Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

kid sinister posted:

You're from the UK? I thought they called GFCIs something different there.

Then why even run conduit there? The 2 main benefits of conduit instead of running bundled wires is to run multiple circuits along the same path, and ease of updating the wiring in the future.
Not from the UK, continental Europe. We call a GFCI an "Earth Leak Switch", because it switches off when current leaks to earth.

The main benefit of conduit is that they can put it in the concrete walls and floors when they're being cast. Opening up a wall to put an extra conduit in is a hell of a job involving a wall chaser, rotary hammer, concrete, and stucco.
Though you're right, adding in ground wires to the parts of the house where there was none was pretty easy. Much easier than it would have been if they had just stuck 2 conductor wire in the concrete.

There is an exception to this whole no-bundeling, no-conduit sharing rule. It's called YMVK cable. YMVK gets a pass because it itself counts as being cable and conduit in one. My shed/workshop is on a circuit that uses YMVK-AS cable. the -AS denoting a braided steel jacket that is used as the ground conductor, making it safe to bury the cable. I think it's sort of comparable to your Romex, although I don't know how Romex is with burying cables and being flame retardant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
At least one clean out is accessible.

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 25, 2016

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Deedle posted:

Not from the UK, continental Europe. We call a GFCI an "Earth Leak Switch", because it switches off when current leaks to earth.

The main benefit of conduit is that they can put it in the concrete walls and floors when they're being cast. Opening up a wall to put an extra conduit in is a hell of a job involving a wall chaser, rotary hammer, concrete, and stucco.
Though you're right, adding in ground wires to the parts of the house where there was none was pretty easy. Much easier than it would have been if they had just stuck 2 conductor wire in the concrete.

There is an exception to this whole no-bundeling, no-conduit sharing rule. It's called YMVK cable. YMVK gets a pass because it itself counts as being cable and conduit in one. My shed/workshop is on a circuit that uses YMVK-AS cable. the -AS denoting a braided steel jacket that is used as the ground conductor, making it safe to bury the cable. I think it's sort of comparable to your Romex, although I don't know how Romex is with burying cables and being flame retardant.

That sorta makes sense, but only sorta.

Romex is really just a brand name (though it's kinda like Kleenex or Asprin at this point). Basic in-wall cable is technically NM-B and is not rated for direct burial or use encased in concrete or anything like that. The stuff rated for direct-burial is called UF.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Okay guys, protip time: if you're linking an image from imgur, you can put an 'l' (that's a lowercase 'L') right before the file extension to get a size that won't gently caress up the forum tables. So e.g. instead of https://imgur.com/PGoDp2X.jpg you can use https://imgur.com/PGoDp2Xl.jpg and get this:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Haha, yeah, I'm not really that surprised, it was just a moment of thoughtlessness. Forget testing tools (which I already own) I could have just flipped the switch to make sure the circuit was dead. :downs:

Flipping the switch is a good positive test, but a bad negative test. That is, if the disposal comes on, the circuit is on for sure. If it doesn't come on, it doesn't tell you much. Remember, you're probably opening up the box because something is broken. You're not sure what is broken quite yet. This is the crappy construction thread, you should expect backfeeding, 5 circuits in a box, and live, abandoned knob and tube with asbestos wiring in the box.

Learn to use a volt meter (the kind that gives you numbers, not just a yes or no), and test it using similar voltage before each use. Working on 120 volts? Test it on a working outlet first. That way you know the 0v reading you see is true, and not just because your meter is broken.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Okay guys, protip time: if you're linking an image from imgur, you can put an 'l' (that's a lowercase 'L') right before the file extension to get a size that won't gently caress up the forum tables. So e.g. instead of https://imgur.com/PGoDp2X.jpg you can use https://imgur.com/PGoDp2Xl.jpg and get this:

I forgot some people don't use SA specific browser extensions, oops.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Guy Axlerod posted:

This is the crappy construction thread, you should expect backfeeding, 5 circuits in a box, and live, abandoned knob and tube with asbestos wiring in the box.

Not 400 lbs of concrete in a 1-gang box?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Zhentar posted:

UK rings aren't 16A though, they're 32. Deedle is probably in some other Euro country (which probably requires conduit because they consider unprotected NM cable frighteningly vulnerable to damage and thus dangerous).
Normal installation wire in my neck of the woods is 2.5mm^2 solid copper, so approximately #13 AWG. Apart from the whole being encased in concrete, this stuff comes with 0.5mm of insulation. We buy this stuff per conductor and colour.

The most crowded conduit in my house has 8 conductors in it. The normal brown, blue, green-yellow for phase, neutral, ground, and a bunch of black for two lighting circuits. Because it is all on the same group and the conduit is less than 30% filled it's all perfectly legal.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Previous owner decided connecting a new faucet to this disaster was a good idea:

Predictably, it started leaking and needed to be replaced.

