Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Immortan posted:

Alien: Covenant is going to be tits.

Ideally, it will be dicks. So many dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Dickpussies and pussydicks, all covered in teeth and cum.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
black cum

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I loved that Prometheus reused Giger's hive concepts for the alien buildings, I really hope they use more of his artwork for the sequel. There's a great doc on Netflix about Giger that gives a peek at the mountains of work he accumulated in his life. It's really good, and makes me want to visit his hometown and check out the Giger Museum. They shot it right before he died, so it's pretty much the period on the end of his life's work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAs2FKH3DGc

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ruddiger posted:

I loved that Prometheus reused Giger's hive concepts for the alien buildings, I really hope they use more of his artwork for the sequel. There's a great doc on Netflix about Giger that gives a peek at the mountains of work he accumulated in his life. It's really good, and makes me want to visit his hometown and check out the Giger Museum. They shot it right before he died, so it's pretty much the period on the end of his life's work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAs2FKH3DGc
I thought Dark Star was pretty drat depressing. Giger shuffles around like a zombie for most of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

I thought Dark Star was pretty drat depressing. Giger shuffles around like a zombie for most of it.

Its an interesting look into the life of an artist who's trying to get by based on his past success and reputation. He had this little team around him who all seem to work for little or no money, and for the most part what they do is put old sketches together to form new compilation books to sell to a publisher. Probably an artists' dream in a way; being able to make a living for the rest of your life because of the mark you made on the art world.

I didn't find it 100% depressing because Giger seemed to just want to hang out with some friends once in a while, eat some good food, drink some good wine, and that's it. His art allowed him that life, and he seemed content.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Exactly. Giger suffered with some personal demons but it was cool seeing him find solace and comfort surrounded by his work and his small circle of friends/family. How could you be depressed watching Giger ride around on his little garden nightmare train?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ruddiger posted:

Exactly. Giger suffered with some personal demons but it was cool seeing him find solace and comfort surrounded by his work and his small circle of friends/family. How could you be depressed watching Giger ride around on his little garden nightmare train?
Man, suffering with personal demons must be so much worse when the demons look like the poo poo Giger dreamed up.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ruddiger posted:

That footage was from a few years earlier when he was noticeably more mobile and alert. I don't remember him looking very happy in the later stuff; he always seemed a bit out of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUD7rmHartE

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't find it 100% depressing because Giger seemed to just want to hang out with some friends once in a while, eat some good food, drink some good wine, and that's it. His art allowed him that life, and he seemed content.

And do opium. He offered it to Dan O'Bannon (Alien co writer). Giger said something like it was the only thing that stopped him being afraid of his visions.

I stopped over in Switzerland last year and wish I'd had more time to see the Giger museum :( I wanted to see that ever since i bought an art book. That and the yakuza bar with xenomorph chairs in Japan.

I wish Gigers work ended up being used in Dune.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 20, 2016

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xeno, how was the W-Y report?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

Xeno, how was the W-Y report?
Haven't finished reading it yet, been getting caught up on the "Fire and Stone" mega-crossover from last year that I never got around to reading.

I can recap it when I get home from work, it's got 4 arcs (Prometheus, Aliens, AvP, and Predator), and it's got a pretty good mix of neat ideas, neat ideas that are under-utilized, and goofy poo poo.

Edit-- I do know that the WY Report gets the size of LV-426 wrong, which is kind of unfortunate. It uses the number from a deleted scene in 'Alien' (which is wrong) rather than the number from the USCM Tech Manual.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 20, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pinball FX have been making pretty good licensed tables, and they're doing an Aliens-themed one out next week. I'll let you guys know if it's any good - the Portal one was boss.

Dat ball-lock animation tho'

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just a reminder that tomorrow is Alien Day, please be sure to watch an Alien movie in observance.

Also I forgot to post it last month, but CNN had a cool article about the life of Bolaji Badejo, who played the Alien in the first movie:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/07/africa/bolaji-badejo-alien/

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Xenomrph posted:

Just a reminder that tomorrow is Alien Day, please be sure to watch an Alien movie in observance.

I'm in a bind on this one as a local "museum" is doing an outdoor showing of ALIEN next month.

Whilst im here are there any good Alien games on the ps1 I aquired one a few weeks back.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Gaz2k21 posted:

Whilst im here are there any good Alien games on the ps1 I aquired one a few weeks back.

Probably just Alien Trilogy. There is a game based on Alien Resurrection but I doubt it would be any good.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

OptimusShr posted:

Probably just Alien Trilogy. There is a game based on Alien Resurrection but I doubt it would be any good.

