Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm so sorry that these ideas which you have no argument against hurt your precious, delicate feelings :ohdear:

What ideas? All I see is sweeping generalizations about groups of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is what wage protests used to look like you big baby

On 5 July, the 1892 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago's Jackson Park was set ablaze, and seven buildings were burned to the ground. The mobs burned and looted railroad cars and fought police in the streets, until 10 July, when 14,000 federal and state troops finally succeeded in putting down the strike, killing 34 American Railway Union members. Leaders of the strike, including Eugene Debs, were imprisoned for violating injunctions, causing disintegration of the union.

Are you arguing that that was a good thing?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Talmonis posted:

This is garbage and the cause of the circular firing squad.

If you want to avoid a "circular firing squad," you might want to listen when someone points out that your criticism of a left-wing protest movement is poorly-informed instead of suddenly deciding to literally adopt right-wing rhetoric rather than entertain the idea that your perspective might be flawed.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Riptor posted:

labor day came directly from this, yes

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

MaxxBot posted:

What ideas? All I see is sweeping generalizations about groups of people.

Then you haven't been reading.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Okay, that I didn't know

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Hodgepodge posted:

Then you haven't been reading.

I support BLM and their protest methods but I still think that post was dumb, luckily the actual BLM people are a hell of a lot better at explaining and defending their movement than rabid D&Ders.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

MaxxBot posted:

I support BLM and their protest methods but I still think that post was dumb, luckily the actual BLM people are a hell of a lot better at explaining and defending their movement than rabid D&Ders.

They made actual arguments. Rather than engage with that, you're resorting to calling them "rabid."

My response is to call you full of poo poo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MaxxBot posted:

I'm an actual BLM people, booboo, and all I've been saying is some 101 level poo poo anybody who supports BLM would already understand. If you guys want progressive cred you're begging for you're going to have to start doing a teeny bit of the homework.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Riptor posted:

If you think annoying someone and ruining their day is going to lead to that person thoughtfully asking themselves "why, what sort of political message was that gentleman trying to share with me?" then you have never actually interacted with a human being in society

Riptor posted:

Okay, that I didn't know

See? It does happen :shobon:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If that protest was such a success, why hasn't it been repeated?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Riptor posted:

Maybe it was. We are coming up on the first anniversary of the Freddie Grey riots in Baltimore. No one has been lumping those in with the complaints of counterproductive or otherwise bad protests. But riots are supposed to be the best way to alienate people from a cause.

I don't know why that is. What I can say right now is that I don't condemn those riots, and no one I know has strong criticism of them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If that protest was such a success, why hasn't it been repeated?

Jesus christ.

On what other topic would you guys think it was acceptable to be so utterly loving ignorant and still try to dominate the conversation?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

See? It does happen :shobon:

Cute but it doesn't equate

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Jesus christ.

On what other topic would you guys think it was acceptable to be so utterly loving ignorant and still try to dominate the conversation?

WhiskeyJuvenile asked a completely legitimate question

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ceiling fan posted:

Maybe it was. We are coming up on the first anniversary of the Freddie Grey riots in Baltimore. No one has been lumping those in with the complaints of counterproductive or otherwise bad protests. But riots are supposed to be the best way to alienate people from a cause.

I don't know why that is. What I can say right now is that I don't condemn those riots, and no one I know has strong criticism of them.

I never looked into, but it looked like the city police were involved in setting that off. That changes thing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One of my questions is which felony is committed. :v: I am not fully versed in what's illegal to do in road blocking, because my safety work is for state and district government which has special dispensation and/or isn't going to do obviously unsafe poo poo unless they make a real dumb decision, and what're the odds of that?

Many states have laws against "special devices" aka anything that makes it hard to remove a protester. The great liberal city of Austin had undercover officers make devices then supplied them to occupy:

http://statesman.com/news/news/local/austin-police-infiltrated-occupy-austin-1/nRqZN/

quote:

