Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Metal wolf chaos

Is literally the 2016 election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

april's game of the month came down pretty close between nuclear throne and cities skylines... nuclear throne wins !! again !!

shame of the month goes to enter the gungeon for pretending to be a good game i would like

Probably Good Game I Didn't Play of the Month goes to hyper light drifter

semper games

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oddium posted:

april's game of the month came down pretty close between nuclear throne and cities skylines... nuclear throne wins !! again !!

shame of the month goes to enter the gungeon for pretending to be a good game i would like

Probably Good Game I Didn't Play of the Month goes to hyper light drifter

semper games
Nuclear Throne is really good but I've come to accept that I'm never going to get past Lil' Hunter.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

oddium posted:

So... it's not a good game? Everyone who's mentioned it up to now seemed to have nice things to say about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked playing the new Tomb Raider this month and also Shadow of Mordor for the first time and like the half day I got to play Overwatch, which imho is going to own.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really want to get the new Ratchet and Clank but I'm scared that if I start playing it I wont go back and finish DS3.

I am bad at multi-gaming. :ohdear:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really excited for Ni-Oh and all these pixel art games.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm sure Ni-Oh won't be as great as a From title, but I'm glad that they are doing their own thing instead of straight up copying souls but missing the point like Lords of the Fallen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ni-Oh has been in development for like 13 years, I wonder how many of their ideas they had on a PS2 that just couldn't work and they shelved it and demons souls came out and somebody was like Huh...maybe...?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

raditts posted:

So... it's not a good game? Everyone who's mentioned it up to now seemed to have nice things to say about it.

It is good imo

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I haven't played DSIII in a week and I don't know when I'm going to go back and finish it. I kinda petered off at the halfway ish point I think. I've been playing Castlevania and Europa Universalis IV

Ban this man. But seriously, what Castlevania are you playing?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

Ban this man. But seriously, what Castlevania are you playing?

Every single one in order of release. I'm up to symphony of the night, before this past month the only vania I had ever played was a friend's copy of one of the GBA ones

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that's why i never got into the final fantasy stuff.(that and the combat) even the good ones. it just felt like mindless grinding for mindless grindings sake. Say what you will about bethesda plethora of issues, that least the grinding is fun.

lightnign returns is 20 hours long

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Training posted:

Every single one in order of release. I'm up to symphony of the night, before this past month the only vania I had ever played was a friend's copy of one of the GBA ones

Did you actually beat them all? Because that means you cleared Rondo somehow.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I did not beat all of them, some I played a stage or 2 and quit (like the two kid Dracula games and the third Game Boy game), some I wussed out and used save states to get through the crazy hard stages at the end, like Bloodlines (only one with limited continues, which, gently caress that) and Castlevania III.

Rondo I beat 3 times because I enjoyed so much and got 100% and saw every ending

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Rondo is not very difficult compared to the NES Castlevanias, at least there's some decent checkpointing in Rondo, and if need be you can always use Maria.

Also, In Training, don't skip over Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth. It's not super hard but it was developed by M2 and is a whole lot of fun. But nobody remembers it because dead on arrival due to being a Wiiware-exclusive.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

In Training posted:

Do yourself a favor and stop with Order of Ecclesia and Castlevania The Adventure: Rebirth.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

Rondo is not very difficult compared to the NES Castlevanias, at least there's some decent checkpointing in Rondo, and if need be you can always use Maria.

Also, In Training, don't skip over Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth. It's not super hard but it was developed by M2 and is a whole lot of fun. But nobody remembers it because dead on arrival due to being a Wiiware-exclusive.

It's on the list! The only ones I currently have no plans of trying are Simon's Quest (although I've heard there's a romhack that fixes it kind of), the first N64 game since its in the second one, and the Lords of Shadow games because I've seen some video and they don't really look like interesting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also I'm not playing the 360 4 player one because I don't have a360.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

Seath is in Kings Field?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He's the last boss of KF2 IIRC

FactsAreUseless posted:

This owns. I had no idea about this.

