Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Rofl that's amazing

(The flammability part).
Obviously that's the cannon explanation for why Flamers and Infernos are by far the most deadly anti-infantry weapon out there, the damage assumptions are based on shooting those DCMS uniforms :v:

So definitely kill the infantry before they can get to buildings or woods! Otherwise they'll turn in to really annoying area denial. Luckily there is no cover for them on the runway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wow, Kuritans are nuts!
I didn't even know that level of information existed about things like that in Battletech.

And yeah, those infantry look a little more scary now. We'd basically have to annihilate the infrastructure just to get rid of them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's not like DCMS infantry were actually expected to fight more than the rare pirate raid until very recently. If House on House warfare escalated to more than just trotting out the space knights in their shining space armor to fire a few shots and run away something has gone seriously wrong.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mcjomar posted:

Wow, Kuritans are nuts!
I didn't even know that level of information existed about things like that in Battletech.

And yeah, those infantry look a little more scary now. We'd basically have to annihilate the infrastructure just to get rid of them.

The little green guys only have a 4 hex range, so they're not so bad if they fort up in a building. It's the SPESSS MEHRINES and Jump Infantry that's really bad news, because they have up to a 9 hex range.
So it'd be really great to take out the platoon in 1346, because in two turns it can get under cover in those woods hexes, and make it really obnoxious to kill the planes in the south without taking backshots.
Platoons 6, 7, and 8 of the normal Sea Fox infantry isn't guarding anything the players badly need (outside of maybe using the buildings down there for cover from something) so they can probably be more or less ignored. The buildings can be easily collapsed from outside their range if needed, but you probably won't.

The other nice thing is that the Runway area is raised to height 1, so you can use it for partial cover really easily from stuff in the north.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Question - can the plasma rifle be used to light the woods on fire
-- And if so even in the current weather conditions?
-- Would this help or hurt the team?
Just curious.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, so should I point my LPL at them instead? I don't think I have much in the way of useful infantry killing firepower as it's just 2 MLs and an LPL on me.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Probably not, even the LPL is only going to kill two troopers I think. Non burst fire or incendiary weapons are just really really bad at killing infantry. It's really up to the Lancelot/Komodo/Salamander/Ostscout (Last one better be reserved for cleanup because it's the most fragile by far) to just be on top of things.

Normally you can use weapons to start fires but I'm pretty sure that's a non starter when the weather conditions are "Hurricanes and poo poo rolling up on you"

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
RE: starting fires I think the last time we got around to it, it caused so much hassle and bookkeeping issues for PTN that he decided to drop it (which is probably a fair thing anyway as I'd rather he stay sane).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

garland336 posted:

Question - can the plasma rifle be used to light the woods on fire
-- And if so even in the current weather conditions?
-- Would this help or hurt the team?
Just curious.

You can, but it'll go out the moment it runs out of dry fuel (so pretty much instantly)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QFsYazXpGqU60EoAuAtLGB_1X9RKMVDnLC2jhBa49S0/edit?usp=sharing

GDoc link for newpage

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
I'm not a pilot this time, but I guess it's about high time after 3 years of lurking and the occasional post to sign up.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't count on this.

The Clans give their infantry (even their Solamha infantry) actual effective body armor compared to the literally nothing most House Infantry get. Clan infantry takes half damage from all attacks, so the x2 multiplier for being in the open is negated and they're a serious menace in even light cover. Forget about shooting them out of a heavy building since it'll take ~50% of the initial damage and then they'll only take half of the other half.

For comparison, the standard field kit for a DCMS infantryman is a trichloropolyester uniform which is stain resistant, water repellant, prevents mud from sticking, and is incredibly, lethally flammable.

Is that old fluff? A Time of War makes DCMS infantry kit basically armored overalls (which will maybe stop a knife or a handgun bullet but are kind of bad against anything else) and a helmet.

As of A Time of War, most House infantry kit is of variable quality but at least counts as armor, with the DCMS having basically "shrapnel-resistant overalls," the Capellans having lighter shrapnel-resistant fatigues, a helmet, and an armor vest, the FedSuns and Lyrans both give their troops a heavy armor jacket, boots, gloves, and helmet (but no leg protection), the FWL kit is full body armor and relatively heavy, and ComStar/WoB run around with gear just a little worse than the Clans.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

As of A Time of War, most House infantry kit is of variable quality but at least counts as armor, with the DCMS having basically "shrapnel-resistant overalls,"

Depends on the infantry and what they're expecting, but most soldiers don't walk around their hometowns in heavy battle armor (and most of the successor states are too cheap to make sure every man in their ten billion infantry platoons has armor). I'm mostly referring to the infantry attached to the Kokuryu Kai's Eight Corners of the World Under One Roof regiments, which is about twice as expendable as the usual infantry.

Trichloropolyester is shrapnel resistant and theoretically tough enough to stop a bullet. It probably won't save the person inside from dying of bullet-related internal injuries such as having their lungs punctured by fragments of their own ribcage, but the uniform itself will be fine as long as nothing sets it on fire.