The officers also may have crossed a fine line in undercover police work: They helped plan and manufacture devices - often called "lockboxes" - that allowed Occupy members to tie themselves together during a protest in Houston, according to interviews and court records. The use of the devices, which makes it harder for police to break up human chains, resulted in Houston police filing felony charges against seven protesters who had attempted to block a port entrance in Houston on Dec. 12.
It's not clear who first proposed making the lockboxes. But during the hearing, attorneys and Austin Police Detective Shannon Dowell - who wore a long black beard and was known to Occupy members as "Butch" - disclosed that Dowell had purchased PVC pipe and other materials with Occupy Austin money and delivered the finished lockboxes to group members.
The devices used in the Houston protest are generally built from 5-foot lengths of 5-inch wide PVC pipe with a bolt inserted in the center. Two protesters can put their arms in the pipe and grip the bolt, making it difficult for police to pull them apart.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Riptor posted:

Cute but it doesn't equate

so close, and yet, so far

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"every movement is gonna attract crazies, oh well, what can you do, might as well put them on stage in front of the news and let them rant about whatever to demonstrate how inclusive we are. people power!"

See: The Green Party.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Shutting up and pitching in just plain never occurs to a white dude, because deep down a white dude knows he's the hero of every story.

Tell us more about how white people think while berating white people for making assumptions.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I'm an actual BLM people, booboo, and all I've been saying is some 101 level poo poo anybody who supports BLM would already understand. If you guys want progressive cred you're begging for you're going to have to start doing a teeny bit of the homework.

I don't want "progressive cred" and I have no idea why you think I do, nor why you seem to think your opinion is representative of everyone in BLM. You literally claimed that the "only way" white people are willing to provide help is if they can run the show. I can't speak for elsewhere but that's certainly not the position of the BLM here.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Labor day is a fake capitalist holiday invented by big business to distract from the real labor day, May Day

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trabisnikof posted:

Many states have laws against "special devices" aka anything that makes it hard to remove a protester. The great liberal city of Austin had undercover officers make devices then supplied them to occupy:

http://statesman.com/news/news/local/austin-police-infiltrated-occupy-austin-1/nRqZN/

So it's just straight up a protest thing, not a road thing. Dang.

Edit: dang in an expression of mild horrified awe, not of disappointment

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So does anyone have numbers on how the Texas Miracle is doing now that oil is ludicrously cheap? I'm thinking about Conservative states that have failing economies because they backed bad policies, and I know a good bit about Kansas and some about Florida, but nothing about the most common retord: Texas is amazing and beating the balls off of California!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

SquadronROE posted:

So does anyone have numbers on how the Texas Miracle is doing now that oil is ludicrously cheap? I'm thinking about Conservative states that have failing economies because they backed bad policies, and I know a good bit about Kansas and some about Florida, but nothing about the most common retord: Texas is amazing and beating the balls off of California!

You should throw Oklahoma in that basket as well. Our legislature enacted income tax cuts for the rich in 2010 and again last year despite the Dem minority loudly screeching that doing so would gently caress us if/when oil prices dropped. Now we're facing 9 figure budget shortfalls and schools are closing early. Meanwhile our legislature is fighting over a 10 Commandments monument on the capitol grounds and the "progressive" President of OU is championing a regressive-as-gently caress sales tax to try and fix poo poo. We get the government we deserve.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Unzip and Attack posted:

You should throw Oklahoma in that basket as well. Our legislature enacted income tax cuts for the rich in 2010 and again last year despite the Dem minority loudly screeching that doing so would gently caress us if/when oil prices dropped. Now we're facing 9 figure budget shortfalls and schools are closing early. Meanwhile our legislature is fighting over a 10 Commandments monument on the capitol grounds and the "progressive" President of OU is championing a regressive-as-gently caress sales tax to try and fix poo poo. We get the government we deserve.

Don't forget trying to make abortion functionally illegal while saying that we don't have to worry about the cost of the inevitable legal battle, because surely the good lord will provide!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MaxxBot posted:

I don't want "progressive cred" and I have no idea why you think I do, nor why you seem to think your opinion is representative of everyone in BLM. You literally claimed that the "only way" white people are willing to provide help is if they can run the show. I can't speak for elsewhere but that's certainly not the position of the BLM here.

If you can't understand what I was saying there you aren't informed enough to be talking about any of this.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Tell us more about how white people think while berating white people for making assumptions.

If only he were commenting on the behaviour of people in the discussion at hand, right?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Jesus christ.

