Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I used to upgrade the second there was an open box of the new generation at Best Buy or Microcenter, but after like 4 years of that poo poo I was tired of blowing $200-$300 for a tiny improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Pivo posted:

Guess I missed that. Didn't think a 2015 laptop could be returned but I guess he bought it recently. What does Apple give you, 14 days? That's not a long time to make a decision if you have to wait for shipping too. Oh well. Still dumb IMO. The refurb was prolly significantly cheaper than the new hotness.

Yeah - both machines will be in a return window. I haven't bought a new mac in 3 or 4 years, and that was a 15" Ivy. That machine is with a friend that needed a loaner, so my only laptop has been work-issued for the last 2 years. Pretty lovely position to be in if you do coding on the side...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/04/review-the-2016-retina-macbook-is-a-faster-version-of-the-same-machine/

2016 MacBook Benchies

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My M7 rMB is delivered and waiting and it looks like its going to be a nice upgrade from my 2011 MBA :unsmith:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I am dumb. Is a new rMBP going to be a big bump from what I have now?

Macbook Air 13" Mid 2013
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB memory
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

I am dumb. Is a new rMBP going to be a big bump from what I have now?

Macbook Air 13" Mid 2013
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB memory
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

No.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MrChupon posted:

I would be skeptical to buy a 128GB computer for $750 in 2016, but I suppose it at least has an SD slot.

It's totally doable if you don't have a sizable photo/audio/video library, and/or don't mind toting around an external drive for those things.

I keep audio/video on an external exFAT drive (use bother Windows and OS X,) ~6GB photo library on internal, dual boot Windows 7, have some fatties like Xcode, Photoshop, and MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and I tend to have around 50GB out of 128GB free. I've had this laptop for about a year now, and storage space has never been an issue.

Now, I definitely agree that it'd be nice to have 256GB or more to play with, so I could keep my audio/video library on the internal storage, and keep the external around for the bi-monthly time machine backup. I just couldn't justify the price hike at the time, especially so since I knew I didn't need ultra fast storage for my audio/video usage (strictly playback, no editing/compiling.)

128GB can work! Especially for the sizable group of customers who would likely only buy an Air for light Internet-centric usage.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You can also triple the storage of that 128 GB by getting a 256 GB UHS-10 SD card for $80 off of Amazon, probably even cheaper than that if you look real hard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Air is my travel machine (and right now, my only machine as I had to sell my iMac before moving) and even despite be 4/128 limits I still use it for Lightroom with 24mp images. It's not fast and I can't keep the images on there long, but it's usable enough. Like, I want a new iMac in the next 6 months but I probably won't change this machine for another year or two.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Man, this new keyboard is weird but I really like it.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

Man, this new keyboard is weird but I really like it.

This is the 1.3? Are you using it for any heavy work? Coding or compiling?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

krooj posted:

This is the 1.3? Are you using it for any heavy work? Coding or compiling?

Nope. Eventually I'll do some light VM stuff but I've only had it for 2 hours now.

E: it's the M7.

I have brew installed so if you know something I can do to test it, I'm happy to try.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have the 128/4 2014 MBA and I'm pretty happy with it. It's pretty much my primary computer for light video and photo editing and lovely web development work. The resolution bothers me more than the other ~specz~ these days.

But I do lust after a maxed out 15" rMBP that I can dualboot and justify ditching my aging Windows desktop.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Huh, the new Macbook seems to benchmark almost identically to the 13" Air, and not too far behind the rMBP. I assume it probably tapers off during longer tasks due to thermal throttling, but maybe it'd work for a coding machine after all.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IuniusBrutus posted:

Huh, the new Macbook seems to benchmark almost identically to the 13" Air, and not too far behind the rMBP. I assume it probably tapers off during longer tasks due to thermal throttling, but maybe it'd work for a coding machine after all.

Don't some people do coding on an iPad? I've heard many people say you "can't" do video editing on a MBA, but it's really not that bad for simple things. I'm sure the MB is the same way and you could do simple anything on it as long as nothing is in chrome.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It depends. Do you edit code over SFTP on some VM you connect to over VPN? That'll be fine on a potato.

Do you run big compiles of gigantic monolithic C/C++ applications, that then run tests that consume GB of RAM? THAT might not be so fun.