It's a far cry from being a Clan Heavy Jump Trooper, which are made up entirely of failed Elementals who just barely didn't make the cut and still get some modicum of respect even if they're not really warriors.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The players would probably be well advised not to overcommit themselves to anything right now. Given the BV disparity on the field you can rest assured that there are some savage curveballs coming your way, so you want to make sure you won't be caught out overextending when assault stars start waltzing in off the map edges.

It's tempting to try to kill off the Light star that's currently on the map before any reinforcements arrive, but they're currently so far away from your other objectives and your escape route that it's probably not worth investing that much time into a group of mechs that aren't huge threats to begin with.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Okay, current plan is to jump to 2134 and fire on the brownbacks at marker 3. I can't see a way to get any tasty enemy mechs in my LOS this turn, and that place gives me the hill between me and the incoming lance. It also puts me in a good position to jump up the hill next turn.

It does put me a little close to the infantry but I'm hoping everyone else will be shooting the hell out of them. Contingency will be to fire on a grounded plane...unless it would be better to rack up bounty and leave the infantry-killing to others? I figure even killing two of them is better than not firing at all.

EDIT: It's been pointed out to me that jumping uses no turning MP. So scratch all of the above.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 25, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

MJ12 posted:

Is that old fluff? A Time of War makes DCMS infantry kit basically armored overalls (which will maybe stop a knife or a handgun bullet but are kind of bad against anything else) and a helmet.

As of A Time of War, most House infantry kit is of variable quality but at least counts as armor, with the DCMS having basically "shrapnel-resistant overalls," the Capellans having lighter shrapnel-resistant fatigues, a helmet, and an armor vest, the FedSuns and Lyrans both give their troops a heavy armor jacket, boots, gloves, and helmet (but no leg protection), the FWL kit is full body armor and relatively heavy, and ComStar/WoB run around with gear just a little worse than the Clans.

The FWL has the best "standard" IS infantry gear? I didn't expect that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

Like everything FWL, I'm certain this varies a lot more than the other great houses. Their standard military kit's probably pretty good--but how many of their infantrymen are actually standard military? The various duchies probably equip their glorified swarms of mall-cops with whatever's cheapest or easiest to come by or manufactured locally (or all three at once).

That said, FWL kit is generally pretty good in general. They've got money and they make most of the stuff locally, and because they were less stupid about committing to the whole 'total war' thing, less of their factories got burned down. It's not unusual to see FWL infantry platoons armed entirely with gyroslug rifles and carbines, which are basically BattleTech's version of the Warhammer 40k Bolter.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If you have a plasma rifle, infantry is flammable, frag lrms are nice explody infantry killing death as well, so are those ap gauss rifles. Also every trooper that dies reduces the platoons output just like elementals, and jump/foot infantry can also swarm/leg attack, so try not to be within 3 hexes of the jump guys.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RA Rx posted:

Thanks!

What defines turning while running though? I've seen a lot of seeming turns in these matches that went without pilot rolls, as long as they didn't turn twice...?

The piloting skill roll is only needed if you attempt to move after turning while running on concrete. The idea is your battlemech's feet can't dig into the concrete.

Turning means changing your battlemech's facing by one or more hex sides. This means that if you run, and during your move, in any hex (including the first but not the last hex) which is on concrete you turn one hex side, you have turned while running on concrete and must make a PSR to avoid falling. This can catch some folks out: if you turn and then run, you've turned while running. The act of using more MPs than your walking speed is called "running" and every move your 'mech makes during that "running" turn is part of the run.

You can avoid taking PSRs by any of:
-Not running when you need to turn on concrete
-Not turning when you need to turn on concrete
-Doing your turning at the end of your run, even if you're on concrete
-Doing your turning before or after you get onto the concrete

The last point is the key one. Plan your moves so that you turn on dirt and then move onto concrete, or run off the concrete so you can make your next turn on dirt, or do your turning at the ends of your runs on concrete. Or use your jump jets, because you can change facing in mid-air while you're jumping, so you are facing any hex-side for free when you land (e.g., count how many hexes you jumped and that's your total jumping MPs you spent).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 25, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

urning means changing your battlemech's facing by one or more hex sides. This means that if you run in a straight line, and then in your last hex (which is on concrete) you turn one hex side, you have turned while running

This is untrue.

You only suffer a PSR if you move after making a turn on concrete. So you only suffer a PSR if you turn and use your last MP to move an additional hex. If you end your move on a turn you're perfectly safe, since it's assumed you slowed down a bit to shoot before moving again on the next turn.

That said, a big tip for the Gunsmith: Do not run 18 hexes down the runway, turn, and run an additional hex. That is a very good way to wind up skidding out of bounds.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MJ12 posted:

Bear in mind that AToW's core book is set in the middle of the Jihad, so the equipment's going to be better than the barely-out-of-the-Succession Wars stuff that's in play here.

Artificer posted:

The other houses emphasize mechs more than the FWL does, and unlike the Liaos and Kuritas the Mariks can afford to pay for really good equipment for their infantry. The Davions aren't swimming in money like the Mariks are, and the Steiners just find the whole infantry business distasteful (and besides, mechs have bigger guns by far, so they've got to be better than infantry, right?)

