Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Internet Kraken posted:

PSA: If you wear either the full fallen knight or abyss watchers set, you're the scum of fashion souls.

Hey now, now that the Watchers have been returned to their thrones, somebody has to step up and keep the Abyss from corrupting everything, and nuts to you if you think I'm not going to dress for the job :colbert:. I do wish that wearing the helmet made you tilt your head down a little bit more; being able to see your eyes (and mask) spoils the effect a little bit.

Seriously though, the Abyss Watchers are cool designs with a sweet boss fight, and I feel compelled to try and actually make that outfit even though I have no cosplay experience whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Internet Kraken posted:

PSA: If you wear either the full fallen knight or abyss watchers set, you're the scum of fashion souls.

The Fallen Knight Trousers are "dampened and indelibly soiled with the misery of flight," so everybody wearing them is wearing somebody's crapped pants and didn't get vocabulary.

Fhqwhgads posted:

At 30/30 INT/FTH, would a Raw +10 Estoc with CFA (+10 Pyro Glove) have more damage than a Chaos +10 Estoc? Thinking about that for PvP.

Raw+Spell will always do more damage than an elemental infusion. It takes a spell slot & FP & a big wind-up time & it runs out after a while. I prefer not to bother with magic-ing up a weapon.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I thought the point of the Spear spells was that they pierced poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jesus Christ Havel got huge.

e: Oh right, everything is a two shot kill now I forgot, gently caress you lizard

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Are there NPC summons in this game? I'm having a hard time with the rotten great wood boss and xbox server is still down.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Namless King outfit or NOTHING.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao, just lmao, if you're not wearing four pieces each from a different set

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

casual poster posted:

Are there NPC summons in this game? I'm having a hard time with the rotten great wood boss and xbox server is still down.

There are, however I don't think that particular boss has any NPCs for it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
dang. Any idea whats going on with xbox anyways?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fereydun posted:

those are taken at 55 int so yeah it's p much like 100 more damage

yes but only because you didn't cut the bridge with both the host and phantom on it

ok so i did a comparison with maxed out logans staff at 50 int. crystal souls spear did 960 and GHSA 754 on one of those dragon grunts.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tree is 100% optional if that helps. Granted the item he drops is the item that lets you turn boss souls into weapons, but you don't HAVE to have it right now. You can do other stuff while you power up and wait for the servers.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

edit: nevermind, sleep deprived and misread that as pontiff

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 25, 2016

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
What happens when you butt chug estus?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The man-serpent gimmick of being able to get off one more attack or combo once their hp hits zero is real drat obnoxious.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

try finger, but hole

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

Aldrich

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, I'm sure this has been talked about many times, but I just got to Untended graves and the bizarro Firelink shrine and I just have to hear some theories on what the hell is going on with that place? Such a strange atmosphere.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

il serpente cosmico posted:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Babe Magnet posted:

Tree is 100% optional if that helps. Granted the item he drops is the item that lets you turn boss souls into weapons, but you don't HAVE to have it right now. You can do other stuff while you power up and wait for the servers.

Than who is the boss for that "level"?? There's a frost dude underneth that elevator that the onion dude was chilling at? Is that it?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The tree is the boss for that place, but you're free to just move on. If you want to progress through the game, head down the elevator, yeah. Pro-tip for Frost Guy: the bonfire is literally outside the door he's guarding. Run in, open the door, roll away, use the bonfire. Now you can throw yourself at him until he dies to your heart's content.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
aldrich is super ez. fire enchant your abyss watchers poo poo (its got anti-aldrich-elemental damage) and go to town on the poop slime thats the real aldrich

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao, just lmao, if you're not wearing four pieces each from a different set

catarina helm, dragonslayer chest, winged knight gauntlets, shadow pants, this checks out

e: i played fashion souls around trying to get just over 20 poise, but laffo i guess i'll stop

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Have the devs said anything about the whole Poise thing? It's a little crazy to me they would have included it as a stat (and even added a ring that increases it and does nothing else), and then intentionally turned it off. I guess it's possible that they tested the game with poise off and liked it better, but why keep the stat at all, if that's the case? Conventional poise would help balance PvP a bit.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm about 5 hours in and have a question on gear choices: What stats should I prioritize when comparing shields and armors?

