Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kizudarake posted:

Lex secretly bought the local insurance office and set it up so that the Kents would have a 25 dollar deductible and their premiums would never go up, since Clark wouldn't ever accept anything from him for saving his bald rear end in the pilot.

Also Martha Kent starts hanging out with his dad, and Pa Kent and Clark caused Lex to turn evil. Smallville was so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Murphy Brownback posted:

You had me sold on "found footage". I can't get enough of that garbage. I do get annoyed at horror movies in general where the monster/killer/whatever spend the whole movie toying with the victim, but understand why they do it. Yeah the alien could have just offed him the second he saw him, but then you have no movie. They have to make the monster/demon thing a dick that gets off from making them real scared before they die to at least preserve the illusion that the human has a chance.

Yeah I realize there would be no movie if the guy got offed right off the gate, but there's no consistency about how it's done. The alien spends days loving with the guy, stealing his food that he hunted up, messing with his cameras, etc. The guy has a miniature chessboard that he brought to entertain himself, and the alien murderborg sets up the board into a checkmate position just to gently caress with this guy. Like seriously, how prepared is this alien race if they're going "hey, we better program our cyborg things with the rules for a human game, just in case." The other people the alien comes across get killed very quickly, so there's no real logic or reason behind why it would spend days following and messing with the main guy.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Martha Kent starts hanging out with his dad, and Pa Kent and Clark caused Lex to turn evil. Smallville was so bad.

Smallville's true lesson was that Clark Kent is a dick.

Silver Age heritage shining through.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

bobkatt013 posted:

I liked the Kents in Lois and Clark in the 90s. They had so much personality. There was an episode where John thought Martha was cheating on him because he found a recent nude painting of her (Which he of course shows to Clark eliciting the great response ":gonk: Mom?"). It turns out she was just taking a life drawing class and volunteered to be the model one week, because while she is getting old she still wants to do poo poo in her later years instead of sitting around the house collecting her pension.

Also Martha was badass. In a pretty dumb episode where the adults start acting like children due to a gas released by a new toy, Clark burns Lois's heel off her high heeled shoe with his heat vision. Martha sees this, orders him into the office and just rails on him with "NOW CLARK! Never once have I spanked you and that is because I never had to! But anymore outbursts like that and I will take you over my knee right now!" Said by an 80 year old woman to Superman. They were the best in that series.

My brother got the box set a few years ago and we watched them together, that's why I have such good recollection of a 25 year old show.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the Kents in Lois and Clark in the 90s. They had so much personality. There was an episode where John thought Martha was cheating on him because he found a recent nude painting of her (Which he of course shows to Clark eliciting the great response ":gonk: Mom?"). It turns out she was just taking a life drawing class and volunteered to be the model one week, because while she is getting old she still wants to do poo poo in her later years instead of sitting around the house collecting her pension.

Also Martha was badass. In a pretty dumb episode where the adults start acting like children due to a gas released by a new toy, Clark burns Lois's heel off her high heeled shoe with his heat vision. Martha sees this, orders him into the office and just rails on him with "NOW CLARK! Never once have I spanked you and that is because I never had to! But anymore outbursts like that and I will take you over my knee right now!" Said by an 80 year old woman to Superman. They were the best in that series.

My brother got the box set a few years ago and we watched them together, that's why I have such good recollection of a 25 year old show.

That reminds me of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuzquQIqsz4 short they did a while back. Which I'm sad never became an actual series.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cowslips Warren posted:

The Sand Snakes. That is all.

In the latest episode two of them are sent to assassinate someone who is currently awake, armed and in a cramped, small room. They bring a spear and a whip to the fight

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Apr 25, 2016

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Away all Goats posted:

In the latest episode two of them are sent to assassinate someone who is currently awake, armed and in a cramped, small room. They bring a spear and a whip to the fight

(Game of Thrones, last night's ep)

And they even alerted him and allowed him to pick up his weapon. Basically they only succeed because the genius positioned himself directly between them, with his back turned to the one carrying a bladed weapon capable of delivering an instant death blow (unlike a whip).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Patattack posted:

(Game of Thrones, last night's ep)

And they even alerted him and allowed him to pick up his weapon. Basically they only succeed because the genius positioned himself directly between them, with his back turned to the one carrying a bladed weapon capable of delivering an instant death blow (unlike a whip).

Well, they also know he can't fight.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gorilla Salad posted:

Clark, use your X-ray vision. Walk around until you find a few nuggets of gold or squeeze some coal into a diamond.

My IIMM is that coal doesn't turn into diamonds when you squeeze it really hard.

The gold thing is legit though, if you had actual Superman X-ray vision you could find every gold deposit on the planet in minutes, just from the density contrast between gold and basically everything else. If you had basic geology knowledge you could then go on to find every single ore deposit on the planet by knowing where to look and what to look for. I guess Superman could just shotgun a couple of textbooks in a few minutes and then do it.

