Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Having barely finished modding in an event chain, can you at least reveal by now if it's going to feature major reworks of existing systems/events, like Conclave did, or not? I only ask because it's really hard to bring myself to keep modding, if half of me is going: "But what if next DLC is stuff you'll want to get again and it happens to overwrite/do poo poo better than you did the last few months?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Jedit posted:

Peeve of the Day: sacrificing family members in the Blot gives you Kinslayer. My devotion to the Gods and love for them is greater even than that for my own family, and you guys are giving me poo poo about it? Just see if I invite you to the next raid-and-pillage spree, rear end in a top hat.

If you're not on ironman, you could just put remove_trait kinslayer into the console. might not consider it cheating in this case.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

LostCosmonaut posted:

If you're not on ironman, you could just put remove_trait kinslayer into the console. might not consider it cheating in this case.

Alternatively, if you are on ironman, you can open up the Crusader Kings 2/events folder, open oldgods_blot_events.txt file with notepad, find all lines with "add_trait = kinslayer" that offend you and remove them so that it never happens again.

Congratulations. Now you're also a modder.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Peeve of the Day: sacrificing family members in the Blot gives you Kinslayer. My devotion to the Gods and love for them is greater even than that for my own family, and you guys are giving me poo poo about it? Just see if I invite you to the next raid-and-pillage spree, rear end in a top hat.
You're thinking too Abrahamic here. If you sacrificed a family member to them, they'd do a double take and than when you died, make double sure that you know that poo poo isn't cool before throwing you in the sea of blades, forever to be cut and never to die.

Nothing is lower than a kinslayer, it's used as a sign of the end of times in the Eddas because it's meant to indicate how depraved and despicable the the world has become.

So, if anything, the punishment should be even more severe.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah kinslaying goes way back as the ultimate taboo. Next up is love, because putting yourself above your kin and eloping with the girl that was promised to your brother basically made you an outlaw. Social contracts were serious poo poo.

If you read a some old folklore a lot of the stories have those two as their core themes.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You're thinking too Abrahamic here. If you sacrificed a family member to them, they'd do a double take and than when you died, make double sure that you know that poo poo isn't cool before throwing you in the sea of blades, forever to be cut and never to die.

Nothing is lower than a kinslayer, it's used as a sign of the end of times in the Eddas because it's meant to indicate how depraved and despicable the the world has become.

So, if anything, the punishment should be even more severe.

In that case you probably shouldn't lose piety for refusing to hang your own mother.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

In that case you probably shouldn't lose piety for refusing to hang your own mother.
Well, the gods don't like quitters either. If you say you're going to give them something, they know if you don't. They don´t care about why.

The gods are dicks, after all.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

CrazyLoon posted:

Having barely finished modding in an event chain, can you at least reveal by now if it's going to feature major reworks of existing systems/events, like Conclave did, or not? I only ask because it's really hard to bring myself to keep modding, if half of me is going: "But what if next DLC is stuff you'll want to get again and it happens to overwrite/do poo poo better than you did the last few months?"

Nah. Well I assume you wouldn't count illness as a major system? Already did a DD about it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Darkrenown posted:

Nah. Well I assume you wouldn't count illness as a major system? Already did a DD about it.

Yea, 'cept that and it's fine. Thanks for answering.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bræğur munu berjast
og ağ bönum verğast,
munu systrungar
sifjum spilla;
hart er í heimi,
hórdómur mikill,
skeggöld, skálmöld,
skildir eru klofnir,
vindöld, vargöld,
áğur veröld steypist,
mun engi mağur
öğrum şyrma.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
new child education is so much better than the old one by at least 78.23%

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
My own mother just broke our alliance because she felt that I wasn't assisting her in her wars.

I had contributed almost a quarter of the warscore in one war, had just about beaten another by myself for her and was working on the third which I hadn't been involved with yet, but at that point I was at the other end of her kingdom away from most of the fighting, so uhh, that may have been it? That I wasn't literally fighting all her wars at once?