I hate gate valves. There are only two remaining in my house, and they will go as soon as we replace the water heater. Every other gate valve has failed, and I've had to replace it (we've only owned the house for 4 months).

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmOoAWrn1kM

Electric showerheads are already scary, and this one is especially so

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is a security feature at Trump Tower. Only Donald’s tiny hands can fit in there to insert the key.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Platystemon posted:

This is a security feature at Trump Tower. Only Donald’s tiny hands can fit in there to insert the key.

Much like Donald, the key is very short, so he gives the lock a lot of money.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmOoAWrn1kM
Electric showerheads are already scary, and this one is especially so
Here is what the inside looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjA0aee07k

It does not make you feel any better about using one of those.... especially with no ground connection.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

So does the coin bridge the breaker or keep you from flipping it?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It looks like a hole to put a padlock through to prevent flipping the breaker to me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

suuma posted:

It looks like a hole to put a padlock through to prevent flipping the breaker to me.

Preventing a person from flipping it manually, but it’ll still flip internally on overload.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Aren't the padlocked breakers usually so you can padlock them *off*. So if you got some guy fixing a big machine he can lock it off and not worry about being killed when some schmo turns it back on.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Paging everyone in the osha thread to come over and talk about safety lockouts and why they are sacred religious icons of safety.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Is the problem that the padlock thinger is bent so that the switch is inoperable?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's a washer, not a lock out. And it appears they cut into the breaker to "install" it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LordSaturn posted:

Is the problem that the padlock thinger is bent so that the switch is inoperable?

Bingo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OSHA/comments/4gifjp/they_got_tired_of_the_breaker_tripping_so_they/

According to reddit they were tired of it tripping so they bent the lockout attachment over in an attempt to stop it.

Who needs to solve the problem, just (try to) hide the symptoms!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh wow, it really was a lockout. It totally looked like a washer from that pic I had.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
This was hiding under the linoleum, which was under the carpet, in the living room of the ~1928-built house my mom is finally renovating.

other crappy parts: when they leveled it the drywall in the living room sort of exploded off the walls, and now there's a gap between the concrete wall on the short end of the house and the actual load-bearing bits

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

atomicthumbs posted:

This was hiding under the linoleum, which was under the carpet, in the living room of the ~1928-built house my mom is finally renovating.

other crappy parts: when they leveled it the drywall in the living room sort of exploded off the walls, and now there's a gap between the concrete wall on the short end of the house and the actual load-bearing bits

FloorBulb (TM): for when you really need to look for that tiny screw you dropped and / or want to provide a convenient floor-level heat source for your cat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Potato Alley posted:

FloorBulb (TM): for when you really need to look for that tiny screw you dropped and / or want to provide a convenient floor-level heat source for your cat.

The Edison screw fitting pre‐dates the two‐bladed plug and socket.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Huh. So it actually enforces polarity. Did they even bother with which terminal was hot and which was neutral back then?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

flosofl posted:

Huh. So it actually enforces polarity. Did they even bother with which terminal was hot and which was neutral back then?

Yes. There were occasional mistakes, but having the sleeve hot was more dangerous than the alternative so they tried to get it right.

I’ll bet you’ve bumped bare metal with your fingers while changing a bulb in an awkward fixture at least once.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Platystemon posted:

I had no loving clue this existed. That's pretty interesting, thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I actually thought it was a screw-in socket for a fuse, after I rejected the floor-bulb idea.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

You can warm your house and have some convenient toast at the same time.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Platystemon posted:

That's actually pretty cool. Never heard of that before.
Also the electric butt plug warmer there is a pretty revolutionary idea probably pretty ahead-of-its-time at the time though

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

That's actually pretty cool. Never heard of that before.
Also the electric butt plug warmer there is a pretty revolutionary idea probably pretty ahead-of-its-time at the time though

I think those actually are the butt plugs.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Platystemon posted:

yes, but NEMA 1 was definitely fully in use by the time this thing was built.

Leperflesh posted:

I actually thought it was a screw-in socket for a fuse, after I rejected the floor-bulb idea.

no fuses here! nothing but reliable Stab-Lok circuit breakers by Federal Pacific Electric.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Well? Was it hot? Lick your fingers and find out.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My house still has a few of those. I also have several "plugs" for them - they're made of porcelain and just cover up the socket so babby doesn't get a shock I guess.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Well? Was it hot? Lick your fingers and find out.

I put a light bulb in it and flipped the switch and nothing happened :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

atomicthumbs posted:

that is kinda disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

atomicthumbs posted:

Do bear in mind that since the socket is upside down on the floor, you'll need to either invert your bulb or track down an australian one. A north american bulb installed in the standard orientation won't work here.