I know fashion is #1 but when that fails idk which stat is the key. My big conundrum right now is I cannot tell if the Silver Eagle Kite shield is better than my starter knight shield. It appears to absorb 5% more damage and I can't parry with it, which kinda sucks b/c I did that fairly often in blood borne, but i'm doing it way less in DS. I've also gathered quite a bit of lothric knight armor which seems to have superior defense but is so heavy I don't think I want to use it.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

casual poster posted:

Than who is the boss for that "level"?? There's a frost dude underneth that elevator that the onion dude was chilling at? Is that it?

that guy is just a mini-boss for a weapon you can get. the tree is considered the true "boss" of that area. just run past or kill the ice-guy and you'll find a bonfire behind the doors and the path to the next area.

Edit: ^^^^ Since every boss can basically one-to-two shot you physical defense and poise aren't that important. I find it to be better using armor sets that decrease their elemental and magical damage instead

Desperate Character fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 25, 2016

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

casual poster posted:

It's the tree, you just don't have to fight him to move to the next area. The frost guy guards the door to that and he'll probably push your poo poo in but you can just run past him and hit the door, you're invincible while opening it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

I'm about 5 hours in and have a question on gear choices: What stats should I prioritize when comparing shields and armors?

Shields you want your resistances as high as they can be. 100 is straight up ignores passthrough damage outside of stuff like magic or weapons design to hurt through shields like sickles. Also keep an eye on the shield's weapon art. Most have parry. Some have Weapon Skill (which lets you do your mainhand weapon's weapon art instead) two or three have a shield bash.

As for armor, whatever gives you the most defense until you get to just under 70% equip rating. Poise does nothing.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I really don't like the difference in when you can start your builds. It can be a huge gap. My first time through I was your basic two handed strength character and was able to infuse my weapon with a heavy gem early on. I did end up switching weapons, but my basic build was there. Heavy weapon and pumped up strength. I beat the game and immediately started in on a sorcerer. So I wiki where I get the coal to start infusing magic into my weapons and find out it's not until Farron's. Well drat, that's a lot further than I wanted, but I can make do. I don't want to waste too much on str or dex, I'll just do some straight titanite upgrading till the swamp. I get tired of the sorcerer around cathedral (they kinda suck now), and decided to go cleric with lightning bolstered by faith. I look up the wiki for the coal...ANOR loving LONDO!?. Well that's a great place to start! And when do the gems start dropping? The credits!? Jesus, maybe I'll get to play it some in new game +.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I guess I'm among those who don't get summoned to defend, been chilling with darkmoon on for like 20 minutes and not a single summon, embered up and immediately get invaded by two faithful.

Welp.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Babe Magnet posted:

As for armor, whatever gives you the most defense looks the prettiest until you get to just under 70% equip rating. Poise does nothing.
Fashionsouls. :colbert:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

I know fashion is #1 but when that fails idk which stat is the key. My big conundrum right now is I cannot tell if the Silver Eagle Kite shield is better than my starter knight shield. It appears to absorb 5% more damage and I can't parry with it, which kinda sucks b/c I did that fairly often in blood borne, but i'm doing it way less in DS. I've also gathered quite a bit of lothric knight armor which seems to have superior defense but is so heavy I don't think I want to use it.

Poise doesn't do anything, so heavy armor isn't necessarily the best way to go. It reduces damage, but the difference between medium armor and heavy armor isn't going to be noticeable to the average player. Wear whatever allows you to stay under 70% equip load (or 30%, if you want to go for a fast-roll build).