"Coding" is different for different people. Some people who write 'code' do it in MATLAB.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hi Goons, is the 2016 MacBook worth $500 more than the 2015? I can pick up a return 2016 for $1450ish and a new 2016 for $1999. I won't really be doing anything intensive on it, but would like to do a little bit of video editing (mainly editing my GoPro clips from motorbike riding). I have a 2010 C2D MBP and if I do buy a new MB, I'd like for it to have the same sort of lifespan. Would this be wishful thinking?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Guni posted:

Hi Goons, is the 2016 MacBook worth $500 more than the 2015? I can pick up a return 2016 for $1450ish and a new 2016 for $1999. I won't really be doing anything intensive on it, but would like to do a little bit of video editing (mainly editing my GoPro clips from motorbike riding). I have a 2010 C2D MBP and if I do buy a new MB, I'd like for it to have the same sort of lifespan. Would this be wishful thinking?

No

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I ordered five "Magsafe to Magsafe 2" converters (they have a habit of disappearing in my office), and just got them in the mail...along with two USB power adapters (the little ones). Is this a thing? Like, order enough of whatever and they just chuck some in the box as a bonus? They don't come with lightning cables so they're worth about five cents to me, but I thought it was interesting.

:psyduck: You can't even order these things on the website, are they just offloading their junk?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

jackpot posted:

I ordered five "Magsafe to Magsafe 2" converters (they have a habit of disappearing in my office), and just got them in the mail...along with two USB power adapters (the little ones). Is this a thing? Like, order enough of whatever and they just chuck some in the box as a bonus? They don't come with lightning cables so they're worth about five cents to me, but I thought it was interesting.

:psyduck: You can't even order these things on the website, are they just offloading their junk?

You mean these?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Guni posted:

Hi Goons, is the 2016 MacBook worth $500 more than the 2015? I can pick up a return 2016 for $1450ish and a new 2016 for $1999.

If you buy a MacBook for $2000 you need punched in the face.

tuyop posted:

Don't some people do coding on an iPad?

I remember that short time period where people used an iPad + keyboard to ssh into a VPS and then use vim. 'THIS IS ALL I NEED'

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob Morales posted:

I remember that short time period where people used an iPad + keyboard to ssh into a VPS and then use vim. 'THIS IS ALL I NEED'

Or you have disposable income and should spend on whatever you like!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

It's probably a very nice computer. :shobon:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

On the scale of dumb poo poo people spend money on, a computer is pretty inoffensive. Last weekend I worked a fundraising auction where someone bid $8,600 to spend a day with the local SWAT team.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

When my father worked as a developer at Honda Canada Mfg, they needed some station moved 20 metres down the assembly line. It just involved putting more Ethernet through an existing conduit, power was already there, and actually moving the system. It was just some thing for scanning part numbers. An intern could have done it, it's trivial work.

But no. They have a fully insured consultant they use for that kind of work. You know what they charged for like 30m of work? $25,000.

So money and what things are worth are relative. They pump out a Civic every 60 seconds so they need someone to blame if things go wrong, and that's expensive. But yeah they billed 25 grand to string some cable and move a computer.

Money stops making sense when you learn about things like that. A $2000 computer shouldn't be about the raw dollar value, its about "does it fit my needs" "do I need it" "do I like it" "can I afford it". The price tag itself is irrelevant from that lens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Weedle posted:

On the scale of dumb poo poo people spend money on, a computer is pretty inoffensive. Last weekend I worked a fundraising auction where someone bid $8,600 to spend a day with the local SWAT team.

:bustem:

Someone spent $330k to eat lunch with Tim Cook

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I hope Tim just made them look at minion memes on his phone the whole time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pivo posted:

When my father worked as a developer at Honda Canada Mfg, they needed some station moved 20 metres down the assembly line. It just involved putting more Ethernet through an existing conduit, power was already there, and actually moving the system. It was just some thing for scanning part numbers. An intern could have done it, it's trivial work.

But no. They have a fully insured consultant they use for that kind of work. You know what they charged for like 30m of work? $25,000.

So money and what things are worth are relative. They pump out a Civic every 60 seconds so they need someone to blame if things go wrong, and that's expensive. But yeah they billed 25 grand to string some cable and move a computer.

Money stops making sense when you learn about things like that. A $2000 computer shouldn't be about the raw dollar value, its about "does it fit my needs" "do I need it" "do I like it" "can I afford it". The price tag itself is irrelevant from that lens.

