Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Okay, can anyone tell me what the gently caress I'm doing wrong?
I talked to Siegward in the well, raised the bridge, reset the area by going to firelink, etc. and Patches still won't loving spawn.

You have to open the big front doors by one of the upper bridges (the door that you walk by in the first part of the zone with the spear thrower giant)

uhh if that doesn't work just kill the boss and say gently caress it and go to firelink

Or just go to firelink and see him at the tower. That's a lot faster. You don't need to see him in the chapel at all to do the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Xenolalia posted:

Just wondering, does anyone want to try and get a goon fightclub day going on sometime if there isn't one?

goon fightclub would own

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Killed Vordt using dual shields. Go me.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I should probably make a character that isn't like level 250 so I can do fightclubs and not be a horrible person in them.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Vermain posted:

Sometimes raising the bridge via the rafters route bugs it out. If you haven't yet, get the Tower Key for Firelink and climb up to the very top, and Patches should spawn.

Krinkle posted:

Buy the tower key, go up the tower in firelink and across the bridge and into the second tower, try to leave the tower.

Cultisto posted:

If you haven't seen Patches at ALL yet, try going back up to the tower \ up the elevator to the highest point then back down now. Patches never appeared for me in the Cathedral at all, but he showed up there.
I bought the key earlier because I was tired of jumping off the tree to talk to the crows. He didn't spawn when I went back up to the top, so hopefully he will after I kick the Deacons' poo poo in.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Xenolalia posted:

Just wondering, does anyone want to try and get a goon fightclub day going on sometime if there isn't one?

Here's how to start a public fight club:

Be in the Way of Blue
(Optional, for more possible phantoms: Don't be hollow, use a purge stone or that one forgiveness statue to humanify yourself without loving up the rear end in a top hat quest-line)
Use the Connection Claw
Summon every purple and red phantom sign you see
Hide with a white branch

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Iretep posted:

my main sorcery spells were magic weapon, Hidden Body, Spook, Great Deep Soul, affinity and Great Soul Arrow until i got crystal soul spear which replaced it. Homing Crystal Soulmass and soul stream got some use too but pretty limited. Didnt try White Dragon Breath but it might be decent.

I've been getting some mileage out of crystal soulmass against other players. I don't think people really know how it works very well - it's faster than they're expecting so they fail to dodge it in time. Or they don't know that it fires when the caster is facing a hostile target so it's easy to tempt them by turning away so they'll rush at you and then spinning around so they eat the full damage. This is a good way to trick reds when you're a purple too, they think you're on their side and then you turn to them and they get nailed.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

[Double post]

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

StringOfLetters posted:

Here's how to start a public fight club:

Be in the Way of Blue
(Optional, for more possible phantoms: Don't be hollow, use a purge stone or that one forgiveness statue to humanify yourself without loving up the rear end in a top hat quest-line)
Use the Connection Claw
Summon every purple and red phantom sign you see
Hide with a white branch

im guessing youve not done this

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

nice. wonder why this didnt work

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I love the giant crabs. :3:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

nice. wonder why this didnt work

Hey, I made a mistake. It's fixed now. Thanks for being a giant twat by the way.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I've helped 3 people kill the Nameless king successfully now. I have yet to be able to successfully summon someone for that fight in my own game. I've read 'unable to summon phantom' about 300 times now.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Night Blade posted:

Hey, I made a mistake. It's fixed now. Thanks for being a giant twat by the way.

lol? Who's the twat, him or the guy posting giant images? also that message isnt funny or cool

kanonvandekempen posted:

I've helped 3 people kill the Nameless king successfully now. I have yet to be able to successfully summon someone for that fight in my own game. I've read 'unable to summon phantom' about 300 times now.

everyone is summoning like mad, you're better off finding someone else to help you personally.

if you've killed him 3 times why not just solo it though?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My int character is halfway through Irthyll. I don't think sorcery is bad but its definitely not as good as it was in the old games and pyromancy does outclass it. Here are the main problems;