Specifically, Seath is the final boss of King's Field 3 (which was released outside of japan as King's Field 2)

In it, Seath is the dragon of light, the white dragon, the feathered, holy dragon, no scales. You have to beat him up because it turns out he was only helping you along in the first and second king's field game so that you would take out his cyclops dark dragon rival Guyra while becoming strong enough for him to take a new form. Guyra was also recycled into Kalameet.

I love the king's field games and I am glad I played and completed the first 3 games since there really is a ton of poo poo in there that I see and go "oh hey I remember that from the souls games" like the dragonbro covenant and Seath & Kalameet and Quelaag and Bed of Chaos

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Oh also I'm not playing the 360 4 player one because I don't have a360.

They came out with slightly improved version for the PS3 if you really wanna try it out.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The multiplayer game is more fun than it had any right to be.

Also you can mix and match the song remixes to play wherever you want.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlbY_LGPzYw

man i can't wait for monster hunter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Please remember to play Castlevania Chronicles it is a port of the sharp x68000 Castlevania and its good!!!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Jay Rust posted:

So we're nearing the end of the month, friends

What was the GotM?

Besides Dark Souls

For me? Rocket League.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

:agreed:

raditts posted:

I wish they would make Metal Wolf Chaos sequels their Thing

I would settle for a not-serious Armored Core spinoff, but I'm on board with this.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Where did the dota thread go. I never read the drat thing but I was looking for it the other day and it's vanished. Did it get gassed or some poo poo?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Where did the dota thread go. I never read the drat thing but I was looking for it the other day and it's vanished. Did it get gassed or some poo poo?

From what I hear, it got gassed for being entirely bad.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

worse, it's in the CCCC

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent355 posted:

It got gassed, brought back, then got gassed again, then got revived to be put into CCCC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Symphony of the Night is an incredibly good game, I think the only slight I have against it is that there are like 6 rooms you need to find for 100% that are just randomly blocks you can break. I gave up searching and used google to find them, that's a little annoying. But otherwise, wow! What a game, and richter mode is a fun challenge

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

Symphony of the Night is an incredibly good game, I think the only slight I have against it is that there are like 6 rooms you need to find for 100% that are just randomly blocks you can break. I gave up searching and used google to find them, that's a little annoying. But otherwise, wow! What a game, and richter mode is a fun challenge

Something Yahtzee pointed out that doesn't get enough credit, and it applies to Dark Souls as well, but SotN is one of the few games that has totally unique enemies relegated to single, optional rooms. Every corner of the castle has unique enemy sprites and encounters and that's so rare, especially in the "let's reuse the same sprites for twenty years" Castlevania series. Dark Souls does that too--those red frog creatures are hidden within a rather well-tucked-away optional zone and nowhere else will you find them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aren't half the sprites in Symphony reused from Rondo of Blood.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

In Training posted:

Buddy, if you only hit 100% in Symphony of the Night have I got a surprise for you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Then they reuse the hydra, the mushroomboys and the clamthings in Ash Lake, which was disappointing given how uniquely gorgeous the area is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Buddy, if you only hit 100% in Symphony of the Night have I got a surprise for you.

I meant 200%. well i only got 195% but i know which area i skipped because i kinda just wanted to see the ending

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

SotN is a reminder that sprite art will always look good

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust posted:

Then they reuse the hydra, the mushroomboys and the clamthings in Ash Lake, which was disappointing given how uniquely gorgeous the area is

Ash Lake has still not been topped in the Souls game. Ironically, the best sense of wonder and awe that I've gotten in the same way I did when I found that place was going out under the stars in Salt and Sanctuary. It's a sudden shift of tone and visual look and it feels great, despite or maybe because there's no music

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

SotN is a reminder that sprite art will always look good

I just booted up the N64 game next and yeah, woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
SotN was good for the time but having all your magic abilities and transformation powers tied to fighting game-style combos was pants-on-head stupid, especially when it already had an equipment system.

• Locked thread