Ahhh i had the pc version of that when i was younger i could never get into it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gaz2k21 posted:

I'm in a bind on this one as a local "museum" is doing an outdoor showing of ALIEN next month.

There's only two, there's Alien Trilogy, and Alien Resurrection. They're both early console FPS games from before Halo really nailed dual-thumb stick FPS controls on consoles, so they're a little clunky but not unplayable. They're pretty neat and worth playing if you can find them for fairly cheap. Resurrection actually had a good number of (scripted) scary bits, and has you play as 4 different characters, each with mildly different abilities and weapons.

It even has a gameplay mechanic where you can be facehugged, and unlike in most Alien games where it's an instant game over, you have an on screen timer to find an auto-doc and remove the Alien embryo before it kills you. :v:

They also got the voice actor who played the FATHER computer in the movie to record new dialogue for the game, it's a nice touch.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Xenomrph posted:

There's only two, there's Alien Trilogy, and Alien Resurrection. They're both early console FPS games from before Halo really nailed dual-thumb stick FPS controls on consoles, so they're a little clunky but not unplayable. They're pretty neat and worth playing if you can find them for fairly cheap. Resurrection actually had a good number of (scripted) scary bits, and has you play as 4 different characters, each with mildly different abilities and weapons.

It even has a gameplay mechanic where you can be facehugged, and unlike in most Alien games where it's an instant game over, you have an on screen timer to find an auto-doc and remove the Alien embryo. :v:

That actually sounds pretty rad I might invest it's only a few quid on eBay

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

It even has a gameplay mechanic where you can be facehugged, and unlike in most Alien games where it's an instant game over, you have an on screen timer to find an auto-doc and remove the Alien embryo before it kills you. :v:

They also got the voice actor who played the FATHER computer in the movie to record new dialogue for the game, it's a nice touch.

Didn't being facehugged mean adult Aliens would leave you alone, so you could do it on purpose to get through certain sections easier? (so long as you're confident you can find a health station in time)

I'm sure I read about that in a preview, I dunno if it made it into the final game though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spalec posted:

Didn't being facehugged mean adult Aliens would leave you alone, so you could do it on purpose to get through certain sections easier? (so long as you're confident you can find a health station in time)

I'm sure I read about that in a preview, I dunno if it made it into the final game though.

I honestly don't remember, it's been easily 10 years since I played it. I've been meaning to replay it once I get a working PlayStation again, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm going to the Alamo for the the Alien double feature and I'm gonna dress up like Brett. The best character in Alien.

Also, working on a stop motion thing for tomorrow.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

CelticPredator posted:

I'm going to the Alamo for the the Alien double feature and I'm gonna dress up like Brett. The best character in Alien.

Right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shouldn't have landed on this drat ball, I know that...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Gaz2k21 posted:

That actually sounds pretty rad I might invest it's only a few quid on eBay

I found its approach to graphics interesting. Similar to The Thing PC/PS2/XBox game it began life as a more slow paced adventure kind of deal but then was made into more of an action game. In order to make that possible and fit more than one Alien in there at a time while keeping things smooth (well, "smooth," this is PS1), the Alien models are super low resolution and poorly defined, however the rest of the game's graphics are actually very good for what the PSX is capable of. The lack of in-game music and putting all the graphical horsepower into the scenery makes it surprisingly moody for a grey corridor sci-fi kinda game of this kind. Once you get the disk if you run it on an emulator instead of a PS1 or PS3 it can be made to look about Quake II-ish. It's more linear than King's Field but fans of the deliberately paced From Software games would probably get a kick out of it, I know I did. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j01c1jLTc1k

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I found its approach to graphics interesting. Similar to The Thing PC/PS2/XBox game it began life as a more slow paced adventure kind of deal but then was made into more of an action game. In order to make that possible and fit more than one Alien in there at a time while keeping things smooth (well, "smooth," this is PS1), the Alien models are super low resolution and poorly defined, however the rest of the game's graphics are actually very good for what the PSX is capable of. The lack of in-game music and putting all the graphical horsepower into the scenery makes it surprisingly moody for a grey corridor sci-fi kinda game of this kind. Once you get the disk if you run it on an emulator instead of a PS1 or PS3 it can be made to look about Quake II-ish. It's more linear than King's Field but fans of the deliberately paced From Software games would probably get a kick out of it, I know I did. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j01c1jLTc1k

I'm completely unfamiliar with PSX emulation, how does it work? Do you use your PC's CD-ROM drive to read the game disc? How do the game controls work? (keyboard only? Mouse? Dualshock controller + adapter or something?)

