Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao at the preview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you remember which? I remember the game getting hilariously easy after a point but forget how.

It's the damage support one, the addon part that just does nothing besides boost your raw damage output. If you use it you can get your gun's damage stat to exceed the length of the bar, it's very silly.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game should have had a dedicated heal button, with MP healing as a selectable item. I have died plenty cycling through throwing knives to get to my Estus 'cause I can only go forward on the slider.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Melanion posted:

I really, really wish this was the case for the other d-pad directions.

I think it works for spells as well. Shame it doesn't work for left or right though...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ether Frenzy posted:

So if I can even access the 'use' option on the white circlet, does that mean that loving xbox live being a sack of poo poo the entire weekend and causing about 20 of my summon signs to fail without ever leaving my own world mean that it's me, I'm the bad guy?

e: Can you even put a sign down if you're banned or whatever the condition is that you need to use the white circlet?

Anyone know?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This game should have had a dedicated heal button, with MP healing as a selectable item. I have died plenty cycling through throwing knives to get to my Estus 'cause I can only go forward on the slider.

That's one thing I miss from Bloodborne. (Well, that and the quickstep and the awesome transforming weapons.) Triangle was a dedicated heal button and it was great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

It's the damage support one, the addon part that just does nothing besides boost your raw damage output. If you use it you can get your gun's damage stat to exceed the length of the bar, it's very silly.

Ha, well that explains a lot then.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Since it appears the poise fix is known around here, are people changing the integer to make it work properly? Or do you run the risk of cheat detection?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hold "down" and you'll immediately select your first equipment slot, which by default is your Estus.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If you hold down on the d-pad it brings you to your first quick-item, which should be estus :ssh:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Since it appears the poise fix is known around here, are people changing the integer to make it work properly? Or do you run the risk of cheat detection?

You will 100% be banned for it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I assume it would flag you as a cheater, which it should since you would have a massive advantage over other online players. I'm not going to touch it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shine posted:

Hold "down" and you'll immediately select your first equipment slot, which by default is your Estus.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Because everything in this game is obtuse as gently caress, I raw'ed up my Uchigatana and now it's not scaling with dex. How can I remove the "raw" and just make it a normal one again? I'm only in the undead settlement.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This game uses a more advanced system to detect changes in save data by way of cheat engine fuckery, so it probably will catch you doing stat changes and behind the scenes meddling easier than Dark Souls 2 did.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Because everything in this game is obtuse as gently caress, I raw'ed up my Uchigatana and now it's not scaling with dex. How can I remove the "raw" and just make it a normal one again? I'm only in the undead settlement.

You need a shriving stone to remove the infusion on it, which you can do from the same menu. The first time you can get shriving stones is in the area after the one you're currently in.

edit: But really, you probably are better off with the raw infusion for where you are in the game, because it more than likely gives you more damage output than you would get from the dexterity/strength scaling.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I really wanted to save Greirat, but alas, it was not meant to be, even though I think I did all the steps correctly.

I also want a good ending with Irina, even though I don't use miracles, drat it, I will buy all of the good ones.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

Is this ambush suppose to be threatening in the forest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFFSm3lxTlc

I mean, the game is a lot easier if you use throwing knives/sorceries instead of running dick first in to stuff. That fight was pretty tough as a melee

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Anyone know?

Were you having the issue where it says you're being summoned and then nothing happens? Happened to me all weekend, you're stuck in this limbo where you can't leave the area you're in, can't use any multiplayer items, can't even quit the game properly. I *hope* it was just a Xbox Live being terrible thing, there's been mention of it on reddit but there's also an apparent upcoming patch that specifically mentions fixes for Xbox One multiplayer problems.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Thing I learned today: using a shield in the right hand slot replaces your kick with a piddly shield push. It is worse than the kick in every conceivable way.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

You need a shriving stone.
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Shriving+Stone

You go to the infusion menu at the blacksmith and one of the options should be returning it to a normal weapon. You can also switch to another infusion later on down the road if you feel like it.

Most elemental infusions will nerf the scaling, or in the case of raw, completely remove it. There are some that do buff scaling though, like sharp or heavy. Make sure to look at the bottom of the infusion screen to see what happens to your stats if you're unsure what's going to happen with the infusion.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 25, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Doing all of the steps correctly is what causes Greirat to die.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why are DoTs so poo poo in this game? You'd think since it can hurt the caster, pestilent mercury would be really strong. Here's how much damage it does when the target stands in it for the entire duration.

Significantly less damage than a single R1 from my current weapon :geno:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The description for a raw stone literally tells you what it does, it's not obtuse at all. At the blacksmith you get a preview of what your weapon's stats will be like after infusing as well.

vvv They're pretty obvious from their name.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Is there a way to know which summon signs are NPCs versus real people? I like to summon NPCs when they are there since I think it fits in well in the story.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

pthighs posted:

Is there a way to know which summon signs are NPCs versus real people? I like to summon NPCs when they are there since I think it fits in well in the story.

Easiest way is to throw on a random password. NPC signs will be the only ones left.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Azazell0 posted:

I really wanted to save Greirat, but alas, it was not meant to be, even though I think I did all the steps correctly.

I also want a good ending with Irina, even though I don't use miracles, drat it, I will buy all of the good ones.