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 25, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is untrue.

You only suffer a PSR if you move after making a turn on concrete. So you only suffer a PSR if you turn and use your last MP to move an additional hex. If you end your move on a turn you're perfectly safe, since it's assumed you slowed down a bit to shoot before moving again on the next turn.

That said, a big tip for the Gunsmith: Do not run 18 hexes down the runway, turn, and run an additional hex. That is a very good way to wind up skidding out of bounds.

Well I'll be damned. I had to go look it up because I was sure you were wrong, LOL.

OK so the actual rule is "Running/flanking unit moved after facing change while on pavement" so yup, you can totally turn at the end of your move without penalty.

Edited my post to correct the error.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 25, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Exception: I once legged a Timber Wolf by getting a fast mover to skid into it on concrete. It's an edge case and insanely risky, but mucking up a unit in the movement phase is always fun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ Not worth the attempt in the Gunsmith's case since it takes double damage from the fall, the skid, and the impact.

Pussy Cartel posted:

The other houses emphasize mechs more than the FWL does, and unlike the Liaos and Kuritas the Mariks can afford to pay for really good equipment for their infantry. The Davions aren't swimming in money like the Mariks are, and the Steiners just find the whole infantry business distasteful (and besides, mechs have bigger guns by far, so they've got to be better than infantry, right?)

Nothing tops a Tau Zombie in terms of gear, though. The armor divisor 2 gear the Clans get is about the best possible equipment fielded by a normal human.

Tau Zombies have Armor Divisor 3, which means even in the open they take less than full damage and god help you if they've got heavy buildings or worse, bunkers, to hide in.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Right, my orders are in. Almost immediately followed by a clarification question about how the secondary targeting malus works when we have to include contingencies against aces, but hey...

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ Not worth the attempt in the Gunsmith's case since it takes double damage from the fall, the skid, and the impact.

Nothing tops a Tau Zombie in terms of gear, though. The armor divisor 2 gear the Clans get is about the best possible equipment fielded by a normal human.

Tau Zombies have Armor Divisor 3, which means even in the open they take less than full damage and god help you if they've got heavy buildings or worse, bunkers, to hide in.

What the hell rear end kind of armor do they have? Energy shields?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Can someone do a sperg post about these Manei Domini guys (which I assume a Tau zombie is part of)?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

What the hell rear end kind of armor do they have? Energy shields?

Wobbie kit. Personal myomer, subdermal armor, reinforced skeleton, and all sorts of nasty stuff filling the shell of what used to be a human at one point.

They're called zombies for a reason.

It really is a shame the Jihad never got any real fiction. Getting to watch a point of Elementals panic as their anti-infantry Gauss SMGs do literally nothing to standard infantry would've been pretty amusing in a 'now the tables have turned!' way.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 25, 2016

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Just checking to see if these are sensible shooting orders or if it's getting too fussy with the contingencies.

Shooting
-
Primary target:
If one of these targets are in medium or closer range, shoot in this order of priority. Don't shoot if the to-hit is 11+, move to the next unit in the priority list.
Twist as necessary, even if it invalidates the secondary target.
Plasma Rifle @ Jump Infantry 3
Plasma Rifle @ Space Marines 4
Plasma Rifle @ Closest Sea Fox infantry unit 1,2, or 3.
Plasma Rifle @ Jump Infantry 3 in the open (long range shot is okay here)
Plasma Rifle @ Anhur in hex 1437

Secondary target:
Large Laserx2 @ Anhur in hex 1437
Medium Pulse @ Anhur in hex 1437
If the Anhur 1437 dies before I shoot at it, shoot at Anhur 1638. If THAT one is toast, shoot at Anhur 1236.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Oo, point. Wasn't thinking of the brittleness.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Wobbie Zombies are just insane. Most of the wobbie stuff is just either weird, or extremely good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

Wobbie Zombies are just insane. Most of the wobbie stuff is just either weird, or extremely good.

Pictured: A perfectly normal Human Being:

Maximum range: 15 hexes

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 25, 2016

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
(exceedingly precise) Orders in!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

My legs too are as exactly as long as my torso, checks out.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is untrue.

Man, I should re-read the rules one day, I think I've sent many mechs to the pavement that didn't need to. (But any mech fall is a good fall so I'll take them anyhow.)

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

I can't blame the guy for literally dehumanizing himself and facing to bloodshed. It's more fun than just sticking some AC/5 or LGR's in a foot platoon at least.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm loving the ridiculous bendy combat knife.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's a knife? I just assumed it was whatever would be the equivalent to a 40k purity seal.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zaodai posted:

That's a knife? I just assumed it was whatever would be the equivalent to a 40k purity seal.

Something something Blake eleison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pretty much everything beats being a member of House Kurita's elite mechanized artillery infantry.

They're 'mechanized' because the 30-odd ton thumper artillery piece they have to push around is technically a vehicle.

• Locked thread