I realize what the intention behind the mechanic is, but it seems to need some serious fine tuning.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Latin Empire start still remains my favorite

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

verbal enema posted:

new child education is so much better than the old one by at least 78.23%

What makes it better in your opinion? I'm pretty ambivalent about it myself because there are a few options (Duty and Thrift) which are just better than the others. It also seems to reduce the number of traits the child ends up with.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Did anyone ever figure out if the educator you pick matters beyond the relationship bonus?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

My own mother just broke our alliance because she felt that I wasn't assisting her in her wars.

I had contributed almost a quarter of the warscore in one war, had just about beaten another by myself for her and was working on the third which I hadn't been involved with yet, but at that point I was at the other end of her kingdom away from most of the fighting, so uhh, that may have been it? That I wasn't literally fighting all her wars at once?

I realize what the intention behind the mechanic is, but it seems to need some serious fine tuning.

Hell, as (1066) Al-Andalus, I helped the Zirids go from a two-province kingdom to ruling all of de jure Africa plus half of Sicily. The result was them telling me to go gently caress myself when I actually needed their help, and then they got Holy Warred/Factioned out of existence when I couldn't win wars for them anymore

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

MikeC posted:

A strategy and just general quality of life question in terms of how to go forward in a noobie Wessex game.

I just managed to join and win a crusade for Andulusia and just got handed a large loving swath of territories. I don't even know where the gently caress to begin other than to spend a shitton of money creating duchies and start handing it all out which I have already started. I am going to for sure bust my direct vassal limit though so I am not sure how to proceed. I am guessing at this point that I pretty much have no choice but to start handing out King level titles to economize on that limit?

How big a threat are King level vassals to Emperors? My main holdings are the Duchy of Kent and Essex in England and thats where all my troop buildings and money making buildings are. If I hand out a King of England title to someone else, are they going to hate me for holding those 2 Duchies for myself?

I kind of want to keep the Andulusian crown since I eventually want to be Orlando Bloom and be King of Jersusalem and it seems a hell of alot closer to invade from Spain than England.

This was from the last page but I just wanted to point out that with Conclave unfortunately due to the new rules you pretty much have to choose a retarded inbred bastard as the person to give the kingdom to because otherwise, even with a content council, they're gonna go "Less than 60 relation score? Lol! Rebellion time!" Within the year as the whole "can't join factions" thing is broken as gently caress. You'll still have a whole bunch of factions but at least no one will join them since they all hate each other.

Also, never (edit: or rather only as a last resort) give land to your family. Contrary to all logic, it'll just encourage them to rebell in an insane attempt to take control.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 25, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

TheCIASentMe posted:

This was from the last page but I just wanted to point out that with Conclave unfortunately due to the new rules you pretty much have to choose a retarded inbred bastard as the person to give the kingdom to because otherwise, even with a content council, they're gonna go "Less than 60% relation score? Lol! Rebellion time!" Within the year as the whole "can't join factions" thing is broken as gently caress. You'll still have a whole bunch of factions but at least no one will join them since they all hate each other.

Also, never give land to your family. Contrary to all logic, it'll just encourage them to rebell in an insane attempt to take control.

Oh, and be careful with viceroys if you go with them. Turns out that you inherit their faction wars and warscore when they die. So when whatever content moron you left in charge gets his rear end handed to him for a decade and finally dies of stress, you get to spend a few years getting his warscore back up from -90 or getting blitzed and deposed/forced into elective from a war you couldn't possibly lose. And you can't just hand it off to the next viceroy, you've got to win before you can do that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Could just be a bad decision. Did she have a trait like arbitrary or insane? Unlike players, the AI mostly tries to roleplay their traits rather than just treating them as stat modifiers, so they sometimes make non-optimal or downright ridiculous decisions if it fits their traits.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Could just be a bad decision. Did she have a trait like arbitrary or insane? Unlike players, the AI mostly tries to roleplay their traits rather than just treating them as stat modifiers, so they sometimes make non-optimal or downright ridiculous decisions if it fits their traits.
No, it's part of the new event. I got the same event for her because she was stuck fighting a huge rebellion and not helping me with a crusade against me.