There is a pretty big gently caress]ng difference between gives no fucks about money industrial spending and Joe Internet buying a personal use PC. Honda gives no fucks about $25k because it's a rounding error in their daily expenses. For someone making even 100k a year dropping 2k on a laptop is worth thinking about long enough to buy something that gets the most bang for your buck.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

There is a pretty big gently caress]ng difference between gives no fucks about money industrial spending and Joe Internet buying a personal use PC. Honda gives no fucks about $25k because it's a rounding error in their daily expenses. For someone making even 100k a year dropping 2k on a laptop is worth thinking about long enough to buy something that gets the most bang for your buck.

"Bang for your buck" means different things to different people. If the main thing people look for in a computer is being as thin and light as possible and raw computing power is a tertiary concern, the MacBook might be perfect for them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah I've got no problem with that. What I find hilarious is the notion that cost shouldn't be a factor in choosing something apparently because industry can afford expensive CYA measures.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

All I'm saying is that cost is relative. I don't make 100k, but I could afford a 2k machine. If I really wanted the drat thing, I'd get it. Would I RECOMMEND someone buy it? No... I don't think the price premium is worth the industrial design. But it is incredibly light and thin and powerful enough for the work a lot of people do, so maybe the whole fanless razor-thin design thing is worth the money to them if they travel a lot. I love my 15" rMBP but if I was on planes every day, or walking around the city a lot every day, I would probably get something else.

So, Honda can drop 25k to have an insured contractor do trivial work so that they can keep pumping out Civics. And someone who needs a super light and thin runabout can drop 2k...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bob Morales posted:

Can you imagine how that would've gone with Steve? Would've spent the whole time berating you over your dress sense or similar. Would've been worth it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can you imagine how that would've gone with Steve? Would've spent the whole time berating you over your dress sense or similar. Would've been worth it.

Steve didn't believe in charity so it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
I'm having a problem with HDMI-Multiport-Adapter for the early 2015 Macbook (this guy)

Around the time the OS X 10.11.4 hit the USB-Port of the thing stopped working reliably with external hard drives. Can't really tell if the problem is actually related to the OS X update, though.

The lights on the HDD are turning on, so the device IS getting power. I already tried rebooting and plugging in a different hard drive (which works on my windows machine). The USB-C-Port and the HDMI-Port of the adapter still work fine. Strangely enough, a simple USB flash drive DOES work, so I am thinking it might be a problem with the hard drive not getting enough power. The macbook also seems to charge slower when charging through the adapte (with nothing else attached), which supports the not-enough-power-theory.

How would I go about diagnosing this problem on OS X? Or is the answer just "go to the apple store"?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The speaker on the Macbook is fantastic. Way nicer than my MBA.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

coke zero mit mayo posted:

I'm having a problem with HDMI-Multiport-Adapter for the early 2015 Macbook (this guy)

Around the time the OS X 10.11.4 hit the USB-Port of the thing stopped working reliably with external hard drives. Can't really tell if the problem is actually related to the OS X update, though.

The lights on the HDD are turning on, so the device IS getting power. I already tried rebooting and plugging in a different hard drive (which works on my windows machine). The USB-C-Port and the HDMI-Port of the adapter still work fine. Strangely enough, a simple USB flash drive DOES work, so I am thinking it might be a problem with the hard drive not getting enough power. The macbook also seems to charge slower when charging through the adapte (with nothing else attached), which supports the not-enough-power-theory.

If you check for updates with just the HDMI Multiport Adapter plugged in, there's supposed to be an update to the adapter firmware:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205858

Don't know if it will solve your power problem. Most people (Including Apple) only supply the bare minimum power on these USB-C hubs.

Any USB-C power passthrough hub, whether Apple or not, will draw power from the main 29W line to run the HDMI / USB / Ethernet ports, which is why the MacBook charges slower.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I have a 5k iMac and I must scream.

Opened it about half an hour ago, have mostly just been setting things up, but it's really nice.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Are apps like Memory Clean needed/useful?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

TopherCStone posted:

I have a 5k iMac and I must scream.

Opened it about half an hour ago, have mostly just been setting things up, but it's really nice.

Did you get a Fusion drive or all SSD?

I don't even bother with those as you can just issue 'sudo purge' in the Terminal and it does pretty much the same thing. Results may vary depending on how bad you've managed to fragment RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nah they're mostly just UI nonsense. RAM allocation on OSX is really good.