Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Since when does the PSN store charge tax? I wasn't charged tax when I got Salt and Sanctuary, and now I'm being charged tax for Alienation. The total is under $20 so it's OK, but if it was $20 then tax I'd have to buy even more prepaid cards. I don't want to keep a card on my account with what I hear about Sony and their don't give a poo poo if you're hacked attitude.

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Schroeder91 posted:

Since when does the PSN store charge tax? I wasn't charged tax when I got Salt and Sanctuary, and now I'm being charged tax for Alienation. The total is under $20 so it's OK, but if it was $20 then tax I'd have to buy even more prepaid cards. I don't want to keep a card on my account with what I hear about Sony and their don't give a poo poo if you're hacked attitude.

Did you move recently? Some states charge tax for online purchases. About six or seven years ago when I was living in Michigan I was being charged tax on PSN purchases when I wasn't supposed to be and they actually refunded my account a shitload of money from a bunch of previous purchases eventually. If you haven't moved you might want to contact support.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Schroeder91 posted:

Where do you live? It's possible they expanded the areas they charge tax to (other stores like Amazon have had this happen).

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Tempo 119 posted:

You have to climb around and hack cherry pickers and stuff to reach network hubs to reveal parts of the map. They're kind of neat puzzles sometimes, but it all evokes Assassin's Creed so hard you're like, goddamn it Watch Dogs man why can't you just parkour up this tiny wall.

Watch Dogs feels to me like the first Assassin's Creed, where they know the game they want to make, but don't quite have the things in place to completely realize it. Like, the groundwork for a pretty good game is there, but it's lost under a slog of weird design decisions. I liked it well enough when I got it for, like, :10bux: on Steam awhile back, and kinda hope the inevitable sequel has a leap in quality like AC1 to 2.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Anyway, Watchdogs isn't really that bad once you lower your expectations to the Ubisoft setting.

I think WD has a number of problems that are pretty unique to it as far as Ubisoft open world's go, mostly stemming from how hosed the writing was. To Assassin's Creeds benefit there was never a cell phone so that they could contradict the cutscenes in order to make the mc look maybe not so terrible. Then there's the aside with Bedbug that ultimately doesn't do anything for the plot. Then there's the late game villain of about 2 or 3 missions that just wastes your time and only plays out into anything meaningful in the dlc.

If watch dogs feels like it can maybe be a good game to anybody who picks it up you should check out the dlc.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

even as a free game, you'd be better off spending actual money on almost anything other than watchdogs, the most generic and offensively boring of Third Person Open World Nothing To loving Do games

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

MinibarMatchman posted:

even as a free game, you'd be better off spending actual money on almost anything other than watchdogs, the most generic and offensively boring of Third Person Open World Nothing To loving Do games

I think the "nothing to do" thing is the biggest problem in a lot of open world games these days. Like, it has to be open world, even if the structure of the game doesn't necessarily support it. Nothing's ever going to do it as well as Saints Row, and people should just sort of stop trying already.

Also, my favorite part of Watch Dogs open world was finding the cup and ball game, because they guy actually used lift and palm tricks to try to confuse you. It was a neat little thing in an otherwise bland-but-serviceable game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

At least the multiplayer is good

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

univbee posted:

Where do you live? It's possible they expanded the areas they charge tax to (other stores like Amazon have had this happen).

I'm in Arizona and haven't moved. Didn't Amazon have to do that because they have a physical location in the state? We have a warehouse here I believe.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
WatchUnderscoreDogs has a godawful campaign but multiplayer invasions are hilarious, they earned me way more hatemail than Dark Souls ever did. I'll definitely boot it up again if it goes free on PS+.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm in Arizona and haven't moved. Didn't Amazon have to do that because they have a physical location in the state? We have a warehouse here I believe.

Lobbyists in some States were pushing Amazon really hard for it for a long time because local businesses were getting wrecked by the "discount" Amazon offered because they didn't have to charge tax.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah i am definitely more likely to just buy a game on my way home now rather than getting literally everything on amazon to avoid tax

still no psn tax thankfully

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

Counterpoint. I've liked all of them (though I never finished Indigo Prophecy) counterpoint to my counterpoint I love ET for the atari so I'm not sure I'm a qualified judge of quality gaming.

I refuse to believe a person could actually have enjoyed Omikron

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

although "local businesses" is like walmart and gamestop in my town so...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Taratang posted:

WatchUnderscoreDogs has a godawful campaign but multiplayer invasions are hilarious, they earned me way more hatemail than Dark Souls ever did. I'll definitely boot it up again if it goes free on PS+.

holy poo poo I forgot this. How soon can you do that and gently caress with people, I'd play it just to do that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

I refuse to believe a person could actually have enjoyed Omikron
I enjoyed the idea of omikron...

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

MinibarMatchman posted:

holy poo poo I forgot this. How soon can you do that and gently caress with people, I'd play it just to do that.

