Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I want to recommend HG GX or DX, but I really can't. Too many stickers to really have fun with the build.

what will i do without my purpose in life :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I want to recommend HG GX or DX, but I really can't. Too many stickers to really have fun with the build.

Oh, speaking of, you'll have to help him with the yellow chest sticker for the Sniper, but it's a good introduction to the wild world of high quality, oddly shaped Bandai stickers.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Man Rodi and Gundam Gusion frogbots from IBO are cheap and good.

I'd be a little leery of getting the HG Graze for a beginner, them parts is tiny.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bimmi posted:

The Man Rodi and Gundam Gusion frogbots from IBO are cheap and good.

I'd be a little leery of getting the HG Graze for a beginner, them parts is tiny.

As much as I love the sniper, I'd say it's a bit worse on that count. Most of it's good, but the visor optic is a nightmare. Fiddlier than the smart parts on most RGs.

I'm voting for the Revive Guncannon. Not too many small parts, great articulation, looks nice out of the box.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

still need to paint my HG GX in kai's colors

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

homeless snail posted:

What are some good starter HG kits for a kid that's never done any modelling before, that will be fairly easy for him to put together, look cool without paneling potentially, and aren't overly fragile? Hanging out with my nephew this summer and the two things he loves more than anything else are assembling things from instructions and sick robots so I think gunpla might be something he'd be way into. He has no affinity for the show so he won't care what series its from so long as it looks cool.

Gonna get a couple of kits, thinking a RX-78, a Zaku. maybe a Hi-Mock? Any suggestions for baby gunpla?

I like this little bundle: https://www.hlj.com/product/BAN950665/Gun

Three kits for $20. Four stickers between all of them.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Not bad for 20 bux, but the Z'gok and Gogg are bona fide antiques. I'd really like to see the latter get an update.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Man I got lucky at this small con in my home city. Managed to randomly see a the mg hi nu hws from p Bandai. Got it for 50 bucks Canadian.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I built the 1/100 schwalbe graze. it was pretty fun, probably a mistake to build it right after the regular graze though.

p.s. enjoy my dirty dishes in the background

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is there any market for kits you don't want any more once you've assembled them? I'm not expecting any significant pricetag, just wondering if there's anything remotely productive it'd be worth my while to do do with the HG 00 kits I practiced on before moving to the stuff I seriously liked. If so, what'd be a decent price to sell them for? UK pounds, unpainted snap-builds, nothing flashy, but all in good repair if a mite dusty.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Dump them on eBay for like half the price of the unbuilt kit. You can usually sell them off to people looking for parts or who want to do a fix-em-up project.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

In wondering when the kit I ordered was going to get here, I checked the shipping and realised that free shipping takes a month. So that explains that, but it's okay because I did not particularly want to spend more money on shipping than I paid for the kit in the first place. At least I've found a few other things to do with my free time while I'm waiting for that to arrive!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I've learned that when ordering gunpla from amazon to make sure to click the "## new from $##" link to check all the vendors who sell it as some will do 2 day prime shipping while others take months getting though customs

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I bought the MG red Astray today, and I just got nervous because I realized that it has Dry transfers. Is there anything I should make sure I do or don't do so I don't gently caress those up to bad?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
What was the lowest price the Hi Nu HWS was available at? I'm seeing it available for $75 which seems lower than I remember last seeing it but I can't remember if that's in line with the original cost.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Dump them on eBay for like half the price of the unbuilt kit. You can usually sell them off to people looking for parts or who want to do a fix-em-up project.

So, what, a fiver per suit sound good? With all the imports and the dizzying variety of sellers I buy from, my expectations of what to pay for a kit are a little shot.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Darth Walrus posted:

So, what, a fiver per suit sound good? With all the imports and the dizzying variety of sellers I buy from, my expectations of what to pay for a kit are a little shot.

Just check hlj and amazon.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

What was the lowest price the Hi Nu HWS was available at? I'm seeing it available for $75 which seems lower than I remember last seeing it but I can't remember if that's in line with the original cost.

I believe it launched for about 3000 yen or so. I got mine shipped for a little below 40bux back when it came out. And proceeded to have it sit around for years until I got my actual Hi-Nu :downs:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The_Rob posted:

So I bought the MG red Astray today, and I just got nervous because I realized that it has Dry transfers. Is there anything I should make sure I do or don't do so I don't gently caress those up to bad?

Get some scotch tape and make absolutely sure you keep track of which side is supposed to be facing the plastic.

Hint: It's the side that was originally covered by wax paper.

Darth Walrus posted:

That might be a little low, but you'd definitely get a sale I guess. I dunno, do an auction or something.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I believe it launched for about 3000 yen or so. I got mine shipped for a little below 40bux back when it came out. And proceeded to have it sit around for years until I got my actual Hi-Nu :downs:

Better to do that then wait and oh whoops PG Unicorn Full Armor is now 180 dollars. I'm hoping with the release of the green inner frame one they'll re-release the FA.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

The_Rob posted:

That was my first MG and experience with dry transfers. I just cut around the decal and then used the scotch tape to lift it up away from the sheet. It wasn't too hard. Might want to try the decals that go on the sword scabbard (sheath?) cause they're small and won't matter too much if it you goof it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:drat:, that's a good Graze.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The_Rob posted:

1. Use scotch tape to tape the decal in place.
  2. Use a hard blunt object to press the decal on (I used the slightly rounded back to my hobby knife).
  3. Slowly remove one edge of the tape while keeping the other edge attached to act as a hinge.
  4. If everything didn't transfer, stick it back down and try harder.
Make sure you don't put tape over a previously transferred decal or it will pull it off.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cat Hatter posted:

1. Use scotch tape to tape the decal in place.
  2. Use a hard blunt object to press the decal on (I used the slightly rounded back to my hobby knife).
  3. Slowly remove one edge of the tape while keeping the other edge attached to act as a hinge.
  4. If everything didn't transfer, stick it back down and try harder.
Make sure you don't put tape over a previously transferred decal or it will pull it off.