Can Superman see in the hyperspectral as well? Good thing he doesn't exist, he'd put me out of a job in a heartbeat.

Aphrodite posted:

Well, they also know he can't fight.

Yeah it was pretty clear they didn't take him seriously for a heartbeat, and also that they really, really didn't have to.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, to be fair, when he did make a diamond in the show he both squeezed (squoze?) a piece of coal WHILE hitting it with his heat vision so it was both heat AND pressure.

He was so good at it, that it came out faceted :haw:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just watched Rocky for the 50th time last night and noticed that when Apollo enters the ring for the fight, his gloves aren't on. 10 seconds later, he's in the corner wearing them. Fighters get taped up, gloves and inspected in the dressing room before going into the ring.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Just started watching The Messengers because of you guys talking about it in this thread.

They just did the "Well how did you know that's who I was talking about, I never said their name! Gotcha!" gag in back to back episodes

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Joey Freshwater posted:

Just started watching The Messengers because of you guys talking about it in this thread.

They just did the "Well how did you know that's who I was talking about, I never said their name! Gotcha!" gag in back to back episodes
yeah

the devil's kind of a ditz, i guess?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've always hated that gotcha.

Just keep insisting they actually did say the name, because if that's the only thing they've got on you, you're loving golden.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Whenever someone needs to draw blood (for a ritual/sacrifice/symbolism/whatever) they always slice their goddamn palm.

As someone who has cut their palm, that poo poo is annoying as gently caress, and even when bandaged you don't really have full grip strength. Slice your forearm! Do it on your elbow! Maybe a scrape a knee or something. Obviously the exception is when the ritual is gonna end up killing your or let you transcend your mortal body or whatever, but any other time? That poo poo would be so annoying to deal with if you plan to still use your hands for something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The only thing I can think is that the magic needs it to be palm blood and since it's magic it can tell the difference and cheating it leads to bad mojo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

The only thing I can think is that the magic needs it to be palm blood and since it's magic it can tell the difference and cheating it leads to bad mojo.

You've heard of palm reading already. Some people are more proactive.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Whenever someone needs to draw blood (for a ritual/sacrifice/symbolism/whatever) they always slice their goddamn palm.

As someone who has cut their palm, that poo poo is annoying as gently caress, and even when bandaged you don't really have full grip strength. Slice your forearm! Do it on your elbow! Maybe a scrape a knee or something. Obviously the exception is when the ritual is gonna end up killing your or let you transcend your mortal body or whatever, but any other time? That poo poo would be so annoying to deal with if you plan to still use your hands for something.

It's symbolic, you're weakening yourself as an offering trying to minimise that isn't much of a sacrifice.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Elfgames posted:

It's symbolic, you're weakening yourself as an offering trying to minimise that isn't much of a sacrifice.

Conversely, it's to show that you are too much of a badass to care. Like, are you going to postpone making peace with your mortal enemy or summon your murder-god to find a spot on your body where making a cut wont inconvenience you?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Then cut off a hand. Go big or go home.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Away all Goats posted:

Then cut off a hand. Go big or go home.

And risk a murder hand trying to get you? Nod thanks.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Len posted:

And risk a murder hand trying to get you? Nod thanks.

checks out

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Looking up the hand it has this great quote

quote:

Michael Caine, however, after the success of his previous film Dressed to Kill, was interested in making another horror film to earn enough to put a down payment on a new garage he was having built, and he agreed to take the part after talks with the director

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Catching up on Sleepy Hollow( which I love) and Jenny and joe have kissed a few times and I'll be honest I'm just not a big fan of race-mixing. I'd appreciate no one asking or attacking me about this and to continue about your business. Thanks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

oldpainless posted:

Catching up on Sleepy Hollow( which I love) and Jenny and joe have kissed a few times and I'll be honest I'm just not a big fan of race-mixing. I'd appreciate no one asking or attacking me about this and to continue about your business. Thanks.

:captainpop::chanpop:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Couldn't agree more to be honest, triathletes etc. make me sick. Pick a sport but don't mix multiple types of race and pretend it's something new, smh.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

oldpainless posted:

I'm deeply offended

that you still watch Sleepy Hollow.