There's a one shot kill Sniper Rifle that is pretty late game that also takes out cars. I think most people use that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mayor McCheese posted:

There's a one shot kill Sniper Rifle that is pretty late game that also takes out cars. I think most people use that.
You can get it as soon as you can unlock and complete ten Criminal Convoy side missions.

http://watchdogs.wikia.com/wiki/Destroyer

With this all you need to do is flee in such a way that your opponent will approach in your line of sight (since it's virtually impossible to blend into NPC traffic and still catch up to anyone) and then freely one-shot any car that steps out of line. This won't help you in cases where you're the pursuer but you more or less have total control over that, especially since due to the setup needed there are ways to check and tell when you're being invaded (and of course, ways to encourage more invasions).

To sum up basically if you're the one being invaded in Watch Dogs and don't win you're either ignorant or braindead.

(Or loving around, I suppose)

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 25, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I enjoyed the idea of omikron...

It was certainly ambitious

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Killing people is boring. Invading others and watching them run around like a headless chicken trying to find you is where it's at.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Trip report for Replay: VHS is not Dead. It's a pretty fun and inventive indie puzzler. It uses a single player co-op design where you move one of your people and then rewind the tape to control the other, timing actions to interact with each other. It's definitely indie but it controls well and if you're into getting Gold times, you'll need to be exceptionally well timed because they give you barely any margin of error.

It's on sale in the EU for a few more hours so check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcCVLot8P1I

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How much of Watch Dogs is locked away behind story progression, anyway? I can totally see myself downloading it just to fire it up every now and then and dick around in rainy virtual Chicago for a bit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

How much of Watch Dogs is locked away behind story progression, anyway? I can totally see myself downloading it just to fire it up every now and then and dick around in rainy virtual Chicago for a bit.

The entire map is accessible but different regions are locked for hacking shenanigans until you reach a certain point in the story, if memory serves.

KOF14 is getting released August 23rd, with loving 50 fighters. Capcom is probably in for some embarassment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_x8Z3ogwI

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

My Lovely Horse posted:

I seem to remember it opens up quickly enough, but it doesn't really reward freeform play so much as the standard Ubisoft "go to all the dots and do these side missions" crap. You can actually go around and 'unlock' the other parts of the map (to enable your hacking there) way earlier than the story ever asks you to if I remember correctly.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

univbee posted:

KOF14 is getting released August 23rd, with loving 50 fighters. Capcom is probably in for some embarassment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_x8Z3ogwI

I know people probably think it looks like borderline early PS3 poo poo but I'll take 50 plastic doll characters churned out with actual modes and poo poo over the regret I've had buying loving Street Fighter any day. might help that the actual fighting gameplay won't be dogshit like SFV

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KOFXIV is going to eat SFV's lunch, as will Revelator

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Whether or not I download watch dogs is entirely dependent on how early I can just beeline to the Spider Tank minigame because it was the one thing that actually looked fun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

In Training posted:

KOFXIV is going to eat SFV's lunch, as will Revelator

Neither Revelator nor KoF14 will gain the kind of visibility and traction that SF5 enjoys just by virtue of being Street Fighter. :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phantasium posted:

Whether or not I download watch dogs is entirely dependent on how early I can just beeline to the Spider Tank minigame because it was the one thing that actually looked fun.

If you know where it is on the map you can go to it right away.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Neither Revelator nor KoF14 will gain the kind of visibility and traction that SF5 enjoys just by virtue of being Street Fighter. :shrug:

KOF and Guilty Gear are big names for people who like fighting games though, and at the end of the day that's all that matters for me. I'll always have somebody to play against

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

In Training posted:

KOF and Guilty Gear are big names for people who like fighting games though, and at the end of the day that's all that matters for me. I'll always have somebody to play against

Yeah, I think they'll both be good and have healthy player pools, but saying they're going to eat SF5's lunch money isn't exactly accurate.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Everything completely opens up within the first hour or so, but that was apparently a late decision because the main missions keep tutorialising stuff like you're unlocking it for the first time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, I think they'll both be good and have healthy player pools, but saying they're going to eat SF5's lunch money isn't exactly accurate.

I didn't mean lunch money, just their lunch.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

King of Fighters is going to be worrying because there's a big stigma about the graphics. Sure they look poor but with 3D models they don't have the Namco or Capcom finance to make a 50 character roster poof out of thin air. Gameplay's probably be great

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

If you know where it is on the map you can go to it right away.

Couldn't you launch it straight from the phone pretty much immediately?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

Everything completely opens up within the first hour or so, but that was apparently a late decision because the main missions keep tutorialising stuff like you're unlocking it for the first time.
That at least is something I'm familiar with, having played an Assassin's Creed.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Man, Watchdogs is like the ultimate Monkeys paw wish for anyone that wanted more AAA games on PS+.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

I know people probably think it looks like borderline early PS3 poo poo but I'll take 50 plastic doll characters churned out with actual modes and poo poo over the regret I've had buying loving Street Fighter any day. might help that the actual fighting gameplay won't be dogshit like SFV

More games need to take their crazy graphics down a peg and replace them with sweet sweet gameplay. :colbert:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

King of Dinosaurs is extremely my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't forget one of the bosses in Watch_Dogs is former GBS moderator, deadmuse.

• Locked thread