This is very helpful thank you.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

:drat:, that's a good Graze.

thats macross as hell

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kuvo posted:

thats macross as hell

The title says it's a "Macross custom," so yeah. My first thought when I saw it was "that should really be a Jolly Roger, not Tekkadan's fleur-de-lys."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Finally had the time to do some more translating and jesus christ the MG GM 2.0's second testbox is dense as hell. This is only half of it, I'll do the rest later when I have time again.

quote:

A Comparison of the Developments and Applications of the Federation's Mass-Produced MS and the Principality of Zeon's Zaku

According to General Revil, the man who miraculously returned alive after being captured in the Battle of Loum, the man who proclaimed that "Zeon was exhausted" in order to advocate the Federation resisting to the bitter end, and the man who witnessed the true strength and potential of MS with his own eyes, MS were sure to be the main weapons of the next generation.

At the moment in time the Earth Federation decided to continue fighting, there were already numerous environment-specific variations of the Zaku spread out all over the globe. While the Zaku was originally an all-purpose machine, the unexpected harshness of the Earth's environment meant that extensive modifications and readjustments to the entirety of a MS's frame to fit the terrain were a necessity. And naturally, the resources to do these were just as essential. But at this time, even though the Earth Federation had decided to replace or back-up existing aircraft and military vehicles with MS, they did not have a surplus of these crucial resources and furthermore vitally needed to accumulate general MS knowhow. For that purpose, the Federation Army decided during the development of the RX Series to adopt an approach of simultaneously implementing and inspecting any existing components. This was how large-scale cannons with accordingly high firepower, caterpillar treads, and many other things ended up in the RX Series.

Over the course of numerous Earth landings, Principality forces gained complete control over a third of the Earth's surface in the blink of an eye. This stretched their supply lines thin, however, and the Federation Army was also ready to to begin their attack and reverse the seemingly decided war. After returning from the Battle of Loum, General Revil insisted that a drastic overhaul to anti-MS strategy was necessary, and with his popularity and political acumen he spearheaded Operation V.

Central to the effective use of MS is a mothership. The Federation Army wanted MS to be "mobile soldiers" that could be placed in formation like their smaller counterparts, so it was decided to construct "assault landing craft" that could transport and deploy MS as well as provide logistical support.

edit: good lord the last textbox is the largest of all three

these people really loving love talking about the gm and the oyw

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 26, 2016

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So airbrushing is pretty much the only way to paint gunpla huh?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Revitalized posted:

It is the most effective and widely accepted way, yes. You can use spray cans but that severely limits your color choices. Hand-brushed paint jobs can be amazing in the hands of someone sufficiently talented, but such people are basically wizards and us mere mortals cant hope to compete.

BlitzBlast posted:

these people really loving love talking about the gm and the oyw

I love it too. I never get tired of reading made-up facts and histories about my dumb plastic robots.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Revitalized posted:

I've found hand-brushing to be fine for doing small details like vents or things that would get stickers for color separation, but if you want to repaint whole parts it's pretty hard to do by hand.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Black permanent markers are pretty good for detailing bits as well. Hell with a decent marker you can get some nice coverage.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Luminaflare posted:

Black permanent markers are pretty good for detailing bits as well. Hell with a decent marker you can get some nice coverage.

Sharpie markers are pretty drat good for just about everything. Hell, I painted a whole kit with them and the result was better than anything I could do by handpainting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Sharpie markers are pretty drat good for just about everything. Hell, I painted a whole kit with them and the result was better than anything I could do by handpainting.

Yeah, before I got an airbrush and some nice brushes I used a -lot- of sharpies. The Ultra Fine tips are about as good quality as the Gundam pens; the biggest difference is tip size and color variety (in Gundam's favor)

And yeah, airbrushing is the best choice for most people since it gives a perfectly consistent painted-machine style look. But even then there are details which are basically impossible to neatly airbrush (mainly internal details) that require thin paintbrushes and toothpicks. Brush painting also allows graduents, which become useful for active laser or thruster looks.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 26, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

I like using tamiya brand washes, but I've used a small black sharpie to do the black on gundam eyes for years. sharpies are surprisingly useful in this hobby.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
you people are killing me with these black acetone markers.

they are bad, stop using them.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

you people are killing me with these black acetone markers.

they are bad, stop using them.

They work fine on gunpla eyes and I will brook no argument to the contrary.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Monaghan posted:

They work fine on gunpla eyes and I will brook no argument to the contrary.

they are good for that, but the surface must be dry and the pen must be wet.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I now only panel line by doing a wash with oil paints. It weathers and panel lines at the same time. It's awesome.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 26, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I just use a mechanical pencil. There are undoubtedly better ways, but it does the job decently enough.

That reminds me, though, I've been posting a lot of my builds in this thread, and while I realise they're very simple unpainted snap-builds, how do they look by those standards? Are they at least not egregiously crappy? How's the posing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Darth Walrus posted:

Me, I just use a mechanical pencil. There are undoubtedly better ways, but it does the job decently enough.

That reminds me, though, I've been posting a lot of my builds in this thread, and while I realise they're very simple unpainted snap-builds, how do they look by those standards? Are they at least not egregiously crappy? How's the posing?

They look good to me. Sometimes you leave nub marks, like on the hyakuren, but those can be really hard to take off without gouging the poo poo out of the model.