loki, who turns out to be Gabriel the Archangel. The Trickster episodes were my favorites, it just a silly, weird bad guy.

Also, that apparently Russian witches really like towns with Monorails. (Brockway, Ogedenville and North Haverbrook)

Though, I do like the fact that it's constantly pointed out repeatedly to them in the horrible fan convention that they should get a strap for their kill-everything-knife. Though, they never do. I would have loved an episode where they tried it, something terrible happens with it, and they at least then decide not to, but no.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

PicklePants posted:

My least favorite part of Supernatural is Lucifer killing Kali, Ganesh, Baldur, Odin, Mercury, Baron Samedi, with Zhao Sen killed by Dean. Even the Christian bad guys can single handedly take out a bunch of gods from other cultures.

Dang, that is kinda hosed up now that you put it that way! Mostly I just thought that episode was a big waste of storytelling potential - "Hey, let's add a bunch of actual gods from different pantheons into our list of mythical creatures... And then kill ALL of them in one episode." They should have done so much more with those characters. Like, just off the top of my head, if they're trying to come up with a bigger threat than last season, why not go for some non-Christian end of the world myth, like Ragnarok?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It was funny seeing gods with a ton of history behind them simply resort to throwing a punch.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Aphrodite posted:

There's a running joke where a side character has visions of their jobs, and is writing a cheesy Goosebumps-esque series about them. Each episode is a book in the series. They go to a hotel that happens to be hosting a convention to investigate... a ghost I think? I forget exactly. But the con guests constantly poo poo on their crappy Sam and Dean costumes, and the episode is an opportunity for them to address some of their crazy fan stuff.
they're invited by the writer's assistant that's super into Sam at the time iirc and then it turns out there's actual work to do plus a wink and a nudge regarding how quickly they dig graves up.

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, most likely. The show's creator is a Hellblazer fan. There's actually a character on the show who dresses exactly like Constantine.

To the point that the show's crazy fans accused the show Constantine of stealing the character's look.
and he's a complete subversion while being at least as competent.

Len posted:

He wasn't the King of Hell originally but he ended up taking the position once Lucifer got locked in his box again. Crowley is the longest lasting antagonist and one of the least retarded characters on the show.
Mark Sheppard is always Crowley. Even in season one episode 12 of X-Files.

personally, i like the Sam Smith and Dean Wesson episode

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FFT posted:

Mark Sheppard is always Crowley. Even in season one episode 12 of X-Files.

He was also Crowley in BSG.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Patattack posted:

Dang, that is kinda hosed up now that you put it that way! Mostly I just thought that episode was a big waste of storytelling potential - "Hey, let's add a bunch of actual gods from different pantheons into our list of mythical creatures... And then kill ALL of them in one episode." They should have done so much more with those characters. Like, just off the top of my head, if they're trying to come up with a bigger threat than last season, why not go for some non-Christian end of the world myth, like Ragnarok?

The show's rules are explicitly that the Christian stuff is real, and all the others are false. They're just spirits, elementals, etc. that were worshiped enough to gain a lot of power, but are still nothing next to the Christian powers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

The show's rules are explicitly that the Christian stuff is real, and all the others are false. They're just spirits, elementals, etc. that were worshiped enough to gain a lot of power, but are still nothing next to the Christian powers.
i was incredibly irritated when the Trickster turned out to be The Archangel Gabriel "in hiding"

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

PicklePants posted:

Also, that apparently Russian witches really like towns with Monorails. (Brockway, Ogedenville and North Haverbrook)

It put them on the map!

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Since we're still on Supernatural for some reason, my IITVM is when they decide that a monumental shell between great and powerful beings needs to be anything other than fisticuffs. Maybe with a knife or shotgun. Or attempted vehicular manslaughter. Also any other show that throws their budget for the season at making one fight look cool, when they were doing just fine with whatever silly thing they were using before that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Say what you will about Supernatural but they devoted an entire season to a dick joke and that merits some admiration.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Say what you will about Supernatural but they devoted an entire season to a dick joke and that merits some admiration.

Is this the Crowley thing, or what?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

kizudarake posted:

Is this the Crowley thing, or what?

The big villain for a season was named Dick Roman.