My options were:
[Well you suck mom!] (breaks alliance, -10 opinion)
[I'm just gonna suck it up she hates me boohoo] (-10 opinion)

It's bad. It's very bad. Especially because it's not like you can back out of the war afterwards, or as if it can't take years to reach the front.

This is the same game, mind you, where people get pissed at you for like 3 years when you give someone a country without their permission.

I mean, yeah, they're fiddling around with modifiers, but I'd think that having something similar to the vassal "Raised levvy" penalty, only it raises until you either fight a battle or finish a siege and no event to auto-end the drat alliance. Let that happen naturally if you piss them off by not taking part.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 25, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

TheCIASentMe posted:

This was from the last page but I just wanted to point out that with Conclave unfortunately due to the new rules you pretty much have to choose a retarded inbred bastard as the person to give the kingdom to because otherwise, even with a content council, they're gonna go "Less than 60 relation score? Lol! Rebellion time!" Within the year as the whole "can't join factions" thing is broken as gently caress. You'll still have a whole bunch of factions but at least no one will join them since they all hate each other.

Also, never (edit: or rather only as a last resort) give land to your family. Contrary to all logic, it'll just encourage them to rebell in an insane attempt to take control.

I do not have conclave but thank you for the additional advice. I am kind of semi-noob in this game in that i have logged a lot of hours but sporadically over the long life of this game and with the constant DLC and patch releases, I am never in a position to know a lot about the game aside from the basics which seem to have not changed much.

But I totally agree that family members with their auto -20 relations due to Title claimant in addition to the -25 relations when they actively want your title makes them dangerous vassals.

I almost wish I did have conclave since the game has become kind of boring now while I just wait out truces and steamroll the next Muslim duchy. I am only really sticking it out till the Jerusalem crusade gets called. I might release the Europmean holdings and just play as King of Jerusalem once this happens. Speaking of which, what is a good efficient way of transitioning your core holdings to another area. Basically, my 2 Duchies are 'the poo poo' in terms of troop production and income, but short of exceeding my demense limit for a long period of time, it seems difficult to move your main holdings somewhere else while keeping up a strong personal levy and income situation.

If I don't continue this game, I do have Horse Lords, Byzantine and the Muslim DLC. Which is generally more interesting to play for my next play through.? The only major DLCs I lack are Charlemange, Rajas, and Conclave.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Zero One posted:

Did anyone ever figure out if the educator you pick matters beyond the relationship bonus?

Yes, and yes, though not as much as before. Educator traits are important to whether or not childhood traits will develop into positive adult traits. http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Education_%28Conclave%29#Educator_skill_influence

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Man, there is something seriously unbalanced about Umayyad being able to form Hispania 100 percent of the time with very little resistance from what is supposed to be the all-powerful Karling dynasty. I mean for gently caress's sake, in my current Mercia game they own Brittany, while Europe is about as balkanised as I've ever seen it, and anything south of France or Byzzies is owned by either Hispania or the rock-solid Arabian Empire. Saxony conquered half of Scandinavia and Eastern Europe before converting to Christianity though, so that's nice.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
In my Armenian game the HRE spans France Germany and Italy since Charlieboy decided to man up, and the Byzantines have collapsed. Also best part is that the Zunbils control all of Afghanistan and are a pretty major threat to the Abbasids who are in the middle of a huge Shia rebellion. This game owns

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Surprise DD!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-the-rules-of-the-game.923570/

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That is pretty slick! I like that you've made it expandable, it makes me very interested to see what I can do with it. Is it possible to mod in an option to alter starting government types? Let's say I wanted everyone to start tribal for instance ...