-From is just better at designing enemies that punish ranged spam, so its a lot harder to just breeze through the game firing soul arrows at everything. Some areas are still easier, but I'm actually having trouble with stuff that never gave me problems on other builds.
-The lock on range being worse means its harder to kite stuff while firing soul arrows, so ranged spam is also worse because of that
-Magic spells take tons of stamina relative to everything else
-A bunch of spells are just useless and bad (lol crystal hail)

When I played a mage in old Dark Souls games it felt like easy mode. Now? Not so much. Its definitely not impossible like some people say it is though, or even significantly harder. Its just a different playstyle that no longer dominates the game. Pyromancy is better because it does more damage with easier to access spells.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

qbert posted:

Edit: I think what breaks Patches showing up at the Cathedral is raising the bridge. I think you have to open the main doors, reset, go back through the doors, and Patches will appear with the implication that he raises the bridge.

Pretty sure this is it. In my first playthrough, I never saw him but ended up raising the bridge myself by going over the rafters. The second time around I wanted to do it right, so I didn't touch the other side of the bridge or the rafters until I had made him appear. You'll know it's worked because when you come in the bridge will already be raised. He'll be on the other side of it, opposite from the lever. No clue how he lowers the bridge from there. After fighting the giant and coming back up and going over the rafters he was now on the other side of the bridge next to the lever. Apparently Patches has wings? :shrug:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

I think the servers are just on fire still. Last night at Dragonslayer Armor I had about a 75% chance of being summoned to some kind of limbo and then disconnected.

Mortimer posted:

lol? Who's the twat, him or the guy posting giant images? also that message isnt funny or cool

I chuckled :shrug:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I guess in NG+ when people have beaten PS they just immediately equip Aldrich Faithful and chill out waiting to invade. The second I ember and equip another covenant I get constant invasions but I rarely get to invade myself :(

Might be a bit overlevelled at 130 but I can sunbro fine and normal invasions pop in a matter of seconds each time v:shobon:v

e: ^^ I guess matchmaking servers are hosed then

Martout fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 25, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Martout posted:

I guess in NG+ when people have beaten PS they just immediately equip Aldrich Faithful and chill out waiting to invade. The second I ember and equip another covenant I get constant invasions but I rarely get to invade myself :(

Might be a bit overlevelled at 130 but I can sunbro fine and normal invasions pop in a matter of seconds each time v:shobon:v

Good to know invasions are still hopping at those high levels. I kind of want to make a Darkmoon Blade buffing build but I'm gonna have to go to 120 to do it and there's still a pretty big fight going on about what the "PvP meta level" is.

4chan and Reddit both have a very strong SL 100 contingent, and 4chan is especially insistent on SL 80. No idea what any other "communities" are settling on.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
http://i.imgur.com/DF7PtxL.webm

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I beat NG+.

Just gotta get 20 more ears :negative: and I guess do all the infusion types. And go through NG++ for the rings.

I'm thinking I might just go through NG++ until I get the Gold Serpent +2. That'll make farming ears ever slightly less awful.

Also the fextralife wiki is doing a darkmoon community event this friday. So I guess just hang around as a darkmoon and hope to crash it?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jesus, that guy has almost no health.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Not sure how true it is but according to fextra wiki the levels for autoinvading covenants (faithful, watchdogs) are host level -10 to host level +40 which is a huge range.

Not gotten summoned to invade Farron once, even on NG, gotten one or two invasions in NG+ as faithful but the wait has been massive each time and I'm usually tabbed out or in the kitchen or something when the invasion finally pops. Mound makers invasion takes max 10 second and that's supposedly limited by host level +10?

Match making in general seems really finicky tbh

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Jesus, that guy has almost no health.

Who needs health?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Babe Magnet posted:

Who needs health?

Me, I do, because I'm bad you see.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Dear diary:

Have been in this undead settlement for hours. Am beginning to think the entire kingdom is an infinite series of winding alleys between shabby houses. How is it possible to run an economy where every citizen is either a seven-foot farmer or some sort of roof gremlin? Found some good soup though. Will have to ask Greirat if he can give me some sodding directions. Oh flamedammit there's another courtyard full of goddamn basketball players.