Some spoilers for Season 7 if you're gonna watch it. 7 minutes of dick jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_RHcqU59Nc

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

It's a little more complicated then this. Sam and Dean kill a lot of old gods, but it's always made clear that they are shadows of their former selves since they don't have the worshipers and sacrifices anymore. There is also the souls as currency or power tokens, heaven and hell go all out to collect all they can and the other gods just kind of snack now and then.

I have this theory that there was an if/then clause wrapped up in the Armageddon prophecy, if the brother's are the first brothers in biblical history to not screw each other over, they get to go on and wipe everything else out leaving a human only existence

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The Sand Snakes. That is all.

Or maybe the entire Dorne storyline.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The Sand Snakes. That is all.

Or maybe the entire Dorne storyline.

I have no idea why you would say such a thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And that was their best take.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Randomly decided to start watching The Messengers because it's on Netflix so mild spoilers.

So the devil is playing chess for an incredibly obvious "when you least expect it, checkmate" "we are such clever writers" moment.

But despite not getting a full view of the board it can't possibly be an actual checkmate.

Though the message could be "the devil is really good at bluffing" i doubt it.

(second episode about 29 minutes in if anyone wants to see)

also, token "i'm an atheist" character sees herself and companions with wings in a mirror, it is acknowledged that they all saw it, and then is still staunchly against any reasonable course of action whilst being totally certain that a video she saw of a random eight-year-old boy has to be her son that has been missing for over seven years "because i'm his mother, that's how".

lol episode 3 ~9:30 in "then you can enjoy watching him both die"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

FFT posted:

Randomly decided to start watching The Messengers because it's on Netflix so mild spoilers.
episode 5

why aren't you punching the devil

he's right there

at least they finally loving sat down and talked about "hey this is what the devil looks like" after everyone had already met him in some way but cool there's a rogue secondary teenager that wasn't privy to the conversation why am i still watching this

ep 6 there's a swingarm gate not connected to a fence or anything blocking a dirt road in a wooded area, guess we have to get out of the jeep and start walking~

stringless has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Apr 25, 2016

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

This is just sad

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The most IIMM about THE MESSENGERS is that dude's cell phone understanding what the gently caress he is saying with that horrible accent, when he asks it something.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
On Smallville the Kents own a struggling farm, yet every other episode their truck gets wrecked in different ways and is back to normal by the next show. How do they afford to constantly fix that thing? Is that why they're struggling?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

On Smallville the Kents own a struggling farm, yet every other episode their truck gets wrecked in different ways and is back to normal by the next show. How do they afford to constantly fix that thing? Is that why they're struggling?

That reminds me of how on Roseanne they make a big deal about how the family struggles and has problems making ends meet but then throughout the show they are able to open up a string of businesses.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01xasUtlvw

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The most IIMM about THE MESSENGERS is that dude's cell phone understanding what the gently caress he is saying with that horrible accent, when he asks it something.

"where can i play chess in a park"

um

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Probably helps when you have someone who can work steel like it was paper and has welding torches for eyes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Crimson Peak how does the protagonist's mother know enough of the future to give a ghostly ambiguous warning when her daughter was a child? As far as I can tell, the Sharpe siblings had no connection to her family whatsoever and they likely hadn't had their incestuous relationship discovered yet. When the second warning came it's a little more sensible since events have occurred and maybe there's some silly ghost network to get information to still living people that can understand ghosts. In fact they probably could have cut the warning bits out entirely and just establish the protagonist as being able to see dead people and nothing of value (reworking the one scene where the movie title comes into play) would be lost.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Government cash from all the disasters that happen in the area.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Christmas is coming Clark, go bust a dam.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just watched Man Vs., a found-footage style thriller about a outdoorsman filming himself in northern Ontario for his TV series, when poo poo starts to get weird.