Sure. We'll call that a good ending.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Shine posted:

I assume it would flag you as a cheater, which it should since you would have a massive advantage over other online players. I'm not going to touch it.

It feels like cheating is not going to get you in trouble because look at the top ten darkmoon knights on the knight register. They all have 99 in every stat but are somehow level 120 and not level one thousand. If ever there should be an automated system for banning cheaters it should be scrutinizing the leaderboards, adding up numbers and banning anyone with more than literally possible.

I don't know, maybe they clear it out occasionally. Tied for 1st is cheatengine.exe. I don't remember that guy before.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

Fun Shoe

pthighs posted:

When they look like this:

Not an NPC.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you're going to bow at me to try and initiate some dumb honor duel, don't sip on your estus.

Especially when you don't think I have throwing knives.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I just finished playing my pyromancer character at 35 hours, 5 less than my first character. Pyromancy is good and tough and cool. It stays pretty drat strong throughout the game, in fact, I feel that sometimes Forbidden Sun/Chaos Bed Vestiges/pyromancy Destructo Disc is redundant having Great Chaos Fire Orb to use instead. Both firestorm spells are nearly useless, I tried really hard to make them work and it just wasn't happening. The rest of the utility pyro spells are about the same usefulness as they've always been in Souls games. In the endgame pyromancy, in my opinion, can't match the miracle damage, I don't know about sorcery because I haven't played around with it much. However, pyromancy is still very good at endgame.

Also my elation at dark magic faded basically instantly after Anor Londo. It's situationally useful, which is a drat shame. Worked wonders against the Nameless King first phase (Dorhys' Gnawing tears the Storm King up, inflicts bleeding on either second or third hit), and Black Orb does good work against the second phase. Overall though, there aren't enough enemies weak against it to make it worth using over the other magic quality build, pyromancy.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Shield Bashing with a great shield is actually strong as hell now, if you time your push right you can tank any* hit and then stagger whoever.

*Anything that isn't like an actual giant's foot that will lay you out.

It's not a fix, it's vestigial code that FROM intentionally left buried before release, and turning it on is definitely cheating, both in spirit and to the cheat detection.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Read descriptions on the items you collect and many things will seem less obtuse. For example, the raw gem description states: "Raw weapons are easily wielded and have higher attack, but lose scaling effects."

In practice, this means they will do more damage if you don't have the stats to take advantage of scaling (i.e. early game), but they will do less damage as your stats go higher since you won't be able to take advantage of scaling. There's another infusion item you can use to remove an infusion; check the descriptions of the items in your inventory and you'll see which one it is. Also, when you are selecting an infusion, pay attention to the stat screen, which tells you exactly how that infusion will affect your damage, damage type(s) and scaling levels.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cultisto posted:

Were you having the issue where it says you're being summoned and then nothing happens? Happened to me all weekend, you're stuck in this limbo where you can't leave the area you're in, can't use any multiplayer items, can't even quit the game properly. I *hope* it was just a Xbox Live being terrible thing, there's been mention of it on reddit but there's also an apparent upcoming patch that specifically mentions fixes for Xbox One multiplayer problems.

Yeah, exactly what was happening. Grey fog on either end of the area, no bonfire to be seen, no other way to get out but to quit to the dashboard. Hadn't had any issues like that until saturday, and it was constant all weekend. I'm just trying to sunbro Vordt for people. :darksouls:

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Just wondering, does anyone want to try and get a goon fightclub day going on sometime if there isn't one?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Okay, can anyone tell me what the gently caress I'm doing wrong?
I talked to Siegward in the well, raised the bridge, reset the area by going to firelink, etc. and Patches still won't loving spawn.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are DoTs so poo poo in this game? You'd think since it can hurt the caster, pestilent mercury would be really strong. Here's how much damage it does when the target stands in it for the entire duration.

Pestilent Mercury, despite all appearances, deals Dark damage. It's apparently still kinda "eh" even with a Dark-scaling stave.

Blaziken386 posted:

I talked to Siegward in the well, raised the bridge, reset the area by going to firelink, etc. and Patches still won't loving spawn.

Sometimes raising the bridge via the rafters route bugs it out. If you haven't yet, get the Tower Key for Firelink and climb up to the very top, and Patches should spawn.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Blaziken386 posted:

Buy the tower key, go up the tower in firelink and across the bridge and into the second tower, try to leave the tower.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you haven't seen Patches at ALL yet, try going back up to the tower \ up the elevator to the highest point then back down now. Patches never appeared for me in the Cathedral at all, but he showed up there.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Blaziken386 posted:

I had that happen to me too. It ultimately didn't matter, because after I beat the boss and went back to Firelink, I went to the tower you unlock with the 20k key and climbed to the top and he showed up there. Just exhaust his dialogue and leave and next time he'll show up at Firelink as a merchant.

You can then buy Siegward's poo poo and throw it down the well and continue that questline too.

Edit: I think what breaks Patches showing up at the Cathedral is raising the bridge. I think you have to open the main doors, reset, go back through the doors, and Patches will appear with the implication that he raises the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

https://a.pomf.cat/sipsit.webm

also lmao at the guy saying 'pfft everyone who says sorcery is bad is DUMB all you gotta do is summon people for bosses' 100% seriously