I have my game disc handy somewhere, I'd never considered emulation. How does emulation improve it over running it on native console hardware?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I'm completely unfamiliar with PSX emulation, how does it work? Do you use your PC's CD-ROM drive to read the game disc? How do the game controls work? (keyboard only? Mouse? Dualshock controller + adapter or something?)

I have my game disc handy somewhere, I'd never considered emulation. How does emulation improve it over running it on native console hardware?

Generally you get an .iso file (essentially the disc image), or what amounts to one, and run that on an emulator along with some encoding/decoding file that you have to hunt down yourself because it's getting into not legal territory, even though the emulator would be useless without it.

Generally you're also using a :filez: copy of the game for simplicity's sake. A 360 controller will do, lovely d-pad and all, and I'm not sure the modern Playstation controllers work on PC yet.

I'm truncating the process here and possibly mixing up some terminology, but that's the basic setup.

PSX-era and after emulation tends to have compatibility issues with computer hardware that it was never designed to run on, so some games look shittier/have more problems than others.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
That's kind of just part of the price of emulating. Not even SNES emulators reliably recreate the experience of the original. We may be using exponentially better hardware, but it's still very different than what the games were built to run on.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

That's kind of just part of the price of emulating. Not even SNES emulators reliably recreate the experience of the original. We may be using exponentially better hardware, but it's still very different than what the games were built to run on.

People say this all the time but I can never tell the difference

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

People say this all the time but I can never tell the difference

Probably because you're not comparing them side by side.

This is really good lighting work. What are those, computer case fans?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is really good lighting work. What are those, computer case fans?

Thanks! It's just a window fan I had lying around. I used it way more than I should've.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe4Rj-bdp8Y

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Well, the compatibility on PSX-era stuff is such that for a long time, it wasn't playable without a very high-end computer, whereas you can run a SNES game on a toaster.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As expected, the Mondo alien day stuff sold out in seconds.

$225 for the loving liquid filled vinyl. Gone.

All the posters. Gone.

You can still get the soundtrack on black vinyl tho.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Well, the compatibility on PSX-era stuff is such that for a long time, it wasn't playable without a very high-end computer, whereas you can run a SNES game on a toaster.
Ehhhh that's a bit more complicated than you'd think. You can run SNES games on a toaster, but doing it accurately is another matter entirely. The SNES is notoriously difficult to emulate accurately without using a very high end mega-PC or custom built hardware, it's the reason why Nintendo only just now introduced SNES virtual console games on the New 3DS, because the old model couldn't handle it to Nintendo's standards.

Here's an interesting article about the difficulties in emulating SNES games:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

Ehhhh that's a bit more complicated than you'd think. You can run SNES games on a toaster, but doing it accurately is another matter entirely. The SNES is notoriously difficult to emulate accurately without using a very high end mega-PC or custom built hardware, it's the reason why Nintendo only just now introduced SNES virtual console games on the New 3DS, because the old model couldn't handle it to Nintendo's standards.

Here's an interesting article about the difficulties in emulating SNES games:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

This is an utter lie, you got to be joking. We got rules about :filez: but you do not need a "very high end mega-PC" to emulate the SNES.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Tenzarin posted:

This is an utter lie, you got to be joking. We got rules about :filez: but you do not need a "very high end mega-PC" to emulate the SNES.

Xenomrph is talking about 100% accuracy. There are a ton of games that play fine (and you would be hard pressed to notice) on wide range of PC hardware but to get a 100% one to one remake of the SNES on the PC can take serious power. Its something most people don't need to worry about or notice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Xenomrph posted:

Fortunately PS1 emulation is a lot better now and pretty easy to set up. People keep mentioning :filez: but you can just put your actual PSX disk in your computer's drive and have an emulator read it. While the emulation will of course not be 100% I've had a lot of success with it overall compared to where it was years ago with some games needing you to have them side by side or have you be very familiar with them to notice. This is on a computer that's like seven years old so I don't think you'll have a problem.

Any game pad you can get your computer to recognize should be fine, you can even get a PS4 controller to work, most people go with 360 (though I hate that pad since I like playing a lot of 2D games) but there are tons of options for that.

As far as improvements go it depends,, but in general if your computer can handle it you can play around with having the models be in higher resolutions and a few other effects. Generally I don't like any of them but the higher resolution is pretty cool for some games. Personally I like something as close to the original as possible.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

Read the article I linked, there's a difference between just getting an emulator to run something, and getting it to run something accurately to the original hardware. There are processor timing issues, frame rate issues, it's much more complicated than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Popping Alien in my player right now. Happy Alien Day!

I love made up holidays that give me an excuse to watch things.