I liked the premise of the movie, but it really fell apart for me. So the first night that outdoors guy is alone in the forest, he's awakened by a loud crash and in the morning, he sees a huge path ripped through the treeline across the lake. Weird stuff starts happening as he films, stuff goes missing, and something is loving with his cameras and making weird sounds. Creepy right? So it turns out (ending spoilers) he's caught on the edge of an alien invasion. The thing that crashed to earth on his first night is some terribly CGI'd alien/cyborg thing that spends days just following him around and playing headgames. It isn't until the last 15 min that it tries to actively kill him. Outdoorsman finds where his support crew is camped nearby, and the alien thing straight up murdered the gently caress out of them no problem. He finds a TV in a camping shack and the news says it's a global invasion and millions are dying. So why did it just follow the guy around for days instead of just killing the guy? Talk about a lovely murder bot.
Anyways, the movie was very so-so, and I wouldn't suggest watching it unless you love watching Survivorman.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aphrodite posted:

Christmas is coming Clark, go bust a dam.

Clark, use your X-ray vision. Walk around until you find a few nuggets of gold or squeeze some coal into a diamond.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

I just watched Man Vs., a found-footage style thriller about a outdoorsman filming himself in northern Ontario for his TV series, when poo poo starts to get weird.

I liked the premise of the movie, but it really fell apart for me. So the first night that outdoors guy is alone in the forest, he's awakened by a loud crash and in the morning, he sees a huge path ripped through the treeline across the lake. Weird stuff starts happening as he films, stuff goes missing, and something is loving with his cameras and making weird sounds. Creepy right? So it turns out (ending spoilers) he's caught on the edge of an alien invasion. The thing that crashed to earth on his first night is some terribly CGI'd alien/cyborg thing that spends days just following him around and playing headgames. It isn't until the last 15 min that it tries to actively kill him. Outdoorsman finds where his support crew is camped nearby, and the alien thing straight up murdered the gently caress out of them no problem. He finds a TV in a camping shack and the news says it's a global invasion and millions are dying. So why did it just follow the guy around for days instead of just killing the guy? Talk about a lovely murder bot.
Anyways, the movie was very so-so, and I wouldn't suggest watching it unless you love watching Survivorman.

aliens love being on tv too

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The Zombie Guy posted:

You had me sold on "found footage". I can't get enough of that garbage. I do get annoyed at horror movies in general where the monster/killer/whatever spend the whole movie toying with the victim, but understand why they do it. Yeah the alien could have just offed him the second he saw him, but then you have no movie. They have to make the monster/demon thing a dick that gets off from making them real scared before they die to at least preserve the illusion that the human has a chance.

It makes me think of what annoyed me about movies like The Hills Have Eyes (the remake). Why spend all that time tormenting them and giving them a chance to escape when you could just ambush them with all your people straight away and eat them or whatever it is they do? The fact that I know the answer of "they would only act this way in a movie because the alternative is boring" is irrationally irritating I guess. I just wish they'd come up with some kind of scenario where the monster/whatever acts logically/intelligently and still leaves enough room for a feature length movie.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

It makes me think of what annoyed me about movies like The Hills Have Eyes (the remake). Why spend all that time tormenting them and giving them a chance to escape when you could just ambush them with all your people straight away and eat them or whatever it is they do? The fact that I know the answer of "they would only act this way in a movie because the alternative is boring" is irrationally irritating I guess. I just wish they'd come up with some kind of scenario where the monster/whatever acts logically/intelligently and still leaves enough room for a feature length movie.
Most monsters/villains are too powerful to act logically. They have to be dumb as a handicap.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I want to see a horror movie where the reason the alien/demon is dicking with everyone is really mundane.

"Why? What do you want :qq:"
"I got stranded here 30 years ago, and I can't wander into a town looking like this!. I got bored. Chill out. Hey, I'm tired of this game, let's go back in the spooky cabin and watch a movie or something?"

Edit: Then, a few hours later, they both hear a loud crash outside, and the REAL movie begins!

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Apr 25, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Lex secretly bought the local insurance office and set it up so that the Kents would have a 25 dollar deductible and their premiums would never go up, since Clark wouldn't ever accept anything from him for saving his bald rear end in the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

I want to see a horror movie where the reason the alien/demon is dicking with everyone is really mundane.

"Why? What do you want :qq:"
"I got stranded here 30 years ago, and I can't wander into a town looking like this!. I got bored. Chill out. Hey, I'm tired of this game, let's go back in the spooky cabin and watch a movie or something?"

Edit: Then, a few hours later, they both hear a loud crash outside, and the REAL movie begins!

Netflix and Chill vs. Predator