From an incredible first season, that show took an almost Dexter level drop in quality.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The first half of season 2 went from pretty decent to alright, and then apparently the writers started smoking crack or something and it all went to poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The third season of Sleepy Hollow was so bad. First they started off by having a new villain show up (Pandora of box fame) and just straight up clown the Headless Horseman disposing of him effortlessly. They spend like half a season with Pandora running around letting monsters out of her box to cause problems but then it turns out her whole thing was just gathering power to summon an ancient god known as... The Hidden One. Also despite the fact that Pandora had absolutely no connection to Ichabod or the Revolution every single monster she summoned had Ichabod doing a flashback, usually involving the previously never before mentioned Betsy Ross. Which lead to a lot of awkwardness because they had gotten rid of a couple of actors between seasons so Ichabod was constantly flashing back to the Revolution but somehow never talked about Bram (his best friend who eventually became the Headless Horseman) or Katrina (his wife.) So apparently they decided that instead of a Christian mythology with demons and angels and the Revelation apocalypse it turns out that being Witnesses instead has to do with some generic as hell "Sumerian" mythology. Sumerian is in quotes because they couldn't be bothered to do any actual research into Sumerian mythology and just made up some generic as hell stuff involving nameless gods feuding.

Everything eventually came to head in a terrible finale where Abbie and Ichabod were tasked to fix Pandora's box (which had been destroyed summoning the Hidden One) by travelling to this other dimension where time doesn't really pass. While there they discover that Betsy Ross had been stuck there since the Revolution but didn't realize how much time had passed which lead to a really awkwardly plotted bit where it seemed like they were thinking about bringing her back to the present day as well but instead they pull something out of their asses about how when she leaves she'll return to her own time, which totally didn't happen when Abbie was trapped there earlier in the season. They fix the box but learn that in order to fully power it Abbie has to die, they don't really explain this very well and it totally comes off as them just writing her character off the show because the actress wanted to quit. Abbie dies, evil is defeated stupidly (the Hidden One is depowered and unceremoniously shot in the head) while Pandora is defeated in a cheap battle with a restored Headless Horseman. We then learn that even though Abbie is dead her duty as a Witness (and oddly enough her soul?) has been transferred to a blood relative BUT NOT JENNY EVEN THOUGH THAT WOULD HAVE MADE SENSE. Also it turns out that George Washington started some monster hunting organization and made Ichabod it's head so I guess he's going to be doing that now. There was a funny goof in the scene where they were setting that up where George Washington was writing a letter about this while it was being read out loud and the words being said and what was visible on the letter didn't match up at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This reads like a parody, there is no way any of this is real surely :stare:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

oldpainless posted:

But... but you have an avatar of The Rock, possibly the most famous mixed race man in Hollywood.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Race mixing isn't fair to the people on foot while the other guys have Indy cars.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

If you didn't want to be attacked then why the gently caress did you post this? You're a terrible loving person.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

oldpainless posted:

Racism is pretty irrational, welcome to the thread!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Elfgames posted:

If you didn't want to be attacked then why the gently caress did you post this? You're a terrible loving person.

drat, there's taking the bait and then there's this

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

This reads like a parody, there is no way any of this is real surely :stare:

The stupidest thing about this was that they knew before the season even started that the actress who plays Abbie wanted out and they still made her death seem like it came out of nowhere. Not in a good way but in a "here's a thing that was never mentioned before" way.

I also kind of feel bad for the guy who played Joe. He was brought back from a one off guest spot to be a series regular this season and was given pretty much equal time with the subplots of him and Jenny doing their own thing. Then one episode before the finale he gets kind of unceremoniously killed off and because Abbie dies partway through the next episode they give absolutely no time to anyone caring about his death.

There's really too much stupid stuff about this season to really go through. Like how they brought back fan favorite villain the Kindred (or Franklinstein) for an episode where they go through all this effort to get it to stop murdering people and even finding a female version of it that Franklin made back during the war and left preserved in a vault. The episode ends with the Kindred couple walking away hand in hand and then all of a sudden they explode because the Hidden One was angry that they didn't join his cause.

The good guys don't see this happen or have any way to learn about it but somehow Ichabod off screen finds the exploded remains and retrieves the Kindred's skull because it happened to be the Headless Horseman's head. This plays into the finale when he all of a sudden has said skull and gives it to the Horseman (which is something they spent a huge chunk of season 1 trying to keep from happening) in order to defeat Pandora. Now, what do you expect a headless guy to do when he gets his own head back? Put it on? Don't be silly! Instead he just holds it in the palm of his hand as it glows. This somehow gives him the power to defeat Pandora.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Elfgames posted:

I specifically asked not to be attacked in my post and then you did it anyway whilst using profanity. Sounds like you've got a lot of growing up to do.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

I specifically asked not to be attacked in my post and then you did it anyway whilst using profanity. Sounds like you've got a lot of growing up to do.

I am irrationally irritated.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is this

"Hey guys I'm gonna say something pretty offensive and kinda racist but please don't call me out on it ok?" Who's the one that needs to grow up? If you say something stupid be prepared to be called on your bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is this

"Hey guys I'm gonna say something pretty offensive and kinda racist but please don't call me out on it ok?" Who's the one that needs to grow up? If you say something stupid be prepared to be called on your bullshit.

He's a troll. He's trolling. Just ignore him and hopefully he'll go away.