I think there's a fundamental problem with complaining when a person you are calling ignorant asks a question. Bad questions can exist, but you seem to be complaining that questions are asked whatsoever. That's just reinforcing ignorance.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Got a good summary link there? That sounds like a good tire fire.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

twodot posted:

I think there's a fundamental problem with complaining when a person you are calling ignorant asks a question. Bad questions can exist, but you seem to be complaining that questions are asked whatsoever. That's just reinforcing ignorance.

If the question were asked from a position of recognizing that someone with more direct experience of the subject at might have a more useful perspective than the person asking the question, sure. That's not what's actually happening here.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

That wasn't what I was complaining about, and if you think that "know other labor protests have happened" is too high of a bar to clear before entering a debate about labor protests then you're the one reinforcing ignorance.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hodgepodge posted:

If the question were asked from a position of recognizing that someone with more direct experience of the subject at might have a more useful perspective than the person asking the question, sure. That's not what's actually happening here.

Sorry, but "anyone who criticizes BLM is racist" isn't exactly indicative of anything but being an rear end in a top hat.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Hodgepodge posted:

They made actual arguments. Rather than engage with that, you're resorting to calling them "rabid."

My response is to call you full of poo poo.

This is what you call actual arguments and engagement? You have odd definitions of those words.

If you can't understand what I was saying there you aren't informed enough to be talking about any of this.

Jesus christ.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

That wasn't what I was complaining about, and if you think that "know other labor protests have happened" is too high of a bar to clear before entering a debate about labor protests then you're the one reinforcing ignorance.
Calling people ignorant is not effective at preventing people from posting on a public forums. If you think a person is too ignorant to talk to, that's fine don't talk to them. If you decide to engage, but do so in a way that is incapable of improving anyone's experience, you are creating a problem.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

Sorry, but "anyone who criticizes BLM is racist" isn't exactly indicative of anything but being an rear end in a top hat.

Fun how you have to continually make up fake things I said to whine about because "you admittedly don't have any experience with black oppression and thus are not qualified to tell black people how to combat it" is a little harder to shrug off and still feel self-righteous about it.

twodot posted:

Calling people ignorant is not effective at preventing people from posting on a public forums. If you think a person is too ignorant to talk to, that's fine don't talk to them. If you decide to engage, but do so in a way that is incapable of improving anyone's experience, you are creating a problem.

The problem is worthwhile discussion perpetually obstructed by entitled ignorance, and progress perpetually derided by veiled conservatism.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fun how you have to continually make up fake things I said to whine about because "you admittedly don't have any experience with black oppression and thus are not qualified to tell black people how to combat it" is a little harder to shrug off and still feel self-righteous about it.

The problem is worthwhile discussion perpetually obstructed by entitled ignorance, and progress perpetually derided by veiled conservatism.

Everything you say is a smug variation of the above. Just because you dogwhistle it with "conservative" doesn't make you any less obvious. You think you're beyond reproach, and it'd be funny if it wasn't so obnoxious.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

MaxxBot posted:

This is what you call actual arguments and engagement? You have odd definitions of those words.

That's nice and all, but you're deflecting. I've pointed out that you're avoiding a substantial position. And I really don't think you want to engage with it. If you did, you would have; it was quite clearly stated.

Instead, you and others have been drowning it out with noise and excuses. This is bullshit, but I can't read and comprehend words for you. It's not my job.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I like that the unstated part is the pipe makes it harder to break their arms with a billy club.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

Everything you say is a smug variation of the above. Just because you dogwhistle it with "conservative" doesn't make you any less obvious. You think you're beyond reproach, and it'd be funny if it wasn't so obnoxious.

Dogwhistle what? You can't cry about me calling you "racist" (a word I never said once in this conversation) and claim I'm dogwhistling. This whole stupid argue started with me pointing out you're a weasel and it's going to end that way too. If you'd spent all this time and energy you waste wriggling around in your own filth trying to get purchase on anything that will crown you King Opinion on actually learning things and understanding other perspectives you'd actually be worth listening to and wouldn't have to try to force people into it.

Quit being so loving ignorant and horrible. For as long as you are ignorant and horrible, people will notice you're ignorant and horrible, and occasionally point out you're ignorant and horrible. If you don't like that, your only option is to be less ignorant and horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Talmonis posted:

No, the rhetoric that's been hauled out in response to him has been straight out of the conservative playbook. Pretending that this is discussion is absurd, this is a troll dogpile worthy of reddit.

E: in defense of a loving tone argument, for that matter.

• Locked thread