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

:worship:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Every complaint, worthwhile or whiny, addressed :eyepop:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

No regencies option? Helloooo ultimogeniture, I always wanted to be with you. Might actually mean you get to experience the child only event chains, when you're actively avoiding regencies at all costs you rarely play as a child.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Hahahahahah random Sunset or Mongol invasions. That really is for the ones, who enjoy being shat upon out of nowhere, isn't it?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Solid work. I would also dig it if there was a "Crusades trigger right away/800/normal" but ehh.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

MikeC posted:

I do not have conclave but thank you for the additional advice. I am kind of semi-noob in this game in that i have logged a lot of hours but sporadically over the long life of this game and with the constant DLC and patch releases, I am never in a position to know a lot about the game aside from the basics which seem to have not changed much.

But I totally agree that family members with their auto -20 relations due to Title claimant in addition to the -25 relations when they actively want your title makes them dangerous vassals.

I almost wish I did have conclave since the game has become kind of boring now while I just wait out truces and steamroll the next Muslim duchy. I am only really sticking it out till the Jerusalem crusade gets called. I might release the Europmean holdings and just play as King of Jerusalem once this happens. Speaking of which, what is a good efficient way of transitioning your core holdings to another area. Basically, my 2 Duchies are 'the poo poo' in terms of troop production and income, but short of exceeding my demense limit for a long period of time, it seems difficult to move your main holdings somewhere else while keeping up a strong personal levy and income situation.

If I don't continue this game, I do have Horse Lords, Byzantine and the Muslim DLC. Which is generally more interesting to play for my next play through.? The only major DLCs I lack are Charlemange, Rajas, and Conclave.

I don't see old gods on that list, but my favorite is the Norse Denmark area. Gotta reform that religion ASAP. Other than that, Muslim Spain (fighting against France in the long run) or Muslim Middle East (taking down the byzzies) are fun.

Also, the easiest way to transfer to a different set of holdings is to give the new set to your heir and just keep building them up with your gold for them.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 26, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

SeaTard posted:

That is pretty slick! I like that you've made it expandable, it makes me very interested to see what I can do with it. Is it possible to mod in an option to alter starting government types? Let's say I wanted everyone to start tribal for instance ...

I don't think so

Solid work. I would also dig it if there was a "Crusades trigger right away/800/normal" but ehh.

Might be possible, we are still looking at what's interesting and reasonably easy to do.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

I am not comfortable with the Secrecy of Bears being adjustable in this way.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

GunnerJ posted:

I am not comfortable with the Secrecy of Bears being adjustable in this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kONmDCla6Nc

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
The flanders thing seems out of place as a major rule. I've never noticed it making much of a difference

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Schizotek posted:

The flanders thing seems out of place as a major rule. I've never noticed it making much of a difference

It's a really major thing in the 1066 start, because if Flanders is de jure HRE, then it means that France is dead because the HRE will declare war for every single county over and over again until France explodes, without fail. If Flanders is de jure Francia, that changes quite a bit.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I don't think so
Hmmm. You can't set global commands? Like, obviously you got set_government tribal_government CHARID, but there's not a way to do that to everyone?

Though, making everyone tribal just means that muslims and pagans rule the world, so those games usually end up a mite meh, heh.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Wasn't expecting this at all to be honest but it will make new games a lot more interesting, especially randomising Aztec and Mongol invasions. Good stuff!

Is this going to be in a patch or a dlc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

We are still looking at what's interesting and reasonably easy to do.

Can you make an option to remove the restrictions on theocracy and republic vassals? And make it so theocracies can have two titles of the same rank?

I want to make the Coptic Pope the Prince-Archbishop of Alexandria by granting him the Duchy of Alexandria, but I can't because the titular title of Coptic Pope is a Duke level title and theocracies can't have two titles of the same level so I am unable to grant him the duchy. This aggravates me unreasonably because I can't fix it myself with mods.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 27, 2016

• Locked thread