On the other hand, shields are probably less useful in DS3 than they are in any other souls game. Enemies are fast, aggressive, and relentless with their combos. Taking them down as quickly as possible is the way to go; tanking them is going to eat all of your stamina and get your guard broken. In PvP, hold your shield up is going to get you kicked (or you guard broken with a standard combo), which will open you up to a visceral attack while you're staggered. I'd stick with the Knight shield for now, because you can parry with it. I've been playing with the grass crest shield on my back for the majority of the game, and I haven't missed having a shield in most cases.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Babe Magnet posted:

Shields you want your resistances as high as they can be. 100 is straight up ignores passthrough damage outside of stuff like magic or weapons design to hurt through shields like sickles. Also keep an eye on the shield's weapon art. Most have parry. Some have Weapon Skill (which lets you do your mainhand weapon's weapon art instead) two or three have a shield bash.

As for armor, whatever gives you the most defense until you get to just under 70% equip rating. Poise does nothing.

Cool thats pretty simple.

Blaziken386 posted:

I tried everything I found on and it looks the drat same :\ so I'm forced to use status as a tie breaker.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Armor is pretty same-ey until you get a little later on when the weird stuff starts showing up. Be sure to check the vendor lady at Firelink after you've murdered some bosses and NPCs, she'll have new armor and weapons.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
For shields, stability is the most important stat if you in fact use it for blocking, and if you turtle more often than not, 100% physical resistance is pretty important too.

Otherwise, parry timing is easier for small shields, and you're probably better off with a weapon skill shield the majority of the time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm all about that fashion, homie.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Azazell0 posted:

Okay, I'm sure this has been talked about many times, but I just got to Untended graves and the bizarro Firelink shrine and I just have to hear some theories on what the hell is going on with that place? Such a strange atmosphere.

I think that it's Ludleth's original world where they are in the age of Abyss. The Firelink that you use is a copy of it that Ludleth created (and failed several times prior). That's what you show the Firekeeper when you give her the eyes and that's why there's no sky.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Decided to upgrade the Dark Sword after getting all the Titanide in the world in Smouldering Lake, and you guys were right. With a Heavy infusion is just easy mode. Enough stamina to swing it 5-6 times and you'll either one-combo or stagger people. It's basically cheating.

Do you know what else is cheating? (Irithyll spoilers):

Having a crocodile on your side

A very hungry crocodile.

Good monstruous dogge :3:

I'm bad at Fashion Souls, and therefore the worst at Souls. Being a cheater won't make it any worse :colbert:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Azazell0 posted:

The theory generally seems to be that that's the real version of it (since you can actually physically walk there, while the other one has to be warped to and from), overtaken by the abyss, while the daylight one is actually a fake. There's apparently some dialogue from Ludleth that hints at this, but with the way dialogue triggers seem to fail for most people and the NPCs spout the same lines for 20 hours straight, most people never see it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Iretep posted:

ok so i did a comparison with maxed out logans staff at 50 int. crystal souls spear did 960 and GHSA 754 on one of those dragon grunts.

are you using the sorc. boosting rings, magic clutch and dusk crown?
from what i can tell the damage difference seems to increase by that much roughly when you do for some reason but it's still only a 200~ damage boost with all that stuff

at endgame w/ all that poo poo, +10 sage's staff and the scholar's candlestick you pump out some really dumb damage though (1k+ per missile ayyy) but it retains the 200~ damage difference so somehow it ends up being lame anyways since you reduce your number of casts by like a fourth when using css over great heavy missile. it's a shame because i just wanna go ham with them but i can't cast more than 4 spears without running out mp at like 33-ish attunement while i can cast something along the lines of like 16 arrows on the same bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Harrow posted:

You don't have to be embered, no.

You might just be among the (apparent) majority who just can't get summoned as a Blue. What level are you, out of curiosity?

80, was invading in the archdragon peak 2nd bonfire area, saw blues all the time protecting the guys hiding down there, but can't be a blue apparently.