Wish me luck diary.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Orbeck just vanished from my game because I didn't give him scrolls before beating the abyss watchers. Am I screwed for sorceries or do they appear somewhere else?

Darkness5780
Apr 22, 2010
did the lightning/sunlight spear spells get nerfed? do i just need to keep on leveling faith till i get to 40-50? do i need to also level up int for them to be viable spells like they were in the first two Souls games?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So guys. The Farron Greatsword seems loving awesome for PvP shenanigans. The reach with the special moves are incredible and maybe it's just because everything is so new, but people don't seem prepared for how to deal with it. And it hits like a drat truck in the process. Definitely ramping up my stats for its use.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
soul of cinder is real fuckin good. nice callback on the 2nd phase, but the first phase is great since u gotta deal with the variety

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Farron is the one with the free parrying dagger, right? If so, it's not so much that people don't know how to deal with it, it's that if you hit with the dagger at the beginning of your combo, your next 3 attacks are free. You can't roll out between the greatsword and the next dagger, and definitely not in the space between the dagger hit and the greatsword hit.

Source: I fight a lot of people who use it.

Fun fact though, if you try to do the flip at the end, you CAN be parried, so be careful!

Source: I parry a lot of people who use it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Darkness5780 posted:

did the lightning/sunlight spear spells get nerfed? do i just need to keep on leveling faith till i get to 40-50? do i need to also level up int for them to be viable spells like they were in the first two Souls games?

Couple things with them.

1. Faith soft-caps at 60 for spell scaling (so does Intelligence). It's still 40 for weapon scaling. So yes, you need lots of Faith to make them really shine.

2. The actual spear part does about a third of the total damage of the spell. There's also a small AoE right around your character that does a bunch more damage. You can hit with both if you cast the spear point-blank. Basically: lightning spears can be cast at range, but to do full damage, you need to slam the spear directly into the target. That's why they cast so fast and have hyperarmor on the casting animation. They're for dunking on someone, not sniping.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i should probably take this wolf ring off shouldn't i, huh

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Babe Magnet posted:

The Farron is the one with the free parrying dagger, right? If so, it's not so much that people don't know how to deal with it, it's that if you hit with the dagger at the beginning of your combo, your next 3 attacks are free. You can't roll out between the greatsword and the next dagger, and definitely not in the space between the dagger hit and the greatsword hit.

Source: I fight a lot of people who use it.

Fun fact though, if you try to do the flip at the end, you CAN be parried, so be careful!

Source: I parry a lot of people who use it.

Yeah, it's the set used by the Abyss Watchers. Big Artorias-looking main-hand with a parrying dagger off-hand. The notable special maneuver is the one where you plant the dagger in the ground and sweep the greatsword around in a big arc. Seems to put you below attackers swings and can stagger as well. I've only used it a little bit at +4 but really, really enjoying it so far. We'll see if that wears off over time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Here's all you need to know about dark souls and faith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9o0fDUlyw

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Merauder posted:

Yeah, it's the set used by the Abyss Watchers. Big Artorias-looking main-hand with a parrying dagger off-hand. The notable special maneuver is the one where you plant the dagger in the ground and sweep the greatsword around in a big arc. Seems to put you below attackers swings and can stagger as well. I've only used it a little bit at +4 but really, really enjoying it so far. We'll see if that wears off over time.

It is really good but also everything can stagger because poise is literally turned off for players right now.

1hing the base dagger on a non-dex character staggers in pvp.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Babe Magnet posted:

Here's all you need to know about dark souls and faith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9o0fDUlyw

Long live Molvania

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I had an invader in Ithiryll last night using that ring that makes phantoms look human, and he went around attacking all the Pontiff knights like he was trying to kill them (but he couldn't, because he was an invader). He never attacked me once. Then when I killed all the Pontiff knights in the area he black crystaled out. It was very strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
PSA: If you wear either the full fallen knight or abyss watchers set, you're the scum of fashion souls.